GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Experience at local Mercedes-Benz Service Department

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 04:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
That is the way Brian is…..very customer service oriented...
Old 07-29-2022, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

Last edited by mikapen; 07-29-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
LOL. Really. Bribery is a crime. Giving someone a 15yr Dalwhinnie is not bribery, and accepting it is not belittling. LOL.

I'm speaking from my time working in a service department when I put myself through school. Your comments remind me of two guys who had the same lemon Jags. One guy was the father of a Hollywood movie producer, the other a younger architect. The producers dad was a well-known local man and philanthropist himself, but he was always sniffing around for freebies and working different angles and scowling and voicing his dis-satisfaction with everything, nobody was in any rush to see him or help him. The other was a younger guy who probably couldn't afford the jag himself but would none-the-less throw a couple of pizzas down on Friday afternoon for the techs, partsmen and drivers. I mean he was literately always there for repairs, so it was the least he could do. Who do you think got better service?

I witnessed several top techs, including a guy on the Porsche Cup Homologation committee seemingly degrade themselves with said pizza. And he was far from the only guy. Some customer or another would bring coffee, donuts, bagels, beer and stuff every couple of weeks. I didn't witness one smug, prideful refusal, to be honest. You can't tell me nobody appreciates a small gesture.

For the record, I went for beer and wings with my dentist just before Covid! I'll let him know I "own" him now. He'll be thrilled!
Old 07-29-2022, 11:19 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Another thing you can do that I find works equally as well is to give the tech a glowing 5 star review on Google…call them out by tech number or name…the dealer owner/manager will see it and they may earn bonuses.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:16 AM

Received 376 Likes on 261 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by mikapen
I don't think you understand the pride that top technicians take in the service they provide.
They have years of training, 20 to $40,000+ in personal tools, and make serious money.

A couple cases of beer might be appropriate for the janitors. Do you offer beer to your dentist?
some people might actually create a friendly relationship with their dentist and take them to dinner or golf or whatever, and then when it’s time for a root canal, they not only give you an nice price, but they do a good job. How do I know this, because my dad always traded goods for services.

I am assuming you don’t tip servers or other service people either. Many hard working service providers make lots of money so you probably should not tip any of them. Recognizing a tip for good service or a thank you note is NOT bribery and is not belittling and takes human compassion. Being human allows you to understand that gifts are a form of communication for people that might go above and beyond. Pride is a wonderful thing but one dollar is greater than zero and even the richest people know that. Now, when you meet complete ignoramus that throw money in the trash because of poison hubris, remember they will never be you friend, have compassion, build relationships or mentally succeed in a direction good for society.

I was taught as a child 40 years ago to take care of any person that does a little better with their jobs OR to create long lasting relationships. I’m not rich, I’m human. Those that don’t give a tip of beer or pizza or make simple gestures have no place on this earth and deserve all the **** service they get. These are the types to always take the gift but never offer the gift. Scum.

Always offer a gift. You don’t know if the guy has had time to eat lunch that day, no matter how rich, dripping in gold, with money flying out of their pockets they may be.

can’t figure out if you’ll understand, probably not.

