GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

ME Connect App - remote start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2022 GLE 350
ME Connect App - remote start

My brand new GLE 350 remote start doesn't work always. Even when i park the car in open parking lot it doesn't start (AT&T and T Mobile signals are great in those area) . Tried calling ME Connect support team and they have not fixed it. They are just creating tickets and not responding or sharing updates. Not sure what to do next.. Did anyone have the same issue?
Old 12-11-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by schkar
My brand new GLE 350 remote start doesn't work always. Even when i park the car in open parking lot it doesn't start (AT&T and T Mobile signals are great in those area) . Tried calling ME Connect support team and they have not fixed it. They are just creating tickets and not responding or sharing updates. Not sure what to do next.. Did anyone have the same issue?
The Mercedes Me Connect app is garbage. It does not work as advertised. Like many other members on this forum, I too have issues with the app. The remote start and lock/unlock functionality works when it wants to work. And some design choices I hate. For example you when you remote start your car (if you can even get it to work) it shuts off when you open the door. I've heard this is by design for security but I mean come on, they could have easily made it so the car shuts after opening the door only if the key is not within proximity. The other thing that annoys me is you can't control the climate even after starting the engine. App sucks, but the car is amazing.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vdhroso:
cupecoy (12-12-2021), Flex360 (01-02-2022), Jdc1023 (12-13-2021), Yavuz Keskin (12-14-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 10:09 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I had this problem too and worked with the Mercedes Me Connect Customer Support via email at me-connect.usa@cac.mercedes-benz.com; Zackary C. was the agent I worked with. After remote troubleshooting by the engineers in Germany, they developed a solution. My local dealer performed the fix a few weeks ago, and since then, I've had 100% reliability with remote start/stop/lock/unlock. The engineers provided these instructions for the shop: "Dear Colleagues,
Still RES and RDLUL commands are getting timed out, Please send customer to workshop , and ask them to perform initial Hermes certificate reset and then do TCU change and after that all remote commands to be checked if activation messages are getting delivered to the vehicle and remote commands activating or not."

The repair order documentation states: "C/S REMOTE START AND LOCK/UNLOCK FUNCTIONS OF MERCEDES ME CONNECT ARE NOT WORKING CORRECTLY, CHECK AND ADVISE. HERMES MODULE SOFTWARE STATUS PERFORMED OUICK TEST. NO RELATED FAULT CODES FOUND. PERFORMED AVAILABLE GUIDED TESTING AND INSPECTION. CHECKED AND FOUND UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR HERMES MODULE. PERFORMED SOFTWARE UPDATE. PERFORMED INITIAL HERMES CERTIFICATION RESET, CHECKED VEDOC MATCHED HERMES, FOUND OK. PERFORMED HCU CHANGE. PERFORMED TEST ALL, FOUND OK. CONTACTED CUSTOMER TO ATTEMPT REMOTE STATE, FOUND VEHICLE STARTED AS DESIGNED. ALLOWED VEHICLE REMOTE STATE TO TIME OUT. VEHICLE OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME."

Since the fix, I've tested the remote features dozens of times, and they have all worked...which is good because my wife's Toyota parked next to me works 100% of the time.

Last edited by jtjbt20x; 12-12-2021 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtjbt20x:
JLULU (09-19-2022), KWes (12-25-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE 350 4Matic
I had a similar issue when I picked up my GLE and the dealer fixed it. Now the APP works great without issue.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
I've not had too many problems with the app on an iPhone unless cell coverage is poor. When I first got the car there was an app for the Apple watch but it's been removed, I miss that. I think it's ridiculous that MB chose to not include a remote start button on the key fob.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:35 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
It works mostly ok here but overall MB is falling behind severely in the software race as new generation providers (such as Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian) are years ahead now with continuous software updates.
So far in 2+ years of ownership I had 1 OTA update that fixed nothing as far as I can tell, and added exactly zero new features. "It's not an iPhone" told me the jolly dinosaur service manager at the dealership.
The Model Y we have has meanwhile received multiple updates in the past year adding an array of new features (remote camera viewing, car wash mode, automations, more data stats, new controls etc.).
The following 2 users liked this post by cupecoy:
Flex360 (01-02-2022), Yavuz Keskin (12-14-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLA 250 2021, GLE 350 2021
I have the GLE 350 for 4 months now, remote start did fail to respond couple of times. But it did work when I retried couple of times. Over all, l have no issues with remote start here in Toronto.
Generally speaking, I would have liked if it was possible to manage other features like temperature and windows control.

