GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Two questions about the locking mechanism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 11:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Two questions about the locking mechanism

1. After I shut off engine, close the doors and then leave the car, how can I let the car automatically lock the doors after a period of time? ( I didn't find a feature for it)
2. The car is locked. How can I let the car automatically unlock all the doors if I open the trunk door? (this is a very useful feature. for example, you go back to the car after shopping and after you place the bags in the trunk, you don't have to unlock the door to get into the car. My Acura MDX has this feature and I have been get used of it.).
Old 07-11-2023, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 607 Likes on 450 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by manbeing
1. After I shut off engine, close the doors and then leave the car, how can I let the car automatically lock the doors after a period of time? ( I didn't find a feature for it)
2. The car is locked. How can I let the car automatically unlock all the doors if I open the trunk door? (this is a very useful feature. for example, you go back to the car after shopping and after you place the bags in the trunk, you don't have to unlock the door to get into the car. My Acura MDX has this feature and I have been get used of it.).
#1 This feature doesn't exist in MB. They should allow the option to be enabled via a menu but instead it's not offered at all.

#2 This doesn't exist either. It shouldn't be an issue for the driver since they hold the keys and so pulling on the door handle will unlock the door. For other passengers, they'd have to wait until you do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
manbeing (07-11-2023), mm9351 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 202 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
If I'm not mistaken, there is an auto lock feature. Auto lock will occur if you unlock the doors but do not open them within 5 minute.
Old 07-11-2023, 01:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Originally Posted by MBguy013
If I'm not mistaken, there is an auto lock feature. Auto lock will occur if you unlock the doors but do not open them within 5 minute.
Auto lock feature is to automatically lock your doors when the vehicle is moving.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Auto lock feature is to automatically lock your doors when the vehicle is moving.
It also relocks the doors if you unlock them but don't open a door. It relocks, as @MBguy013 said. Maybe sooner than 5 minutes.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
1. Why not just touch a handle and lock now, rather than waiting, if you want the doors locked?
2. Stranger Danger - unlock the boot and all doors get unlocked and the bad guys pile on and do bad things.
If you want the doors open for all, just touch a door handle before you open the hatch.

That's MBs approach, and I can certainly live with them.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by mikapen
It also relocks the doors if you unlock them but don't open a door. It relocks, as @MBguy013 said. Maybe sooner than 5 minutes.
​​​​​​ It's around 30 seconds.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,785 Likes on 2,531 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said above, these two specific features are not available on MB vehicles. I personally also don't miss them really. For question one, if you forget to lock the car and walk away, you'll get a notification on your phone within about a minute to let you know that the car is still unlocked and you can then lock it from the phone. Honestly, I simply would not leave it up to chance to lock my car when walking away, and I intentionally leave my car unlocked in my own private garage, so that if I need to get something from it I don't have to first go and grab my key.

For the second question, I also don't quite see much of a need for this. As I walk up to my car I often just stick my hand between the door and the handle to unlock it on my way to the trunk and then open the trunk, so the car is already unlocked. It actually partly helps with the hands-free trunk opening as sometimes the sensor seems to go to sleep if the car was parked for a while, so unlocking it first wakes it up, and then the kick to open the trunk works more consistently.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
For the second question, I also don't quite see much of a need for this. As I walk up to my car I often just stick my hand between the door and the handle to unlock it on my way to the trunk and then open the trunk, so the car is already unlocked. It actually partly helps with the hands-free trunk opening as sometimes the sensor seems to go to sleep if the car was parked for a while, so unlocking it first wakes it up, and then the kick to open the trunk works more consistently.
Wow! Secret trick. Maybe I can actually open the lid without embarrassing myself!

I think the car wakes up a bit when it senses a key, then some more when I touch the inner handle, even when it's unlocked in my garage. And full alert when you open the driver's door.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:09 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
'22 GLE 350e
The alarm also automatically activates, even though you haven't locked the car (annoyingly).
The following users liked this post:
petee1997 (01-06-2024)
Old 07-12-2023, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by elbekko
The alarm also automatically activates, even though you haven't locked the car (annoyingly).
No, the alarm only activates if the car is locked. If it activates otherwise then there's a malfunction.
CaliBenzDriver (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:04 AM

'22 GLE 350e
No, the alarm only activates if the car is locked. If it activates otherwise then there's a malfunction.
God, I wish that was the case. No, and it's been confirmed by the dealer, this is expected behaviour. And they claim they can't turn it off... I even directly asked the mechanics having a smoke outside this week, when I went by the dealership.

Very fun when you're refuelling, and someone is still sitting in the car, and opens a door. Or moves if the interior monitoring is active.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
God, I wish that was the case. No, and it's been confirmed by the dealer, this is expected behaviour. And they claim they can't turn it off... I even directly asked the mechanics having a smoke outside this week, when I went by the dealership.

Very fun when you're refuelling, and someone is still sitting in the car, and opens a door. Or moves if the interior monitoring is active.
Sorry, never experienced this and I have driven many different recent EU spec and US spec MB/AMG models. As said I always leave my cars unlocked in my garage. Alarm never goes off when I open the door.
TNS550 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:25 AM

Received 202 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic

Do you have the new Guard 360 security? Not sure if that has that feature but it is a new security system that is being rolled out
Old 07-12-2023, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Do you have the new Guard 360 security? Not sure if that has that feature but it is a new security system that is being rolled out
Guard 360 adds camera surround recording, phone alerts and emergency key deactivation. But again, it's only active when the car is parked and locked as far as I know. My hunch is they have a third-party or aftermarket alarm system.

