GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

In need of a software engineer. Or a priest.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:18 AM

Received 210 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by wildta
Is BLIS blind spot assist? Those work on radar so this could add to your case? Booking 4 months out is crazy. My closest dealer is like that and so now I go to the ones further away (15-20min further drive) where I can get appointments next day.
Yes - BLIS is aka Blind Spot Assist. A bad radar sensor seems likely to me, too, but it is proving to be strangely difficult to diagnose. And if it is the source of the various alert issues, it's bizarre to me that a bad side sensor would activate automatic rear braking in a parking lot. I do know that every passenger side sensor works as it should when I'm pulling into my garage and keeping it tight to the wall.

The service lead time is actually about 4 weeks (a bit less if you don't need a loaner). My dealership is about a half hour away. The next closest is more than an hour, and they don't offer pick-up/drop-off either.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Yes - BLIS is aka Blind Spot Assist. A bad radar sensor seems likely to me, too, but it is proving to be strangely difficult to diagnose. And if it is the source of the various alert issues, it's bizarre to me that a bad side sensor would activate automatic rear braking in a parking lot. I do know that every passenger side sensor works as it should when I'm pulling into my garage and keeping it tight to the wall.

The service lead time is actually about 4 weeks (a bit less if you don't need a loaner). My dealership is about a half hour away. The next closest is more than an hour, and they don't offer pick-up/drop-off either.
Oops I meant weeks but I'm sure it feels like months when you're dealing with an issue like yours.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (04-25-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 06:11 PM

2021 GLE450
I picked up Damian after another day at the service center. The MB service geniuses concluded that while my GLE's shifting is less than smooth, it falls within the parameters considered 'normal'. No further diagnosis/action is required. My dissatisfaction with my car's performance and their inability to make my car drive like a $75k car led to a conversation about MB transmissions in general, wherein I discovered that both the Service Advisor and Service Manager believe with absolute certainty that my GLC has the 7G gearbox, not the 9G. There was nothing I could say to convince them otherwise. It is scary to me that these are the "experts" running my service center. As a side note I find it curious that the GLB loaner's transmission (completely different than the GLE's transmission, of course), also exhibited awful shifting behavior. The GLA loaner I had last month shifted perfectly fine with the same drivetrain. WTF, Mercedes???

On the subject of the BLIS, they claim they could not replicate the system's malfunction which is curious since it didn't work at all for two weeks, and has only worked intermittently since. No further action/diagnosis required at this time.

The stone-damaged front sensor was replaced at my cost, and the whistling mirror was swapped out under warranty, although I haven't been on the highway to confirm the problem is actually resolved.

Needless to say, I am not happy. If the car weren't paid for I suspect it'd already be gone. I have a feeling it's just a matter of time.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
chassis (05-06-2023), djgiovanni (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 12:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,977 Likes on 3,126 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I picked up Damian after another day at the service center. The MB service geniuses concluded that while my GLE's shifting is less than smooth, it falls within the parameters considered 'normal'. No further diagnosis/action is required. My dissatisfaction with my car's performance and their inability to make my car drive like a $75k car led to a conversation about MB transmissions in general, wherein I discovered that both the Service Advisor and Service Manager believe with absolute certainty that my GLC has the 7G gearbox, not the 9G. There was nothing I could say to convince them otherwise. It is scary to me that these are the "experts" running my service center. As a side note I find it curious that the GLB loaner's transmission (completely different than the GLE's transmission, of course), also exhibited awful shifting behavior. The GLA loaner I had last month shifted perfectly fine with the same drivetrain. WTF, Mercedes???

On the subject of the BLIS, they claim they could not replicate the system's malfunction which is curious since it didn't work at all for two weeks, and has only worked intermittently since. No further action/diagnosis required at this time.

The stone-damaged front sensor was replaced at my cost, and the whistling mirror was swapped out under warranty, although I haven't been on the highway to confirm the problem is actually resolved.

