GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE Owners - What do you wish you'd known earlier? I just got one.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 03:09 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Originally Posted by CarLover73
Hi all,
Just 3 weeks into my W167 GLE 450 (was a dealer car and not 'owned' by anyone, and I bought it last month)
- I wish I'd known that the seat cooling will be kinda weak. My Mazda6 cools the seats much faster and is way more effective
- Air re-circulate button - no matter what I do (press and hold for 5 sec at start, or press after I start the AC etc.,), always switches back to taking the air from outside. Never faced this in my BMW X3(so it is not a 'German car' thingie I guess). Reading the forums, it seems as if this is by design. Still, don't like it.

Cheers,
Ravi.
Oh yeah the re-cir button too. Wonderful design. I keep telling my wife it's "designed" that way but she doesn't believe me. BMW would let you control this regardless Auto Mode on or off. Lexus would only let you control if Auto Mode is off. I really like that of BMW. As for the seats, yeah, it's ventilated but some cars work much better. All my Lexus vehicles work fast. Many Americans do work better too. For me, if I drive hers, I would just use Remote Starter to cool it down.
The following users liked this post:
CarLover73 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 04:32 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
My rear shocks were also replaced around 25k. They were not bottoming out, but were definitely making odd sounds.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
Absolutely agree on Burmester 3D system. Simply love the clarity, sound stage and how it sort of 'fills' the space all-round with music, without being loud. I didn't have the Acoustic comfort package on my W167, but still the car in itself is super quiet, so the sound experience is amazing. However, I know many would consider (me too) that this is probably not worth the 5x premium on the base Burmester system.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:01 PM

SUV
Originally Posted by Aggie57
I’d agree with this. Our 350 has bottomed out a couple of times just through general roads conditions; the springs are too soft for the weight of the vehicle and the shocks seem a little undervalved in both compression and rebound. Or perhaps there’s just not enough travel, either way I guess thats the compromise MB made to give a smooth ride.
Man it makes perfect sense now. I drive hers and mine the same way but I got "that look" twice when I went over a dip at a light. It wasn't that deep and I wasn't even fast but dang it felt so loose when it bounced up and down.

Originally Posted by TonyF61
Correct! No big deal; I just have to do it every time I brake for a traffic light. On a long commute, it can, at times, become annoying because I had the luxury of only having to press it once in my BMW and it automatically "Held" every time I braked during my commute. Had that not existed in the BMW, then, not knowing better, I would have been thrilled with it on MB.
I wasn't complaining, just stating my opinion that I prefer the BMW function.
I do turn on this (BMW) Auto Hold when in line at Costco gas or drive through. I too prefer it this way. Here is the question... what really happen when you press on gas during Auto Hold? Will this put more wear on the brake?
Old 11-07-2022, 08:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2022 GLE 450/2020 Gen 2 Raptor/few others
Originally Posted by CarLover73
Hi all,
- Air re-circulate button - no matter what I do (press and hold for 5 sec at start, or press after I start the AC etc.,), always switches back to taking the air from outside. Never faced this in my BMW X3(so it is not a 'German car' thingie I guess). Reading the forums, it seems as if this is by design. Still, don't like it.

Cheers,
Ravi.
This... I'd like to find the people who thought everyone is to STUPID to push a button when the wind shield starts to fog up, beat them, lock them in a wooden shed, and set it on fire!

...ok, a bit much? How about I get to control how my car HVAC operates and if others are too dumb to operate theirs we let Darwin sort it out. I mean for christ sake, my 2020 FORD Raptor allows me put re-circulation on and it stays until I change it. Today, tomorrow, forever.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:37 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Zeusmotorworks
This... I'd like to find the people who thought everyone is to STUPID to push a button when the wind shield starts to fog up, beat them, lock them in a wooden shed, and set it on fire!

