GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Downsizing 22" wheels to 21" for softer ride.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE580
Downsizing 22" wheels to 21" for softer ride.

Hi all. My GLE580 came with the 22" wheel package. Not sure about the model of the wheel, but they're the split 5-spoke design. I'm considering downsizing to 21" wheels, for a little softer ride. The 22's look great, but wow do they ride hard...

I realize it's a pretty minor increase in sidewall height (about 1/2 inch in back, a little less the front)... So I'm wondering if any of you have made this change and if anyone has any comments on how the vehicle felt afterward.

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 02-08-2022, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 c, 2014 c, 2013 E, 2014 ML BT, 2016 E, 2016 GLE, 2017 S550(current), 2020 GLE450(current)
I'm unsure about 22" to 21"but the tire do affect ride quality as well.
I used drive 2017 GLE Steel Springs with 19" and
Springs with 19" is a lot smoother on joints/cracks than air with 21"...
and
21" with Pirelli felt harder than 21" with Conti
Old 02-08-2022, 11:16 PM

GLE 450
I drove the GLE 450 with 21" and 20". The ride was better on the 20"

That said if you want to sell me your 22" package shipped to WA let me know.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE
OP, I have been thru something similar to what you are considering.

I got the GLE450 air suspension which came with the AMG 20 inch, 275/50 R20 tires. I used it for one month, but proceeded very quickly to get the OEM 21 inch AMG 5 Double spoke GLE rims (which comes on the GLE 53) that use the staggered 275/45 R21 fronts and 315/40 R21 rears.

I noticed a drop in ride comfort but back then the novelty, the looks and with that aggressive staggered set up, I didn’t bother much about ride comfort.

Fast forward nearly 2 years and 25000 km later and here we are, and my perspective has changed. The novelty and looks have kinda worn off, but the ride comfort really started to bother me. The lack of refinement , sometimes quite crashy vibrations get transferred into the cabin. It’s particularly acute in the rear where besides the lower profile , I suspect the wider rear tire contact patch transfers more road imperfections into the cabin. My wife who often sits in the back with the kid has been complaining.

On top of this, I have been thru TWO full sets of 21s. The first set were Pirelli P Zeros which lasted 11 months/13000km, the rears ended up bald. The second set were Michelin Latitude Sport 3 that lasted 12 months/12000 km and the rears were a little better but still nearly bald. The ride quality did improve a little with the Michelins but still in no way refined. I live in the tropics , it’s year round summer tires and city driving, and the road conditions are generally v good. It’s tough to even find touring tires here for these sizes.

I even had alignment and balancing check ups to see if my experience was due to a bad installation (It wasn’t). Because of the staggered set up, no option to rotate the tires.

Last week I decided I had enough, I kept my original 20” rims and decided to swap back to them and had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires fitted. It’s only been a week but it’s a very noticeable improvement in ride comfort all round, and especially in the second row. It has achieved the comfort and refinement I was looking for. Also the “tramlining” I use to get in the 21s at the rear when going over metal manholes has all gone.

TLDR, ride comfort is relative, but you might want to consider 20” instead. All the best in your decision

Last edited by mechia; 02-10-2022 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gurgeh (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Tire category and life/ride comfort

Originally Posted by mechia
Fast forward nearly 2 years and 25000 km later and here we are, and my perspective has changed. The novelty and looks have kinda worn off, but the ride comfort really started to bother me. The lack of refinement , sometimes quite crashy vibrations get transferred into the cabin. It’s particularly acute in the rear where besides the lower profile , I suspect the wider rear tire contact patch transfers more road imperfections into the cabin. My wife who often sits in the back with the kid has been complaining.

On top of this, I have been thru TWO full sets of 21s. The first set were Pirelli P Zeros which lasted 11 months/13000km, the rears ended up bald. The second set were Michelin Latitude Sport 3 that lasted 12 months/12000 km and the rears were a little better but still nearly bald. The ride quality did improve a little with the Michelins but still in no way refined. I live in the tropics , it’s year round summer tires and city driving, and the road conditions are generally v good. It’s tough to even find touring tires here for these sizes.

Last week I decided I had enough, I kept my original 20” rims and decided to swap back to them and had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires fitted. It’s only been a week but it’s a very noticeable improvement in ride comfort all round, and especially in the second row. It has achieved the comfort and refinement I was looking for. Also the “tramlining” I use to get in the 21s at the rear when going over metal manholes has all gone.

