High-End Burmester Sound Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 734 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 S500
High-End Burmester Sound Settings

I've been fiddling non-stop with the sound system, trying to find a setting suitable for all sources of music that I listen to.

First, this system is amazing; it can be thunderously, almost unsafe-level loud with absolutely zero distortion across the entire frequency range. It's quite impressive. I can hear subtleties that get muddled out in my BMW's HK system. The bass is another eye-opening experience; my BMW had what I considered pretty good bass, but it lacked a true subwoofer and you can tell the difference.

The only knock I will give it is the lack of a true equalizer and inability to set the sound stage to all front: it's either driver, passenger or all, you can't set it all front, which would be my preference.

Here are my settings:
1. Bass: +4
2. Mid: +1
3. Treble: -1
4. Sound Mode: Live
5. Focus: All

The surround and 3D sounded too tinny to me for some reason and I couldn't compensate for that with the available EQ settings. Setting it to LIVE enhanced the frequencies that I enjoyed and removed some of that tinny harshness without having to make exaggerated changes to the EQ.

Anyone else care to share their settings?

Old 07-07-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
I’m still playing with it tbh. When you first get this car the sheer amount of tech can be a bit much even if you’re coming from a couple year old Mercedes.

I agree the stereo system is insane. Beats any other car I’ve owned including a B&O system in my ‘17 Audi S7. The clarity is fantastic.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:03 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I've been fiddling non-stop with the sound system, trying to find a setting suitable for all sources of music that I listen to.

First, this system is amazing; it can be thunderously, almost unsafe-level loud with absolutely zero distortion across the entire frequency range. It's quite impressive. I can hear subtleties that get muddled out in my BMW's HK system. The bass is another eye-opening experience; my BMW had what I considered pretty good bass, but it lacked a true subwoofer and you can tell the difference.

The only knock I will give it is the lack of a true equalizer and inability to set the sound stage to all front: it's either driver, passenger or all, you can't set it all front, which would be my preference.

Here are my settings:
1. Bass: +4
2. Mid: +1
3. Treble: -1
4. Sound Mode: Live
5. Focus: All

The surround and 3D sounded too tinny to me for some reason and I couldn't compensate for that with the available EQ settings. Setting it to LIVE enhanced the frequencies that I enjoyed and removed some of that tinny harshness without having to make exaggerated changes to the EQ.

Anyone else care to share their settings?
Very interesting.
Do you have the speakers on the top, headliner behind the driver and front passenger as well as the led lit font speaker tweeters (a pillar)?
Old 07-07-2022, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Yes, there are two speakers in the headliner just behind the front passenger seats and two in the door A pillars, all are LED lit. These LED lit speakers creates this crazy looking aesthetic at night. I have to catch myself not staring at the interior and watch the road while driving at night. I'm sure this will pass as I get use to it, but wow, LED lighting in this car is insane.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The best experience is to select the VIP seat for the Driver's position. Time alignment snaps into place, sound coherence is amazing.
Start by skipping the Surround and Live, because they introduce artifacts. Once you have heard that pure sound, you'll have a different opinion on the settings, I'll bet.

You'll also treasure the high bit-rate sound sources if you have any.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by mikapen
The best experience is to select the VIP seat for the Driver's position. Time alignment snaps into place, sound coherence is amazing.
Start by skipping the Surround and Live, because they introduce artifacts. Once you have heard that pure sound, you'll have a different opinion on the settings, I'll bet.

You'll also treasure the high bit-rate sound sources if you have any.

When you select the VIP seat as driver how does the passenger experience the audio?
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Burmester High-End 3D Surround System

Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Very interesting.
Do you have the speakers on the top, headliner behind the driver and front passenger as well as the led lit font speaker tweeters (a pillar)?
Here is the diagram from the manufacturer's website, which I have annotated in English. Based on the speaker size, they had the two in the dash reversed, which I have corrected. 25 speakers, 1,550 watts output. Losing the spare would be a deal killer for me.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Originally Posted by Dunga
When you select the VIP seat as driver how does the passenger experience the audio?
Yes, it certainly sounds better with the VIP to the driver’s seat, but that was my concern in how it would sound to others in the car. I didn’t want to be a selfish hog. I need to sit in other seats and see how this affect the sound.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Yes, it certainly sounds better with the VIP to the driver’s seat, but that was my concern in how it would sound to others in the car. I didn’t want to be a selfish hog. I need to sit in other seats and see how this affect the sound.
Just switch the VIP seat around to hear what it sounds like.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I sat in all the seats with the VIP set to Drivers and ALL and there was a pronounced difference for those other seats; it sounded a lot better with it set to ALL. I really don’t feel like it changing it all of the time so I just left it to ALL.

Also, I adjusted the settings even more, raising the bass to +7 and lowering the mid to -1.