Two months after the GLE350, I got CLA 250 as the second car, on which Mercedes ME App wasn’t activated by the dealer. It will be activated later in 2022 I was told due to a module shortage. Was given a 300 dollars refund for this inconvenience.
The following users liked this post:
cupecoy (12-27-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 11:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
I contacted support to help fix my issues. I actually did uninstall and install the app again like they suggested and it actually did work. I'm somewhat surprised that a simple thing like that would have worked. To be fair, I did say in the email that there would be no point in me to pay for the service after the free trial ends since the app barely works and somehow after that statement the app starting magically working all the time now. It actually is a great app when it works as intended. Although like many other I do wish it had some extra functionality like being able to control the climate control.
Flex360 (01-02-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:13 PM

2022 GLE 350
Uninstalling the app did not fix the issue. They asked me to reset the communication module in the car, it never worked. TSU was done from remote this also did not work. Finally after multiple escalations Me Connect asked the dealer to reinstall the software. It took about 3 hrs, and then another day to get the services activated. Post that it started working fine. Remote start now works most of the time (except 1 or 2 times it just hangs).
Old 12-30-2021, 03:29 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Uninstalling the app did not fix the issue. They asked me to reset the communication module in the car, it never worked. TSU was done from remote this also did not work. Finally after multiple escalations Me Connect asked the dealer to reinstall the software. It took about 3 hrs, and then another day to get the services activated. Post that it started working fine. Remote start now works most of the time (except 1 or 2 times it just hangs).
How did you reset the communications module yourself?
Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 PM

2022 GLE 350
Mercedes Me asked to perform the below steps

- Turn Ignition to On and open the SOS-Button
- Press and hold the SOS and the Breakdown Button (while Ignition is on) until the SOS button starts blinking. If a Call gets started cancel it and retry it. The buttons must be pressed simultaneously.
- Release the Buttons after blinking has started. Your vehicle will perform an "Over the air registration" (OTAR).
- Restart the ignition/vehicle
Old 12-31-2021, 11:16 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Mercedes Me asked to perform the below steps

- Turn Ignition to On and open the SOS-Button
- Press and hold the SOS and the Breakdown Button (while Ignition is on) until the SOS button starts blinking. If a Call gets started cancel it and retry it. The buttons must be pressed simultaneously.
- Release the Buttons after blinking has started. Your vehicle will perform an "Over the air registration" (OTAR).
- Restart the ignition/vehicle
Thanks, I wonder what other resets are available. Sometimes I want to reset some DAP things to see what happens.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE350
Recently (just before xmas) got our '22 GLE 350. I haven't experienced any problems with the remote app and have done several starts, door locks, etc. I did have a question regarding what you can do with remote starting. Is there any way to set up things like turning on the heated seats or steering wheel? I know *if* you have the air system in auto and preset to something comfey for the winter the auto will eventually warm up. Would like to see if there's more than can be done in this area. Secondly, is there any option to not having the engine turn off when you unlock (with a key fob or via touch) after remote engine start? I find that kind of backwards compared to other remote start systems.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by abxflyr
Recently (just before xmas) got our '22 GLE 350. I haven't experienced any problems with the remote app and have done several starts, door locks, etc. I did have a question regarding what you can do with remote starting. Is there any way to set up things like turning on the heated seats or steering wheel? I know *if* you have the air system in auto and preset to something comfey for the winter the auto will eventually warm up. Would like to see if there's more than can be done in this area. Secondly, is there any option to not having the engine turn off when you unlock (with a key fob or via touch) after remote engine start? I find that kind of backwards compared to other remote start systems.
Regarding the Auto climate setting, it's thermostatically controlled, so it will go on "high" until it achieves the set temps. Setting the temp higher won't get there any faster, but it does slow down as it approaches the set temp. No difference, really. Just like setting your home thermostat.

