GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Fuel Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,137 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
MB pays. This can be seen in public companies’ financial statements as “warranty expense” or similar description.
*THE ONLY TRUE STATEMENT IN THIS POST*

The repair doesn’t cost what dealers claim it does. Never believe anything a dealer tells a consumer. MB pays 1%-10% of retail price for parts. MB pays dealers for warranty work a fraction of the headline hourly rate that consumers are abused with.
*WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG* (SILLY. ACTUALLY)

The linked articles above suggesting supplier malfeasance are not definitive and not credible.
*ACTUAL BAD PARTS, NOT INCORRECT REPORTING*

Automakers universally blame suppliers as a first course of action to avoid an avalanche of product liability litigation, spread FUD and slow down the legal process. The legal compass then points to the supplier who then has the burden of convincing the legal system that “they got the wrong guy”. This is the default procedure.
*THEY DON'T BLAME THE SUPPLIER, THEY JUST RETURN THE PARTS AND CHARGE THEM FOR EXPENSES*

Suppliers are in a delicate position because the “customer is always right” except when they aren’t. Telling your customer he is lying and has a junk design needs to be done with tact and diplomacy.
*STRANGE OPINION, STILL WRONG*

Bosch owned up to partial culpability in dieselgate
*WRONG* (NO ACTUAL FAULT. PUBLIC OPINION INCORRECTLY SIDED WITH THE EPA*
Remember the Ford-Firestone fiasco? The Ford suspension architecture was the problem but Ford forced Firestone to take the fall.
*WRONG. IT WAS LOW INFLATION PRESSURE SPECS.*
Let’s also bring to mind the Corvair “unsafe at any speed” swing arm oversteering rear axle
*WRONG BY A LONG SHOT. CADILLAC HAD THE WORST ROLLOVER STATISTICS IN THOSE YEARS*
and Pinto fuel tank placement which led to “thermal incidents”.
*BONUS ALMOST CORRECT ANSWER*
Car companies make mistakes on a regular basis, in which scenario means suppliers have produced a part 100% in-spec, but the spec was wrong. MB in this case owns the spec.
*YES, AND THEIR INSPECTION FOUND FUEL PUMPS NOT BUILT TO THAT SPEC. HENCE THE RECALL."
The Blame Game, but without substance.

The supplier messed up and will pay expenses.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by jaxslk
So this morning the SA asked the parts mgr to check on the new SKU fuel pump for the recall, and the parts depot (Atlanta??) told him there were approx 2,000 units available but all showing as being in Germany at this time and not in the U.S. for shipment (yet) to dealerships. They advised that when Germany releases them (any day) that it would take another 7-10 days to get here to the dealership for the work to be done. The parts mgr's assumption was that Germany was testing/inspecting all the replacement pumps themselves before sending them out to be installed in customer vehicles. I booked a new date of 10/2 for the work to be done. We shall see.
Update: SA called me this morning. Germany released the pump and has shipped it here to the dealer in FL.
Expected 9/29 or 9/30 arrival. I should be good for my 10/2 service appointment.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (09-22-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Update: SA called me this morning. Germany released the pump and has shipped it here to the dealer in FL.
Expected 9/29 or 9/30 arrival. I should be good for my 10/2 service appointment.
Any update on this one, how does the car drive after the replacement? Smoother?
Old 10-07-2023, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Any update on this one, how does the car drive after the replacement? Smoother?
Dealer rcvd 10 new units and they got installed in 10 other cars before my appointment, so I'm on hold until next batch arrives this week. We'll see. Wasn't pleased they didn't call me first before showing up to my appointment. Hard to get good service some days. Just drove 195 miles today for a college game and car ran perfectly. I can't detect any issues right now with the "recalled" fuel pump. Doubt I'll notice anything different when it's swapped out. Have you heard any reports yet of cars running smoother, as you said?
Old 10-08-2023, 08:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Dealer rcvd 10 new units and they got installed in 10 other cars before my appointment, so I'm on hold until next batch arrives this week. We'll see. Wasn't pleased they didn't call me first before showing up to my appointment. Hard to get good service some days. Just drove 195 miles today for a college game and car ran perfectly. I can't detect any issues right now with the "recalled" fuel pump. Doubt I'll notice anything different when it's swapped out. Have you heard any reports yet of cars running smoother, as you said?
nope, I did not hear reports of cars running smoother but I was curious if it runs smoother. That said, shame on your dealership, hopefully they make it right for you.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:26 PM

Update: fuel pump delivery module was replaced today. Car drives great as before. After the replacement - cannot detect any worsened nor improved drivability. As a coincidence, check engine light came on yesterday so while it was in the shop they replaced the Evaporative Emissions System Leak Detection Assembly - (000-545-01-41). This apparently plugs in under the right rear fender well area. All warranty work. Took the tech about 7 hours total for both replacements. I had a 2023 GLB SUV loaner for the day - wow is that a big driving difference from my GLE53.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:18 PM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Looks like Honda is joining the fuel pump party with 2+ mil. cars being recalled: https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...d-honda-models
Old 04-30-2024, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by manbeing
I went to https://www.mbusa.com/en/recall (Last updated: Jul 05, 2023)
entered my car vin. it said no recall.
my car is 2023 450
I also checked my VIN 4JGFB5KBXPA856776 and no mention of any fuel pump recall.
Did you end up getting yours changed?