Consumer Reports - 2022 GLE Named Least Reliable Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 980 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by HotRodW
It'll be interesting to see how the new S-Class and EQS perform in CR's surveys. My guess: not well at all.
Wouldn't surprise me, every modern generation of S-Class since the W220 has ended up on CR's list of most unreliable cars one year or another, or multiple in the case of the W220. Its very typical considering the S typically receives most of the new technology at hand.

Last edited by js_cls; 11-29-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2021 GLE350
Originally Posted by js_cls
Wouldn't surprise me, every modern generation of S-Class since the W220 has ended up on CR's list of most unreliable cars one year or another, or multiple in the case of the W220.
CR seems pretty accurate then.
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 696 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mikapen
The biggest concern from CR is the difficulty to access menu items.
If you can find a radio station and the gearshift lever, you have beaten CR's most salient "reliability" issues.
Take your trip to Florida. Worst case according to CR - you'll have to go without listening to local stations.

I disagree about Japanese cars. IMO they market around their shortcomings VERY well. "Honda - We Make it Simple" countered the disaster of complexity and engine failures: the early CVCC. We as American Consumers take the bait.
Some still believe that they invented the assembly line, when in fact it was Samuel Colt.
Marketing.
Right on…and the simplicity/low update mentioned earlier. My Tundra truck (facelifts in 14 years-new engine for 2022) wife’s Lexus RX 350 and my daughters last two Honda CRV’s had numerous issues as a first Gen. Honda has never done anything about the gas in engine oil except to prematurely change the oil early once for free. It’s just a % thing with first to last ratings not always very far apart. Toyota/Honda seem to benefit from being late to introduce new Tech, Simpler Tech, muddling engine/drive train’s and seldom update anything except a minor facelift during the life of a redesign that might be 4-5 yers longer than the 6-7 year normal interval. Buyers have been brainwashed to some degree that they are bulletproof, IMO.
I look at all the little things in my Mercedes that you won’t find in a Japanese car not to mention the sophisticated engine/drive train/suspension that are available. Mercedes has been working with Nvidia on a SoC that has the potential to resolve some of the current software design and conflicts. There are too many individual chips being integrated and if one starts acting up it can affect other systems. I had that when my MBUX controller went bad in my 2020 450…lots of random issues that were fixed with a replacement controller. For the last five years I have balanced reliability vs features and higher probability of issues and can’t find another vehicle that suits my taste better. It’s a pain to deal with any issue but at least my Dealer takes care of me.👍
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
KrustyKustom (11-29-2021), PWaterdog (12-05-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:45 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
GLE
The CR reports are curious to me when I look at e.g. German TUV reports, which take into account faults found during mandatory inspections every year. There, the GLC has top spot of all cars and the GLE is not far behind.
Granted, it's a different methodology but worst vs one of the best is quite a gap.

The following is a summary of the report (the full one is behind a paywall) and in German, so you can run it through Google translate.
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/tuev...-20966575.html
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Haven't been here in awhile. Was surprised to see this thread. For the record I owned a 2020 and had a few issues with it, nothing major. I currently have a 2021 and I haven't had any issues except the whistling mirror. I'm thinking about ordering a 2022.I've owned MB since 1998.

1. C Class Sedan.
2. E Class Sedan
3. S Class Sedan
4. 2003 Launch Edition SL500 (had a few quirks)
5. ML300
6. A couple GLK's
7. Several GLC's
8. GLB AMG
9. Couple GLE450's

I have been very happy with my vehicles over the years and don't even think about looking elsewhere.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Mikapen, your comments are always well thought out and accurate. After discussing the upcoming trip to Florida with my wife, ,we both quickly decided to take the GLE. BTW , my wife who is so not a car person , really loves the GLE ,especially the interior. We both realize that the GLE must be a much safer vehicle than our CRV, it is definitely a more comfortable and quieter ride, even with the whistling mirror noise, and most importantly I didn’t buy it to have it sit in my garage. I have had no major issues with it in the now 9 months of ownership.
As far as the CR poor reliability rating, I kind of believe that there may be a bias toward Japanese manufacturer’s, thinking that they are expected to be the most reliable. This then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
BenjaminKohl (12-06-2021)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Accurate and intelligent take!