GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Forbes just posted this. Bummer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 734 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 S500
I still can’t find that article. Can anyone link it?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,256 Likes on 2,027 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by places
No brand hatred here, I've demonstrated my commitment to Mercedes and will likely continue to, however not with any of the entry level crap they peddle as the best or nothing. There is a reason I won't own one of these, too risky and I have better things to do with my time than spend it in the service lane. As a long time consumer of this brand I think I have earned the right to make any comments I like.

If you think the 167 is comparable to other Benz launches or most any other German SUV's take your head out of the sand. It's clearly been one of, if not the most flawed vehicles ever built by MB. The problems witnessed on this forum alone are comical at best.

Will be running after 10 years? No, but they should. Mercedes used to break in at 100K miles, obviously not anymore. As for comparing to other brands, that's a fail. The classic, it's no different than or better than a mediocre standard. Expectations have been lowered, tolerance and acceptance for sub par performance/reliability is normal, and that's sad.
I think most would simply enjoy a balanced viewpoint from a longtime owner, recognizing the pros/cons of various models. This would be of great value to other members.

The launch of the V167 was definitely poorly executed, combined with some bad timing related to the pandemic. Interestingly though, the GLE is highly successful in the market place. Inventory has not been able to catchup with sales or its sales potential. Pinging our dealer on reliability has also not flagged the car, rather the 48Volt issues for a while and MBUX/software issues, neither which were specific to the GLE.
That said, I assume that you have a somewhat selective memory when it comes to MB quality problems as you owned some of the most flawed models MB ever built, namely the W220. The amount of crap that Mercedes produced from 2000 to 2006 pales anything in comparison; I can speak from experience. The V167 is a non-issue car in comparison and the issues laughably minor to those of the past.

The Forbes info listed here is obviously non-sense; our 2020 GLE is coming off lease and is worth more than what we paid new. Nothing beats the G-Wagon is resale value but no S-Class could get there, even in this market.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-12-2022 at 07:27 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Wolfman:
BenjaminKohl (07-13-2022), chassis (07-12-2022), cupecoy (07-13-2022), dan1495 (07-12-2022), haibieb (07-12-2022), HotRodW (07-12-2022), js_cls (07-12-2022), mjb2124 (07-15-2022), places (07-12-2022), Ron.s (07-12-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:48 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
I had a 2020. I had a couple of issues, nothing crazy for a new Model. Liked it enough that I traded for a 2021. The 2021 has been impeccable. Not a single issue to date 20K Miles and 1 simple recall. Matter of fact I've been buying Mercedes since the early 90's and have owned most models and this is the best one I've owned. With that said, I already have an order in for a 2023.
chassis (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by bkushner
I had a 2020. I had a couple of issues, nothing crazy for a new Model. Liked it enough that I traded for a 2021. The 2021 has been impeccable. Not a single issue to date 20K Miles and 1 simple recall. Matter of fact I've been buying Mercedes since the early 90's and have owned most models and this is the best one I've owned. With that said, I already have an order in for a 2023.
Just curious but why an order for a '23? The Facelift won't be until '24 and that will likely be more worthy to hold over for, although with the current chip shortage it could restrict options you may want.
chassis (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 03:06 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Originally Posted by js_cls
Just curious but why an order for a '23? The Facelift won't be until '24 and that will likely be more worthy to hold over for, although with the current chip shortage it could restrict options you may want.
I had originally thought the facelift was going to be this year. I am trying to cash in on optimum trade value and I'll probably get the 24 when it arrives :-)
chassis (07-14-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 08:57 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
I have enjoyed my GLE 350 4 Matic for 16 months. I’ve had minor issues such as a whistling sound from driver’s side mirror, and the fuel filler door not being perfectly flush when closed. These issues have not really detracted from the enjoyment I’ve had owning my GLE , even though I am a very fussy person I chose not to address them with my dealership, perhaps somewhat leery they will do more harm than good. After following this site and reading of all the issues owners are experiencing with their GLEs , I was very hesitant in driving my GLE from NY to FL last winter, I was contemplating taking my 2017 Honda CR-V. Well I took my GLE and it was flawless, I put on about 4k miles while away. The only minor issue I had was a false alert from my TPMS , this occurred on the drive home while on I 95.
As many contributors have pointed out significant mechanical problems, as well as questionable fit and finish, I would never want to own my vehicle off of warranty. I am quite sure that the majority of these complaints are legitimate, even though there seems to be contributors whose enjoyment is to just despise MB. I strongly believe that the Lexus product is a more reliable vehicle than MB, as is most Japanese vehicles. Believing this, I still chose the GLE and do not regret it. Based upon a couple of friends with a Jaguar, we have nothing to complain about.
Assuming that the premise is correct, that Lexus is a more reliable vehicle than MB, why can’t the engineers at MB see what Lexus is doing to make their vehicles more dependable and start to engineer these changes into the MB without sacrificing the styling and fun factor, if that is possible, or is it just a cultural thing.
In summary I have no buyer’s remorse, looked at the Lexus RX , BMW x5 , and 16 months later I am more convinced than ever that I made the right decision.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bryce1023:
BenjaminKohl (07-17-2022), chassis (07-17-2022), sibs1 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Assuming that the premise is correct, that Lexus is a more reliable vehicle than MB, why can’t the engineers at MB see what Lexus is doing to make their vehicles more dependable and start to engineer these changes into the MB without sacrificing the styling and fun factor, if that is possible, or is it just a cultural thing.
Great post.

