Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:14 PM

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
My 1995 W124 had a metal sunroof... and that was fine with me
Old 12-07-2023, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
If you ever have passengers, and enjoy driving through scenic areas, a big sunroof is a plus.

​​​​​​Even if you're alone in the car, the pano roof gives better views of forests, mountains and other scenery.

My previous three Mercedes had pano roofs, and never had any problem. No rattles squeaks or malfunctions in a few hundred thousand miles.
(I did have a problem with my regular sunroof on a c-class, when it decided not to close fully on the road in a snowstorm. That's when I learned about synchronizing windows and sunroofs.)

I ordered my current AMG 53 for occasional track use, and omitted the pano roof for weight reasons.

Since I'm only at the track a few times a year, I wish I had ordered the big roof. I missed it when looking at fall foliage this year.

Resale is another reason. The take rate on pano roofs is high, indicating more desirability, similar to a trailer hitch.

Last edited by mikapen; 12-07-2023 at 01:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikapen:
BlueYonder (12-07-2023), chrislk55 (12-07-2023), wildta (12-07-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 09:17 PM

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by cometguy
No: MB dealerships do NOT generally spec their lot cars with glass in their roofs because people want it; they do it to make money, period. They con people into thinking that they somehow need/want glass in their roofs.
I think that if everybody looked at all the pros and cons of glass in car roofs, the majority of people would just say "no" to glass roofs. Is it really that important to have extra light in the cabin? Windows all around the car (front, back, sides) isn't enough?! seriously?!
I won't be so sure here. For some (many? most?), light is certainly important. My wife wanted all the light she could get, so pano roof was a requirement to whatever vehicle we decide to get. Additionally, we picked light colored headliner when default was just black. The reason was similar - dark headliners, for some, make it feel less roomy and "pressuring".

If I were to guess, most customers do not even know that panoramic roofs have downsides. So those who do, they may still choose it. Dealers will actually be taking risks not to spec the cars with them.

Last edited by stktyz33; 12-08-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I asked my “very honest” SA a few questions about how they spec cars for inventory…as the senior guy he normally does the orders. There are standards they use for colors and options. For example, they almost always include DAP and a Pano roof on the GLE. Colors like Black, White or Selenite Grey are safer colors. The reason given is that the majority of local buyers want DAP & a Pano roof and are less likely to buy without one. A black car always sells. Those that don’t want a Pano roof or DAP might still take the vehicle.
When vehicles for Dealer inventory were more available, they were more flexible with selections. The last few years they rarely have unsold GLE’s more than a week or two. BEV inventory is another story.
My incoming GLE was an order for inventory, Black with DAP. We had a discussion then about why they order so many black cars and always include DAP & the Pano. He said they do limit options to the most popular to keep the price reasonable. They seem more interested in ordering what sells quickly based on what customers want without loading MSRP too high. Other Dealers May have a different approach…
Old 12-08-2023, 11:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
XC60 T8 ER; pondering GLE 450e
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I asked my “very honest” SA a few questions about how they spec cars for inventory…as the senior guy he normally does the orders. There are standards they use for colors and options. For example, they almost always include DAP and a Pano roof on the GLE. Colors like Black, White or Selenite Grey are safer colors. The reason given is that the majority of local buyers want DAP & a Pano roof and are less likely to buy without one. A black car always sells. Those that don’t want a Pano roof or DAP might still take the vehicle.
When vehicles for Dealer inventory were more available, they were more flexible with selections. The last few years they rarely have unsold GLE’s more than a week or two. BEV inventory is another story.
My incoming GLE was an order for inventory, Black with DAP. We had a discussion then about why they order so many black cars and always include DAP & the Pano. He said they do limit options to the most popular to keep the price reasonable. They seem more interested in ordering what sells quickly based on what customers want without loading MSRP too high. Other Dealers May have a different approach…
Interesting. I've heard some similar stuff from Mercedes and Porsche dealers about pano roofs. But I can't find a GLE 450e on any dealership lot (six different dealerships so far in my area) costing under $82k, so I don't buy that they try to keep MSRP down. If I buy a GLE 450e, it'll be a special order and will MSRP at about $73k; all I'll be ordering that costs money above the standard vehicle are DAP, heated steering wheel/wipers, and gray interior wood. If I'm going to spend $85k-$90k on a car, it ain't gonna be a GLE; I'm going Cayenne at that point.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 558 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by cometguy
If I'm going to spend $85k-$90k on a car, it ain't gonna be a GLE; I'm going Cayenne at that point.
The last time I looked, I would have had to spend about 20% more to get the same features that I wanted in a GLE vs Cayenne. Price wasn't a major factor for me but rear legroom, torque, and lux interior (including pano) were. Cayenne hit all of that except for rear legroom.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Past: 2017 GLE350; Present: 2024 GLE450
Not sure whether to start a new thread or add on to this one.... In the market for a new GLE450. As others already mentioned in this thread, most inventory has the pano roof. Someone mentioned and I agree this added option is to increase vehicle price. Whether the general population or GLE owners really want it or not, my guess is about 90% of the GLEs out there have it. Here are some questions for those reading this....
Question 1: Maintenance issues with the pano roof?
Question 2: The pano roof shade does not look to be 100% opaque. How good is it on a hot sunny day on a road trip? Anyone know of any third party retrofit to make it shade darker?
Question 3: Those who already have ownership experience with pano roof. Would you get your next vehicle with it, without it, or don't care.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
V167
Pano Nay