Needless to say, I am not happy. If the car weren't paid for I suspect it'd already be gone. I have a feeling it's just a matter of time.
Sorry to hear. You are one in a very long line of people reporting similar experience with MB junk transmissions and poor MB stoolie dealer interaction.
HotRodW (05-06-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 08:24 PM

2021 GLE450
The mirror whistle is gone -- hooray for small victories! Unfortunately the 360-degree alert still occurs at random times, so the "possibly" damaged front sensor that I paid to replace clearly wasn't the problem. I continue to get notifications that the rear passenger side window is open when it isn't. The transmission continues to worsen as upshift clunks are now a regular occurrence. The best or nothing my ***!
Old 05-26-2023, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,199 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I gave up on a 2020 with continual sensor alerts an occasional cross traffic brake lockups. Lost confidence in the car.

Last week the '21 started the same ritual(s). Oh No! Washed the car, returned in a half hour. Triple Oh No. We're travelling in the Midwest and the bug guts are severe.

Got out my boars hair detail brush and sudsed each sensor vigorously. A week with no warnings? Yes.

Maybe I'm on to something here.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 09-08-2023, 09:19 AM

2021 GLE450
I had the B1 service performed yesterday. Looking for someone who can actual resolve issues, I had a different dealership pick up my car to perform the service. In addition to the standard service, I had them look into the malfunctioning BLIS and also gave them an opportunity to look into the transmission issues. (I didn't bother with the false sensor alerts since they're too random.) They didn't have any problems determining the passenger blind spot detection wasn't working (there's no way the other dealership even looked at it before determining it was operating correctly). They claim it's a known problem and it was supposedly fixed with a software update. But as expected, they "couldn't replicate any transmission issues", and when they checked for codes they found none. They concluded the transmission is "shifting as designed". Unfortunately, they also padded the invoice with bull**** extras and additives. Overall I'd say it was a pretty pricey service for very little satisfaction. And because they took their time, the car wasn't returned until this morning.

So once again I ask the question ... if the transmission is operating as designed, as everyone keeps telling me it is, why didn't it operate this way for the first 5,000 miles? And how can I get it operating "improperly", as it apparently did for the first few months?

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-08-2023 at 09:33 AM.
djgiovanni (09-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
So once again I ask the question ... if the transmission is operating as designed, as everyone keeps telling me it is, why didn't it operate this way for the first 5,000 miles? And how can I get it operating "improperly", as it apparently did for the first few months?
LOL - "Improperly" as in shifting smoothly. There has been so many complaints on this forum that it is impossibe for any $tealership to not be aware of it. I have posted, several times on this forum; not necessarily on this post, that I took my '22 GLE 450 to a different dealership, and they performed "adtaptions of trans module" and this fixed the hard downshifts for me. Some have mentioned that it did not work for them. You should ask if they will do it.

Good Luck to you!! It sucks that after spending what we did on these vehicles, that we have to deal and put-up with these issues. This is my 1st MB, and most likey my last. The mecanical and software/electronic issues and attitudes from dealerships were not what I was expecting from a "Luxury" manuf."
HotRodW (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:08 AM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by TonyF61
LOL - "Improperly" as in shifting smoothly. There has been so many complaints on this forum that it is impossibe for any $tealership to not be aware of it. I have posted, several times on this forum; not necessarily on this post, that I took my '22 GLE 450 to a different dealership, and they performed "adtaptions of trans module" and this fixed the hard downshifts for me. Some have mentioned that it did not work for them. You should ask if they will do it.
I had the adaptations done before, and they did it again yesterday. The vehicle still drives terribly. At least the other dealership acknowledged the poor shift quality before telling me it's normal. This dealership suggested it drives perfectly. And while my primary dealership has frustrated me, too, they never padded an invoice. That's something I won't tolerate.

Originally Posted by TonyF61
Good Luck to you!! It sucks that after spending what we did on these vehicles, that we have to deal and put-up with these issues. This is my 1st MB, and most likey my last. The mecanical and software/electronic issues and attitudes from dealerships were not what I was expecting from a "Luxury" manuf."
This is our second Benz. My wife's GLC has been a solid car. The GLC's extended warranty expires at the end of the year, and my wife had planned to sell it and start driving the GLE while I move on to something different. Unsurprisingly, she no longer wants to drive the GLE. And of course neither do I. We always stagger our purchases, so I guess I'll have to decide if I'd rather drive the GLC without warranty or continue putting up with the possessed GLE.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:11 PM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I had the adaptations done before, and they did it again yesterday. The vehicle still drives terribly. At least the other dealership acknowledged the poor shift quality before telling me it's normal. This dealership suggested it drives perfectly. And while my primary dealership has frustrated me, too, they never padded an invoice. That's something I won't tolerate.

