Goodby MBUX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Goodby MBUX

Perfect model to start charging for subscription services?

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/me...tem-in-2024my/
Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
It sounds like they are moving completely in the direction of Tesla. I guess we can kiss all buttons goodbye. I just wonder how much continued support MB will ultimately offer to legacy MBUX systems in our vehicles.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:38 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Things are changing so fast.....

No doubt this is the perfect platform for MB to have total control of all systems and go subscription based like everything else in today's world. MY-2024 seems unrealistic to me though. There have been no leaks nor word of testbeds. As has always been the case, the S-Class gets all new technology and then it trickles down to all other models as the years pass. We'll see....
Old 08-10-2022, 08:45 AM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Nobody will be buying, just short term leases.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (08-16-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Just what I need to make that three mile drive to the grocery store for some ice cream more pleasurable. Can't wait.
makris0000 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 09:12 AM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Frenetic
It sounds like they are moving completely in the direction of Tesla. I guess we can kiss all buttons goodbye. I just wonder how much continued support MB will ultimately offer to legacy MBUX systems in our vehicles.
I won't be kissing buttons goodbye. Ever. If it comes down to it, I'll be kissing MB goodbye. I'll drive a mainstream product if it means getting real buttons. Capacitive controls are as bad as touchscreens, so I likely wouldn't even buy the facelifted GLE.
chassis (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes has indicated that they would move toward SoC technology, more critical now because of the chip shortage of older but less expensive chips. I agree with everyone’s concerns. Mercedes history with tech issues doesn’t bode well for a future makeover of the entire system.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Good history of Ford Sync and how it all went wrong trying to do too much with cheap chips and the wrong vendor. I don't really want streaming services in my car, and most of my drive doesn't even have cellular coverage, never mind data.

Jzegel (08-14-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Seven years is required by the Feds.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Too bad Radio Shack is out of business.
Ron.s (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,312 Likes on 2,054 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Mercedes has made a commitment to its own tech platform which is a good thing. That includes separating the OS business and giving it its own leadership to run it. Otherwise there is little differentiation between cars that run some flavor of Google or Apple powered platforms moving forward.

Some of their software for their EV’s is quite good as well. Chances are they will be successful with that model, including subscriptions.
The buyer demographic is also changing. If somebody is hoping for a lot of buttons they will definitely have to find another brand.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-10-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Mercedes has indicated that they would move toward SoC technology, more critical now because of the chip shortage of older but less expensive chips. I agree with everyone’s concerns. Mercedes history with tech issues doesn’t bode well for a future makeover of the entire system.
I think the Mercedes roll out of the Nvidia MBUX system was impressive.
I believe it was their first foray into SOC tech, and the migration has begun, with design assistance from Nvidia.

I think their tech applications are quite good IF you overlook Mercedes Me, which continues to be a disaster IMO. Luckily, Mercedes Me doesn't affect car operation.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Good history of Ford Sync and how it all went wrong trying to do too much with cheap chips and the wrong vendor. I don't really want streaming services in my car, and most of my drive doesn't even have cellular coverage, never mind data.

Ford Sync
This has always been a crap product using crappy software. What is the relevance here?
Also, the majority of data is streamed these days.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
.......The buyer demographic is also changing. If somebody is hoping for a lot of buttons they will definitely have to find another brand.
We have examples of that from the past.
In the '80s, the buyer demographic demanded OEM cup holders, and they prevailed.
Now, I hope that demographic demands a mechanical volume control. There seems to be a growing consensus, and I hope it prevails this time!

I know, soon we'll be driving virtual cars and arriving at NFT locations, but maybe the volume control will be our connection with reality.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen;8614325[b
]I think the Mercedes roll out of the Nvidia MBUX system was impressive[/b].
I believe it was their first foray into SOC tech, and the migration has begun, with design assistance from Nvidia.
I think their tech applications are quite good IF you overlook Mercedes Me, which continues to be a disaster IMO. Luckily, Mercedes Me doesn't affect car operation.
I know they were working on the SoC with Nvidia a year+ ago but wasn’t aware that any systems have rolled out. The presser I read talked about 2024 models as I recall. I thought that some E Performance models and EV’s would be first.
My 2021 GLE with MBUX doesn’t have SoC technology.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
I actually like a lot of screens, but I say that with caveats in that I also like having physical buttons for commonly used functions (like climate control). I think the mix MB has now is very good. I could live with a ton of massive screens provided they find a way to give me the same buttons within easy reach. For example, I like the hyper screen, but it would be way better if they can add in a row of buttons for climate control.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:03 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
bmw 535i xdrive
And look for everything to be subscription based including heated and ventilated seats. BMW is going in the same direction. They will charge if you buy!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This has always been a crap product using crappy software. What is the relevance here?
Also, the majority of data is streamed these days.
The relevance is that MB is going with Unity just as they laid off a large portion of their engineering and development staff to apparently re-focus on online advertising, just like Ford's Sync and MyTouch were from Microsoft, who was also proven to be the wrong vendor for the product. So the relevance is pretty much what I wrote, being "Good history of Ford Sync and how it all went wrong trying to do too much with cheap chips and the wrong vendor."

