GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2022 | 11:02 AM

GLE 450 2020
I see how much you know about these cars. You haven't even experienced but rather based off what others say and have no back up to back your posted "reliability issues" on other cars.

Yeah that's more right to say. I've owned quite a few of those that you mentioned. I do recommend them, including the GLE, for variety of reasons. But not GLE for its reliability. My current X5 has been wonderful and trouble free. But I too don't recommend it at a heartbeat because I know once out of warranty, it can be **** too. But not the RX.[/QUOTE]

That is an assumption. On the contrary, I have owned and driven multiple cars from those brands. I browse forums to do further research. Just like I'll be reading a lot on the EQS forum as I plan to get one in the distant future. I read to get different owners perspective but ultimately the decision to buy is majorly on how much I like the car and not on what people say.
Old 11-28-2022 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by SwagMD
I see how much you know about these cars. You haven't even experienced but rather based off what others say and have no back up to back your posted "reliability issues" on other cars.
Not sure who that is directed to, but someone doesn't have to have owned a car to look at data and discuss with people who do and come to an educated opinion about its reliability. In fact, just one person's experience with one car doesn't tell you much about how that model fares on a wider basis.

I have owned 7 Lexus vehicles and currently still own one that is 19 years old with 230,000 miles and have nearly 50,000 posts on ClubLexus, I would consider myself very well versed in Lexus as a brand. There is no question that on average a Lexus RX is more reliable than a Mercedes GLE. The GLE is a much better vehicle in every other way though. Part of why the RX and other Lexus vehicles are so reliable is they are very simple compared to a Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc.

Last edited by SW20S; 11-28-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2022 | 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
[QUOTE=chassis;8674792]
Originally Posted by Ron.s

Dear sir,

Talking behind someone's back is taught by parents of elementary school children as an example of bad behavior. Tsk tsk.

With kind regards,

chassis
People are tired of your constant broken record negative attacks on MB models you don't even own. Looks like you don't like the taste of your own medicine.
Old 11-28-2022 | 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Hold the Presses-CR scores GLE high in reliability

Well, since the Consumer Reports article has generated so many clicks with their headline on GLE reliability, and the graphic depicts them at the bottom of the barrel, I decided to spend $11 and take a one month subscription.
So I have actually read their report.

Surprise, surprise. The actual text concerning reliability places the GLE near the top of all their Luxury SUVs.

Here's their actual RELIABILITY report, screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)-screenshot-1-mercedes-benz-gle-reliability-consumer-reports.png  

Last edited by mikapen; 11-28-2022 at 02:04 PM. Reason: replace bad screenshot
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
Amgfam00 (11-28-2022), Vyper340vb (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 01:55 PM

Subaru BRZ
Originally Posted by mikapen
Well, since the Consumer Reports article has generated so many clicks with their headline on GLE reliability, and the graphic depicts them at the bottom of the barrel, I decided to spend $11 and take a one month subscription.

Surprise, surprise. The actual text concerning reliability places the GLE near the top of all their Luxury SUVs.

Nice!
I think this echoes what SW205 was saying about increased reliability in 2022. The overall ranking in the OP included many many model years. Can you show what the GLE ratings look like for other years?
Old 11-28-2022 | 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Nice!
I think this echoes what SW205 was saying about increased reliability in 2022. The overall ranking in the OP included many many model years. Can you show what the GLE ratings look like for other years?
Notice that I changed my post above to include the top of the page.
I'll try on my year, a 2021. Not today. Raking leaves.

P.S. You can buy a CR subscription a month at a time. $10 + tax.
Just remember it's an "automatically renewable" subscription. When I do this, I immediately cancel after the charge hits my card. That way you can peruse for a month and not get renewed.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-28-2022 at 02:16 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 11-28-2022 | 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580

Sure, as I said the 2022 was rated much better than the 2020 and 2021, this report is for the 2022. If you want to say thats a trend we would need to see data on 2023s a year from now.

Your selective eye is so funny lol, the difference in the 2022 vs the 2021 and 2020 is right there in the screen shot I posted but you ignore that.

Here it is again

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Nice!
Exactly.
Old 11-28-2022 | 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
Sure, as I said the 2022 was rated much better than the 2020 and 2021, this report is for the 2022. If you want to say thats a trend we would need to see data on 2023s a year from now.

