GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2022 GLE53 Jerking while accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE 53 SUV 22" wheels
2022 GLE53 Jerking while accelerating

After pulling out of driveway and start drive, vehicle starts jerking wheb first accelerating. Happens very often . Took it to service for it twice and of course both times "could not reproduce. Annoying as hell. Anyone else experience this and if so, know what's causing it/solution?
thanks.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
That doesn't sound right. Can you be more specific about the symptoms?

Is it like it shuts off or loses power? Like it hits a false neutral between gears?
Like the brakes were applied? Cold or warm engine? Total mileage?

I haven't noticed this mentioned before, so the more specific you can be, the better chance someone can help.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
That doesn't sound right. Can you be more specific about the symptoms?

Is it like it shuts off or loses power? Like it hits a false neutral between gears?
Like the brakes were applied? Cold or warm engine? Total mileage?

I haven't noticed this mentioned before, so the more specific you can be, the better chance someone can help.
Happens both cold car that was sitting for day or two or from warm car that was driven short time earlier..
Pulling out of the driveway, put vehicle from reverse to drive, then start to drive and then the car starts to "jerk accelerate" as if pumping the accelerator while driving. Vehicle has been doing this 6 months after receiving car (received delivery july 2021) and has been doing this periodically but often. Has 9500 miles on it. No brakes were applied during acceleration. Vehicle stays in drive when the jerking occurs. Oh, one more additional that wife just reminded me. Our house is almost at crest of small hill. It only happens when going towards crest of hill. It doesn't when going in opposite direction (down decline of street) or on a leveled road or continuous drive or from stop sign/red light. So this only occurs after starting the vehicle and going up slight incline towards crest of road.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for replying :-)
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 04:37 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by phoenixone
Happens both cold car that was sitting for day or two or from warm car that was driven short time earlier..
Pulling out of the driveway, put vehicle from reverse to drive, then start to drive and then the car starts to "jerk accelerate" as if pumping the accelerator while driving. Vehicle has been doing this 6 months after receiving car (received delivery july 2021) and has been doing this periodically but often. Has 9500 miles on it. No brakes were applied during acceleration. Vehicle stays in drive when the jerking occurs. Oh, one more additional that wife just reminded me. Our house is almost at crest of small hill. It only happens when going towards crest of hill. It doesn't when going in opposite direction (down decline of street) or on a leveled road or continuous drive or from stop sign/red light. So this only occurs after starting the vehicle and going up slight incline towards crest of road.
Hope this helps.
Sounds like the torque converter is slipping. Maybe there is a faulty hydraulic pressure switch or sensor in the transmission? How far do you live from the dealership? Maybe request they have tech come pick it up and you demonstrate what it's doing on the hill in your neighborhood so he/she can witness it firsthand?
mikapen (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Sounds like the torque converter is slipping. Maybe there is a faulty hydraulic pressure switch or sensor in the transmission? How far do you live from the dealership? Maybe request they have tech come pick it up and you demonstrate what it's doing on the hill in your neighborhood so he/she can witness it firsthand?
Yes, unless you (OP) can find a similar hill near the dealership, where you can reliability duplicate the problem, your location sounds imperative.

I suspect sensors also.
It could be inclination or acceleration sensors, possibly in some combination with tranny sensors.
Or maybe it's fuel.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will mention a similar experience that I can replicate 100%.
It's probably 100% not related to your issue either, but let me describe it.

When I have left a car wash, and wanted to make sure my discs are dried, I've applied brake and throttle simultaneously, to heat up the brakes.
The car does not like it at all. It's either all brake or all throttle, and the transition between the two is dramatic, violent.
I don't feel that I'm applying very much pressure on either pedal, but the stop go action makes it impossible to be very smooth.

Maybe you can try my inadvertent troubleshooting technique and see if it feels the same. 25mph. Nobody around.

Maybe your car thinks there's a brake interaction at a certain inclination.
Pretty far fetched, huh?
Old 12-21-2022, 10:20 AM

Sorry for delayed response. Got notification reply but forgot to post a reply.
Maybe i could take a video while wife driving of the car jerking while going up the hill and it would be suffice for techs to figure it out.
There are no small inclines in the area where I take it for service so they most likely wont be able to duplicate it.
The jerking while going up small hill is really mysterious and I cant think of what could be causing it.
We only put 93 fuel.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE450
My 2022 GLE 450 jerks like crazy when decelerating!
Old 08-27-2023, 11:43 AM

So sorry took me so long to post follow up.
We managed to track down our favored most trusted service advisor who left our original service dealership and immediately noticed the quality of service went down the tubes.
He put it to have software checked and updated if needed, which they did. He said give it a few days for the drivetrain to learn our driving habits and adjust. It jerked 1 time when we got it back but hasnt anymore (about 1 month). Other things like irregular shifting, changing gears needed to be "learned" by the vehicle which also got better as we drove it.
Keeping fingers crossed that all it needed was software update.
mikapen (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
So sorry took me so long to post follow up.
We managed to track down our favored most trusted service advisor who left our original service dealership and immediately noticed the quality of service went down the tubes.
He put it to have software checked and updated if needed, which they did. He said give it a few days for the drivetrain to learn our driving habits and adjust. It jerked 1 time when we got it back but hasnt anymore (about 1 month). Other things like irregular shifting, changing gears needed to be "learned" by the vehicle which also got better as we drove it.
Keeping fingers crossed that all it needed was software update.
Sounds like they did an adaptation reset on the transmission module.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wildta
Sounds like they did an adaptation reset on the transmission module.
You are probably right.

