GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2022 | 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by haibieb
Just curious: how many of us will lease or buy another Mercedes Benz product after reading these publications and or car magazines? Let's be honest.
IMO a bad CU report is a "buy" recommendation for an actual consumer, and a "top" rating is a Kiss of Death.

As is normally the case, there is something materially wrong with their top pick.
In this case, Hyundai recalled almost twice the number of cars they sold. Engine failures and fires. It's an improvement for Hyundai, since it's been higher than that for several years now.

JD Powers isn't a reliability score, it's a "Was the car what you expected / hoped" survey.

Neither influence my buying decisions.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-17-2022 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
haibieb (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022 | 10:39 AM

SUV
Just curious: how many of us will lease or buy another Mercedes Benz product after reading these publications and or car magazines? Let's be honest.
Many, me included, buy/lease cars and change before its warranty. So these reports are not really convincing one way or the other. I read similar reports and members' reports here and knew potential problem I may face. But we went with it. And to answer your question, I most likely will again.
or the folks that plan to keep cars for a long time, yes, these reports do have a meaning and will swing them one way or the other. I have not known anyone that buys a German car and plans to keep it long time past warranty let alone driving it to 100K. Lol. But there are plenty for Lexus.
haibieb (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I just noticed the highlighted phrase above.

Grouping CU or Powers with Car Magazines is a horrible disrespect for Car Magazines.

I peruse lots of Car Magazines and they influence me. Actually did some minor work for Automobile Mag when David E. Davis was publisher.

CU is no Automobile Mag. I don't trust its toaster reviews these days, either.
SmokinJoe (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022 | 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Frenetic
So, to MB’s dismay, the only ”sufficient” survey respondents for MB were from E and GLE owners and they obviously scored it very low.
It surprises me the E Class scores so low, seeing that its been out as long as it has.
Old 11-17-2022 | 12:55 PM

Subaru BRZ
It would be nice to get more details on these ratings, or at least know the sample size they used. Seems like all of that requires you to have a subscription to CR to see... so no thanks.
tootallll (11-27-2022)
Old 11-17-2022 | 01:19 PM

2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Not enough data to evaluate Chrysler or Dodge?
Old 11-17-2022 | 01:22 PM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
It would be nice to get more details on these ratings, or at least know the sample size they used. Seems like all of that requires you to have a subscription to CR to see... so no thanks.
These ratings are designed more to sell subscriptions than provide any meaningful insight. Your best bet is to either follow or participate in enthusiast groups like this one with the caveat that you'll have to weed out the haters and extreme fanboys, leaving the middle of the road owners opinions as valid information. And, keeping in mind a small percentage of folks with a gripe are the ones doing the majority of posts. The silent majority happily motoring along usually have less to say.
The following 5 users liked this post by Lucky 777:
AMGstar305 (11-26-2022), chassis (11-17-2022), mikapen (11-17-2022), PandaSPUR (11-17-2022), TonyF61 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-17-2022 | 01:31 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
These ratings are designed more to sell subscriptions than provide any meaningful insight. Your best bet is to either follow or participate in enthusiast groups like this one with the caveat that you'll have to weed out the haters and extreme fanboys, leaving the middle of the road owners opinions as valid information. And, keeping in mind a small percentage of folks with a gripe are the ones doing the majority of posts. The silent majority happily motoring along usually have less to say.
Yep yep, I totally agree. Its the same in my other hobbies (watches, photography, coffee, etc).
chassis (11-17-2022)
Old 11-18-2022 | 04:14 PM

2020 GLE 350 4matic
I can attest to that rating as I have a 2020 GLE 350 bought new and and it is the worst mistake I eve made. Has 3,600 miles on it as of now and had a lot of issues with it. The main issue is it will go into limp mode without warning (all of a sudden and have to drive 15 MPH or have it towed numerous times. The safety systems BSW shut off by themselves. Mercedes service said it was bad gas, but I have an F150, Acura RDX and Subaru OB 3.6 touring that use the same brand of gas with no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by poeycat:
chassis (11-18-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022 | 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by poeycat
I can attest to that rating as I have a 2020 GLE 350 bought new and and it is the worst mistake I eve made. Has 3,600 miles on it as of now and had a lot of issues with it. The main issue is it will go into limp mode without warning (all of a sudden and have to drive 15 MPH or have it towed numerous times. The safety systems BSW shut off by themselves. Mercedes service said it was bad gas, but I have an F150, Acura RDX and Subaru OB 3.6 touring that use the same brand of gas with no issues.
Well, you might want to try a different gas station. See this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ctane-gas.html

All the other cars you mentioned only require regular gas instead of premium so it's not a meaningful comparison...
hutch300 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-18-2022 | 05:27 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by poeycat
I didn't think bad gas would shut off the driver assist and safety features, but I guess if the car is going into limp mode in general it makes sense.