Why is that 10 seconds of "engine off" while you get in and restart an issue? It's easier than putting a seatbelt on, which takes more time and energy.
Imanone (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE350
I appreciate your answers. We set the temp to something comfortable (i.e. 73/74f during the winter) and allow the auto to warm up and it works fine. I wish there were a way to have the other options (heated seat/wheel) start as well but I'm thinking that isn't part of the logic/option. The engine off isn't that big of a deal, just would like the auto to continue the warmup while getting in and adjusted rather than the stop/start.
mikapen (01-03-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:21 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mikapen
Why is that 10 seconds of "engine off" while you get in and restart an issue? It's easier than putting a seatbelt on, which takes more time and energy.
It's pretty annoying for me because I have 2 kids and 2 strollers and other baby items every time I want to go somewhere. So I start the car remotely from the house to heat it up and then start packing the trunk.
Meanwhile, between my multiple trips back and forth from the house, my wife gets in with one of the kids and complains that the heating stopped. So I always have to get in to the driver's seat while snowy, make sure I'm seated all the way so that I can start the engine with the brake pedal pressed and not just the accessories, and go back out to resume the never ending packing.

It's just an unnecessary extra step every time we want to leave. First world problems...
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​[edit] Even if I didn't have to do multiple packing trips, it gets really cold in Canada so the heating shutting off while we're strapping in the kids is just annoying. And I can't get in and manually restart the car first because I'm carrying a kid in the first place. So there's always at least a minute without hot air while it's -20 outside and the doors are open, unless I do an extra trip first empty handed just to start the car, go back in to get a kid, etc. Just pointless.

Last edited by maalox; 01-04-2022 at 01:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by maalox:
mikapen (01-04-2022), platinumrz (01-08-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by maalox
It's pretty annoying for me because I have 2 kids and 2 strollers and other baby items every time I want to go somewhere. So I start the car remotely from the house to heat it up and then start packing the trunk.
Meanwhile, between my multiple trips back and forth from the house, my wife gets in with one of the kids and complains that the heating stopped. So I always have to get in to the driver's seat while snowy, make sure I'm seated all the way so that I can start the engine with the brake pedal pressed and not just the accessories, and go back out to resume the never ending packing.

It's just an unnecessary extra step every time we want to leave. First world problems...
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​[edit] Even if I didn't have to do multiple packing trips, it gets really cold in Canada so the heating shutting off while we're strapping in the kids is just annoying. And I can't get in and manually restart the car first because I'm carrying a kid in the first place. So there's always at least a minute without hot air while it's -20 outside and the doors are open, unless I do an extra trip first empty handed just to start the car, go back in to get a kid, etc. Just pointless.
Good example. Now I see how it could be inconvenient in certain situations. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:40 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
It's also annoying because when it shuts down upon entry you have to restart it and wait for everything to boot up and reconnect. I would like to be able to open the door, click my belt in and roll.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 PM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by cupecoy
It's also annoying because when it shuts down upon entry you have to restart it and wait for everything to boot up and reconnect. I would like to be able to open the door, click my belt in and roll.
I would add an extra step (like BMW does), get in the car, step on the brake and press the start button to "authenticate" the key and start the rest of the components (dashboard, infotainment system, unlock steering wheel) to transfer over from remote start state to normal start state (while engine is still running), and go.
cupecoy (01-05-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
I'm so tired of my remote start not working,...of course most of the time when it's freezing cold outside. Uninstall, reinstall, clear cache, force stop, hover a rabbits foot over it, nothing. Mostly fails or hangs. Just got vehicle back doing software update for Burmester and tranny issues. Took a while to get the vehicle back and they don't have loaners due to shortages. Really dont want to go through that again just for them to update the remote start module. Small problem but darn inconvenient when simple feature on very expensive vehicle fails repeatedly. Thanks for hearing my rant. 😊
Old 01-15-2022, 06:03 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by phoenixone
I'm so tired of my remote start not working,...of course most of the time when it's freezing cold outside. Uninstall, reinstall, clear cache, force stop, hover a rabbits foot over it, nothing. Mostly fails or hangs. Just got vehicle back doing software update for Burmester and tranny issues. Took a while to get the vehicle back and they don't have loaners due to shortages. Really dont want to go through that again just for them to update the remote start module. Small problem but darn inconvenient when simple feature on very expensive vehicle fails repeatedly. Thanks for hearing my rant. 😊
Someone elsewhere on this forum said Mercedes gave him a procedure to run to reset the HERMES. Just search on HERMES and you'll find it.
phoenixone (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
Someone elsewhere on this forum said Mercedes gave him a procedure to run to reset the HERMES. Just search on HERMES and you'll find it.
Thanks. Ill do that and cross my fingers it solves it.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:56 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by phoenixone
Thanks. Ill do that and cross my fingers it solves it.
Start from here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8472163 and read down. I posted what worked for me at the dealer and then there's the part on resetting HERMES yourself.
phoenixone (01-16-2022)