GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

'Paranoid' reversing sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2022 | 06:48 AM

GLE 450
Angry 'Paranoid' reversing sensor

I now have to reverse so slowly, as more often than not, the brake sensor thinks something is there and jams on the brakes, almost scaring us to death! Does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by Lapchien; 09-12-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2022 | 09:38 AM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
I've had it happen twice recently, it never happened before in the past two years. Not sure what changed, I've had no software updates (that I know of).
Old 09-12-2022 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Lapchien
I now have to reverse so slowly, as more often than not, the brake sensor thinks somehting is there and jams on the brakes, almost scring us to death! Dpes anyone else have this issue?
My experience is that the rear cross traffic alert system can definitely hit the brakes hard. The faster the approaching object from the left or right rear, the harder it hits the brakes. It can see approaching traffic from at least a hundred feet away in my experience.
It shouldn't brake at all for a fixed object.
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:40 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
It's happened to me with the rear cross traffic thing and it brakes HARD. You may have to change the settings so it does not "warn early".
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Is something actually approaching when this happens or is it complete phantom braking? I've had this happen with other brands, specifically Audi. It slammed on the brakes while I was parallel parking and another car passed by on the street. There was no reason to really do that, because there was no chance of actually colliding. It was a total overreaction of the system and happens to many owners. I have not run into this issue with the MB system, neither with my C63, nor with any of the SUV loaners that I had to live with. I occasionally get the acoustic warning along with the red triangle over the camera view when there's a car approaching to let me know, but never has it slammed on the brakes unless it was justified. It has happened a couple of times when I first owned the car and was playing with the active parking assist. It would freak out about vegetation that was too close to the parking spot. If it happens for no reason in your car then I'd say something is malfunctioning. It uses the radars from the side assist and may also use the parking sensors, so make sure the rear of your car is clean. The rear generally doesn't get splattered with dead insects, but dirt and debris can affect the radar sensors and I don't assume you have one of those bumper protectors hanging from the rear of your car. But if there are bushes or small trees nearby moving in the wind, it could potentially pick those up and mistake it for something crossing into your path.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-12-2022 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:26 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by superswiss
Is something actually approaching when this happens or is it complete phantom braking? I've had this happen with other brands, specifically Audi. It slammed on the brakes while I was parallel parking and another car passed by on the street. There was no reason to really do that, because there was no chance of actually colliding. It was a total overreaction of the system and happens to many owners.
I've had it happen once in my GLE, and it was during a parallel parking situation as well. Reversing into a lined spot the car slammed to a complete stop without warning. There was no vehicle to my immediate rear, I was not close to the low curb, and there were no pedestrians in the vicinity. The braking was so hard I actually thought I hit something. When I got out to check I was surprised to find nothing but a painted line separating parking spaces. Needless to say I moved very slowly to complete the parking. I don't use parking assist, but I wonder what would have happened if the car was doing the parking for me.
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:41 PM

2020 GLE350
It happened to us last month with our MY 2020.

I was backing into a corner parking space at Lowes and it scared the heck out of us. I was almost positive I hit something. There was NOT any moving object nor vehicle around at the time.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (09-12-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 07:18 AM

2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Happened to me yesterday. Backing up to a parking spot I had passed when another car starts approaching from behind me. It was a very hard stop, I guess it really works.
Old 01-02-2023 | 10:35 PM

2021 GLE 63
I've had this happen in my 21 GLE 450 and more recently my 21 GLE 63. I lowered the sensitivity and so far its been better, but I still get very apprehensive when backing up quickly.
Old 01-08-2023 | 09:41 AM

None
i hate this as well and know that i absolutely look stupid if someone is watching me park when the vehicle decides to slam on the brakes. i find this happens sometime when there's actually moving vehicles or pedestrians from at least 75 feet away when you're on reverse park... but also some times happens when there's nothing there and it just decides to slam on for no reason. i'll say for my experience it's been 75/25, but always a shock to me and i feel terrible in the car when it jolts and makes me jump up my seat. glad to hear i'm not the only one here!