Your selective eye is so funny lol, the difference in the 2022 vs the 2021 and 2020 is right there in the screen shot I posted but you ignore that.
In response to your comment, I'd ask why all the Headlines, from other Media outlets, are so "Selective" in posting that misleading graphic, presenting it as current reliability reports from CR. It's not.
It's what the casual reader takes away. We even have an entire thread based on those Click Bait headlines.

IMO those media outlets are not interested in actual reporting, otherwise they would have shown what I posted above.
I simply posted the most recent, current info from the CR website.

Anybody can do their own reading on the website if they are interested. Ten Bucks and a half hour. Look up whatever car / year you choose, be selective on your own terms.
I recommend it. You'll see how they give ratings to the entire GLE line.
They generally Rave about the GLE, as they have in previous years, but really struggle with the MBUX. They also don't like the running boards.

I'm still trying to figure out how they weight their overall scoring. It looks like Infotainment is about 40% and reliability is about 15-20%.
For all cars.
It is what it is.
Old 11-28-2022 | 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
In response to your comment, I'd ask why all the Headlines, from other Media outlets, are so "Selective" in posting that misleading graphic, presenting it as current reliability reports from CR. It's not.
It's what the casual reader takes away. We even have an entire thread based on those Click Bait headlines.

IMO those media outlets are not interested in actual reporting, otherwise they would have shown what I posted above.
I simply posted the most recent, current info from the CR website.
Honestly, you aren't making any sense. Reliability data from prior models is used to make an educated guess as to what the reliability of a future or current model is. So yeah, the reliability reports of the prior year V167s are totally legitimate. Also, people buy used cars...so those people absolutely want to know how the model years they are considering fare. For me, I am considering a GLS to replace our Pacifica. I had considered buying a CPO one vs a new one, this data would encourage me not to do that. Get it?

One year of improved reliability does not erase the previous years low ratings, so of course CR would need to see prolonged improvement before they would change their outlook. Which is why they rate the predicted reliability of the 2023 GLE as Below Average. The 2020 and 2021 were Well Below Average and the 2022 was Above Average. So, a prediction of Below Average makes sense.

The issue is you don't like the data they are reporting about the GLE so you are trying to find some way to create bias or discredit them. Consumer Reports is not "out to get" Mercedes or the GLE lol. They report their data and thats it, CR doesn't get any payment or consideration from carmakers, they don't give a crap about Mercedes any more than any other automaker. If they had given the GLE a good ranking, you'd say they were great.

You also are confusing their road tests and their reliability data. The road tests are excellent, because the vehicle is excellent to drive that's no surprise. Their testing has nothing to do with their reliability data, that comes 100% from their owner surveys. They don't test for reliability.

Their total score for a vehicle takes into account the Road Test score, the Reliability ranking and the Owner Satisfaction ranking.

Thats why the company is named what its named. Its Consumer Reports. As in reports from the Consumer.

Last edited by SW20S; 11-28-2022 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The issue is you don't like the data they are reporting about the GLE so you are trying to find some way to create bias or discredit them. Consumer Reports is not "out to get" Mercedes or the GLE lol. They report their data and thats it, CR doesn't get any payment or consideration from carmakers, they don't give a crap about Mercedes any more than any other automaker. If they had given the GLE a good ranking, you'd say they were great.

No, I would not. They are very poor at auto reviews, and they have deteriorated in the past decade IMO.

You also are confusing their road tests and their reliability data. The road tests are excellent, because the vehicle is excellent to drive that's no surprise. Their testing has nothing to do with their reliability data, that comes 100% from their owner surveys. They don't test for reliability.

No, I'm not confusing. They are separate reports. Funny you should mention road tests, because that's where they gave it low scores.

Their total score for a vehicle takes into account the Road Test score, the Reliability ranking and the Owner Satisfaction ranking.
Thats why the company is named what its named. Its Consumer Reports. As in reports from the Consumer.
I can go on with the insertions in Bold above, but I suggest you read the actual reviews. I'm not going to paste their lengthy review (LOTS of white space!).
Historical reliability is separate from their current Consumer ratings for the current model. They are shown separately.
I showed the current results, you showed historical.
I agree that people look for PAST ratings when shopping Used, but I'm talking about all the ruckus their latest SCOOP has caused.

The strange thing is that their ratings, shown separately, put the GLE at or near the top in half their categories. Safety, acceleration, comfort, space, more.
Then look at their "summary" and it doesn't match at all. Unless the highest weighting is for Infotainment and cupholders.

