GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Switch from AT&T to T-Mobile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 GLS580
Last response from T-Mobile. Not looking good and a lot of us may have to wait until Mercedes rolls out the OTA update to switch to T-Mobile as my 2020 still defaults to AT&T when trying to add a data plan.
Dear Mr. *****,

thank you for your request to the "HotSpot Drive" team and please excuse the delay.

We have contacted the relevant department but unfortunately have not yet received confirmation that the update has been successfully completed.

As soon as we receive a new information, we will contact you immediately.

We regret not being able to give you a positive feedback yet and are here for you in case of further questions.

Kind regards,

Your HotSpot Drive Support Team

Tel: 001 8337791024 (United States) | freecall | Mon.- Sat.| 08:00 am - 11:00 pm EST

Tel: 001 8335301317 (Canada) | freecall | Mon.- Sat.| 08:00 am - 11:00 pm AST
Old 09-29-2021, 04:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 53 Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Amaky
For anyone interested, here are the details relating to T-mobile hotspot subscription plans:
https://www.daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com/#/infos/product
When I opened the MBUX browser, it led me to the subscription page.
Here in Canada, the plans start at $15/month for 2GB data volume.
I can't get the system to send me a confirmation email. how did you get past that point?
Old 09-29-2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Amaky
For anyone interested, here are the details relating to T-mobile hotspot subscription plans:
https://www.daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com/#/infos/product
When I opened the MBUX browser, it led me to the subscription page.
Here in Canada, the plans start at $15/month for 2GB data volume.
So I finally got the email for verification but now I can't add my vehicle. I tried to connect to the vehicle hotspot and sub from there however it still goes to AT&T which doesn't let you pick Mercedes as the manufacturer? How did you get it connected?
Old 09-29-2021, 05:16 PM

2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by Swordfish99
So I finally got the email for verification but now I can't add my vehicle. I tried to connect to the vehicle hotspot and sub from there however it still goes to AT&T which doesn't let you pick Mercedes as the manufacturer? How did you get it connected?
Per Mercedes they will be sending a software update out some time this year to switch it from AT&T to T-Mobile.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have no idea why M-B would do this. T-Mobile coverage is spotty, and their customer support is awful. I think the staff gets rewarded for Conquest Sales, and unwinding a T-Mobile trial is almost impossible.
We signed up for T-Mobile, found that we couldn't get a signal at home, work, or the cabin. And of course, since we had to make the call on our T-Mobile phone to cancel, we couldn't cancel without going to the store. But of the twenty or so stores in the nearby area, only one was equipped to do the cancel. But they weren't trained on how to do that, so it took 1 1/2 months, basically without cell service, to go back to Verizon. (Well, I overstated. I could drive about 2 miles to make a phone call, but I had to stay RIGHT THERE to keep a 1 bar signal.)

So I guess, if you're in a Big City you can get service. I would want service on my car if was AWAY from the Big City.
End of rant.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:16 PM

So I sent an email to MB and this is the reply I got. it is different than the replies that says the update will come in September.

<start>Mercedes Benz has changed its provider for the provision of the WiFi connection and is now working with T-Mobile for this and no longer with AT&T.

However, the vehicles require a software update for the changeover, which should take place in the background.

We have received feedback from the manufacturer that this necessary update could not be carried out in the background for all vehicles as planned.

In this case, after connecting to the vehicle's WiFi, you will not be able to access our portal page (www.daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com), but will still be redirected to a page from AT&T.

In many cases, this update can only be instructed directly by the manufacturer.

Therefore, please forward your request and VIN directly to Mercedes customer service.

Either by using the contact form at https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/cont...ct-information

or by emailing me-connect.can@cac.mercedes-benz.com

or by phone at (1) 800-367-6372.
<End>
I have emailed them my VIN and will wait for a response.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:38 PM

2020 GLS580
So I sent an email to MB and this is the reply I got. it is different than the replies that says the update will come in September.

<start>Mercedes Benz has changed its provider for the provision of the WiFi connection and is now working with T-Mobile for this and no longer with AT&T.

