GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Child seats in 7 seater GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
various
Child seats in 7 seater GLE

Has anyone successfully fitted ISOFIX high backed child seats in the new 7 seat GLE?

due to the electrically adjustable head restraints, the restraints cannot be removed it seems. This means that the back of the child seat is not able to rest on the backrest of the seat. The head restraint gets in the way.

this is not comfortable nor would I assert that safe.

this seems like a huge oversight given that the seats are ISOFIX equipped so just wondered others experiences.

the child seat is a recaro monza, but I can’t see any high backed seat fitting properly.

mercedes nor the dealer have had a response as yet.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh
Has anyone successfully fitted ISOFIX high backed child seats in the new 7 seat GLE?

due to the electrically adjustable head restraints, the restraints cannot be removed it seems. This means that the back of the child seat is not able to rest on the backrest of the seat. The head restraint gets in the way.

this is not comfortable nor would I assert that safe.

this seems like a huge oversight given that the seats are ISOFIX equipped so just wondered others experiences.

the child seat is a recaro monza, but I can’t see any high backed seat fitting properly.

mercedes nor the dealer have had a response as yet.
I've fitted a Britax Marathon (convertible) child seat, front-facing, in the 2nd row. (This model is before their "clicktight" version.) Seems to fit in just fine. Then again, it probably isn't very high backed. I have a Chicco MyFit car seat that I will probably swap in for the Britax which has a higher back.

I haven't tried any child seats in the 3rd row as I don't believe there are ISOFIX anchor points in the 3rd row. I just read the PDF version of the manual and it specifically says you'd have to use the seatbelt in the 3rd row.

-Terry
The following users liked this post:
quattrogmbh (06-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
various
I have the response now from Mercedes that the head restraints are not removable in row 2 if you have the 7 seat option

given that many child seat manufacturers and safety organisations recommend removing the head restraints when a High backed child seat is fitted this may cause you issues.

id certainly recommend a trial seat fitting and be prepared to shell out the £400 that Mercedes want for their approved child seat!
The following users liked this post:
tjinn (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by quattrogmbh
I have the response now from Mercedes that the head restraints are not removable in row 2 if you have the 7 seat option

given that many child seat manufacturers and safety organisations recommend removing the head restraints when a High backed child seat is fitted this may cause you issues.

id certainly recommend a trial seat fitting and be prepared to shell out the £400 that Mercedes want for their approved child seat!
Thanks for researching this. I guess something to look out for when getting a new booster (for my daughters as they grow.)

-Terry
Old 07-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I didn't get the 7 seat option now.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:32 AM

By the way, I was able to install my other (larger) car seat in the back - it's a Chicco MyFit (5 point harness booster) and it fit fine. I did have to raise the headrest up, but otherwise fit in normally. (The seat goes to 100lbs.)

-Terry
Old 07-09-2019, 06:31 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I haven’t picked up my GLE yet but curious if anyone with the 5 seater can comment how comfortable is it to fit a baby seat (I have a britax safe and sound) and two normal sized adult passengers in the 2nd row. Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
In the five seater there is enough room for a baby seat and two small to medium adults. I have a booster with a back(big) behind the driver and a booster without a back in the middle. A medium adult is ok behind the passenger but connecting belts is like a puzzle. Booster with back first, middle next and then the passenger. Grandkids are 8 (60lbs.) and 5 (40lbs.).
Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I guess it can’t be worse than my current w205 which is a very tight squeeze to have two adults plus the baby seat.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
I had to buy two backless narrow boosters to get both kids into the 2019 E450 Cabriolet. The little guy just meets NYS limit for backless. They just love the top down and fling their arms up like they are on a rollercoaster.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
ISO fix issue where seat tilts too much

Hi

not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Both myself and my sister have a new 7 seat GLE with the electronic adjustable seat and we have both encountered the same issue where we fit a group 0 isofix seat base and then the carrier/car seat fits to that. The problem is that the slope on the GLE Seats means the car seat sits at a slight angle which in a reward facing seat causes our babies heads to tilt foward which can be really dangerous.

has anyone else had this issue or knows a fix. I’ve tried to adjust the seat GLE seat but it doesn’t bring the base up any further?

thanks
Old 03-10-2021, 01:03 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
We fit three Diono's in the back (2 Rainier 1 Radian RXT), raised the outer board headrest to its highest position, removed the center headrest, and they fit well. When it was rear-facing, we used
their pad / angle adjuster their pad / angle adjuster
and it helped quite a bit. Not sure if you have a specific angle adjuster device that you can use, but there are ways to mitigate the angle.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I noticed that if you have the power second row with the third row you also have different harder to use anchor points than compared to the non-moveable second row with no third row. I had a loaner GLE with the power second row and third row and there was one long flap that covered both anchor points. When you flipped this up to get to the anchor points, it got in the way of my booster seat and left an uncomfortable gap between the MB seat back and booster seat bottom. The flap would not allow the booster seat to go all the way back when it was tightened. Mine, without the power seats and no third row has two small plastic individual covers and are totally removed to buckle in. This allowed the booster seat to slide all the way back to the MB seat back. Just pointing out another small design problem.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:56 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Old thread and a while since I last commented here, but a couple years later, with the newborn now 2.5 years old, we are thinking about a second child and whilst I'm sure two child seats would fit in easily in the rear, the question is whether the middle seat would still be useful for the mother in law. Or do we need a bigger car? (surely this is a common challenge with 2 child families since buying a V250d seems like overkill for this).
Old 10-17-2021, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by JaCe88
Old thread and a while since I last commented here, but a couple years later, with the newborn now 2.5 years old, we are thinking about a second child and whilst I'm sure two child seats would fit in easily in the rear, the question is whether the middle seat would still be useful for the mother in law. Or do we need a bigger car? (surely this is a common challenge with 2 child families since buying a V250d seems like overkill for this).
Id you are using two full size child seats (non booster style) I think it will be very tight. I remember having a larger child seat with the side head protection too and when both my in laws where in the back it was tight. Often my much smaller wife had to ride in the back with my mother in law. Now another thought and not trying to sound mean, but the size of your mother in law will make a big difference too.
Good luck.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a 2.5 year old and a 2 month old. We have 2 child seats in the back, but positioned in the left and middle seats, so that my wife can sit in the larger rear right side near the newborn.

We were considering putting the child seats on either side and leaving the middle seat empty, so that both children are "accessible" by the person sitting in the middle, but haven't tried that and like you I'm not sure if it would be comfortable/spacious enough.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by JaCe88
Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I didn't get the 7 seat option now.
The 5 seat option has its own issues like how the 2nd row is fixed and can't recline!