GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Switch from AT&T to T-Mobile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 12:01 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Sniff Sniff, is that a class action lawsuit I smell?
Old 05-29-2022, 11:12 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
E53
Something has changed. I was never switched to T-Mobile. Every time I tried to connect I was sent to AT&T who said they no longer provide the in car WiFi for my car. This week I tried again. This time I was able to sign up for AT&T and the in-car WiFi now works. Download speeds are 20-30 Mbs. Uploads are very slow, under 5 Mbs. My guess is MB gave up trying to covert some cars to T-Mobile and now allows connections to AT&T again.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS550
Seems like Mercedes rolled back to ATT, however not sure if this is rolled out everywhere. I had submitted a case on their support website and got the email below. The url they provided below doesn’t work ! I did see an OTA update 5/13/22 as well.

Finally got it activated on the free 1 GB plan, haven’t tested it in the car but the Mercedes Me app clicked on Top Up Data and this time it took me to a working ATT site that allowed me to sign up.

“Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect regarding mirgration/Interner inside the vehicle. We do apologize for the inconvience that this may have caused we are aware of the issue . We do have solution we have established a connection back with AT&T provider for more infomation please go to this site.att.com/mercedes

If any support is needed please give us a call at 18003676372 and wait for option 4 for connected car services. Than press 2 for Mercedes me connect support and any of our 24 hour 7 days a week staff will be more than happy to assist you.”

Old 05-29-2022, 01:57 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Yes. I could finally reconnect to AT&T and resubscribe. Now trying to use Internet Radio I get a "no data package" message. Mercedes has escalated to level 2 support. I have no confidence at all it will be fixed. I'll give it a week or so before cancelling the data package since I am once again paying for it but cannot ttotally use it without the internet radio. Totally fed up.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:08 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
E53
I only paid for one month to see if AT&T coverage and speed was good enough. Yesterday I was pretty happy with the download speed. Today is a different story. Much slower.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:53 AM

2023 EQB300
Latest update. After hearing nothing from the escalated Mercedes.me support request, took car to dealer. Waited 6 hours while they reset the system, reinstalled all firmware (at least they updated the map) and lost all my presets. Still "No Data package available." They put me on the phone with mercedes.me support who said as far as they can determine, while the car shows internet and while the hotspot and browser work, Mercedes itself does not show internet as active in the car. And without internet being active, the internet radio cannot connect to AT&T and utilize the data package. Then while I was half-way home, representative told me dealer should have told me to leave the car, given me a loaner and give time for yet another escalation to figure it out. At this point, I told the rep it wasn't worth it and I simply wanted compensation for an advertised feature that did work until Mercedes made a change and now does not work. That in turn put me in touch with a customer service representative (who knew so little that she couldn't even help me restore the frozen navigation map after the reset) who said I would need to speak to an "executive assistant." At this point, I just want to cancel the data package and not even bother but I want compensation from Mercedes.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:52 AM

2023 EQB300
The saga continues.

Mercedes.me Connect has no idea why the WiFi Hotspot shows activated in the car, the browser and hotspot connection works yet it does not show activated on Mercedes' end. The Internet Radio will not work if Mercedes does not show hotspot activated, while the other hotspot functions will work without that flag on their end.

After asking for compensation from Mercedes, I was referred to a "customer care" rep or some such title. After the phone call with him, just petty annoyance about a minor and really unnecessary feature really has grown to anger with Mercedes.

He says that as a prepresentative of MBUSA, he could work with customer related concerns and take under advisement whether to refund me AT&T charges for the period when the service could not be used. I told him I appreciated that but what I also wanted was for MB to facilitate even simple contact with Mercedes Me level 2 support to figure out a plan forward since there is no plan.

His response was beyond belief. He can only speak for Mercedes Corporate. Anything with any car functionality can only be handled by the dealer. Well, I was at the dealer and they said the ball is in Mercedes' court. Yes, he agreed. But he can't intervene with third party services. Third party services? Yes, Mercedes Me is operated by a third party on behalf of Mercedes and as such Mercedes Corporate cannot be involved in any issues regarding Connect.

I cannot imagine that BMW or Audi would be any better so just have to keep this in mind with future vehicles and internet services.

But not to be able to offer any assistance other than "I can give you a list of Mercedes authorized dealers" is pretty shabby. I got better help from Kia corporate when a dealer committed an error in servicing her Kia Niro PHEV which created damage to the ICE engine. None of this "take it to your Kia authorized dealer." The customer service rep handled it.

Bottom line-- I'm dropping the AT&T subscription. I am streaming TuneIn Radio from iPhone via Bluetooth. And pass on the lesson of poor MB customer service.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@nsoltz are you sure that the Rep didn't mean "T-Mobile" (TMUS stock symbol) when he said "he can't intervene with third party services?"

My experience with TMUS is that their business model is largely dependent on glomming onto their new accounts and "somehow" not "finding" a way to return the account to the previous carrier.
It took over 45 days to unwind a switch to TMUS (zero bars and NO reception within a mile of our home!), after which, of course, I no longer qualified for the incentives they "promised," and I lost my Verizon bundle.

Very convenient and lucrative for TMUS, and if I had time I'd involve the FCC. Not wanting to do that, I join you in being angered at TMUS.

I was aghast that Mercedes got on the TMUS bandwagon, expecting a fiasco. QED.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:58 PM

2023 EQB300
No. We're talking about AT&T service. My car was one of those which they could not transition to T-Mobile, so they reopened portal to AT&T. The issue is with Mercedes Me Connect not recognizing that there is a data package. The customer service person said that Mercedes Me Connect is considered a third party and therefore Mercedes customer service cannot intervene even so much as just trying Mercedes Me Connect to return an email.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I wish Mercedes Me Connect would find a home somewhere and get developed.
It's hard to figure out who's in charge and who's accountable.
They have morphed too many things into the website, and it seems like I never use the right password.
A couple times a year it seems to get a burst of energy. You call and get a knowledgeable person who fixes a problem. Call back and they can find your case! Seems to last for a month or so, then back.
I'm glad I don't use that wireless service.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
jtjbt20x (06-11-2022)