Brand of gas isnt what matters, what octane are you using?
Old 11-18-2022 | 06:50 PM

2021 GLE 450
My wife has a Honda Pilot. It’s been a good car but Consumers Reports just don’t like Honda and have never rated them favourably compared to a Toyota.
Same might be true with Mercedes. CR don’t like the electronics in cars and this drags down the ratings.

Toban
Old 11-18-2022 | 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Originally Posted by SW20S
It surprises me the E Class scores so low, seeing that it’s been out as long as it has.
I can only surmise that the entire E/GLE line has issues and they are design and engineering related since that’s the only thing they share since they are assembled at different plants. I say that under the assumption that they share some inherent engineering designs (I have no idea if that is true).

I also think some of this has to do with the type of buyer for these models. **Stereotype warning** They’re well off but not really rich like an S class buyer to not overly care if things break or younger C class buyer who could care less about Consumer Reports.
Old 11-19-2022 | 01:43 AM

Subaru BRZ
I can only surmise that the entire E/GLE line has issues and they are design and engineering related since that’s the only thing they share since they are assembled at different plants. I say that under the assumption that they share some inherent engineering designs (I have no idea if that is true).

I also think some of this has to do with the type of buyer for these models. **Stereotype warning** They’re well off but not really rich like an S class buyer to not overly care if things break or younger C class buyer who could care less about Consumer Reports.
The CR data for this ranking ranges from MY 2000 to 2022. Makes it pretty hard to even make a guess at what the problem is.
If it was a systemic problem on the E and GLE lines, across 22 years of models, then nearly all MB vehicles must have some serious issues since they all share so many different parts/tech.

Another possibility is they only managed to get a bare minimum number of survey respondents who all happened to have cars from the early 2000s and are clearly experiencing more problems by now.

I have no idea how statistically relevant these rankings from CR are, i.e. whether or not they adjust for variables like the age of a respondent's car, whether they were the first owner, etc etc. Maybe all of this is better detailed behind the paywall... but I'm not going to bother paying.
Old 11-19-2022 | 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Well, it also states that the issues included in the rankings only cover the previous 12 months. It’s not hard to imagine that most of those issues are from the newer models, as anyone still driving an early 2000’s model likely has everything fleshed out.

And, while I agree that enthusiast forums tend to amplify issues, there’s likely some significance to the reported issues on a whole. I agree that most happy drivers aren’t here reporting as such. But conversely, not everyone with issues complain about them here, either. Take your typical Soccer mom who has a 48-volt failure. I doubt she’s here writing about it, either. The fact of the matter is that over and underreporting goes both ways and I would estimate the average buyer of the GLE aren’t necessarily the type that might be an “enthusiast.”
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-19-2022), E55Greasemonkey (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
An article from the Drive stated this was the biggest issue:
Originally Posted by The Drive
The publication says that this is due to extensive "problems with the in-car electronics such as screen freezing or going blank." It also notes that sometimes these issues get so bad that physical hardware must be replaced to fix it.

I think it would be better if the publications would divide reliability between mechanical and electronics.
Old 11-19-2022 | 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by js_cls
An article from the Drive stated this was the biggest issue:

I think it would be better if the publications would divide reliability between mechanical and electronics.
Agree 100%…also electronics and similar issues come from third party suppliers in most cases. The Pandemic/shutdowns have left everyone scrambling for supplies so there’s not much chance that they can change suppliers.
Let’s not forget the 25-30,000 GLE’s that Mercedes built in mid 2019 (MY2020) and stored waiting for completion as components became available. They had them packed so tight that many couldn’t be put together even as parts became available. Anything done off the Assembly line loses some quality control. Ford is currently doing much the same with trucks.

Most of us can live with minor issues that are corrected under warranty. The power train and especially the engines seem to be solid.
Old 11-19-2022 | 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Mercedes isn’t the only one dealing with electronics. It shouldn’t be a pass unless Mercedes is doing something other manufactures aren’t doing. What electronics is MB doing that others aren’t and that should give MB a pass on their poor score?
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
chassis (11-19-2022), places (11-23-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Mercedes isn’t the only one dealing with electronics. It shouldn’t be a pass unless Mercedes is doing something other manufactures aren’t doing. What electronics is MB doing that others aren’t and that should give MB a pass on their poor score?
@Frenetic you are spot on again. It shouldn't be a pass. MB is using garden-variety everything in their products. Base- and mid-model MBs have nothing that other car companies don't also offer.

It is humorous to see excuses made for MB, that the vehicles are complex and many third party suppliers are involved - these and more are table stakes for the auto industry. MB fails time and again with their products, and does not deliver customer care from corporate or their clown ring referred to as dealers. Adding salt to the many grievous wounds is the price level at which MB participates, which should be connected with superior product and customer care, but isn't. MB quality and dealer experience is on par with Kia and Hyundai, and is several steps below Honda, Toyota, Ford and VW.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
E55Greasemonkey (11-19-2022), places (11-23-2022)
Old 11-20-2022 | 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by chassis
@Frenetic you are spot on again. It shouldn't be a pass. MB is using garden-variety everything in their products. Base- and mid-model MBs have nothing that other car companies don't also offer.

