GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GPS update timing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE580, Cardinal Red
GPS update timing?

Bought a GLE last June. Was wondering if there was a 'standard' GPS update timing. When I had a Garmin, I got regular quarterly updates, but have never seen anything quite as useful as that with a vehicle GPS system. Wondering if the 'Mercedes Best' was as good as a Garmin. I expect not, but thought it was worth asking....
Old 12-08-2021, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,198 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by tomb73
Bought a GLE last June. Was wondering if there was a 'standard' GPS update timing. When I had a Garmin, I got regular quarterly updates, but have never seen anything quite as useful as that with a vehicle GPS system. Wondering if the 'Mercedes Best' was as good as a Garmin. I expect not, but thought it was worth asking....
Mercedes automatically downloads map updates for your region, which normally is about six or seven States.
Then you can go to Mercedes me, and see if there are updates for other regions. If there are then you have to download them to a thumb drive and load them into the car. It takes about a half hour download and a half hour upload to do the US and Canada.
Free until your subscription expires, which I think is 3 years from new, or it right be four.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
The last update I received was in April 2021. I check regularly and it says I am up to date. I am in Lakewood Ranch, FL right now and it needs a LOT of updating around here!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2021, 08:29 AM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Originally Posted by mikapen
Mercedes automatically downloads map updates for your region, which normally is about six or seven States.
Then you can go to Mercedes me, and see if there are updates for other regions. If there are then you have to download them to a thumb drive and load them into the car. It takes about a half hour download and a half hour upload to do the US and Canada.
Free until your subscription expires, which I think is 3 years from new, or it right be four.
Understood. We take regular road trips that go outside our 'region' so need the other regions. Just wondering if Mercedes is doing regular updates or not.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:57 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
I'm not sure how up to date these map updates are. In MA they changed exit numbers on a few major highways recently and when I received the car the navigation was still using the old exit numbers. Got an OTA map update last week thinking it would update the exit numbers...still the same old exit numbers as before. For someone who lives here and drives these highways all the time its not that big of a deal but anyone passing through and needing to get off an exit will get confused very quick.
The following users liked this post:
tommyr (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Map updates come out about twice a year, sometimes there's a third. I got three updates in 2020. There's usually an update around April/May and another one around December, so roughly about 1 every 6 months. If the pandemic hasn't delayed it, then we should see an update shortly. Getting an update doesn't necessarily mean that the underlying data for your region has been updated. There are obviously delays for changes to make it into the map, and I'm guessing not every region is updated at the same frequency. Here in NorCal changes so far have shown up quite quickly. There was a highway construction near my house that finished shortly before I got my car, and at first the maps didn't have the new road layout, but then I got map updates and the new layout was part of it. Similarly they added express lanes to several highways around here and not too long after they were in the maps and the navigation started to give me lane guidance to enter and exit the express lanes at the appropriate spots. Google Maps doesn't even do that.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-08-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:40 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Having been a Garmin customer for a very long time, I've always been annoyed at the delay in map updates by vehicle manufacturers. Garmin was (probably still is) the best at updating their maps to the most current info, though google and apple may be close. When I was drilling down into the timing of map updates, it became apparent that the mapping folks (the actual source of GPS data) were not real-time, but took many months (or longer) to make updates to their data. That data was then eventually input to the GPS folks (like Garmin or Tom-Tom) who updated their data/maps on a fairly regular basis, usually quarterly. Vehicle GPS systems, though, seemed to be a lower priority from the auto companies, and rarely kept up with the actual GPS companies (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc). The in vehicle GPS was almost always considerably behind the 'real' GPS vendors, which I guess makes sense as the in vehicle GPS systems are not a priority for those companies. Audi was always a couple of years behind in their maps (makes sense, the mapping folks take some time, then the map data folks take some time, then the vehicle GPS folks have to make the changes, so it is up to years to update the car maps). I think that the current systems are no better, and will always be at least 18 months behind the real world, so do not expect the MB gps maps to be even close to being current. In the 'new' world, google maps or apple maps are likely much more current than the in car maps, which are not a priority for the company.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Having been a Garmin customer for a very long time, I've always been annoyed at the delay in map updates by vehicle manufacturers. Garmin was (probably still is) the best at updating their maps to the most current info, though google and apple may be close. When I was drilling down into the timing of map updates, it became apparent that the mapping folks (the actual source of GPS data) were not real-time, but took many months (or longer) to make updates to their data. That data was then eventually input to the GPS folks (like Garmin or Tom-Tom) who updated their data/maps on a fairly regular basis, usually quarterly. Vehicle GPS systems, though, seemed to be a lower priority from the auto companies, and rarely kept up with the actual GPS companies (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc). The in vehicle GPS was almost always considerably behind the 'real' GPS vendors, which I guess makes sense as the in vehicle GPS systems are not a priority for those companies. Audi was always a couple of years behind in their maps (makes sense, the mapping folks take some time, then the map data folks take some time, then the vehicle GPS folks have to make the changes, so it is up to years to update the car maps). I think that the current systems are no better, and will always be at least 18 months behind the real world, so do not expect the MB gps maps to be even close to being current. In the 'new' world, google maps or apple maps are likely much more current than the in car maps, which are not a priority for the company.
That's where you might find your information to be quite obsolete. There are really only two map providers that supply the portable GPS and car GPS systems. TomTom and HERE. The latter is the former Navteq company that was acquired by Nokia and then sold to BMW, Daimler and Audi who still owns it. HERE supplies the maps to Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and....wait for it....Garmin. Yes, you read that right. Garmin uses the exact same maps as Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and HERE's maps are actually quite good nowadays and updated well. What you are saying was once true, but no longer is. HERE's actually at the forefront of producing detailed maps for autonomous driving today, and they have one of the best offline map platform. Their iOS and Android app is also quite good and can navigate fully w/o an Internet connection. Entire countries can easily be downloaded to the phone. That's not something Google Maps can do. Google Maps is good, but it requires a constant data connection or it's dead in the water. Its offline support is very limited and cumbersome. For example Teslas which use Google Maps lose the map and the ability to re-route when there is no cell connection. Same for GM on the phone. It will continue to guide you on the previously established route, but can't re-route if you make a wrong turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmin#Maps

