GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Panoramic Roof - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Another reason I ordered "No Pano," was the thought that it added weight at the worst possible point for handling - the top.
One of my complainants withe the 167 chassis, even though it's significantly stiffer than the 166 before, is the "tippy, boatlike feel" that has been mentioned several times on this forum.
My E-ABC didn't fully fix that feel, but the AMG Ride Control does, at least without the Pano.
If I hadn't found a solution to the tippiness, I would have bought another brand.

So since handling and responsiveness is a priority for me, it was another reason to avoid the Pano roof. I know it's probably good for resale, but I didn't buy my car for the next owner.

In addition to the glass, I know Euro and US rollover tests essentially require super strengthening additions. VW was the first to comply with that testing with their small Tiguan's Pano in 2010-ish.
Does anybody know if there really IS a roof weight penalty with a pano?
Old 07-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
I lobe the pano as it provides exactly the ambient quality that was intended
Old 07-02-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Sounds like you want be be reassured that NO is the correct choice. Had a GLC with panoramic roof and I enjoyed it. It had a black interior. Now own a GLE with standard sunroof and I don’t miss the panoramic roof. My GLE has a beige interior, exterior is white, and the cabin is light and bright mainly because of the beige interior which I am very happy with. I bought my car out of dealer inventory, I would have taken the car with either roof. I purchased my GLE, for me it was about $1k savings.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Sounds like you want be be reassured that NO is the correct choice. Had a GLC with panoramic roof and I enjoyed it. It had a black interior. Now own a GLE with standard sunroof and I don’t miss the panoramic roof. My GLE has a beige interior, exterior is white, and the cabin is light and bright mainly because of the beige interior which I am very happy with. I bought my car out of dealer inventory, I would have taken the car with either roof. I purchased my GLE, for me it was about $1k savings.
I am not so much concerned over $1k savings as I am about practicality. Today I pulled in to my driveway and saw 4 very big branches (in 2 inch diameter and 4-5' length) on the ground where GLE would have been parked. Dealing with glass is far more difficult, costly than dealing with regular metal body panel. Then there is hail. You can fix the hail damaged roof and replace the small sunroof but this big panoramic roof is something else.

Then there is the function. I dont like that the only way for me to open the sunroof is to open the entire cover. Thats too much. Basically my rear passengers are stuck with my choice up front.

Lastly there is the weight and the overall penalty that gives you. 200+ lbs 5.5 feet from the ground is massive and will impact everything from mileage to road holding and how the car behaves in pretty much every scenario (including snow).
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
You can however "crack" the roof open without having the whole shade open. I keep my GLE parked outside 100% of the time and sometimes in the garage (the garage walls and doors are lattices so its practically outside) and it sees rain and I opted FOR the pano roof. For me I love that it lets in a lot of light when the shade is open. During the hot months I keep the shade closed but if it sits for a long time I will crack the roof so the hot air can escape quicker without having to open the whole shade to open the roof.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:27 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
I am not so much concerned over $1k savings as I am about practicality. Today I pulled in to my driveway and saw 4 very big branches (in 2 inch diameter and 4-5' length) on the ground where GLE would have been parked. Dealing with glass is far more difficult, costly than dealing with regular metal body panel. Then there is hail. You can fix the hail damaged roof and replace the small sunroof but this big panoramic roof is something else.

Then there is the function. I dont like that the only way for me to open the sunroof is to open the entire cover. Thats too much. Basically my rear passengers are stuck with my choice up front.

Lastly there is the weight and the overall penalty that gives you. 200+ lbs 5.5 feet from the ground is massive and will impact everything from mileage to road holding and how the car behaves in pretty much every scenario (including snow).
Sounds me like you've made your decision. You'll enjoy it either way.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:26 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 GLE450
Yay for me. I like the airy feeling of the interior. First car with pano roof for me and I'm liking it a lot.
bancroftdg (12-07-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by makris0000
You can however "crack" the roof open without having the whole shade open..
Not sure what "crack" here refers to. Is it to putting the pano roof to tilt/vent position? If yes, how is it possible without opening shades first? Once that button is touched, shades opens first.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agree with your choice for you circumstances.

However, that last weight related paragraph IMO is not applicable for roadholding in any conditions. Even if there's a weight penalty, it could only be felt on a track which this car will never see.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Agree with your choice for you circumstances.
However, that last weight related paragraph IMO is not applicable for roadholding in any conditions. Even if there's a weight penalty, it could only be felt on a track which this car will never see.
Weight on the lid IS a consideration, and it's noticeable when you're just out on a nice two-lane road, maybe viewing the fall colors. It's similar to the difference between "Comfort" and "Sport" modes, where "Comfort" raises the center of gravity. Not quite as pronounced, but similar.