Last edited by Baltistyle; 07-30-2022 at 06:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baltistyle:
Brocktoon (07-31-2022), chassis (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
I can appreciate these gratuities, and I don’t have problems with them, but I definitely don’t believe it should be necessary or expected to get good service. Car maintenance these days is a borderline, monopolistic racket. It’s a shakedown, plain and simple. When we’re paying hourly labor rates that costs as much as an attorney, something is wrong. They get enough of our money, we shouldn’t have to tip them to get good service.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:23 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
OP, what ever happened with the interior? Did the issues get fixed to you liking? I have been victim of dirty techs too; and raised hell at the time.
I also used to think greasing/bribing people was the way to go but NOT at a MB service visit. The world is very different now in that regard. I hope you get the issues resolved.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
This bothers me. I am not implying that non-luxury brands should offer less or subpar service but any luxury brand needs to go the extra step. Vehicle care while in the possession of the service department has to be a TOP PRIORITY. Accidents happen, yes, and if they do, the right thing to do is report it to the customer, no matter how small and followed by an action plan. It is called ethic. Carelessness on the other hand, is inexcusable.
I am learning now that every time I drop off my vehicle anywhere, I do so recently washed and take pictures everywhere as my own inspection on how the car is being handed over. The video/pictures MB dealerships take are not very detailed.
It sucks but it happens across all dealerships from non to luxury. SA really does not have much control or at all. You sure can hold them accountable for but prevention is up in the air. It has to come from the top. One of Lexus dealerships I've gone to have a check sheet like the one they use when you get a loaner or rental car. The check in SA will walk around your car, check and note everything, any unusual marks and have you initial/sign. I think this is a great way so there will be no blame game. Speaking of wash... the last MB I went.... I told them not to wash. They said they put a note in there. When the SA called me to update the vehicle was about to be done. I reminded him again to tell them not to wash. "Yes, yes... I know. I put a note here already." Guess what? They washed it. I usually tape a "Please No Wash" paper on my steering wheel. This time I was there for a quick check and didn't think I would need to drop the car off. Luckily no damage and the paint is still good. Maybe their wash is decent. They do wash cars for free if purchased with them.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:59 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mb2be
It sucks but it happens across all dealerships from non to luxury. SA really does not have much control or at all. You sure can hold them accountable for but prevention is up in the air. It has to come from the top. One of Lexus dealerships I've gone to have a check sheet like the one they use when you get a loaner or rental car. The check in SA will walk around your car, check and note everything, any unusual marks and have you initial/sign. I think this is a great way so there will be no blame game. Speaking of wash... the last MB I went.... I told them not to wash. They said they put a note in there. When the SA called me to update the vehicle was about to be done. I reminded him again to tell them not to wash. "Yes, yes... I know. I put a note here already." Guess what? They washed it. I usually tape a "Please No Wash" paper on my steering wheel. This time I was there for a quick check and didn't think I would need to drop the car off. Luckily no damage and the paint is still good. Maybe their wash is decent. They do wash cars for free if purchased with them.
I also always opted out of the 'free swirl marks' service.
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
djgiovanni (08-01-2022), j_house_ (08-03-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Some good discussion on this thread. One of the posts was deleted. Why?
Old 07-31-2022, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
Some good discussion on this thread. One of the posts was deleted. Why?
What, mine # 27? I deleted it after deciding I had already made my point.
chassis (07-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 01:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lexus
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Having worked in a luxury/exotic service department when I was a kid, I employ a pretty simple strategy that helps eliminate many of these service department problems:
- Find one good service advisor, and stick with him through your ownership of the car. -
Only deal with one guy, if you already know any of them from previous dealerships or cars, it will make your choice pretty easy. If not, take the time to introduce yourself to the service manager before the first service and tell him you intend to deal with only one advisor, and you want to know who the "best" guy is. Straight up tell him you are a busy person with high expectations and you know that this team can do it, but you want to know who his best deputy would be to make sure you get there together. Go over together, meet the advisor, and let them know that you have high expectations, and are pleased to know you are meeting the guy who can make it happen. For example, my advisor happens to drive a big Mercedes himself (rich wife), so he understands where guys are coming from in terms of expectations.

Now, the manager and the advisor have taken "ownership" of your satisfaction before you even bring the car in. The advantages to you are:
  • You hopefully have cards/direct lines to both of them for follow-up. (I have my Mercedes guys home cell phone#)
  • If there are repeat visits for issues, you never have to try to explain it over and over, or have techs going off on their own on the wrong thing.
  • They should know your car and remember the history so you don't have to always repeat that.
  • Knowing you are picky and serious, they can make sure their "best" tech is on certain problems and work with the shop foremen to make sure jobs are done right.
  • Hopefully they take pride in making you happy, and don't let people screw up your car.
I won't bring the car in if he's off or on vacation. I won't let my wife drop it off with anyone else, If I have to wait until my guy is free, I do it. It all takes less time than dicking around with a complicated car with possibly incompetent messengers.

In return I do every thing they recommend. If I have some major repairs, go to bat for me on warranty, or give me goodwill, I'll drop of some scotch that Christmas. If they really go to bat for me, I'll drop off a 24 for the boys in the back, too.

I do the same thing at tire shops, landscaping, security company, everywhere. Even if they say "we all work together" or whatever, just ignore them. One customer, one point of contact, that's my rule.
Thumbs up for you.
Brocktoon (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I also always opted out of the 'free swirl marks' service.
+1
Old 08-01-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
OP, what ever happened with the interior? Did the issues get fixed to you liking? I have been victim of dirty techs too; and raised hell at the time.
I also used to think greasing/bribing people was the way to go but NOT at a MB service visit. The world is very different now in that regard. I hope you get the issues resolved.
The interior was sorted by an outside detailing company at my request. It was delivered to me the same way I left it with them. The GM inspected the car when I came in to pick it up and wanted to make sure I was 100% satisfied. I have been receiving text messages since from the GM, SA and loaner advisor making sure I am happy.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 GLE43, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
How do you think they fixed the water stain on the headliner? Can you detect it at all?
Old 08-01-2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by gle43FL
How do you think they fixed the water stain on the headliner? Can you detect it at all?
They steamed it (headliner and sun-shade). No trace what so ever of previous problem.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 GLE43, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Glad to hear that.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:31 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
MB Dealership Service