...ok, a bit much? How about I get to control how my car HVAC operates and if others are too dumb to operate theirs we let Darwin sort it out. I mean for christ sake, my 2020 FORD Raptor allows me put re-circulation on and it stays until I change it. Today, tomorrow, forever.
Aw man I'm not looking forward to that... Being in NYC, most of the time the air outside smells like ****/weed/etc especially in the summer. I always keep recirculate on unless, like you said, my windows fog up.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:15 AM

Received 376 Likes on 261 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by mb2be
Oh yeah the re-cir button too. Wonderful design. I keep telling my wife it's "designed" that way but she doesn't believe me. BMW would let you control this regardless Auto Mode on or off. Lexus would only let you control if Auto Mode is off. I really like that of BMW. As for the seats, yeah, it's ventilated but some cars work much better. All my Lexus vehicles work fast. Many Americans do work better too. For me, if I drive hers, I would just use Remote Starter to cool it down.
The recirc “all the time” feature used to be on Mercedes. It’s my belief that it was removed so that the tight ventilation systems that can mold when turned off in a non venting position, do not mold. For those of us that have had tight sealing German cars, the recommendation was always to turn recirc off after ac was run so that the internal condensation can dry. When in recirc mode, no fresh air can dry the components, hence moldy smelling air. The bmw I had was the stinkiest. Now I just deal with pressing recirc each time as that my preference. Other cars may deal with this mold issue differently or are inherently not sealed.

so in order to have better noise reduction and cooling means we have to press a button, or deal with mold in the ac. Choices.

Last edited by Baltistyle; 11-08-2022 at 06:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baltistyle:
mikapen (11-08-2022), Neurobit (11-13-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 06:23 AM

The problem is having to CONSTANTLY press the button every so many miles/time duration whatever. At this point I'd even settle for having to push it ONCE when you start the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeusmotorworks:
TexAg91 (11-13-2022), TonyF61 (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 07:03 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
The problem is having to CONSTANTLY press the button every so many miles/time duration whatever. At this point I'd even settle for having to push it ONCE when you start the car.
Sounds familiar!!
Old 11-08-2022, 08:36 AM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
I wish I had known about the overly aggressive engine-braking/harsh downshifts.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:01 AM

SUV
That may not work because it will turn off on its own and will remind you it did so when a bad smell comes in. Lol.

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
The recirc “all the time” feature used to be on Mercedes. It’s my belief that it was removed so that the tight ventilation systems that can mold when turned off in a non venting position, do not mold. For those of us that have had tight sealing German cars, the recommendation was always to turn recirc off after ac was run so that the internal condensation can dry. When in recirc mode, no fresh air can dry the components, hence moldy smelling air. The bmw I had was the stinkiest. Now I just deal with pressing recirc each time as that my preference. Other cars may deal with this mold issue differently or are inherently not sealed.
so in order to have better noise reduction and cooling means we have to press a button, or deal with mold in the ac. Choices.
At some point in the past, my G05 had bad smell. I took it to the dealership and this was exactly what they told me. They claimed it was due to where I live and I needed to turn it off. If I want to leave it on, I need to run "Pre Conditioning" at the end of my trip more often to clear it. I read on BMW forums and it seems like those who had bad smells, they ran pre conditioning sometimes at high temp and it fixed it. Maybe due to lack of pre conditioning, MB decided to just take control over this issue?
Old 11-09-2022, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
"Best practice" is to turn Recirc ON only when it's needed. And never leave it on continuously, because of mold and bacteria growth.

You'll also see better defrost action on all windows on Fresh.
MB Poppa (12-08-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:15 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by mikapen
"Best practice" is to turn Recirc ON only when it's needed. And never leave it on continuously, because of mold and bacteria growth.

Doesn’t the AC rest button blow air over the evaporator for a few minutes after the car shut off to help dry it out and thereby prevent mold?