It's a cultural thing. A head in the sand thing. A flat earth thing.

All automakers are 100% aware of what other automakers are doing with their models, features and engineering details. It's an everyday occurrence in automakers that competitors' vehicles are torn down to bits, weighed, measured, photographed, tested, you name it. Nothing is left to the imagination.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:39 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Part of it is the manufacturing/assembly process. Toyota is really good at it. But build quality is only part of it, obviously. The other part is design, and here is where the two brands differ greatly. Benz is an innovator. They love to pioneer new technologies, and with any new technology comes a risk of teething problems. Generally speaking, Benz customers are willing to take the risk to have the latest and greatest. Lexus is much more conservative, being very cautious with new tech, and often lagging well behind the Germans. They also tend to hold onto models longer, allowing the few problems they have to be addressed early on then milking the model for as long as possible. But they aren't perfect. Concerned about getting left behind, Toyota and Lexus have recently started getting a bit more aggressive with tech, and the result has been more-than-typical problems with recent launches. In fact, Toyota was barely above average in the most recent JD Power Initial Quality Study. With a wave of new models coming, I predict things will only worsen for the brands. They will probably always be built better, however. That is a culture thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
BenjaminKohl (07-17-2022), chassis (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2022 GLE
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Tesla has never done well in JD Power's Initial Quality survey. The only JDP survey that shows Tesla in a positive light is the APEAL study, which has everything to do with image and nothing to do with quality or reliability.

The Initial Quality and Reliability data JDP provides is real, it's the methodology that should be questioned. Who in their right minds thinks a transmission failure is equal to faulty bluetooth? Yet they are both reported as just one problem in JDP results. The data needs to be weighted so severe mechanical and electronic issues standout.
I gotta go by what’s happening in the world. In Amsterdam a great many taxis are Tesla. Talked to many drivers, and they have went well over 150-200K kilometers.
chassis (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
HotRod is spot on…We have had several Toyota/Lexus vehicles and even as recent as 10 years ago quality wasn’t stellar without a lot of Tech. They are nice looking cars but had old Tech, no performance engines and no fancy suspensions. The Mercedes GLE has options from basic to very advanced. You can customize a GLE but an RX has far less choices.
Sometimes the difference between 1st place and the Middle isn’t much. My wife’s 2015 Lexus had several annoying issues like a steering column rattle and infotainment going blank. The leather seats felt good around town but crappy on an all day drive. Adjustments limited!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
BenjaminKohl (07-17-2022), chassis (07-17-2022)