"Fun to Drive" is hard to quantify, but with the V167 chassis, you can finally use that phrase.
You may not care, but others do.
Ron.s (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
You may not care, but others do.
Oh I care!!! Proof? I would not own nor drive a non-AMG SUV (power is "only" secondary, but handling is first)! Am driving my very mildly "tuned" 166 GLE43 and stock 166 ML63PP (both with Pano) exactly the same as (much smaller and much lower to the ground) my former 218 CLS550 (no Pano available) and 231 SL550 (Pano is standard). I feel NO Pano weight penalty in those SUVs.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh I care!!! Proof? I would not own nor drive a non-AMG SUV (power is "only" secondary, but handling is first)! Am driving my very mildly "tuned" 166 GLE43 and stock 166 ML63PP (both with Pano) exactly the same as (much smaller and much lower to the ground) my former 218 CLS550 (no Pano available) and 231 SL550 (Pano is standard). I feel NO Pano weight penalty in those SUVs.
I can definitely feel the difference. Steel suspension or air. Many hundred of miles in various configurations of V167, while they were working on our former '20 450. Probably 4,500 miles in total, just last year.
The Pano makes them feel like the M-B's of yore (2018 and prior) where it's like this: Turn the wheel, the car leans, then it turns. Without the Pano, it's like this: Turn the wheel, and the car turns. Notice I left out the "Leans first" part. It's quite noticeable to me, and objectionable.
E-ABC compensates somewhat, ARC probably fixes the problem, but I've never driven an ARC car with Pano.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:35 PM

GLE450
The weight at the highest point of a rolling object will impact the physics of that object exponentially. While we are not tracking these cars, we are still subject to law of physics.

Any kind of turning the top heavy object or avoiding an obstacle (pot holes/trailer tires/deer) will upset the vehicle much more than a less heavier of the same object.

I’ll also give you a real world example where this 200+ weight 65” above center of gravity might come into play. Imagine you are driving over 4-5” of snow and you are going down the hill and there is a turn coming to the left that banks to the right (so the car will have a massive understeer). 200+ lbs in this case might be difference of going off the road vs staying on the road.

The higher the weight is from tire contact height, the more negative role it plays. Plenty of youtube videos and animations in web that explains this. And you absolutely do not need a track car to experience the difference.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
A lot of Audi buyers take the Pano elimination for better handling, that’s why it’s offered. Audi lets you eliminate it with no reduction in price. I’m guessing the weight difference between Pano & Sunroof is less than 100 lbs but it is at the highest point on the car so the leveraged mass will act like it’s heavier. I agree with the ARC suspension & no Pano there is zero roll…much better than my 450 in Sport. Most is probably the suspension.
mikapen (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 04:59 PM

GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
A lot of Audi buyers take the Pano elimination for better handling, that’s why it’s offered. Audi lets you eliminate it with no reduction in price. I’m guessing the weight difference between Pano & Sunroof is less than 100 lbs but it is at the highest point on the car so the leveraged mass will act like it’s heavier. I agree with the ARC suspension & no Pano there is zero roll…much better than my 450 in Sport. Most is probably the suspension.
I actually heard around 210 lbs of delta. But the salesperson might be wrong. The glass in pano roof is thicker than regular sunroof (and glass always weighs more than aluminum). Then you have the larger motor and the rails and the screen and the interior mechanism for rolling the interior screen. All of them add a lot of weight.
The following 2 users liked this post by FirstSUVOwner:
mikapen (07-03-2021), Ron.s (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 09:18 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Not sure what "crack" here refers to. Is it to putting the pano roof to tilt/vent position? If yes, how is it possible without opening shades first? Once that button is touched, shades opens first.
Yes tilt/vent. I couldn’t find the words when I first posted that

Instead of pushing the button back top open the shade, push it up and it should tilt the sunroof open while opening the shade slightly.
mikapen (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually heard around 210 lbs of delta. But the salesperson might be wrong. The glass in pano roof is thicker than regular sunroof (and glass always weighs more than aluminum). Then you have the larger motor and the rails and the screen and the interior mechanism for rolling the interior screen. All of them add a lot of weight.