You're right. I don't like their data. For ANY car. I could do the same on one of their Porsche ratings, but this is a Mercedes forum, and this is a CR thread.
Read the entire article - see if you don't see inconsistencies with their attention grabbing antics. They have gotten a LOT of press, eyeballs, clicks and discussion. That seems to be their mission, and it's working.
Old 11-28-2022 | 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
The results I shared also include the current results. I have read all of these reviews.

Where did CR give the GLE a poor road test rating? The CR Road Test I read was quite good, they gave it a 76. Reading their review I agree with pretty much everything they said...they gave the X5 a higher road test score (94) and I agree with pretty much all the comparisons they offered having driven both myself. The GLE is bigger inside and I think it looks better in AMG Sport trim.

I actually find their road test writeups quite good.

I think you just don't like CR...
Old 11-28-2022 | 07:01 PM

2024 GLE 580
The results I shared also include the current results. I have read all of these reviews.

Where did CR give the GLE a poor road test rating? The CR Road Test I read was quite good, they gave it a 76. Reading their review I agree with pretty much everything they said...they gave the X5 a higher road test score (94) and I agree with pretty much all the comparisons they offered having driven both myself. The GLE is bigger inside and I think it looks better in AMG Sport trim.

I actually find their road test writeups quite good.

I think you just don't like CR...
Is the X5 that much better then the GLE?
Old 11-28-2022 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by bkushner
The answer is, it depends. The GLE drives more like a big luxury car, while the X5 is more controlled and firmer. From a handling perspective no doubt the X5 is better, and it tracks flatter down the highway where the GLE floats around. GLS vs X7 same thing, but the MBs are significantly roomier inside

I also think both the X5 and X7 have slightly better interior materials. Lower doors for instance on the GLE and GLS are hard plastic, where on the X5 and X7 they are fully padded.
Old 11-28-2022 | 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
The answer is, it depends. The GLE drives more like a big luxury car, while the X5 is more controlled and firmer. From a handling perspective no doubt the X5 is better, and it tracks flatter down the highway where the GLE floats around. GLS vs X7 same thing, but the MBs are significantly roomier inside
I also think both the X5 and X7 have slightly better interior materials. Lower doors for instance on the GLE and GLS are hard plastic, where on the X5 and X7 they are fully padded.
Have you tested a GLE 53 with the Dynamic Plus Package (Active 48V Sway bars)? No floating around and handles close to my new Cayenne with PDCC, a similar system.
The X5 with runflats felt harsh the last time I drove one…maybe 2 years ago.
Old 11-28-2022 | 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Have you tested a GLE 53 with the Dynamic Plus Package (Active 48V Sway bars)? No floating around and handles close to my new Cayenne with PDCC, a similar system.
The X5 with runflats felt harsh the last time I drove one…maybe 2 years ago.
I haven't, but I'm sure thats true of the AMG cars. I have only driven a GLE350 and a GLE450. The rides depend on the wheels, just like the GLE big wheels really hurt the ride. But yeah, on any car first thing I would do (and have done) is ditch the runflats.
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:03 PM

AMG GLE63S, X5M Comp, CTT, ZO6, Raptor
CR and other sources written by “sources” of kids with little real world experience who just got their job out of college mean little. I own both of the high end vehicles and spend my money based on MY desires not the twits writing. Ratings as a whole are subjective especially the near term reliability based on consumer feedback. Stealers and poor techs play a hand in all of the above for any of the vehicles under discussion
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Of course you buy what you like, reviews are just individual peoples opinions. No reason to insult people...if you don't care about anybody's opinion but your own, then just dont read or watch any reviews.
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:11 PM

Of course you buy what you like, reviews are just individual peoples opinions. No reason to insult people...if you don't care about anybody's opinion but your own, then just dont read or watch any reviews.
insulting? Only calling out the very real fact that those with no or little real world knowledge are swaying reviews. Most don’t make enough to own one let alone drive one for more than a day… Don’t like facts then may I suggest sticking to twitter or FB…
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bkushner
They're different cars.
​​​​​​The GLE rides better, but to me is floaty. The X5 seems tauter in normal driving, but strangely the GLE handles better - the BMW has a lot of understeer. So much that I stopped to check the tire pressure!

i prefer the interior, seats, interior space and appearance of the GLE, especially after spending some money on options. Personal choice.

I was put off by the handling of both cars, until I drove an AMG 53 with the Dynamic Plus Package.
Drove a '19 Cayenne with PDCC (similar, active) and it just didn't hustle as well. (Only other Active suspension available to drive - no BMW.)
(All three cars driven on the same, very twisty and fun drive that I'm very familiar with. 10 miles each way.)