I enjoyed reading all the interesting experiences fellow MB owners have had at their service departments. I think that showing one’s appreciation with a monetary tip or giving a holiday gift to the employees that work with you throughout the year is very thoughtful. In most cases we do these nice gestures to try to insure that our expensive luxury vehicles are treated with the care they deserve. I guess years ago it could have been called “protection money “, protection for the vehicle. There is no one set of standards established by MB that ALL dealerships must adhere to. Perhaps there should be, at least a minimum with care of exterior and interior of car, covering floor, seating, and steering wheel. Valets and technicians should not be wearing buckles which can scratch your car. Hands and clothing should be relatively clean. As some have mentioned, social media can be a very effective tool in forcing dealerships to be more respectful of your property, and making it right when the inevitable mistake occurs. They must always have respect and real concern for any issue the customer has. We all know that some customers have a sense of entitlement, can never be happy, and their real happiness is complaining. They too must be dealt with respectfully. My Honda dealer will call me, email me, text me, after every service visit to make sure that everything went well, or if I had any concerns. Not so with my MB dealer. This is something that stems from the culture of the company, the reward or punishment the dealer may receive for anything less than a 5 star customer survey. MB can improve, if you have had a real issue at the dealership level and cannot get the satisfaction you believe that you are entitled to, turn to posting your complaint online, contacting your BBB, and have a realistic resolution, what will make you happy. Send pictures, name names, believe me the dealer will be contacting you .
Brocktoon (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:58 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
The interior was sorted by an outside detailing company at my request. It was delivered to me the same way I left it with them. The GM inspected the car when I came in to pick it up and wanted to make sure I was 100% satisfied. I have been receiving text messages since from the GM, SA and loaner advisor making sure I am happy.
I bet you they are reading this thread too. Good they do and care for their reputation. Some don't give jack. I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
some people might actually create a friendly relationship with their dentist and take them to dinner or golf or whatever, and then when it’s time for a root canal, they not only give you an nice price, but they do a good job. How do I know this, because my dad always traded goods for services.
I am assuming you don’t tip servers or other service people either. Many hard working service providers make lots of money so you probably should not tip any of them. Recognizing a tip for good service or a thank you note is NOT bribery and is not belittling and takes human compassion. Being human allows you to understand that gifts are a form of communication for people that might go above and beyond. Pride is a wonderful thing but one dollar is greater than zero and even the richest people know that. Now, when you meet complete ignoramus that throw money in the trash because of poison hubris, remember they will never be you friend, have compassion, build relationships or mentally succeed in a direction good for society.
I was taught as a child 40 years ago to take care of any person that does a little better with their jobs OR to create long lasting relationships. I’m not rich, I’m human. Those that don’t give a tip of beer or pizza or make simple gestures have no place on this earth and deserve all the **** service they get. These are the types to always take the gift but never offer the gift. Scum.
Always offer a gift. You don’t know if the guy has had time to eat lunch that day, no matter how rich, dripping in gold, with money flying out of their pockets they may be.
can’t figure out if you’ll understand, probably not.
You have some good points here. And I too think it's a good thing to do to show your appreciation, esp. the time we're in. Healthcare providers tend to shy away from accepting anything for just one individual. If a patient brings something for the whole department/clinic, that's no problem. But when it's for one individual, a coffee card or similar may be the most they would take. Most also tend not to develop relationship outside the clinic. And trading goods for services is a big no no.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:32 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by mb2be
I Healthcare providers tend to shy away from accepting anything for just one individual. If a patient brings something for the whole department/clinic, that's no problem. But when it's for one individual, a coffee card or similar may be the most they would take. Most also tend not to develop relationship outside the clinic.
If I'm in a professional office a bunch in a year, I give an Easter Lilly or Poinsettia "for the clinic" which I will drop off in person to the office manager, not the professional himself. He and I will probably cross paths at a Rotary lunch or something and if we get along, I might go for a beer or watch a game with him as stated above. I don't want to give the impression that I chum around with every doctor or dentist I visit.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E-350 Loaded
Did you try raising hell with the service manager and general manager? Google reviews do wonders. I not only had the dealership hire an outside company for a full interior detail, but as soon as the review hit on Google, within an hour the general manager, service manager, and service adviser were calling me and texting me to apologize and to give them the opportunity to have my business again. The dealership where I purchased my car, which is 1 hour away and has no affiliation with the one the discrepancy was had at, called me to secure my services with them going forward.

In the end I accepted the apology and of course the offer to detail the interior. I will, however, be taking high res pictures and videos before surrendering my car. I hate that I have to do that at a Mercedes-Benz dealership. Should just be a pleasant exchange from key-out to key-in.
Kudos for them on truing to make good of a bad situation. Dealerships, like many of us, are having extreme employee shortages not to mention workmanship issues.
mikapen (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Kudos for them on truing to make good of a bad situation. Dealerships, like many of us, are having extreme employee shortages not to mention workmanship issues.
Plus with over a year of deferred maintenance during COVID there is still some catching up to do. My Dealer goes “above and beyond” with Service but I made a point of getting to know key people and dropped off $100 worth of treats at Christmas as a thank you. The “great resignation” has apparently hit the Dealer also, maybe causing disruption in some Dealerships. The Service Manager recently told me that he has been able to add staff with lots of quality choices from those wanting to get out of larger West Coast locations.