GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

TRAFFIC EVENT AHEAD warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 06:46 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Question TRAFFIC EVENT AHEAD warning

I often times get an audible alert “traffic event ahead “ when there is no traffic. The sensors are obviously seeing something and misreading it. Perhaps it is happening on an incline or decline where the camera may get fooled. I’m sure MB engineers are well aware of the fact that not every road is straight and flat. Car doesn’t apply brakes so there’s no safety concerns, just curious if others are experiencing the same issue. Thanks
Old 03-19-2023, 08:00 AM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
I'm pretty sure it means there could be an accident, road construction, or other traffic event ahead. It's not what the cameras see but the information transmitted to the vehicle.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
This is interesting. So last week I am coming home, and I notice on my screen a grey icon with an “!” symbol in the middle. I have never noticed a symbol like that before, so I tap it out of curiosity….and got this same message. I am literally sitting at a stoplight looking down the road that says there is some event ahead. There is nothing there, road is completely clear…except….

a white GLS (X167) sitting on the side of the road with its hazzards blinking. No accident, no physical damage to the car, owner sitting in it on the phone. As I go past it, it aligns to the same location on my screen.

Maybe 5-10 minutes later I am coming back down that road to take my son to practice. The symbol on the screen is gone….and so is that white GLS.

I thought wow, that’s strange. And perhaps when another MB with this new technology presses the hazzards, it somehow alerts all other MB’s with this technology of the same via that little icon?

That white GLS was the only vehicle on the road where the system said a traffic event ahead was located. And all it appeared to be was someone pulling off to the side to make a phone call.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:38 AM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
It has happened to me a few times in an area which often has traffic backups. Heavy traffic but no accidents. Perhaps heavy traffic is the “event”?
Old 03-19-2023, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
As I recall the message comes from the Live Traffic function. It's usually an accident, road construction, road closed or Detour. If you are using Nav it will tell you the length of estimated delay and will try to route you around the event. In my experience it didn't work well since the "event" seems to lag actual. There seems to be a delay reporting the event and then a longer delay clearing it.
The following users liked this post:
EXTRAOLD (03-19-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 08:46 AM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
My subscription to Live Traffic just expired. I've found it to be very poor and not worth the cost of renewing.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Ron.s
As I recall the message comes from the Live Traffic function. It's usually an accident, road construction, road closed or Detour. If you are using Nav it will tell you the length of estimated delay and will try to route you around the event. In my experience it didn't work well since the "event" seems to lag actual. There seems to be a delay reporting the event and then a longer delay clearing it.
Yup, most likely, forum member superswiss also mentioned that in his post: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8429909
Old 03-20-2023, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, as said, these come from the Live Traffic data. Has nothing to do with cameras. An incident on the road you are on has been reported, but not cleared yet. This could be a SIG alert, accident or something including other MB drivers reporting hazards. Not sure if you are aware, but you can report road hazards via the Car-to-X service. I get these occasionally, even if the actual incident has cleared already. They don't always clear immediately. It's like the alerts on Waze. Most of them are no longer valid. The cops have moved on, etc. If it bothers you, you can turn off traffic announcements in the settings, but I leave them on, because it announces congestions ahead, so if I don't have an active route guidance I still get the congestion announcements, so I can exit the highway and take local roads. It has saved me a few times from getting stuck in traffic. I generally have the map up on the center display at all times, but I don't always look at it, so it's helpful to get these announcements.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:59 AM

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts
a
Turn on your hazard lights and you'll generate your own traffic event.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by darlop
Turn on your hazard lights and you'll generate your own traffic event.
​​​​​​Or brake hard enough to activate Antilock braking.

​​​​​​I did that when I missed a turn on a gravel road, my NAV showed an incident for about 5 minutes, then disappeared.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​On another stretch of heavily traveled road, I can see about two miles ahead, including traffic light stack-ups. I see how long it takes for my display to react to changes, and it's about 3 - 5 minutes.
​​​​​​
BTW, when running Waze simultaneously, it doesn't even react in 15 minutes.

​​​​​​The Mercedes 'Here' system clearly gets info from more than Car-to-X. State Agencies provide traffic data and more.

As an aside, Mercedes has partnered Parkopedia Parking, allowing you to find, reserve and pay for parking, although I don't know how it will be integrated. https://business.parkopedia.com/solu...r-integrations
KWes (07-05-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mikapen
​​​​​I did that when I missed a turn on a gravel road, my NAV showed an incident for about 5 minutes, then disappeared.
Yeah, I don't think many are aware of the Car-to-X system. When the safety systems such as ABS, ESP trigger or even if the rain sensors detect rain, the system broadcasts an event to the cloud that then gets communicated to other cars on the road. Currently it works only between MB vehicles as far as I know, but they are working on a standard between all manufacturers, so this information can be exchanged between vehicles from different brands. They are further along in Europe on this. For example if there's an accident and an emergency vehicle is approaching, you get an alert in the vehicle, so drivers know to make room for the emergency vehicle to pass. So getting these traffic alerts can be as simple as some other MB driver had to slam on the brakes moments earlier to avoid a collision and other vehicles approaching the area are being warned, just in case it actually turned into a bigger situation.
KWes (07-05-2023)