Old 08-11-2022, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know they were working on the SoC with Nvidia a year+ ago but wasn’t aware that any systems have rolled out. The presser I read talked about 2024 models as I recall. I thought that some E Performance models and EV’s would be first.
The intro of MBUX said it was developed by Nvidia - but I don't know the official relationship.
And I thought SoC was one of the advances. One advantage was the new generation of chips which are less commoditized.
How can any of this be verified?
Old 08-11-2022, 11:12 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
IMO these OS have gotten so complex/detailed that they need a VC up to that level. VC now is not to the level that it would recognize and get you to the point or setting you want, making a lot of things they implemented/included sound wonderful on paper impractical/ useless. I find BMW assignable buttons very valuable. But it looks like those are going away too.
Just curious how would it be different with SoC technology?
Old 08-11-2022, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
The intro of MBUX said it was developed by Nvidia - but I don't know the official relationship.
And I thought SoC was one of the advances. One advantage was the new generation of chips which are less commoditized.
How can any of this be verified?
The graphics cards are NVDA. The rest is pieces from different vendors. There was info in 2019 listing several companies with initial development..might have come through my stockholders reports.
During my camera issues Mercedes had my Tech update all of my MBUX systems with the explanation that something else could be causing the issue. Same thing when my MBUX controller failed in my 2020, only part of MBUX quit working. If there was SoC there wouldn't be separate control units. When it failed most MBUX systems were still working. Ask your Dealer Tech for verification. There are control units under the dash, under the passenger floorboards and rear passenger as I recall. Remember the Coke spill in the rear seat? Misrouted AC vent lines in the front recall?
Old 08-11-2022, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb2be
IMO these OS have gotten so complex/detailed that they need a VC up to that level. VC now is not to the level that it would recognize and get you to the point or setting you want, making a lot of things they implemented/included sound wonderful on paper impractical/ useless. I find BMW assignable buttons very valuable. But it looks like those are going away too.

I think both you and Ron are talking about the CAN-bus system. MBUX doesn't control other systems.
It's possible that the next OS might, but it's not here now.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
The relevance is that MB is going with Unity just as they laid off a large portion of their engineering and development staff to apparently re-focus on online advertising, just like Ford's Sync and MyTouch were from Microsoft, who was also proven to be the wrong vendor for the product. So the relevance is pretty much what I wrote, being "Good history of Ford Sync and how it all went wrong trying to do too much with cheap chips and the wrong vendor."

I see that the company laid off 4% of staff and maybe acquired for almost $18B. Whatever I read didn't seem to be an issue and the product itself appears to be like a good match. Definitely a better match than Microsoft for anything mobile or car. You could definitely be right but suppose we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-11-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb2be
Here’s definition:A system on a chip, also known as an SoC, is essentially an integrated circuit or an IC that takes a single platform and integrates an entire electronic or computer system onto it. It is, exactly as its name suggests, an entire system on a single chip. The components that an SoC generally looks to incorporate within itself include a central processing unit, input and output ports, internal memory, as well as analog input and output blocks among other things. Depending on the kind of system that has been reduced to the size of a chip, it can perform a variety of functions including signal processing, wireless communication, artificial intelligence and more.
Where a system on a chip used to be nothing more than a buzzword just a couple of decades ago, it has now become an integral part of the world of technology and electronics in modern times. The application of SoCs in the practical world are practically limitless and priceless. They are used in most, if not all, portable tech such as smartphones, cameras, tablets, and other wireless technologies. Your smartphone is a good example of how a system on chip works. When you use your cell phone, you do not only use it to make and receive calls- you also use it to browse the internet, view videos, listen to audio, take photos, play games, text message, and whatnot. None of this would be possible without having multiple components such as a graphics card, internet support, wireless connections, GPS, and many other elements. An SoC allows you to take all of these components, put them on a single chip, shrink it down to a size that can fit in the palm of your hand, and carry it around as a living and breathing system in your phone.

Originally Posted by mikapen
I think both you and Ron are talking about the CAN-bus system. MBUX doesn't control other systems.
It's possible that the next OS might, but it's not here now.
You might want to visit with your Dealer Tech to see how they define it. There might be some wiggle room since Mercedes descriptions for the public is mostly marketing blurbs…but I don’t see how you can stretch it to call the graphical interface the MBUX system as defined by Mercedes.
The NVDA graphics cards don’t seem to meet the definition of a SoC and they are only a piece of MBUX and they don’t control the numerous functions included in MBUX. There are separate controllers for numerous related functions that feed into the MBUX system not controlled by it. i.e. Heated massaging seats have a separate controller but are configurable in MBUX not controlled by MBUX. That’s my recollection of the way a Tech explained the ability of a glitch in one component to impact another MBUX function.
In my 3 1/2 years experience, 2 GLE’s, and numerous issues, I can attest to the glitches. Several component controllers feeding incorrect data or malfunctioning mess with others. The system in my 2020 GLE 450 delivered in April was back at the Dealership almost monthly for one more MBUX issue. On my first trip about 60 days from delivery there were a full page (Techs computer screen) of updates described to me for “MBUX components”. When the controller for the Camera and Radar were out of Sync it caused issues with Nav and Distronic.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 855 Likes on 663 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
anyone with dead Head Unit
I can provide replacement (including upgrade from mid to high) for 1000-1500$

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goodby MBUX