Those were my impressions in '20 when I was shopping for cars.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-28-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I haven't, but I'm sure thats true of the AMG cars. I have only driven a GLE350 and a GLE450. The rides depend on the wheels, just like the GLE big wheels really hurt the ride. But yeah, on any car first thing I would do (and have done) is ditch the runflats.
The GLE 450 comes with 20” or 21” wheels and tires with a nice sidewall height and great ride...don’t know about the 21’s but they aren’t bad on the GLE 53. The 20” has the same wheel front and back with a slightly staggered offset so they can’t be rotated. My GLE 450 with 20’s came with soft suspension in C mode but perfect in Sport. Many of us ran around town in I mode with everything in C except suspension set to S. Mine came with Michelin Primacy Tour AS and had a great ride and I could take corners at well over posted speeds in Sport mode that also lowers the suspension 1”. Taking a test drive probably leaves a lot to be desired vs actually owning one and tweaking different options including tire pressure.
Old 11-28-2022 | 08:50 PM

They're different cars.
​​​​​​The GLE rides better, but to me is floaty. The X5 seems tauter in normal driving, but strangely the GLE handles better - the BMW has a lot of understeer. So much that I stopped to check the tire pressure!

i prefer the interior, seats, interior space and appearance of the GLE, especially after spending some money on options. Personal choice.

I was put off by the handling of both cars, until I drove an AMG 53 with the Dynamic Plus Package.
Drove a '19 Cayenne with PDCC (similar, active) and it just didn't hustle as well. (Only other Active suspension available to drive - no BMW.)
(All three cars driven on the same, very twisty and fun drive that I'm very familiar with. 10 miles each way.)

Those were my impressions in '20 when I was shopping for cars.
have both of the top form and couldn’t agree more. Both are different other than HP and performance. I’m fortunate to be able to have both and do a direct (not CR) comparison. I like both for different reasons completely but bought both because of their differences. Love both and enjoy the similarities but differences.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
If they were the same it would be pretty boring lol.

Originally Posted by Vyper340vb;[url=tel:8676609
8676609]insulting? Only calling out the very real fact that those with no or little real world knowledge are swaying reviews. Most don’t make enough to own one let alone drive one for more than a day… Don’t like facts then may I suggest sticking to twitter or FB…
Oh please lol. I would say that car reviewers who drive a ton of cars and review them for a living are a pretty good judge of the characteristics of one car vs the other, whether they can afford them or not. What "real world knowledge" do you want them to have other than testing cars all day every day? GLE and X5 are also not extremely expensive vehicles either. A lot of these YouTube car reviewers make way more money than you do, or I do. They get press cars for a week, also.

You confuse your opinion with fact…car reviewers are more than qualified to write a review of a car. People pay them to do that, nobody pays you for your opinion.

Originally Posted by Ron.s;[url=tel:8676623
8676623]The GLE 450 comes with 20” or 21” wheels and tires with a nice sidewall height and great ride...don’t know about the 21’s but they aren’t bad on the GLE 53. The 20” has the same wheel front and back with a slightly staggered offset so they can’t be rotated. My GLE 450 with 20’s came with soft suspension in C mode but perfect in Sport. Many of us ran around town in I mode with everything in C except suspension set to S. Mine came with Michelin Primacy Tour AS and had a great ride and I could take corners at well over posted speeds in Sport mode that also lowers the suspension 1”. Taking a test drive probably leaves a lot to be desired vs actually owning one and tweaking different options including tire pressure.
There is a ride difference on 21s vs 20s vs 19s. Bigger wheels will always have some level of a ride difference. I’ve driven cars I have seriously shopped and bought back to back on different wheel sizes many times to find the right balance for me. I only drove the GLE450 for a short while, but I drove the GLE350 for several days as a loaner. I drove the GLE450 to see if the 6 cyl powertrain would elevate the car, I really hated the 4 cyl powertrain in the 350.

