GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Cancelled order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TempeAndy
That's a tough question.
* For quality of materials, the Cayenne has the edge. Though I would have gladly optioned premium leather on the GLE if it was available in a color other than black. GLE's sun visors are 10x better than the poor ones on the Cayenne. Ordering the "Topstitched MB-Tex upper dash and door trim" is a major improvement to the luxury feel of the GLE.
* My wife and the kids prefer the spaciousness and practicality of the GLE. The trunk space almost defies logic in its generous size. The GLE is a comfortable car, perhaps slightly quieter than the Cayenne. We have the acoustic package on both, don't ever skip this option unless you're on a tight budget.
* I prefer the adaptive sport seats in my Cayenne, which you cannot pair with massage. The massage on the GLE is great, but the seat cushion felt a bit too thin on 6+ hour road trips (but still tolerable).
* The 580 engine and transmission pairing is glorious; it is incredibly smooth and responsive until you get to higher speeds, where the Cayenne turbo engine shines.

There's a ton of information over on Rennlist, too, even a few threads comparing the GLE and Cayenne: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...yenne-gts.html
That's a pretty good comparison. I prefer the base leather on the Cayenne over the MB-Tex, but I like the Exclusive Nappa that we have, and I like black so that's good. (The dash, and all touch surfaces, are top-stitched Nappa Leather, N/C with the Exclusive, and quite nice.)

But a caution about the Cayenne seats - if you are considering the 18-way adjustable seats, make sure you spend some time in them before you buy.
Both me, 6' and my wife 5'4" found the bottom side bolsters too tight, but not where you'd expect. They bite into the front of our thighs, just behind the knees. The bolster angle doesn't allow you sit with your knees aimed anywhere other than straight ahead, and it doesn't allow full pedal access. This was on our Macan, which we traded because of the 18-way. Our Cayenne had 14-way and they were great.
And the Porsche sunroof sunshade and glass do a better job of heat rejection than the M-B.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
'21 GLE 580, '20 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by mikapen
I prefer the base leather on the Cayenne over the MB-Tex, but I like the Exclusive Nappa that we have, and I like black so that's good. (The dash, and all touch surfaces, are top-stitched Nappa Leather, N/C with the Exclusive, and quite nice.)
My wife insists on light colored interiors, convinced the darker colors are too hot to sit in (well, we do live in PHX). If it had been my choice, I would have gone for the Exclusive Nappa, I bet it's terrific.

But a caution about the Cayenne seats - if you are considering the 18-way adjustable seats, make sure you spend some time in them before you buy.
Both me, 6' and my wife 5'4" found the bottom side bolsters too tight, but not where you'd expect. They bite into the front of our thighs, just behind the knees. The bolster angle doesn't allow you sit with your knees aimed anywhere other than straight ahead, and it doesn't allow full pedal access. This was on our Macan, which we traded because of the 18-way. Our Cayenne had 14-way and they were great.
You're entirely correct that everyone has a different fit based on their height, body shape, preferences, etc. It's even possible that the Cayenne's 18-ways would be all right, even though the Macan's 18-ways didn't work for you. For me, the Cayenne's 18-ways have been sublime, but there is a ton of debate on Porsche forums of 14-way vs. 18-way for every model, and like you said the only right answer is to try them out and get what feels better -- it's like a pair of shoes. For me, the GLE's bolsters feel a bit too tight, but I do get used to them pretty quickly.

And the Porsche sunroof sunshade and glass do a better job of heat rejection than the M-B.
Just about every time I try to open the pano roof on the Cayenne, I have to close it due to glare from direct sunlight (this is not a knock against the Cayenne, just that PHX gets a lot of sun and hardly ever has any cloud cover). So we decided to skip pano on the GLE entirely.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I cancelled my GLE 63 order for the same reasons but am not sure Porsche or Audi are much better. What are you finding about availability and options on Porsche? I’ve been waiting and waiting for a Cayenne to test drive that isn’t pre-sold…they will let me take it for a few days.