I am not a fan. I have them in my Ford SD and the GLE 63S. Both are never opened. The Ford sunscreen is much better as it appears as a headliner and no sunlight gets through. On the MB you can tell there is a pano above.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
  1. Nothing major. Every other year you should lube it and clear the drains (plenty of YouTube videos as DIY)
  2. It's decent but you could get a ceramic tint like many people do in the southwest, TX, and Florida.
  3. I would on an SUV. I like opening it on cloudy days and evenings.

The following users liked this post:
djgiovanni (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:22 AM

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Originally Posted by freiwill01
In the market for a new GLE450. As others already mentioned in this thread, most inventory has the pano roof. Here are some questions for those reading this....
1: Maintenance issues with the pano roof? Simple lubrication of the rails every 20k, if I remember correctly. Years ago, in our W212, we had a nasty and frightening "POP" noise in our pano roof, which the dealer fixed under warranty (major job).
2: The pano roof shade does not look to be 100% opaque. How good is it on a hot sunny day on a road trip? The shade is NOT fully opaque in the GLE/GLS, like it is in the W222. I had our roof tinted, mostly to reduce heat.
3: Those who already have ownership experience with pano roof. Would you get your next vehicle with it, without it, or don't care. If ordering one, I would not choose pano roof. However, if I found an otherwise perfect GLE already built, I wouldn't pass on it, just because it had pano.

Remember, the GLE/GLS comes with a standard sunroof, if pano roof is not selected (unlike in the GLC, which has zero sunroof if pano roof isn't fitted). Point being, it's not an "all or nothing" proposition. If you think the standard sunroof will do what you want, save a grand.

Happy Ordering!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 450 and S 450
Originally Posted by freiwill01
Not sure whether to start a new thread or add on to this one.... In the market for a new GLE450. As others already mentioned in this thread, most inventory has the pano roof. Someone mentioned and I agree this added option is to increase vehicle price. Whether the general population or GLE owners really want it or not, my guess is about 90% of the GLEs out there have it. Here are some questions for those reading this....
Question 1: Maintenance issues with the pano roof?
Question 2: The pano roof shade does not look to be 100% opaque. How good is it on a hot sunny day on a road trip? Anyone know of any third party retrofit to make it shade darker?
Question 3: Those who already have ownership experience with pano roof. Would you get your next vehicle with it, without it, or don't care.
I didnt get it and couldnt be happier. I opted for the aromatic suspension which is unbelievable feels like driving in the clouds. Acoustic comport also but I probably wouldnt do that again, cant tell if its doing anything. Neither of those add resell value to the car though. Its driver preference only, Thank you for letting me know also
Old 05-22-2024, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I'll say this about Pano roofs in the 167 Mercedes. Most brands and models, including my 166, have more creaks and groans with the big sunroof.
The 167 chassis is stronger, and the pano seems less "structural" so it's not a trade-off.

I ordered my 53 without a pano roof to lower the center of gravity, because I wanted to take the car to the track, which I do.

I think the take rate on pano roofs is quite high, so although I don't think it adds trade-in value, I think I might suffer some "desirability factor" when I go to dispose of the car.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
I am in the process of ordering a MY22 GLE450 and trying to decide whether or not I should get the panoramic roof. Here is some background on our use cases/location:

- Northeast US
- Car is kept outside 100% of the time
- It will see rain/snow/branches/etc falling on it (a lot of oak trees covering our driveway)
- We drive 15-20,000 miles/year
- Only 1 child who is 11

I dont know how much the glass roof weighs (probably a lot) vs the standard. I also dont know how durable this glass is and how forgiving it will be considering the car is kept outside all the time. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this especially those of you who have had this in their car. I unfortunately have not been able to find a car with panoramic roof so I dont even know how it will look like.