Last edited by TexAg91; 11-10-2022 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexAg91:
mikapen (11-10-2022), Zeusmotorworks (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:33 PM

Not an option here... even if I wanted to. Which I don't. If it's not sucking fumes, it's the incredible pollen which is a few times a year. I know how to keep the windows clear. Why has this "mold and bacteria" that causes "smell" not been an issue in my other vehicles of various makes to include the current Ford? Roughly 4 decades of driving and I've not "needed" to be forced to let in outside air in the extremely rare occasions I've needed to. Texas is hot, sometimes even when its "cold", you know like extremes down into the 30s (that part a joke but true).

Cliff notes... I'm just an old guy with some common sense that doesn't appreciate having to suffer "features" designed to assist or take into account for stupid people. Or to make up for a bad/mediocre design (again referencing several other vehicles for comparison).
PandaSPUR (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 04:35 PM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Sounds like your rear shocks may be bad. I heard a rattle from the rear wheel wells in my GLE that progressively got worse over time. Mine would also bottom out on occasion on the interstate at speed but more often the rear would feel a little squirrelly on larger
bumps at speed. Turns out I had bad rear shocks that are getting replaced now under warranty. I think this may be a supplier issue from Mercedes so you may want to have your rear shocks checked.

Have you heard any rattles on occasion from the rear wheel wells? If Yes it’s likely the shocks.
Thanks @TexAg91 . I heard a few rattles from rear passenger shock, and it just felt stiffer then the others. Thought I was just overreacting. Car is in for "B" service, and I mentioned it, thanks to you. Just received a text that they are replacing rear shocks. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but I will post it when I get the car back.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyF61:
mikapen (11-10-2022), TexAg91 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Doesn’t the AC rest button blow air over the evaporator for a few minutes after the car shut off to help dry it out and thereby prevent mold?
Yes it does.

In function, the Recirc button is equivalent to the old "Maximum Air Conditioning" setting. Which just went to Recirc. Back then, the owner's manuals cautioned about overuse of Max Air.

Now we have all these nannies with their own algorithm, differing manufacturer to manufacturer.

It is what it is. My preference would be for it to go back to fresh air on its own, because otherwise I'd forget.

What would be best, would be the system sniffing for bad air and acting appropriately. 🙂

Does the Air Balance Package do that?
Old 11-13-2022, 02:30 PM

As a constant (100% of the time) user of recirc, I have had the moldy smell start in two Audis, then a bmw, a dodge, a Toyota, a Lexus and two Mercedes. Each one has a different way of dealing with the problem, and not every one of them offered a permanent recirc feature. There are rest features, permanent recirc, temp recirc, Auto temp, etc. I like recirc because independent of humidity/fogging the conditioning works faster. I am a non smoking Md driver with an immaculately clean interior and no food or other storage of goods inside. Parking angle and ac drains can also play into the equation. I live on a slanted driveway and due to that the ac condensers do not drain fully after driving so its a must they get some dry time during driving. Sealed cars are a newer thing (thank Lexus quality imho) so it doesn't really matter how long anyone has been driving, but how long you've been driving vehicles with sealed hvac systems.

Additionally for the gentlemen that said the fans for ventilated seats blow air through them, that is incorrect. The seats pull conditioned air through them and away from the body. Mercedes is not tricking anyone with the language, ventilated seated have been offered by them for 20 years. Cooled seats are a newer invention likely licensed which is why all car manufacturers do not offer this. Understanding the operation helps understand how to best use them.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Baltistyle I'm not sure I agree that eliminating fresh air is a good thing, but on every manufacturer I've owned or been close to, "Max Defrost" automatically turns off Recirc. The reason is to remove humidity, the cause of the condensation.

I believe that's what happens when you push the actual Front Defrost Button.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-13-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Subaru BRZ
@Baltistyle I'm not sure I agree that eliminating fresh air is a good thing, but on every manufacturer I've owned or been close to, "Max Defrost" automatically turns off Recirc. The reason is to remove humidity, the cause of the condensation.

That makes sense for driving in the winter, when the cold air outside is dryer than the warm air inside your vehicle.

In summer, its the opposite situation and turning off recirculation does make air conditioning less effective.