100 lbs is a lot…210 would be huge in some corners with normal air suspension. I had the Pano in my GLE 450 and had a decent amount of lean even in Sport. It’s hard to compare now with just a Sunroof and ARC that works so much better than just standard air. The AMG 21’s with V rated tires also work much better than the H rated 20’s. The 20’s had some side to side sway carving corners at speed…none of that now. These are a lot of fun to drive in either configuration.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:31 PM

350 GLE 4matic
Really Guys? This sounds like guys who play pickup games of basketball and buy $200 sneakers and where all the gear and at the end of the day it makes no difference in their game . If your playing in the NBA then subtle things make a difference. If your in this forum and getting into this at that level, it starts to sound like a wannabe that couldn't make the cut and is trying to sound impressive. For Peet's sake, it's just a pano roof...either ya like it or ya don't....it's personal taste..nuff said
Old 07-03-2021, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
Really Guys? This sounds like guys who play pickup games of basketball and buy $200 sneakers and where all the gear and at the end of the day it makes no difference in their game . If your playing in the NBA then subtle things make a difference. If your in this forum and getting into this at that level, it starts to sound like a wannabe that couldn't make the cut and is trying to sound impressive. For Peet's sake, it's just a pano roof...either ya like it or ya don't....it's personal taste..nuff said
Huh? Here we have people with opinions that the OP asked for, and you have opinions on the participants. Or just ridicule.

Do you have an opinion on the Pano roof? Experience driving with and without?
That's what we'd like to see. Thanks.
Ron.s (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
I’m a little tired of trading insults tonight so will let your dumb comment go. Don’t be so quick to judge others by your experience, ability or how you drive. You bought a GLE 350 so one wouldn’t expect that you drive it aggressively…it’s not in its DNA. You might be surprised at how much different the AMG’s with ARC & good tires handle on a two lane road with lots of corners. There are still a few of us around that know the difference. Take one for a test drive sometime.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I’m a little tired of trading insults tonight so will let your dumb comment go. Don’t be so quick to judge others by your experience, ability or how you drive. You bought a GLE 350 so one wouldn’t expect that you drive it aggressively…it’s not in its DNA. You might be surprised at how much different the AMG’s with ARC & good tires handle on a two lane road with lots of corners. There are still a few of us around that know the difference. Take one for a test drive sometime.
Yes, take advice from this guy who bought a soccer mom "53" because he couldn't swing a real "63" AMG. This is comical.
Mcfancy14 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by makris0000
Yes tilt/vent. I couldn’t find the words when I first posted that

Instead of pushing the button back top open the shade, push it up and it should tilt the sunroof open while opening the shade slightly.
Maybe something changed on the 2021 GLE's, but on our 2020 when you push the button up to tilt/vent the glass, the shade slides all the way to the back before the roof tilts open and there's no way that I know of to stop the shade from FULLY retracting - any time we want to tilt or slide the roof open, the shade fully retracts which is probably my biggest pet peeve about the GLE (aside from past electrical issues, but that's another story). By comparison, we also have a Macan and Tiguan, both of which will slide the sun shade back about 6 inches when you tilt/vent the roof and you don't have to fully retract the shade when you have the pano fully open.

Can anyone else with a 2020 GLE comment if there roof also operates like this (i.e. sun shade fully opens anytime you tilt or slide the roof open)? Maybe there's a fix that can be done to reprogram it to operate like Makris described if there was a change with the 2021's...

Last edited by audi40; 07-04-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
I just tried it on my 21 and it does tilt up and shade retracts about an inch too 2
Old 07-04-2021, 10:06 AM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by audi40
Maybe something changed on the 2021 GLE's, but on our 2020 when you push the button up to tilt/vent the glass, the shade slides all the way to the back before the roof tilts open and there's no way that I know of to stop the shade from FULLY retracting - any time we want to tilt or slide the roof open, the shade fully retracts which is probably my biggest pet peeve about the GLE (aside from past electrical issues, but that's another story). By comparison, we also have a Macan and Tiguan, both of which will slide the sun shade back about 6 inches when you tilt/vent the roof and you don't have to fully retract the shade when you have the pano fully open.

Can anyone else with a 2020 GLE comment if there roof also operates like this (i.e. sun shade fully opens anytime you tilt or slide the roof open)? Maybe there's a fix that can be done to reprogram it to operate like Makris described if there was a change with the 2021's...
Yes, I could have swore the shade in my 2020 could be opened partially and you could pop open the moon roof by pushing up on the button. However, I just had the MBUX s/w updated at the dealer. Apparently they did a complete reinstall, lost my user preferences. When I went out to test it before my post, I found the shade opens all the way now even when I push up on the button. Apparently it depends on the software. Later versions appear to have eliminated this feature....or I’m getting old and beginning to lose my mind. In which case....what was I saying?

Last edited by TexAg91; 07-04-2021 at 10:12 AM.
audi40 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 09:01 PM

350 GLE 4matic
Originally Posted by mikapen
Huh? Here we have people with opinions that the OP asked for, and you have opinions on the participants. Or just ridicule.

Do you have an opinion on the Pano roof? Experience driving with and without?
That's what we'd like to see. Thanks.

Ok, let us know.when you return from your grand prix circuit and can extoll on the effects of the g forces as well as the ft lbs of torque created by that extra pano weight....again, it's just a pano roof,,,either like it or don't.
E55Greasemonkey (07-04-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof - Yay or Nay?