However, the vehicles require a software update for the changeover, which should take place in the background.

We have received feedback from the manufacturer that this necessary update could not be carried out in the background for all vehicles as planned.

In this case, after connecting to the vehicle's WiFi, you will not be able to access our portal page (www.daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com), but will still be redirected to a page from AT&T.

In many cases, this update can only be instructed directly by the manufacturer.

Therefore, please forward your request and VIN directly to Mercedes customer service.

Either by using the contact form at https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/cont...ct-information

or by emailing me-connect.can@cac.mercedes-benz.com

or by phone at (1) 800-367-6372.
<End>
I have emailed them my VIN and will wait for a response.
I called yesterday and opened a case. They stated it should take 5-10 business days.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Not just Hotspot is changing ALSO all Mercedes Me will be all TMobile

The change not only affects hot spot service. The Mercedes Me app uses the AT&T or soon to be TMobile service so if you don't have a Strong LTE signal your Mercedes Me app will not work. No remote start, no notifications no remote lock and no Navigation search etc. I already experienced this on a recent triip to Northern Ontario where none of these services worked. The Mercedes me app showed my GLS was somewhere else with the engine running. Mercedes Customer service explained this to me and said it should improve with TMobile. I had a good cell signal with mt phone but the CS rep told me you must have a strong LTE signal for Mercedes me. I do not have a hotspot plan. The CS person was trying to tell me it would be better with TMobile but i showed her where I spend a lot of time in the Florida Keys and TMobile service is poor - she admitted I would not have service there.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The T-Mobile Sales Team must have been very convincing.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:03 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
I have heard nothing from Mercedes about the switch and still am somewhat confused. Am I correct in presuming that AT&T will no longer work and I must transition to T-Mobile? AT&T still working as of tonight (9/30/21)
The following users liked this post:
cupecoy (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by nsoltz
I have heard nothing from Mercedes about the switch and still am somewhat confused. Am I correct in presuming that AT&T will no longer work and I must transition to T-Mobile? AT&T still working as of tonight (9/30/21)
My understanding is AT&T will work until you get the update sent by MB which is anybody's guess.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
Originally Posted by nsoltz
MB will not transition your service from AT&T to T-Mobile as long as you have a data plan with AT&T (as it was mentioned in the above video). Only if you have no plan with AT&T any longer, then you'll be switched automatically at the next over the air software update. But I have to say, although T-Mobile was nowhere about 5 years ago, they are one of the major wireless player today. Especially when it comes to a data. As of today, they are the largest, fastest, and most reliable 5G network in the U.S. And it looks like they are highly ambitious and they will grow faster than any competition. Of course, if you have a 5G capable device. Even though at the moment, Verizon is still a king in very rural areas, I think it will change very soon. Also, I like T-Mobile unlimited plan, their low prices, and also I like their GSM sim cards. If you travel around the world, you can quickly get service by changing the card on your phone to any local one. Or I usually use the Wi-Fi calling to call from anywhere around the world for free, as long as you have any wi-fi connection. Their service and coverage is excellent here in So. California.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Thanks. Now I get it. I have a monthly AT&T plan so will not be transitioned. Since I really only care about internet radio and our cell service is AT&T, easier just to have one account and one on-going monthly bill
Old 10-06-2021, 01:03 PM

I got another update email from MB on this issue. I am not sure when or even if I will get this update based on this email I got. Asking me to park my vehicle outside for extended periods of time really isn't an option, especially when they can't even give me a range when my vehicle will be updated. Here is the email response:<START>To give you some context, to improve network coverage and performance, earlier this summer, Daimler and Mercedes-Benz Canada chose T-Mobile as their new telecommunications provider. Moving forward, new vehicles will be manufactured with a Global Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) SIM card. Model year 2019-2021 connected vehicles will transition from AT&T to T-Mobile via an over-the-air (OTA) update. The update will occur in the background without causing any impact to connected services. After completion, the vehicle will then operate on the T-Mobile network and customers will be able to purchase new data plans again.