Last edited by SW20S; 11-29-2022 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2022 | 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a ride difference on 21s vs 20s vs 19s. Bigger wheels will always have some level of a ride difference. I’ve driven cars I have seriously shopped and bought back to back on different wheel sizes many times to find the right balance for me. I only drove the GLE450 for a short while, but I drove the GLE350 for several days as a loaner. I drove the GLE450 to see if the 6 cyl powertrain would elevate the car, I really hated the 4 cyl powertrain in the 350.[/QUOTE]

I was responding to your comment in Post #113
The answer is, it depends. The GLE drives more like a big luxury car, while the X5 is more controlled and firmer. From a handling perspective no doubt the X5 is better, and it tracks flatter down the highway where the GLE floats around. GLS vs X7 same thing, but the MBs are significantly roomier inside”
I should have highlighted your post comments to make my response more clear. IMO, the GLE 450 (with air suspension) does not float around with the proper suspension settings and tire pressure. I can only speak to the 20’s on the 450 but I put well over 20k on ours and at least 4K towing an OHV of 3500+ lbs. I’m an aggressive driver and curvy roads are my thing. If you experienced a floaty feeling on a demo you probably had the suspension in C mode. That is apparently a compromise for those that want a plush ride and apparently many owners see that as a positive. The GLE 53, with Active sway bars, puts the GLE more into sports car mode and has 2 more aggressive settings. Only rarely was there ever a hint of Tramlining with either model on stretches of road known for that instability.
On trips to our vacation home (650 miles) speed limits are 80mph with traffic at 85-90. The GLE 450 is solid as a rock at high speeds even towing. Another route through Nevada is all two lane with lots of elevation changes and curves. Even in C mode it lowers the car 1” at higher speeds.
I had an X5 for a day and took a 200 mile round trip on mountain roads. It handled about as well as the 450 but the ergonomics and ride comfort were not as good. Changing tires might help the ride some but I doubt many owners do that.

Last edited by Ron.s; 11-29-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2022 | 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
IMO, the GLE 450 (with air suspension) does not float around with the proper suspension settings and tire pressure. I can only speak to the 20’s on the 450 but I put well over 20k on ours and at least 4K towing an OHV of 3500+ lbs. I’m an aggressive driver and curvy roads are my thing. If you experienced a floaty feeling on a demo you probably had the suspension in C mode. That is apparently a compromise for those that want a plush ride and apparently many owners see that as a positive. The GLE 53, with Active sway bars, puts the GLE more into sports car mode and has 2 more aggressive settings. Only rarely was there ever a hint of Tramlining with either model on stretches of road known for that instability.

Well sure I had the suspension in C mode, thats the default mode and the mode where 95% of my driving happens. The X5 in comfort mode is less floaty, but then BMW has a Comfort Plus mode which feels more like the GLE in comfort mode. Most people who drive a GLE will never take it out of comfort mode. I didn't present that as a bad thing, many people (including me) like a floaty feeling luxury car ride.

My S560 is the same way, if I'm on a long highway trip or on any kind of a twisty road I put it in Sport mode, or set the Individual mode to sport suspension and keep the steering light. Its way flatter in Sport mode.

On trips to our vacation home (650 miles) speed limits are 80mph with traffic at 85-90. The GLE 450 is solid as a rock at high speeds even towing. Another route through Nevada is all two lane with lots of elevation changes and curves. Even in C mode it lowers the car 1” at higher speeds.
I'm not saying that it isn't a stable vehicle at all, but the suspension in its base setting is really soft, its a Mercedes after all. On the highway at 80MPH in comfort mode it moves and floats around some, my S560 does too. The X5 isn't that way unless you choose Comfort Plus mode, and even then its never as soft as the Mercedes. I'm sure the AMG versions don't have this characteristic but they don't interest me.

I had an X5 for a day and took a 200 mile round trip on mountain roads. It handled about as well as the 450 but the ergonomics and ride comfort were not as good. Changing tires might help the ride some but I doubt many owners do that.
Ergonomics in either are good, its all what youre used to. BMW has some things they do better and Mercedes has some they do better. Mercedes instrument cluster is much better (I havent tried the new one in the refresh X7), but I prefer BMW's infotainment and MUCH prefer their CarPlay integration. The fact that in MBUX it wont display CarPlay on the whole screen like COMAND does in my S560 and the BMW infotainment does may alone disqualify the GLE and GLS or any other MB with a landscape screen for us, since we are heavy CarPlay users. I'm hoping thats addressed in the mid cycle refresh.

Last edited by SW20S; 11-29-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2022 | 10:41 AM

2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
I think the suspension feel is totally a driver preference setting. When I was first shopping the 3/C range several years ago, I thought I wanted the 3. Then I drove them back-to-back, and the difference was notable. Enough so that my butt preferred the C for the kind of highway driving I would be doing. Nothing wrong with either. If I was 20 years younger, the BMW probably would have won. And to be fair, I ended up with the C and an older 3 convertible for fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Ranks MB Dead Last in Reliability (11/15/2022)