It is humorous to see excuses made for MB, that the vehicles are complex and many third party suppliers are involved - these and more are table stakes for the auto industry. MB fails time and again with their products, and does not deliver customer care from corporate or their clown ring referred to as dealers. Adding salt to the many grievous wounds is the price level at which MB participates, which should be connected with superior product and customer care, but isn't. MB quality and dealer experience is on par with Kia and Hyundai, and is several steps below Honda, Toyota, Ford and VW.
I guess we must be living in an alternate universe. Below Fords and VW’s?

The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
chassis (11-20-2022), PandaSPUR (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022 | 01:48 PM

Subaru BRZ
Well, it also states that the issues included in the rankings only cover the previous 12 months. It’s not hard to imagine that most of those issues are from the newer models, as anyone still driving an early 2000’s model likely has everything fleshed out.

And, while I agree that enthusiast forums tend to amplify issues, there’s likely some significance to the reported issues on a whole. I agree that most happy drivers aren’t here reporting as such. But conversely, not everyone with issues complain about them here, either. Take your typical Soccer mom who has a 48-volt failure. I doubt she’s here writing about it, either. The fact of the matter is that over and underreporting goes both ways and I would estimate the average buyer of the GLE aren’t necessarily the type that might be an “enthusiast.”
I'd like it more if they only covered issues encountered by survey respondents in the first 12 months of ownership...
I wonder how many issues a MB from 2000 could have from Nov 2021 to Nov 2022 lol

The GLE clearly has known issues, particularly with the 48V system, but it doesn't seem as wide spread as this specific forum makes it look. I'm hoping that once I get my GLE 63, all of the defect-related issues (if any) will crop up in the first year, I'll get it sort it under warranty, and then be a happy camper for the rest of my time with that car.
Old 11-20-2022 | 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I guess we must be living in an alternate universe. Below Fords and VW’s?
Quite possibly, the dealers we each visit may be in different universes.

MB dealer: inattentive, indifferent and unavailable salesmen/women. No loaners, coffee or granola bars (whoops we forgot to buy more!), which in former times were held up as distinguishing features of a MB dealer "experience".

Ford/Honda/VW/Porsche/BMW dealer: attentive, warm, friendly and available Sales Professionals. The VW dealer had fresh coffee, granola bars and bottled water there for the enjoyment of its customers. Lowly VW!

There is nothing offered by MB dealers that is isn't offered with better quality or in greater quantity than other vehicle brands. MB dealers additionally offer the service of lying service department schleppers. I have recounted this story several times.
Old 11-20-2022 | 04:30 PM

2021 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Jzegel
Sigh.... Only a few days from when I picked my GLE out of the shop and it developed a new habit of making enormous creaks when driving over a speed bump. Sad to see MB is last and a little surprised dead last...behind even VW and Jeep. Even more surprising is that BMW got 3rd place.
I have this same issue - a replacement strut has been ordered. The dealer mentioned there was some contact with the sway bar as well. If there is wear, I'll push them to replace the sway bar too.
Old 11-20-2022 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580

MB dealer: inattentive, indifferent and unavailable salesmen/women. No loaners, coffee or granola bars (whoops we forgot to buy more!), which in former times were held up as distinguishing features of a MB dealer "experience".

Ford/Honda/VW/Porsche/BMW dealer: attentive, warm, friendly and available Sales Professionals. The VW dealer had fresh coffee, granola bars and bottled water there for the enjoyment of its customers. Lowly VW!

There is nothing offered by MB dealers that is isn't offered with better quality or in greater quantity than other vehicle brands. MB dealers additionally offer the service of lying service department schleppers. I have recounted this story several times.
You can't use your experience with your dealers in your area as an example of what dealers everywhere are like. None of the MB dealers here are as you describe. The dealer service I have received has been excellent. Expensive, but excellent.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW20S:
AMGstar305 (11-26-2022), chassis (11-20-2022), js_cls (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022 | 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Even the worst MB dealer here is better than what you described and so are the cars. Our SA even tapes the door sill with masking tape and the seats get a full plastic seat cover after prior complaints about sloppy techs messing up the interior. We always have a loaner although during the pandemic I had to schedule out the appointment for that. The BMW service is even better...

But in the end, the car matters more than the service as I can choose different dealers to improve that part. I can state that whatever Ford, Volvo, VW, Infinity, etc. I have driven I consider vastly inferior to the MB's, BMW and Audis.
Admittedly though I also Iook at cars from a safety perspective in addition to design and features. Coming from Germany and seeing and experiencing hi-speed accidents first hand I will only trust a few brands in that respect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)