I've had some instances where my vents smelled moldy, usually during the transition from winter to spring/summer. Leaving recirc off during the winter avoids that issue, or I could just run the car on full heat + fresh air for a few minutes and it basically clears everything out.
mikapen (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 05:01 PM

I agree that fresh air is good. Though heat and air fill the cabin most efficiently in recirc. In Md in the summer the fresh air mode can not cool the car to the temp setting (any car not just my merc) efficiently. I usually have a window cracked when driving for any period of time. And yes, that’s how air powered defrost works, always defaults to fresh air to remove condensation relative to inside air temp. Auto features get it done pretty well these days.
mikapen (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Baltistyle
I agree that fresh air is good. Though heat and air fill the cabin most efficiently in recirc. In Md in the summer the fresh air mode can not cool the car to the temp setting (any car not just my merc) efficiently. I usually have a window cracked when driving for any period of time. And yes, that’s how air powered defrost works, always defaults to fresh air to remove condensation relative to inside air temp. Auto features get it done pretty well these days.
Agree with you and @PandaSPUR .
Old 11-17-2022, 06:09 PM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by TonyF61
Thanks @TexAg91 . I heard a few rattles from rear passenger shock, and it just felt stiffer then the others. Thought I was just overreacting. Car is in for "B" service, and I mentioned it, thanks to you. Just received a text that they are replacing rear shocks. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but I will post it when I get the car back.
Ok, finally picked up vehicle today. Definitely rides better and quieter. As promised, snippet from shop report....

Old 11-17-2022, 06:18 PM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I wish I had known about the overly aggressive engine-braking/harsh downshifts.
Just had "B" service performed. Mentioned the hard downshifts to SA. MB claims they didn't find anything and "Performed Adtaptions of trans module"; whatever that is. Not sure if they reset the system that learns my driving habits. Perhaps @mikapen or some of the other knowledgeable members here can explain - or maybe just a type-o.

I must say, after only a few miles, it does seem better; however, it now shifts hard going from 3rd to 4th. I'll give it a few days/miles to see if anything changes.

Last edited by TonyF61; 11-17-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
I wish I knew:
- The audio sound settings (equalizer, Balance/fader, seat focus for audio etc.,) don't work unless something is playing!

I have the habit of setting the audio to my liking and then switching on the radio/apple music etc., So, when this happened, I thought something went wrong with the touchscreen; same story with touchpad, then the steering control etc., made me scratch my head and wonder! Finally when my son started playing something, I was able to change the audio settings. I am not sure if this was such a good idea on Merc's part, but surely they have their reasons [like someone may set the bass too high, or volume too high and someone else who turns on the audio breaks an ear drum or two :-)]
Old 11-22-2022, 01:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 GLE63S
1) I went a year without knowing my sport steering wheel (2021, Canada spec) had a heat setting -- oops.
2) The sail mode (complete engine shutoff) is not available in Comfort drive mode but is used in Individual by default.
3) Setting the fader to -3 makes my mid-Burmester stereo sound way better.
4) The front of the trackpad has an area you can swipe left or right to change music or radio stations.
5) The air suspension cannot, to my knowledge, be lowered without using SPORT or higher drive mode. Odd. EDIT: I can’t get the suspension to lower without going into a sport setting on the suspension and/or drive mode.
6) A rattle in your glovebox area is likely the air freshener needing to be reseated.
7) The 48v battery issue is real but mine has been fine5 months after failure.
8) The windshield with the noise reduction package is expensive. Ask me how I know.
9) Nav has topo imaging once you zoom out beyond 2 km zoom (1.2 mi). (ie. satellite images)
10) Camera module (lane centering, auto high beam) is prone to failure.
11) Lots of folks dislike the Marc Me app, but coming from Porsche, I think it's fantastic. Remote start and the ability to share destinations from your iOS mapping app of choice directly to your Merc NAV is great.

Last edited by Charcharius; 11-23-2022 at 08:46 AM.
EXTRAOLD (11-22-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE Owners - What do you wish you'd known earlier? I just got one.