Last edited by superswiss; 12-10-2021 at 12:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's where you might find your information to be quite obsolete. There are really only two map providers that supply the portable GPS and car GPS systems. TomTom and HERE. The latter is the former Navteq company that was acquired by Nokia and then sold to BMW, Daimler and Audi who still owns it. HERE supplies the maps to Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and....wait for it....Garmin. Yes, you read that right. Garmin uses the exact same maps as Audi, BMW and Mercedes, and HERE's maps are actually quite good nowadays and updated well. What you are saying was once true, but no longer is. HERE's actually at the forefront of producing detailed maps for autonomous driving today, and they have one of the best offline map platform. Their iOS and Android app is also quite good and can navigate fully w/o an Internet connection. Entire countries can easily be downloaded to the phone. That's not something Google Maps can do. Google Maps is good, but it requires a constant data connection or it's dead in the water. Its offline support is very limited and cumbersome. For example Teslas which use Google Maps lose the map and the ability to re-route when there is no cell connection. Same for GM on the phone. It will continue to guide you on the previously established route, but can't re-route if you make a wrong turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmin#Maps
My wife's 2022 Lexus RX 450h has Dynamic Navigation which, among other things, provides cloud based real time updates to the vehicle map database. I was told that the updates are based on the vehicle's location and route if selected.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
My wife's 2022 Lexus RX 450h has Dynamic Navigation which, among other things, provides cloud based real time updates to the vehicle map database. I was told that the updates are based on the vehicle's location and route if selected.
Yes, that's basically OTA map updates, but sounds like Lexus is doing it on the fly based on where you are driving, whereas Mercedes and others push out OTA updates for the home region automatically, and the other regions have to be manually downloaded. But Mercedes uses large regions, so for example for me the entire Western USA gets automatically updated. In the past the biggest issue with car navigation systems and even portable GPS devices was that the map database was distributed on physical storage medium. They had to be produced first, so by the time they were available for purchase, the data was essentially already outdated. Was the same with software in general. Being able to update this stuff online now makes the data and software much more up to date. Pretty much all modern cars these days come with the ability to update the maps over the air.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,198 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Yes, that's basically OTA map updates, but sounds like Lexus is doing it on the fly based on where you are driving, whereas Mercedes and others push out OTA updates for the home region automatically, and the other regions have to be manually downloaded. But Mercedes uses large regions, so for example for me the entire Western USA gets automatically updated. In the past the biggest issue with car navigation systems and even portable GPS devices was that the map database was distributed on physical storage medium. They had to be produced first, so by the time they were available for purchase, the data was essentially already outdated. Was the same with software in general. Being able to update this stuff online now makes the data and software much more up to date. Pretty much all modern cars these days come with the ability to update the maps over the air.
I'm not sure if I Beat the System last year, but I decided to give it a try: Our 2020 GLE450 had only the Western Region maps installed. I set destinations in Maine, Miami, San Diego, Seattle and maybe New Orleans, and let the routing take place. Then when I checked which maps were installed, and everything except Canada was there.
Then, last November, I did another update via Mercedes Me and a thumb drive - all regions. Some were new, but most were the same version. Really BIG files, probably included the 3D buildings etc.

