GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Traffic Sign Read Failures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 10:39 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Ron.s
You may have missed some earlier posts. The issue isn’t with the 450…it worked as it should on my 2020 GLE 450. As I posted earlier I had the setting on my GLE 53 until last summer but it has never worked, on or off, it was always on. A software update removed the option from the menu last summer. Personally I would never use Route Based Speed in a car but right now I have no choice.
Edit: I forgot to add that Traffic signs is an option but just the same, on or off nothing changes in the Distronic functioning.
Ahh yes, I did forget that was mentioned previously. Definitely sucks they don't work as intended even if you never plan on using them.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:29 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by Ron.s
As many of you know I’ve reported a serious safety issue with my GLE misreading traffic signs and then braking aggressively.
Just wanted to clarify that the option to avoid it from braking aggressively is the "Limit Adoption" option from the Traffic Sign Assist selection, inside the Assistance menu. Do you have this option Ron?

This is different from the "Route-based Speed" option right under the Assistance menu. This one looks at the live traffic information and maps on bends and curves and adjusts the speed accordingly.

The Limit Adoption is what makes my GLE brakes abruptly when the speed limit lowers from 70 to 60 on our interstate. The route-based speed just slowly brakes the car on oncoming bends. At least that's how I observed mine.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (03-15-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,031 Likes on 699 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by djer
Just wanted to clarify that the option to avoid it from braking aggressively is the "Limit Adoption" option from the Traffic Sign Assist selection, inside the Assistance menu. Do you have this option Ron?
This is different from the "Route-based Speed" option right under the Assistance menu. This one looks at the live traffic information and maps on bends and curves and adjusts the speed accordingly.
The Limit Adoption is what makes my GLE brakes abruptly when the speed limit lowers from 70 to 60 on our interstate. The route-based speed just slowly brakes the car on oncoming bends. At least that's how I observed mine.
I have that option but I haven’t attempted to use it lately. My understanding is a little different in how it’s supposed to work but it does nothing different in mine on or off. I’ll try it again next week to confirm. My Dealer has opened up a case with Mercedes Tech Support and I sent them some requested video in October, 2021. As of last week they are “still working on it”. In the video I started by going through each Assistance function and turning everything off. Then I made a video of the set speed changing to whatever speed limit it read incorrectly. The crazy thing is I can tap the throttle and it changes back to the original setting.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
[QUOTE=Ron.s;8526906]
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo

I should have said speed limit signs. It does no show stop signs. It will Show two signs at times when you enter a school zone or on curves for example. It shows the speed limit and below it a school zone speed limit sign in orange. If you have HUD it will also show there.
My car also recognizes intersection traffic lights to open the camera view of the intersection.
I dont have this shown on my options. I am assuming you need the AR camera for this but some folks are saying no. Do you have this in your vehicle? Greg do you have this?

Old 03-16-2022, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43

Do you have the AR camera behind the rear view mirror? Have you seen your vehicle show traffic light signs in your dash?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLE 350
Do you have the AR camera behind the rear view mirror? Have you seen your vehicle show traffic light signs in your dash?
There are a few different options that are a bit confusing. I got this from another post:

1. Traffic Sign Assist: Shows you speed limit signs in your dash and HUD. This is part of the Driver Assistance Package.
2. Traffic Light View: Shows you live video of a red light when you are stopped. Part of the MBUX Augmented Reality option.
3. Traffic Light Information: This is a new system that communicates with traffic lights but Mercedes has yet to enable it and it is only in a few areas right now.

1 definitely works for me, but I do not have 2 since AR was not an option when I purchased due to the chip shortage. I have 3 enabled, but it has yet to show anything. I was told by the dealer this is not enabled in my area yet.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 AM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y

Thats how mine works too. However, route based speed adoption can also result in unexpected braking if the Real time traffic data has latency (a traffic jam that is no longer there) or it thinks you’re going through a toll both when you have EZPass

Last edited by TexAg91; 03-16-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:54 AM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I have Drivers Assistance Package Plus, but no Augmented Reality (which means no camera behind/below rearview mirror).

Traffic light signs and timers on my dash, yes. The dash needs to be on the Assistance menu, not Trip, not Navigation, and it needs to be where it's showing the distance to the vehicle ahead. Also, this works in Oregon but not Washington, as the traffic department needs to have the capability to show this. It appears that WA is not on board yet, however when I go to downtown Portland OR, the traffic light timers are spot on!
Old 03-16-2022, 03:38 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
I have augmented reality, it does show traffic lights including on occasion a count down but it's not consistent and far from reliable. I don't have traffic sign assist optioned in the car.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:30 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
I dont have this shown on my options. I am assuming you need the AR camera for this but some folks are saying no. Do you have this in your vehicle? Greg do you have this?

You don't need AR for this to be on, however in order for this to be activated, you need to go online on the web to your Mercedes Me portal - www.mbusa.com then go to My Account, log in, and select Manage Services, then make sure all the selections are enabled, including the "Connected Traffic Light Services":

The following users liked this post:
mikapen (03-17-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle350
We are having exact same problems with our new GLE 350. It constantly brakes on the highway after reading Exit speed signs. Also, for no reason we can detect, it says speed limit is 30 mph when we are on the highway and speed limit is 70. Over the last couple of weeks, we get a warning that cameras are not working. Very frustrating. I am going to bring it into the dealer to see if they can figure out what is wrong. I will show them your post which I hope will help them resolve the problem. Thanks for posting your problem and advice for resolution.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS
Unexpected breaking on highway

In Europe the Route Based Speed not only takes into consideration curves and online queue status from the navigation service “Here” but also pulls registered speed limits from the same service. Hence it might not always be the camera that misreads the sign wrong or reads signs on exit ramps. We have experience multiple times that
the car breaks unexpectedly from 70 to 25 mph on a highway and the reason was that there was a local road bridge crossing the highway. If you register online on Here (access for MB is somewhat hidden) you can see what speed is registered for any road segment. Sometimes we see that the service has a speed interruption on the highway due to the crossing bridge. On other occasions the car itself believes it is traveling on an elevated level and navigation jumps to bridge in the map also causing brutal braking. Also seen while driving tunnels under the city. The navigation advice recalculate constantly and jumps around all the small streets on city level while car is underground.