The Audi RSQ8 & SQ8 orders are being delayed. A number of Audi V8’s are using a lot of oil…troublesome to me. At least Porsche /Audi seem to be leaving options intact and delaying delivery, a better choice, IMO.

Edit: I assume they use the same engine although the Audi SQ8 is rated at more HP than the GTS…500hp. Here’s one thread-
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/2021-sq8-low-oil-3015438/

T
here’s a link posted in a thread to CR where they say…

Excessive oil consumption isn't normal

Automakers say adding oil between scheduled changes is acceptable. It's not.

Porsche is different than MB in that while allocations are definitely less, when an allocation is assigned to an order, options dont magically disappear and you are not in this fingers crossed mode for months. If they say we’ll build your car, you get you car. They also either accept or reject, there is no guessing if packages will make it or not.

Interestingly though the MB dealer told me they have an accepted GLE 63S That I can change the color etc and they are saying this car will not be cancelled. I am debating between that vs Cayenne GTS. Cayenne is 140k MSRP vs G63S 128k MSRP. I know the pros and cons of both cars but still cant make up my mind. I cant test drive either car. Part of me likes the Porsche mentality of “less is better”. I know all about how “just 500hp” my GT3RS is perfect but then part of me says maybe the SUV is one car where you want a big tank rocket ship combo.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by FirstSUVOwner
Porsche is different than MB in that while allocations are definitely less, when an allocation is assigned to an order, options dont magically disappear and you are not in this fingers crossed mode for months. If they say we’ll build your car, you get you car. They also either accept or reject, there is no guessing if packages will make it or not.

Interestingly though the MB dealer told me they have an accepted GLE 63S That I can change the color etc and they are saying this car will not be cancelled. I am debating between that vs Cayenne GTS. Cayenne is 140k MSRP vs G63S 128k MSRP. I know the pros and cons of both cars but still cant make up my mind. I cant test drive either car. Part of me likes the Porsche mentality of “less is better”. I know all about how “just 500hp” my GT3RS is perfect but then part of me says maybe the SUV is one car where you want a big tank rocket ship combo.
I didn’t clarify my comparison very well…the Audi SQ8 is 500hp, Porsche GTS 453hp. The excess oil report bothers the hell out of me. Im going to wait a few months and see if anything changes on availability.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I didn’t clarify my comparison very well…the Audi SQ8 is 500hp, Porsche GTS 453hp. The excess oil report bothers the hell out of me. Im going to wait a few months and see if anything changes on availability.
Sorry, you are right. I also didnt read your post fully.

About the oil consumption:

- My GT350 drinks 1 qt every 1250 miles since mile 2 (now 70,000)
- ZR1 is 1 qt every 2500 miles
- GT3RS has had 0 consumption in 6500 miles, literally zero

Every car is different. The TT V8 BMW uses were more or less like my ZR1. The S65 engine M3 used were like my GT350. I think its very hard to engineer these things to be both reliable and also not consume any oil. I have owned many of these performance cars and the only non oil consuming is GT3RS. And I know for a fact that for that car, earlier models (pre lci, 991.1) also consumed oil. Its only this particular .2 4.0 liter engine with hydraulic lifters dont use any oil. The oil consumption does not bother me at all. The worse issue you will have is catalytic converter failure which will most likely happen around 100,000 miles. I dont think cost would be too high to replace it.

How are the AMG V8s that are in GLE63S?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
[QUOTEHow are the AMG V8s that are in GLE63S?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen any similar oil consumption reports on the Mercedes V8.

It seems to be hit & miss with the Audi SQ & RSQ V8. Some do-some don’t. Several people are going through the process with the Dealer to track the amount hoping to get a fix under warranty.
IMO…there is no reason to use a quart in 500 to 1200 miles. If it’s the rings not seated you start to build carbon deposits on top of the pistons. Valve guides don’t need a lot of oil and modern engines have close tolerances. Modern oil also has far superior lubricity to those oils of 15-20 years ago.
Your comment about the Catalitic Converter would indicate that it’s probably the rings not seating.