GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Mercedes Me Connect - Subscription charges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 06:41 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
My long-term view is that everything will become a subscription. Institutional investors are buying up properties at insane levels, and it will eventually be impossible for private parties to compete, leading to more rentals and less private ownership. Most apps we use in our household are already on a subscription level only. Streaming is subscription. Kindle, VPN, Dropbox etc. too. More and more companies are pushing for lease-based contracts for items such as phones, cars, and bikes. The general shift is from owning to renting.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle 350
Thanks for the thread. Quick question then, will the whole navigation and route guidance stop working if I don't renew (

Navigation Services) ?

Free entitlements expire for my car in dec 2022; just got an email.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,598 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ug_gle350_2020
Thanks for the thread. Quick question then, will the whole navigation and route guidance stop working if I don't renew (

Navigation Services) ?

Free entitlements expire for my car in dec 2022; just got an email.
No it won't. You will still have basic navigation, but you won't be receiving map updates and live traffic anymore, so the maps will eventually be outdated and it won't reroute you around road closures and traffic incidents. Basically back to a dumb navigation we had in the 90s. You also won't be able to search for POIs online or send navigation destinations to the car from your phone. You'll have to painfully enter the destinations directly in the car. Actually never mind. Live traffic and map updates are separate subscriptions, so by not renewing Navigation Services you can no longer do the online POI searches and/or sending destinations from the phone to the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by superswiss:
mikapen (11-17-2022), Neurobit (11-18-2022), TonyF61 (11-17-2022), Ug_gle350_2020 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle 350
Thank you so much!!! Precisely what I wanted to know.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE 350, C300, GLC 300
The frustrating thing is that they only offer annual subscriptions and they are non-transferrable.

I had to extend my lease a couple of months to wait for my new build, but my subscription services all expire at the end of this month and there's no way to extend or even transfer it if I did break down and buy the annual. Only thing I really use a lot is the Live Traffic and can live without it until the new car, but truly wish they had a more flexible subscription model.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jbizios
The frustrating thing is that they only offer annual subscriptions and they are non-transferrable.

I had to extend my lease a couple of months to wait for my new build, but my subscription services all expire at the end of this month and there's no way to extend or even transfer it if I did break down and buy the annual. Only thing I really use a lot is the Live Traffic and can live without it until the new car, but truly wish they had a more flexible subscription model.
I believe they refund the remainder of the subscription if you sell/trade the car.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by jbizios

I have been using Android Auto for several months now. I prefer the nav and live traffic in Google Maps to that in the Nav. If I still have the GLE when my subscription expires, I doubt that I will renew it.
The following users liked this post:
CarLover73 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
I have been using Android Auto for several months now. I prefer the nav and live traffic in Google Maps to that in the Nav. If I still have the GLE when my subscription expires, I doubt that I will renew it.
Same here - Apple carplay and wife's Android Auto have much better navigation than the built-in thingie in my opinion. I won't factor maps/navigation as a reason to renew the subscription either.

BTW, I also notice that if you use the 'native' app for route, you can even see the point-by-point guidance in your driver's central display area when you select 'Navigation' using the driver screen control button on the steering. i.e., if I use Apple maps, I can see the next turn/distance right in my driver's screen; but not if I use Googlemaps on iphone.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,031 Likes on 699 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
An AA update is out in Beta mode for the newest version…a major revision called Coolwalk.

https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-...-auto-coolwalk
Old 12-07-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
An AA update is out in Beta mode for the newest version…a major revision called Coolwalk.

It is out, but I don't believe it is enabled for our car. I was part of the beta program and notice that coolwalk is not enabled (but turning on developer mode and enable "virtual" AA works). My understanding is that those car with touchpad and/or turning wheel based control (even when touch screen is available) still have the coolwalk disabled. I also have some navigation issue with touchpad since the new update.
But since this is a toggle on Google server end, they could enable it at any moment. They probably just want to wait until they find and fix it before enabling coolwalk for us.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:46 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
It is out, but I don't believe it is enabled for our car. I was part of the beta program and notice that coolwalk is not enabled (but turning on developer mode and enable "virtual" AA works). My understanding is that those car with touchpad and/or turning wheel based control (even when touch screen is available) still have the coolwalk disabled. I also have some navigation issue with touchpad since the new update.
But since this is a toggle on Google server end, they could enable it at any moment. They probably just want to wait until they find and fix it before enabling coolwalk for us.
I’m not on Android but that redesign looks really nice.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,188 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s

Last week I went to a location that involved Coolwalk. I parked in the parking lot, walked to the location, and went home.

I was met by a text from Google Maps, asking me to pinpoint the front door, on the map they provided with the text. I slid the map around under the arrow, hit enter, and they thanked me.
​​​I guess its a Thing already. I'm not on a Beta.

Edit- it may have been an email, not text.