This is our second Benz. My wife's GLC has been a solid car. The GLC's extended warranty expires at the end of the year, and my wife had planned to sell it and start driving the GLE while I move on to something different. Unsurprisingly, she no longer wants to drive the GLE. And of course neither do I. We always stagger our purchases, so I guess I'll have to decide if I'd rather drive the GLC without warranty or continue putting up with the possessed GLE.
Sorry to hear that.
Not sure I would be comfortable in an MB without any sort of warranty. Repairs, from what I hear, are overly expensive.
Best wishes too you and the wife. Hope you get something that keeps you happy.

HotRodW (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
Does anyone know if the transmission is constantly adapting or does it only learn after a reset and then locks that type of driving style in place?
Old 09-08-2023, 01:35 PM

2021 GLE450
Does anyone know if the transmission is constantly adapting or does it only learn after a reset and then locks that type of driving style in place?
I can't answer that question, but I'm convinced this has nothing to do with the adaptive transmission logic. For this to be "learned" behavior, all of us experiencing it would have to downshift aggressively in stop-and-go driving on a regular basis. I don't know anybody who manually downshifts super aggressively when coasting/gentle-braking to a stop.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
My understanding is that it's constantly adapting.

That's what It seems like to me, but it seems to remember the more aggressive actions longer than the more docile ones.

For instance, if I stab the throttle to merge into a gap, the transmission will be more aggressive for the rest of the day or longer.

In Mercedes, the speed at which you depress the accelerator tells it how you want to drive. Floor the pedal and it'll downshift multiple gears and hold that gear for several seconds, interpreting your foot speed as indication that you are getting on with it!
wildta (09-08-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I don't know anybody who manually downshifts super aggressively when coasting/gentle-braking to a stop.
I did on the W166, and do on a regular basis on the 9Y0 Cayenne. These cars are meant to be driven, sometimes hard. I hold the view that most MB owners don't push the accelerator pedal beyond 15% during the the ownership period.
HotRodW (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 12:01 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by chassis
I did on the W166, and do on a regular basis on the 9Y0 Cayenne. These cars are meant to be driven, sometimes hard. I hold the view that most MB owners don't push the accelerator pedal beyond 15% during the the ownership period.
I'm not talking about when in sport mode driving aggressively on a two lane road. I'm talking about in stop-and-go city driving, where my transmission is at its worst - constantly slamming me into the next lower gear at too high RPM's. It's when I want a smooth, controlled stop the most when I absolutely cannot get it. You know there's a problem when your mother-in-law in the backseat asks if you've forgotten how to drive. I have no problems getting aggressive gear changes when I want them.
chassis (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I'm not talking about when in sport mode driving aggressively on a two lane road.
Neither am I.

I'm talking about in stop-and-go city driving
So am I.

constantly slamming me into the next lower gear at too high RPM's. It's when I want a smooth, controlled stop the most when I absolutely cannot get it. You know there's a problem when your mother-in-law in the backseat asks if you've forgotten how to drive. I have no problems getting aggressive gear changes when I want them.
Conclusion: MB boxes are junk. They should divest themselves of their transmission operations and let the pros at ZF and Aisin do a proper job.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chassis
Funny post.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:45 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
I had the B1 service performed yesterday. Looking for someone who can actual resolve issues, I had a different dealership pick up my car to perform the service. In addition to the standard service, I had them look into the malfunctioning BLIS and also gave them an opportunity to look into the transmission issues. (I didn't bother with the false sensor alerts since they're too random.) They didn't have any problems determining the passenger blind spot detection wasn't working (there's no way the other dealership even looked at it before determining it was operating correctly). They claim it's a known problem and it was supposedly fixed with a software update. But as expected, they "couldn't replicate any transmission issues", and when they checked for codes they found none. They concluded the transmission is "shifting as designed". Unfortunately, they also padded the invoice with bull**** extras and additives. Overall I'd say it was a pretty pricey service for very little satisfaction. And because they took their time, the car wasn't returned until this morning.