Here's a question about adaptation though. Do we know if a transmission adaptation is linked to a Profile?
Old 08-27-2023, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
You are probably right.

Here's a question about adaptation though. Do we know if a transmission adaptation is linked to a Profile?
If that was the case, we could simply create a new profile which would save a trip to the dealer. That would be nice. I'd much rather redo all my settings vs a trip to the dealer.
TonyF61 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
I will mention a similar experience that I can replicate 100%.
It's probably 100% not related to your issue either, but let me describe it.

When I have left a car wash, and wanted to make sure my discs are dried, I've applied brake and throttle simultaneously, to heat up the brakes.
The car does not like it at all. It's either all brake or all throttle, and the transition between the two is dramatic, violent.
I don't feel that I'm applying very much pressure on either pedal, but the stop go action makes it impossible to be very smooth.

Maybe you can try my inadvertent troubleshooting technique and see if it feels the same. 25mph. Nobody around.

Maybe your car thinks there's a brake interaction at a certain inclination.
Pretty far fetched, huh?
this is completely unnecessary. the brakes will dry with the tremendous heat of the metal grinding brakes. Do you do this when it rains? can't dry that off
djgiovanni (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 11:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 GLE 450
My 23 has once or twice had something similar happen. I have a moderately steep hill to exit my home and when the car is not totally warmed up and when using minimal acceleration, the car jerked. I wrote it off as not warmed up and the car deciding which gear to use at such a slow speed. I don’t think it’s a problem in my case.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
this is completely unnecessary. the brakes will dry with the tremendous heat of the metal grinding brakes. Do you do this when it rains? can't dry that off
If you don't dry your brakes, the pads will rust and adhere to the discs. It can take a lot of throttle to break them loose.

There have been a few threads about how to release the automatic electric parking brake after turning the ignition off, so this doesn't happen. It's a thing.

There is a distinct difference between driving in the rain and having high pressure Jets aimed directly at your pads.

Mercedes uses sensors to squeeze the brakes in wet conditions, making them work reliably and immediately when it's raining. This doesn't happen at the car wash. You're only going 1 mph.

A couple of stops from 30 mph on the way home doesn't dry the brakes. Some day you will see.

Back to the topic:
I was describing my (failed) attempt at trying brakes and throttle simultaneously (it works on my other cars when you want to generate heat, such as just before fording a stream), which causes pretty violent pauses or jerks in acceleration in the GLE.

I was wondering if there was some similar interaction with the OPs issue.

Last edited by mikapen; 08-29-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Ron.s (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
It’s definitely a “thing”. Some German cars are worse than others. The Audi Forum has several topics started on stuck brakes. Rainy/snowy weather is the worst time since the brakes are usually damp when you park. if you think about it and ride the brakes just before parking, it won’t happen but….never happens.
My wife thought she had something fail the first time it happened to her. The loud bang and jerk is a little bit of a wake up as you leisurely try to back out of the garage.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLE450
Same issue with my 2023 with a few added twists

Mine does this as well — definitely when I shift into drive and start going downhill the engine revs and then will engage a few seconds later. Getting more frequent

but also now when accelerating to pass a car or at other random times when not after cold start or going downhill.

no codes. Dealer has had car a week and zero progress.
Old 09-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
If you don't dry your brakes, the pads will rust and adhere to the discs. It can take a lot of throttle to break them loose.

There have been a few threads about how to release the automatic electric parking brake after turning the ignition off, so this doesn't happen. It's a thing.

There is a distinct difference between driving in the rain and having high pressure Jets aimed directly at your pads.

Mercedes uses sensors to squeeze the brakes in wet conditions, making them work reliably and immediately when it's raining. This doesn't happen at the car wash. You're only going 1 mph.

A couple of stops from 30 mph on the way home doesn't dry the brakes. Some day you will see.

Back to the topic:
I was describing my (failed) attempt at trying brakes and throttle simultaneously (it works on my other cars when you want to generate heat, such as just before fording a stream), which causes pretty violent pauses or jerks in acceleration in the GLE.

I was wondering if there was some similar interaction with the OPs issue.
It certainly is a thing, if I recalled correctly, you pull the parking brake switch before you turn off the ignition and engine.

Good point on the brake drying thing, more on it here under Adaptive Braking Technology:
https://www.mbmanhattan.com/safety-features/#abt
Old 09-02-2023, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
It certainly is a thing, if I recalled correctly, you pull the parking brake switch before you turn off the ignition and engine.

Good point on the brake drying thing, more on it here under Adaptive Braking Technology:
https://www.mbmanhattan.com/safety-features/#abt
That's neat it dries the brakes automatically!
Old 09-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by wildta
That's neat it dries the brakes automatically!
Only when driving and as another forum member mentioned, it is there to make sure you get the best braking performance in wet conditions and to come to a stop safely.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLE 580
GLE jerking

Hope this helps.
yes, 01,GLE580 was jerking violently at 35mph at around 6000 miles on odometer…Mercedes reset computer, it’s been OK, however does still occur when stopping to park and foot is on brake pedal, the GLE jumps as if I gave it gas, but foot was still on brake.