Airmatic and headlights question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Airmatic and headlights question.

I'm coming from a ML with airmatic and I love how that thing drives in the highway. I tried a 2022 gle with just the springs and I find it fine but when I hit multiple road imperfections it kinda bounces around too much. It is not that bad but enough to make me grab the handle on the center console. I cant find a gle with airmatic to test out as there is really none available. You can only see one IF you order one. To those who had the airmatic is it a big deal like on the previous generation or it is an option you can live without. On the previous model when I put it on sport the truck is harsher than my c300 with sports suspension but it makes the truck more drivable on twisty roads. Would I expect the same on the new GLE with airmatic? The only benefit I can think off of not having the airmatic is not worrying to shell out around $7000 after 5-7 years of ownership as those tend to fail after the new car warranty. Non-airmatic owners do you notice your truck sagging on the rear when you load-up the vehicle 5-7 people or 5 people with full camping gear on the rear? My max load will be around 750lbs. On my previous ML the airmatic takes care of this issue but not sure how it will look on a fully loaded GLE. Last thing I want to see is my car looking like it has a broken suspension because of the load inside.

Also is there a visual difference like how it looks from the outside between a regular static led headlight and the multi beam? My previous vehicle had the auto high beam and never I saw it turning on itself in the 7 years of ownership so I wont mind not having it. The magic hands thing inside the vehicle is just a gimmick so I dont need it and the heads up display is nice but something I can live without. I rather get the airmatic option instead of the tech package but I need confirmation about the headlights.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 02-04-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon w/AMG, 2018 GLC300 Selinite SUV w/AMG Night(sold) 2021 GLE450 AMG Night
I always check the tire pressure before a test drive. It's my experience that the tires are always grossly over inflated causing a harsh ride.
I have Airmatic with 22s and like the ride, handling and vehicle appearance in sport mode. It's too floaty in comfort mode. It really needs a sport plus mode to stiffen the dampers for highly spirited driving, but it does handle very well for a vehicle of its size. The brakes could also have more bite...maybe I should've listened to my wife and bought a 53.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:28 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I have the lighting package on my GLE and the physical light does look different than the standard headlights. It is subtle but noticeable. I don’t have a copy of it, but check the GLE DOG (dealer order guide) and it should show the 2 different headlights. I think even though it is subtle, it completes the exterior look of the GLE.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Airmatic and lighting

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I'm coming from a ML with airmatic and I love how that thing drives in the highway. I tried a 2022 gle with just the springs and I find it fine but when I hit multiple road imperfections it kinda bounces around too much. It is not that bad but enough to make me grab the handle on the center console. I cant find a gle with airmatic to test out as there is really none available. You can only see one IF you order one. To those who had the airmatic is it a big deal like on the previous generation or it is an option you can live without. On the previous model when I put it on sport the truck is harsher than my c300 with sports suspension but it makes the truck more drivable on twisty roads. Would I expect the same on the new GLE with airmatic? The only benefit I can think off of not having the airmatic is not worrying to shell out around $7000 after 5-7 years of ownership as those tend to fail after the new car warranty. Non-airmatic owners do you notice your truck sagging on the rear when you load-up the vehicle 5-7 people or 5 people with full camping gear on the rear? My max load will be around 750lbs. On my previous ML the airmatic takes care of this issue but not sure how it will look on a fully loaded GLE. Last thing I want to see is my car looking like it has a broken suspension because of the load inside.

Also is there a visual difference like how it looks from the outside between a regular static led headlight and the multi beam? My previous vehicle had the auto high beam and never I saw it turning on itself in the 7 years of ownership so I wont mind not having it. The magic hands thing inside the vehicle is just a gimmick so I dont need it and the heads up display is nice but something I can live without. I rather get the airmatic option instead of the tech package but I need confirmation about the headlights.
I came from a '12 ML 350 with Airmatic (never had a problem with it in 7 years, but did with previous '05 ML). I have E-ABC on the current one, but I've driven the standard spring/shock suspension and Airmatic. I definitely think it is worth it. Get ELW if you are worried about future failure, which is what I did with this one for the first time.

The difference in the physical appearance of the headlights is subtle, but the Intelligent Light System has a much better high beam. There is also a (slim) chance that it may be retroactively upgradable to it's full potential as in Europe now that DOT has been given directive to make it happen within 2 years. My auto high beams work fine.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:17 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I came from a '12 ML 350 with Airmatic (never had a problem with it in 7 years, but did with previous '05 ML). I have E-ABC on the current one, but I've driven the standard spring/shock suspension and Airmatic. I definitely think it is worth it. Get ELW if you are worried about future failure, which is what I did with this one for the first time.

The difference in the physical appearance of the headlights is subtle, but the Intelligent Light System has a much better high beam. There is also a (slim) chance that it may be retroactively upgradable to it's full potential as in Europe now that DOT has been given directive to make it happen within 2 years. My auto high beams work fine.

There are several companies here that will do the upgrade so your lights are euro-spec.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon

Thanks Greg! Is the regular LED better than the pre-facelift GLE (ala ML) xenon's? I am very happy with the xenons. I careless if it does not move side-to-side. My ML does move side to side but my C300 is static and it is really not a deal breaker as both provides good light output. I saw a youtube video that has the standard led and the vehicle is standing still. The guy turned the steering wheel and the inner lamp (with reflector) lit like a cornering light. All US/Canadian non-AMG X166's cornering lights are missing so it is not a big deal anymore but seeing that video with the standard LED and it lit gave me hope to have the same function as my C300's fogs as the W204's cornering light is really great.

If budget is not a concern I would have it all but I need to be logical here. I already crossed out the airmatic on my list as I asked myself how many times I pushed the sport button in my ML before and I can only remember a few instances that I did it. I think I will be okay with the standard LED but that heads-up display that is bundled with the tech package is very tempting. If I go with a GLE 350 I would be able to get the tech package, optional 21" rims which I think is a must to complete the sport package BUT then I have to make sure I don't do the "why did I not get the bigger engine..." while driving the car up in the mountain with 750lbs of payload inside.

I test drove the 350 and the power is almost the same as my ML350 with 302hp/273 torque. I did drove it in the highway and passed big rigs and it is surprisingly punchy. The only thing that made me think it is not a V6 is the somewhat noise it produced. Also I did this with only me in the car so I am not sure how it will be like with all my stuff in real life adventure mode. You think fuel consumption will take a big hit on the 4cyl if the rig is fully loaded? If you will have a choice and the intend use of the vehicle is a family hauler with a total of 750lbs of payload and more of a highway/mountain cruiser which one will you get:

Option A:
2021 GLE450 (last batch) with
Premium Pack
Sport Pack (20" rims)
Third Row
Intelligent Drive Pack
Trailer hitch
Soft close doors
Alum running boards
No augment reality because of chip shortage

Option B:
2022 GLE350 with
Premium Pack + Plus
Tech Pack
Sport Pack (21" rims)
Third Row
Intelligent Drive Pack
Trailer hitch
Soft close doors
Alum running boards
With augment reality
No memory pack on front passenger (manual headrest adjust - because of chip shortage)

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 02-05-2022 at 10:29 PM.