Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
anyone with dead Head Unit
I can provide replacement (including upgrade from mid to high) for 1000-1500$
Wrong thread but you have my attention. Specify what you mean by "upgrade from mid to high" please
Old 08-11-2022, 05:01 PM
SPONSOR

Received 855 Likes on 663 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

Old 08-11-2022, 05:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 855 Likes on 663 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
dealer would cost you 6K
just mentioning as on of my new 167 members asked me to replace his dead unit
headunit includes ALL full option activation licences
10-14 days delay
might save someone 4500$

Last edited by BenzNinja; 08-11-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:23 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Here’s definition:A system on a chip, also known as an SoC, is essentially an integrated circuit or an IC that takes a single platform and integrates an entire electronic or computer system onto it. It is, exactly as its name suggests, an entire system on a single chip. The components that an SoC generally looks to incorporate within itself include a central processing unit, input and output ports, internal memory, as well as analog input and output blocks among other things. Depending on the kind of system that has been reduced to the size of a chip, it can perform a variety of functions including signal processing, wireless communication, artificial intelligence and more.
Where a system on a chip used to be nothing more than a buzzword just a couple of decades ago, it has now become an integral part of the world of technology and electronics in modern times. The application of SoCs in the practical world are practically limitless and priceless. They are used in most, if not all, portable tech such as smartphones, cameras, tablets, and other wireless technologies. Your smartphone is a good example of how a system on chip works. When you use your cell phone, you do not only use it to make and receive calls- you also use it to browse the internet, view videos, listen to audio, take photos, play games, text message, and whatnot. None of this would be possible without having multiple components such as a graphics card, internet support, wireless connections, GPS, and many other elements. An SoC allows you to take all of these components, put them on a single chip, shrink it down to a size that can fit in the palm of your hand, and carry it around as a living and breathing system in your phone.
Of course I know what it is and how it's used. I asked the question because you said yours didn't come with it. What/how would it, the GLE, be different if it came with the technology?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mb2be
Of course I know what it is and how it's used. I asked the question because you said yours didn't come with it. What/how would it, the GLE, be different if it came with the technology?
Maybe someone in the field might add more technical expertise but here’s my take. SuperSwiss?

My opinion is based on some experience with my personal GLE’s and what “I think I know” from following the subject. I am highly confident that SoC is not on current GLE MBUX systems.
With SoC there is the ability to use modern chips (better availability), faster chips, less chips and separate control units in a vehicle. It should eliminate the current dependence on old chip architecture. Mercedes EV’s are a perfect starting point since the EV won’t need an ECU or TCU and in some ways you start from scratch with the different architecture in an EV. My guess is that one SoC “brain” controlling all vehicle functions will have less software conflicts and less technical support in numbers by eliminating fragmented systems. Currently if you change one module or control unit it can also require changes to another one. A glitch in one might impact another function. Since an SoC is going to be customized for the intended vehicle use they should be unique to a Manufacturer. The Artificial Intelligence piece will almost certainly be required for Self Driving Cars…even L3. NVDA is a leader in AI and Chip design and was mentioned as the source for Mercedes SoC.
Fabs making older chips seem to have little incentive to add significant capacity of old technology yet new vehicles need more chips than those of a few years ago. Mercedes has recently stated that they intend to migrate to new chips but I don’t have that info except from memory. There have been news articles predicting that more in the Auto industry will migrate. I can’t help but wonder how a new SoC system will work if there is a failure…any redundancy or will it brick the car? As usual the customer might be the Guinea pig.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
What are the differences between mid & high ?
Old 08-14-2022, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by mb2be
Probably very little difference. CAN-Bus would still see SoS as a node if they used it as a standalone controller, but that would be a waste of the technology. Including CAN-Bus, SoC and analog devices.
Here's a link about CAN-Bus, with more information than necessary but it's complete. https://www.autopi.io/blog/can-bus-explained/

You can lose a node, whether it's an SOC, ECU, or a sensor, and it won't brick your car.
From the article,
"In the future, CAN bus will still be commonly used, but influenced by major automotive industry trendssuch as; growth of Internet of Things and connected vehicles, impact of autonomous vehicles, the rise of cloud computing, the need for advanced vehicle functionality and more."
An SoC is merely a miniaturized, powerful ICU that takes advantage of Moore's Law and thinner wafers.
It's advantage is size, speed, lower energy consumption with less heat.

Unfortunately, they can be generic and can be used by lazy programmers, just like subroutines. Which led to bloated software and higher demands on CPUs.
Time May tell.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
Well sh*t! That was one short run for MBUX! Dont get me wrong. Love the tech advancement. Drove me nuts how long Comand stuck around. It sucked! After experiencing my '21 MBUX, it has already become boring and barely use any of it's features and once I chose a dash config, i haven't changed it and used any of it's other features in over a year. I use android auto for waze instead of MBUX nav 🤷. I love feature filled tech that I'll constantly use.

Last edited by phoenixone; 08-19-2022 at 09:56 AM.