I'm not sure what happened, but my vacation proceeded with new maps and much greater detail in my Western Region.
This may have been a one-off - I haven't looked at my map dates recently.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:32 PM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
Thanks for that superswiss.... Still have my Garmin, but have not used it, or updated it, for quite a while as I have found the online maps (Google or Apple) to be acceptable substitutes. Still trying to decide if the online options are better than the MB nav, but will enjoy comparing them. At this point the main benefit to using Apple is the speed limit display which the MB navigation (at least on my GLE) does not have.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thanks for that superswiss.... Still have my Garmin, but have not used it, or updated it, for quite a while as I have found the online maps (Google or Apple) to be acceptable substitutes. Still trying to decide if the online options are better than the MB nav, but will enjoy comparing them. At this point the main benefit to using Apple is the speed limit display which the MB navigation (at least on my GLE) does not have.
For the speed limits you need to have the Driver Assistance Package, and then it shows the actual speed limits and other traffic signs by recognizing them with the camera. The phone apps only show speed limits from the map data, which may or may not be correct in actuality. My car is fully loaded so I have all this functionality and the MB navigation IMO is superior. It gives much better lane guidance for example and allows me to have different navigation information on multiple screens. For example I usually have a zoomed out map in the center to see the entire route and overall traffic, and then in the instrument cluster I have a smaller zoomed in map for the detailed maneuvers on one side and turn-by-turn instructions on the other side. The one thing I don't have is the HUD, but with it, it would also display navigation information there. You just don't get that level of integration with Google or Apple. With Google Maps for example I feel I have tunnel vision, because it insists on its own zoom level and often you can't even see the entire route, and because it has to cram everything on one screen the details are just not there and the lane guidance is not as good. With GM I often take wrong turns in unfamiliar areas at complex intersections. I don't know what it is, but I feel I'm not getting all the details from GM that I'm used to from the MB navigation, plus I constantly have to look over to the center screen. I believe with MBUX you get turn-by-turn instruction in the instrument cluster now when running CarPlay or AA, but I don't get that on NTG 5.5 in my car, plus it's still not as detailed as the information you get in the instrument cluster with the MB navigation.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-11-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Speaking of the devil, December map update was just released.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by mikapen
You can go to me.mercedes-Benz.com. Connect or something to that effect. You can change the region for auto download. I received my car in Chicago and downloaded the Central states. When I got to Florida, I changed the region to southern. Both downloaded automatically. You can use USB, But you only have to do that if you need to download multiple regions or the whole country.

An example.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:45 AM

GLE580, Cardinal Red
For the speed limits you need to have the Driver Assistance Package, and then it shows the actual speed limits and other traffic signs by recognizing them with the camera. The phone apps only show speed limits from the map data, which may or may not be correct in actuality. My car is fully loaded so I have all this functionality and the MB navigation IMO is superior. It gives much better lane guidance for example and allows me to have different navigation information on multiple screens. For example I usually have a zoomed out map in the center to see the entire route and overall traffic, and then in the instrument cluster I have a smaller zoomed in map for the detailed maneuvers on one side and turn-by-turn instructions on the other side. The one thing I don't have is the HUD, but with it, it would also display navigation information there. You just don't get that level of integration with Google or Apple. With Google Maps for example I feel I have tunnel vision, because it insists on its own zoom level and often you can't even see the entire route, and because it has to cram everything on one screen the details are just not there and the lane guidance is not as good. With GM I often take wrong turns in unfamiliar areas at complex intersections. I don't know what it is, but I feel I'm not getting all the details from GM that I'm used to from the MB navigation, plus I constantly have to look over to the center screen. I believe with MBUX you get turn-by-turn instruction in the instrument cluster now when running CarPlay or AA, but I don't get that on NTG 5.5 in my car, plus it's still not as detailed as the information you get in the instrument cluster with the MB navigation.
Did not get the package, and I expect it is not possible to add it after the fact.... Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450W4
Hi Superswiss --

My Map data & Voice Recognition data are Version 340 for all regions. me Mercedes shows me "Up to date".
What version are your maps ... currently and the update you were advised about?
Old 12-12-2021, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Hurricane1938
Hi Superswiss --

My Map data & Voice Recognition data are Version 340 for all regions. me Mercedes shows me "Up to date".
What version are your maps ... currently and the update you were advised about?
I'm on 390 and the new one is 400, but that's some kind of an internal version number and I don't think they are the same for COMAND and MBUX. I have COMAND. The official version I'm on is V21.0, and the new one should be V22.0. That's the version number that shows in the car and on the OTA update page. They haven't pushed out the OTA update, and I haven't manually installed the update yet, but I have it ready to go on my SD card. The MBUX map update is on a slightly different schedule and should be available shortly.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450W4
I'm on 390 and the new one is 400, but that's some kind of an internal version number and I don't think they are the same for COMAND and MBUX. I have COMAND. The official version I'm on is V21.0, and the new one should be V22.0. That's the version number that shows in the car and on the OTA update page. They haven't pushed out the OTA update, and I haven't manually installed the update yet, but I have it ready to go on my SD card. The MBUX map update is on a slightly different schedule and should be available shortly.
Thanks Superswiss.