TLDR, ride comfort is relative, but you might want to consider 20” instead. All the best in your decision
Regarding tire wear, as you note, all the ones you list are Summer Performance tires, so it's a given you are giving up life, but your results still seem low. UTQG: P Zero, 280; Latitude Sport 3, 220; Pilot Sport 4, 300. By comparison, the 21" Scorpion Zero All Seasons, which my car came with, are rated 500, I've got 17k miles on mine and can barely measure the wear. This choice also affects ride comfort, as Summer performance tires tend to have a stiffer carcass to aid handling. Whether you need All Seasons or not in your area, you might seek some out next time you replace tires. I find mine in 21" size are almost "cushy" (albeit withe -E-ABC).
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the sidewall, as a general statement.

I also think MO tires are better adapted for ride comfort on Mercedes suspensions, and MO-1 tires might ride better with AMG cars.
I also think they stick better.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE
@GregW / Oregon

Thanks for that UTQG info on the tires. Good to know maybe the PS4 will have better longevity. I suspect the wear I have been experiencing is cos here where I am along the equator it’s consistent 90-94F day time temp all year round. The heat and constant start stop traffic cos it’s all urban driving causes a higher wear rate.

I am aware of the advantages to A/S tires for what I am looking for. But it’s rare to find tire suppliers who will stock all season in this climate , with these large format tires, few suppliers would want to take the risk of potentially very slow moving inventory.

Even if I did manage to dig up a set of A/S in the 21s, it’s still no guarantee it would achieve the comfort I was looking for. Whereas on the other hand I had a set of 20s, and reducing rim diameter is a sure thing to improve comfort. Hence downsizing was the path I took.

Last edited by mechia; 02-10-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:01 AM

2020 GLE580
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Regarding tire wear, as you note, all the ones you list are Summer Performance tires, so it's a given you are giving up life, but your results still seem low. UTQG: P Zero, 280; Latitude Sport 3, 220; Pilot Sport 4, 300. By comparison, the 21" Scorpion Zero All Seasons, which my car came with, are rated 500, I've got 17k miles on mine and can barely measure the wear. This choice also affects ride comfort, as Summer performance tires tend to have a stiffer carcass to aid handling. Whether you need All Seasons or not in your area, you might seek some out next time you replace tires. I find mine in 21" size are almost "cushy" (albeit withe -E-ABC).
Originally Posted by mechia
OP, I have been thru something similar to what you are considering.

I got the GLE450 air suspension which came with the AMG 20 inch, 275/50 R20 tires. I used it for one month, but proceeded very quickly to get the OEM 21 inch AMG 5 Double spoke GLE rims (which comes on the GLE 53) that use the staggered 275/45 R21 fronts and 315/40 R21 rears.

I noticed a drop in ride comfort but back then the novelty, the looks and with that aggressive staggered set up, I didn’t bother much about ride comfort.

I even had alignment and balancing check ups to see if my experience was due to a bad installation (It wasn’t). Because of the staggered set up, no option to rotate the tires.

Thanks for the input everyone. Indeed, the lack of tire choices in 22" sizes is influencing my decision process to downsize. Nearly everything in the proper size for this car is a summer tire. I live in LA, so that's generally fine, though the ability to occasionally visit a ski resort is attractive. Many of the tires I'm finding invalidate their warrantees when used under 45F. ☹ The Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S is attractive, and made in the proper size... But I can't find a set in stock anywhere.

Getting a set of 21" wheels opens up more choices and more availability.

I do need tires PDQ here, but if I get wheels, I'd probably order a set of custom-size forged wheels... I figure if I do this, why not express my own style. 😁 But again, I'm getting close to the wall here. 😅

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's opinions. I'll update the thread when I make a decision.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Wheel/tire decisions

Originally Posted by bjacques123
Many of the tires I'm finding invalidate their warrantees when used under 45F. ☹
That's the first I've heard of that. Reference? How the heck would anyone know if you used them under 45 degrees? I drive my M4 with extreme performance Summers below freezing sometimes.
The Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S is attractive, and made in the proper size... But I can't find a set in stock anywhere. Getting a set of 21" wheels opens up more choices and more availability.
The Tire Rack shows the Pirelli A/S in stock in the 21" sizes.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:59 PM

2020 GLE580
That's the first I've heard of that. Reference? How the heck would anyone know if you used them under 45 degrees? I drive my M4 with extreme performance Summers below freezing sometimes.
From the product page for the Pirelli PZ4 tires: "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
I also don't know how they'd know you used them below 45F, but having that disclaimer in their warrantee gives them an "out" to screw you over on claims. Also, perhaps they have temperature tattle-tale strips inside the tire or bead, etc.

The Tire Rack shows the Pirelli A/S in stock in the 21" sizes.
Correct. But I have 22" wheels, of which the A/S tires are not in-stock. Hence, I might buy some 21" wheels, which opens up more options and availability.