Our car will be either white or mojave silver with beige interior (and beige headliner).

Thanks
I have the pano now on a GLC and wish I did not. The problem is the shade is only half way shaded. Thus a lot of sun gets in, making the interior hot and also washing out the digital instrument cluster and intotainment screen.
mikapen (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 04:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE53 '24
I think it's one of those options where once you have it on a car, you must have it on all future cars.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tifrazvan
I think it's one of those options where once you have it on a car, you must have it on all future cars.
I agree with this. I had one on my 2017 GLE 350 and it was a must when I got my 2024 GLE 350. I looked at one with just the normal sunroof and couldn't do it. Even though I don't ride in the backseat, I know my son enjoys looking through it in the back.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:06 AM

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Also agree - although I pretty much never open it (and if I do, I can only open it partway because of the roof crossbars which interfere), the feeling of openness and more brightness is a big plus for anyone who sits in the back. My 3 young kids appreciate it, it's nice to be able to look out at the sky on long road trips. And even if I never open the glass portion, opening and closing the fabric part sometimes acts as a distraction for the rear-facing baby who has nothing else to look at and can get irritated

No issues with it since picking up my 2020 GLE in late 2019. No creaks/noises/rattles or anything else.
mikapen (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 04:00 PM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
I Would not consider one without the Pano roof. have had them on all Mercs and never had any issues or weird noises.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:18 PM

Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated Been researching these past couple months comparing prices of those with and without the pano roof. Best deals are still those with pano because there are just more of them around. Anyone in the market now should be able to get at least 3k-5k (with or without the amex incentive).
Old 05-24-2024, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
...24 GLE53
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Yes, take advice from this guy who bought a soccer mom "53" because he couldn't swing a real "63" AMG. This is comical.
And do you think your 20 year old E55 indicates superior prosperity. Secondly the soccer Mom would leave you in the dust.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
...24 GLE53
Do you guys think the extra weight for a pano roof actually makes a difference in a 5,000 lb vehicle. Also if road handling at high speed is that important, do not buy an SUV. They are all mediocre at best. The pano roof is worth every nickel in cases where it bis optional. I would not have a vehicle without it.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by petee1997
Do you guys think the extra weight for a pano roof actually makes a difference in a 5,000 lb vehicle. Also if road handling at high speed is that important, do not buy an SUV. They are all mediocre at best. The pano roof is worth every nickel in cases where it bis optional. I would not have a vehicle without it.
I'm with you but good thing it's optional because others do want better handling in their everyday vehicle where they require the space. Nothing wrong with an aggressive driver choosing no pano for increased handling, even if minimal. It's physics so yes it will make a difference but maybe most would not notice it with their particular daily driving style.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Put in our order for 2025 GLE53 and our salesman said pano roof is standard and can't get one with plain moon roof. Had pano on our 2018 GLE 43 and hated it. The screen was sheer and it was hot in the vehicle during summer (especially being I'm Vin Diesel bald). Even with it closed and screen my head fried like and egg. Planned on tinting the glass but never got around to it before our lease was up. Vowed to never get a pano roof again but now we're stuck with one for 2025 GLE53. Will definitely tint the glass this time ASAP. Was surprised it was standard and not optional. Grrrr.

Last edited by phoenixone; 05-26-2024 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by wildta
I'm with you but good thing it's optional because others do want better handling in their everyday vehicle where they require the space. Nothing wrong with an aggressive driver choosing no pano for increased handling, even if minimal. It's physics so yes it will make a difference but maybe most would not notice it with their particular daily driving style.
Drove a gle450 today, not sure if it’s the added weight of the pano roof but feels a bit more roll on highway cornering. I’m definitely not an aggressive driver.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
Pano is great for the city, but in general the car gets unbearably hot from UV radiation even when it's moderate outside. Pan o probably contributes, but also my dark green paint. I'm going to add near clear ceramic tint and I'm betting that will make a big difference.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE53 '24
A lot of options got moved to the standard list with the facelift, especially with the AMG versions.
I did a configuration two years ago for a gle53 and a lot of the options I got standard on my 24' model were options then.
Not a big fan of the way you can configure a new GLE, where you have to buy packages instead of individual options, works great for Mercedes, not so great for customers.