GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Michelin Cross Climate 2 Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Michelin Cross Climate 2 Tire

I have a 2021 GLE 450. I need to replace the Cooper tires.

Are there any owners out there that have these tires on the same car so I can get a first hand opinion?

If so, can you tell me how you like them in term of treadwear, quietness and general performance in snow if applicable.

Would you buy them again?

Thanks

Toban
Old 01-22-2023, 02:13 PM

Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
You can check Cross Climate 2 performance compared to all weather A/S and winter tires, second in snow handling:

Data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=742439515

European version treadwear is not that good (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm), so Michelin made US version heavier with longer mileage warranty per Tyre Test reviews. Its winter performance with softer treads might be the reason. I have Alpin 5 winter tires with similar tread pattern and it is comfortable to drive. That is why I was looking at the Cross Climate 2's. They were not available with 21" and CC 2 lags in wet performance. I ended up with Michelin P/S 4 A/S UHP tires which are closer to summer UHP tires.

Another review that talks about its winter performance & glass transition temp:

50,000 mile review:

30,000 mile review says no wobbling on steel grid bridge similar to Alpin 5 or summer UHP tires. P/S A/S 4 wobbles on steel grid bridge.

Last edited by Serhan; 01-22-2023 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
GLE 450
Hello
I tried to get this tire for the same car but for 2022--Michelin told the tire dealers I went to that they are no longer made in that size. My son has this tire on his Honda CRV and they are great tires--louder than the Pirellii's I bought and more firm
I bought Pirelli All Season Plus 3's for my GLE just a couple weeks ago--super quiet and great performance.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by toban
I have a 2021 GLE 450. I need to replace the Cooper tires.

Are there any owners out there that have these tires on the same car so I can get a first hand opinion?

If so, can you tell me how you like them in term of treadwear, quietness and general performance in snow if applicable.

Would you buy them again?

Thanks

Toban
I have them on my wife’s Audi and they are still a compromise, IMO. They are OK in winter but not as good as a dedicated winter…better than AS. Ours have no sipes so will be inferior on ice. They make some noise at low speed at full turn (Ackerman effect) but wear decent and are quiet.
I would buy them again for our area and the limited winter use on our second car. I have dedicated winters on my car so we have a choice.
Rubber compounds keep getting better so reviews can lag reality.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:35 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Thanks for your answers and input.

Since I'm from Canada and in AZ, I called back to the tire dealer back home. He told me now Mercedes Canada are not stocking this Cross Climate 2 tire in my size. They are only stocking the more popular sizes. So, if I replaced my tires down here and went home and needed a replacement, I could be hooped.

I want Michelin tires. The only tire in my size the 275/50R20 available right now here in the USA from Michelin are the Primacy Tour A/S, 2 latitude tires and the Pilot Sport. The Primacy tires have the best all around statistics in terms of wear, comfort etc etc, are 109H rated and, these are available in Canada from Michelin Canada.

I really would like the Defender tire but again but again Michelin do not make the size I need and this tire is rated the number 1 tire period. I have them on my wife's 2019 Pilot with 39,000 miles on them with wear at 7-8/32. Fantastic.

I checked on Tire Rack these Cooper Discoverer SRX LE tires. They were the original tires I have on my car. They rated at 49 out of 49 tires tested with the highest rating no better than 1.5 out of 10 in all categories. Tire Rack's overall summary was " unacceptable".

Toban

Old 01-23-2023, 07:55 PM

Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Maybe talk with tirerack and see if they will ship the tires to you in Canada. It looks like they do with some freight + duty cost:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270

Originally Posted by toban
Thanks for your answers and input.

Since I'm from Canada and in AZ, I called back to the tire dealer back home. He told me now Mercedes Canada are not stocking this Cross Climate 2 tire in my size. They are only stocking the more popular sizes. So, if I replaced my tires down here and went home and needed a replacement, I could be hooped.

I want Michelin tires. The only tire in my size the 275/50R20 available right now here in the USA from Michelin are the Primacy Tour A/S, 2 latitude tires and the Pilot Sport. The Primacy tires have the best all around statistics in terms of wear, comfort etc etc, are 109H rated and, these are available in Canada from Michelin Canada.

I really would like the Defender tire but again but again Michelin do not make the size I need and this tire is rated the number 1 tire period. I have them on my wife's 2019 Pilot with 39,000 miles on them with wear at 7-8/32. Fantastic.

I checked on Tire Rack these Cooper Discoverer SRX LE tires. They were the original tires I have on my car. They rated at 49 out of 49 tires tested with the highest rating no better than 1.5 out of 10 in all categories. Tire Rack's overall summary was " unacceptable".

Toban