Everyone on this forum is probably tired of my story.
Traded my MY22 GLE 450 this past April after 9 months / 7k miles as I could NOT stand the rough downshifting. 3 dealerships and all telling me they found no issues. The last one I took it to (where I bought it), had the master technician confide the transmissions on the GLEs were very problematic and basically a lottery (some were ok some not). Escalated all the way up to MBUSA and nothing was resolved. My only way out was trading as I din't want to go the "Lemmon Law" route.

Perfectly happy with my current GLE. No more tranny issues.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 09-11-2023 at 10:44 AM.
HotRodW (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 10:09 AM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Everyone on this forum is probably tired of my story.
Traded my MY22 GLE 450 this past April after 9 months / 7k miles as I could NOT stand the rough downshifting. 3 dealerships and all telling me they found no issues. The last one I took it to (where I bought it), had the master technician confide the transmissions on the GLEs were very problematic and basically a lottery (some were ok some not). Escalated all the way up to MBUSA and nothing was resolved. Ny only way out was trading as I din't want to go the "Lemmon Law" route.

Perfectly happy with my current GLE. No more tranny issues.
By telling you they found no issues, they were likely preventing any Lemon Law claims anyway. In most states a problem has to be acknowledged for Lemon Law rules to apply. Denying there's even a problem to correct puts them in the clear. They'd argue that since it's "operating as designed", you're entitled to dislike the behavior in the same way you might not like the infotainment system, but it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:46 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
By telling you they found no issues, they were likely preventing any Lemon Law claims anyway. In most states a problem has to be acknowledged for Lemon Law rules to apply. Denying there's even a problem to correct puts them in the clear. They'd argue that since it's "operating as designed", you're entitled to dislike the behavior in the same way you might not like the infotainment system, but it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.
If true, it makes all the sense in the world.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
… the master technician confide the transmissions on the GLEs were very problematic and basically a lottery (some were ok some not).
This is the textbook definition of poor quality. MB is a poor quality manufacturer.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

....he last one I took it to (where I bought it), had the master technician confide the transmissions on the GLEs were very problematic and basically a lottery (some were ok some not). .....
Most if not all dealer techs don't like the cars they work on - all they see are the broken ones.
This is true of every dealership in my area, and it's been true for decades.

Drive around back, look at what brand of cars the techs drive, and you rarely see them in the store brand.

Unless you have a longer, closer relationship with him/her, those "My brand is S**t" comments should be taken with a grain of salt. If taken at all.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Dealers don’t get paid much, if at all, for diagnostic work so the bias is against longer term scrutiny of random issues. That’s true across most brands. The result might make it more difficult to Lemon a car.
There is a more comprehensive Federal Consumer Law for warranty, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. This covers actual and implied warranty. You can receive compensation in some cases for things other than out of pocket like loss of value. The downside is hiring an Attorney and potential cost of Litigation. There is a middle ground. If you can document repeated attempts for your transmission issue you might consider the “Attorney Letter” route. I’m told that Mercedes takes these seriously. You state the issue, the $ loss you will incur and that your claim will include other costs and Attorney fees.
You might find an Attorney that will send a letter for a fixed price of $500-$1000. You need to limit the scope authorized by the Attorney to writing the letter and receiving the response. Some attorneys like to run up the bill. The Letter goes to MB USA & the Dealer.
If you do the basic outline and organize the Service orders for him it should reduce costs. At the very least it should get Mercedes to authorize a deeper look into the issue by the Dealer. This advice comes from a situation I had years ago when a similar letter was $250. It’s not a great option but might be better than the constant irritation and loss from an early trade. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
HotRodW (09-13-2023), TonyF61 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 12:08 PM

2021 GLE450
And it continues ... I had reported here that I was getting false window open warnings in the past. The warning always shows the rear passenger side, but the window wasn't open in the slightest. Since activating the window button cleared the warning, I thought I had a bad sensor. (Of course the dealer couldn't find a problem.) Twice this past week, however, I got the warning, and the window was partially open both times. This is a troubling development - especially if the dealer continues to insist there isn't a problem. Has anyone else experienced this one? A window opening itself while parked?

Old 09-17-2023, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try synchronizing your windows.

I gave instructions on how to do it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8845803
HotRodW (09-17-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In need of a software engineer. Or a priest.