Last edited by mikapen; 12-10-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE 350
It is BS you have to pay for remote start. Ridiculous actually. Many cars have had remote start for 10-15 years. The fact BENZ charges for it is a crime. Just BS
Portmanteau (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:09 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Lunarman
It is BS you have to pay for remote start. Ridiculous actually. Many cars have had remote start for 10-15 years. The fact BENZ charges for it is a crime. Just BS
That's the way of the future; subscription charges for everything.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Another point for comparison; Tesla used to offer free premium connectivity on new vehicles for one full year. Now it’s free for 30 days. The subscription costs $10 per month; or $99 for a full year. It offers in car entertainment features eg Netflix ; Hulu etc. via a built in cellular network; and real time traffic visualizations along with satellite view maps. Really a good value at $99/ year.
Neurobit (04-04-2023)
Old 12-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
The problem with Mercedes is they don't have remote start from the key fob. Most companies have charges for remote starting from a phone/app (although for some you can a long -- like 5 year trial). But they all have a free option to do it from your key fob as well. Mercedes is missing the free fob option -- no idea why.

I hate subscriptions, but I think its fair to have to pay for ones that cost the company money. Using an app to start your car requires the company to maintain servers to process the request as well as pay the phone companies for cellular data charges. While I'm sure that costs them very little, they do have some costs and paying for that use seems reasonable. Where this is going that you have to pay to use hardware already in the car is an entirely other thing in my mind.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
It's kinda like owning a cell phone and having to pay monthly to use it.
How about "commercial free" cable TV?

Subscriptions are growing everywhere. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.
Zeusmotorworks (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
I agree with you. If the car remote had a start function, I could see them making a case charging for the convenience of not having to be line of sight with the car, but since they cleverly left that button off the remote, they have you cornered.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:58 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by mm9351
Another point for comparison; Tesla used to offer free premium connectivity on new vehicles for one full year. Now it’s free for 30 days. The subscription costs $10 per month; or $99 for a full year. It offers in car entertainment features eg Netflix ; Hulu etc. via a built in cellular network; and real time traffic visualizations along with satellite view maps. Really a good value at $99/ year.
The cost will probably keep on going up. This is the way businesses work nowadays, especially smaller companies who are trying to aggressively gain market share.

Sell things at a loss to attract more customers, make up for the loss with VC funding, and then eventually flip the switch and start profiting off of higher subscription costs after you've trapped a decent customer base.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
The cost will probably keep on going up. This is the way businesses work nowadays, especially smaller companies who are trying to aggressively gain market share.

Sell things at a loss to attract more customers, make up for the loss with VC funding, and then eventually flip the switch and start profiting off of higher subscription costs after you've trapped a decent customer base.
Yep. The Gillette Razor business model. It was genius then and it's being monetized everywhere now.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:54 PM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Originally Posted by mikapen
Yep. The Gillette Razor business model. It was genius then and it's being monetized everywhere now.
Sounds a lot like getting married to me... LOL
Neurobit (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
As others have said I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay a subscription fee or per-use charge for a service that requires the provider to run an infrastructure with ongoing operating costs. Basically any type of online service falls into that. They don't run themselves. Servers have to be maintained and communication costs have to be paid on an ongoing basis. Your cell phone requires a monthly subscription and you have to pay monthly for your home Internet service, utilities etc. for the same reasons.

As for remote start itself, outside of North America it pretty much does not exist. It's flat out illegal in Europe, so no German brand is gonna waste engineering resources on a key fob based remote start just for Americans. Leave that up to the aftermarket if somebody really wants it. I'm frankly surprised they even offer the app based remote start. Audi for example doesn't offer any remote start, not even app based.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
mikapen (12-12-2022), PandaSPUR (12-12-2022), TonyF61 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:02 PM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by superswiss
As others have said I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay a subscription fee or per-use charge for a service that requires the provider to run an infrastructure with ongoing operating costs. Basically any type of online service falls into that. They don't run themselves. Servers have to be maintained and communication costs have to be paid on an ongoing basis. Your cell phone requires a monthly subscription and you have to pay monthly for your home Internet service, utilities etc. for the same reasons.

As for remote start itself, outside of North America it pretty much does not exist. It's flat out illegal in Europe, so no German brand is gonna waste engineering resources on a key fob based remote start just for Americans. Leave that up to the aftermarket if somebody really wants it. I'm frankly surprised they even offer the app based remote start. Audi for example doesn't offer any remote start, not even app based.
Yes, I was rather taken back when I was told my X5 didn't have remote start because it was illegal in Germany. Didn't realize it is all of Europe.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ

Well damn, i learned something new today. I didnt know it was illegal in Europe.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2022 GLE 350

Just learned today about the German law prohibiting remote start.

On a lighter note - german brands not wasting engineering resources on key based remote start
Mercedes had this function until 2019, BMW still got the key fob-based start in US. Mercedes dumped this option for their own reason.

Some reason all the German brands are too slow in embracing (and building) great software platform. They just catching up with Tesla. Long way to go!
Neurobit (04-04-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Me Connect - Subscription charges