Owners can determine their current provider by connecting to the vehicle’s Wi-Fi hotspot, which will redirect them to the provider’s homepage. Customers who wish to purchase a new data plan, with a vehicle that is now on T-Mobile will first need to register and create an account on the T-Mobile website (https://daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com). Once your account created, you will need to connect to your vehicle’s hotspot for the SIM card to transfer the information and to complete the registration.

We went ahead and verified your VIN and can confirm that the vehicle is currently still operating with AT&T. Unfortunately, it is not possible to schedule an over-the-air update to have your vehicle changed to the new network. There is not much we can do at this time as we need to wait until the satellite switches over your vehicle's SIM card.

We recommend to drive frequently and to sometimes park the vehicle outdoors (if its normally in a garage) to allow the over-the-air updates to process. Customers with a vehicle that missed the updates should receive a letter from Mercedes-Benz Canada in the upcoming weeks as Daimler is trying to complete the switch by end of year. More instructions will be provided at that time. What recommend contacting your local Mercedes-Benz dealership to book a service appointment to ensure the telematics module of your vehicle is updated to its latest version. Without the telecommunications module update, the SIM Card over-the-air switch cannot happen.
<END>
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (10-06-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
E53
Has anyone actually received the over-the-air update to transition to T-Mobile?
Old 11-21-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BenzC400
Has anyone actually received the over-the-air update to transition to T-Mobile?
No and I don't care anymore. I bought myself a wireless hotspot and this way I can put it in my truck or GLE depending on which I use. I just got tired of waiting and all the lame excuses they send me when I inquire.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:46 PM

E53
No and I don't care anymore. I bought myself a wireless hotspot and this way I can put it in my truck or GLE depending on which I use. I just got tired of waiting and all the lame excuses they send me when I inquire.
I never really used the AT&T WiFi in the car. It was too slow. I will try the T-Mobile (if MB actually delivers the promised update) to see if the speeds are significantly better.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
Nope, lost ATT subscription 3 months ago and I have multiple tickets open with MB CS now. They can't seem to be able to figure it out, "an OTA update is coming" is all I get. It's a joke.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I just canceled my T mobile. When it worked it was good but getting it to work was a joke.
Good luck.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 PM

E53
I got this message from Mercedes me connect support. They seemed to be very aware of the issue. Hopefully, I'll get the update soon.

Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect regarding your account.

I hope this email finds you well!

I'm sorry about the inconvenience you have been experiencing regarding your Internet in the Car service. Mercedes has recently switched providers to T-Mobile. An OTA Update has to be performed in order for your vehicle to be switched over so that you may set up a plan through them.

I have placed you on the OTA List; you won't have to do anything for it to complete. We don't have a set timeline on how long the process takes to complete, and so I am going to keep your case open until we can confirm that the switch has occurred.

If you require any further assistance in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for your time and have a great rest of your night!
Old 12-10-2021, 07:40 AM

NCC-1701
Yah this is what they have been telling me since August. This must be a very long OTA list that one person is manually doing with a speed of about 1 VIN per day
Old 12-10-2021, 08:18 AM

E53
It seems as if it would be easy for MB to post a manual update in the Mercedes me connect portal that could be downloaded and manually installed through USB, much like map updates.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:48 PM

NCC-1701
The have no idea what they are doing when it comes to this. I've spoken to over 10 people by now. Got multiple tickets open.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:12 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I've been checking the Mercedes Me Connect Website (from a PC, not the car) periodically and it always took me to ATT, where ATT gave me a message that they don't provide service for my vehicle anymore. Today, I checked and it took me to HotSpot Drive (Tmobile) site and allowed me to sign up for a package. I did to try it out and the car seems to have connectivity now. I never got notice that the vehicle received any in car updates or anything, but something must have been done at some point because it seems to have worked.

For the US, the packages were $15 per month for limited data, $25 per month for unlimited, and $240 per year for unlimited. Claimed speeds were 50 Mbps down and 10 up.

Last edited by z28lt1; 01-06-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:37 PM

E53
Sounds like they’re making progress. Mine still sends me to AT&T. I’ll keep trying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switch from AT&T to T-Mobile?