Here's a demo, too. He demonstrates the interior sensor with the windows down, but you can see in the screenshot of the app at 2:20, that the vehicle is locked. Padlock symbol is locked.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-12-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:13 PM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Page 90 of MY23 owner's manual states the ATA alarm activates "after locking the vehicle" - see below...

Old 07-12-2023, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Sorry, never experienced this and I have driven many different recent EU spec and US spec MB/AMG models. As said I always leave my cars unlocked in my garage. Alarm never goes off when I open the door.
Same here. Always leave it unlocked in garage without setting off any alarms later without the key.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:40 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Do you have your key in your pocket, or leave your key in the car? It only does it when the car doesn't recognise you.

My hunch is they have a third-party or aftermarket alarm system.
No Guard 360 (as far as I know), and definitely no aftermarket alarm. Just the stock system (that I didn't even order, it suddenly "became standard").

Originally Posted by TonyF61
Page 90 of MY23 owner's manual states the ATA alarm activates "after locking the vehicle" - see below...

I know, and it's strange. Hence why I've asked the dealership about it multiple times.

Originally Posted by wildta
Same here. Always leave it unlocked in garage without setting off any alarms later without the key.
Might be a European-spec thing then?

It's very simple. Have the key in your pocket, get out with someone still in the car. After 30 seconds or so, the indicator lamp on the dash will start blinking, this means the alarm is primed (lock button on the key, or the door handles were never touched). Passenger now tries to get out or moves too much, alarm goes off.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Do you have your key in your pocket, or leave your key in the car? It only does it when the car doesn't recognise you..
Neither. My key is upstairs sitting on a desk and asleep. The new key fobs have a motion sensor, so after 2 minutes of not sensing any motion they go to sleep and stop sending out a signal. Something is not working correctly in your car.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:43 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Neither. My key is upstairs sitting on a desk and asleep. The new key fobs have a motion sensor, so after 2 minutes of not sensing any motion they go to sleep and stop sending out a signal. Something is not working correctly in your car.
Well, that's strange. I'm going to check the manual in the car again, as I'm pretty sure that mentions this functionality. And, as mentioned, at the dealership they claim this is an expected feature.
I'd be very, very happy if I could get it disabled.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE 350
The feature you're talking about in your 1. is called Walk-away Auto Lock, not available in MB. Believe me, I asked. Available in a bunch of other cars from Hondas to Tesla, but for reasons I cannot understand, not MB. And I almost didn't buy mine because of it. I always have a kid in a car seat that I have to get out before I can lock the car. By then, I'm also toting groceries and backpacks, etc. Both hands are full, so neither the key fob or the door touch lock are convenient. So I forget to lock the doors until I remember. It's a problem.

Tesla's option to use your phone as a key is perfect for what you have in mind. My husband has one, and while I'm not a fan of the car for a lot of reasons, this is one of the best features for practical use. You can also remote start the car, adjust the climate control and get in without the car turning off. I mean, if Tesla and Honda can do it, it can't be advanced or expensive tech. I'm still wondering about any after-market security systems that can do this.

Last edited by MinkyB; 07-15-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:24 AM

'22 GLE 350e
So, to come back to this.
I've rechecked the manual, and it has the same text as the online one - should only activate after a locking event.

Took a quick video to show what's happening:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UZMsi6ttBj0

As you can see, the car isn't locked (mirrors not folded in). The alarm is primed, as you can see from the red LED blinking on the dash.
I put the key a few metres away, and tried opening the car => alarm goes off.

I'll send the same video to the dealer (and maybe MB Belgium) and see if they still think it's normal...
Old 01-05-2024, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300e
So, to come back to this.
I've rechecked the manual, and it has the same text as the online one - should only activate after a locking event.

Took a quick video to show what's happening:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UZMsi6ttBj0

As you can see, the car isn't locked (mirrors not folded in). The alarm is primed, as you can see from the red LED blinking on the dash.
I put the key a few metres away, and tried opening the car => alarm goes off.

I'll send the same video to the dealer (and maybe MB Belgium) and see if they still think it's normal...
same happens with my GLC (by coincidence, in Belgium) the alarm is being primed after like 30 seconds every time. i have to remember to unclick the interior monitoring everytime i get out to fill it up (wife and kids stay in). or when i took the car to wheel change, I unclicked both interior and tow protection, but since the guy turned off the engine, and maybe he moved the car in the garage, my alarm was triggered every minute or so. it was a complete disaster, and overall terrible design. I cannot find a simple way to deactivate this option which is really annoying.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:24 PM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by gmr555
same happens with my GLC (by coincidence, in Belgium) the alarm is being primed after like 30 seconds every time. i have to remember to unclick the interior monitoring everytime i get out to fill it up (wife and kids stay in). or when i took the car to wheel change, I unclicked both interior and tow protection, but since the guy turned off the engine, and maybe he moved the car in the garage, my alarm was triggered every minute or so. it was a complete disaster, and overall terrible design. I cannot find a simple way to deactivate this option which is really annoying.
Yup, that's exactly the same behaviour. Absolutely infuriating.
The dealer claims they can't do anything about it (they spent about an hour searching in Xentry). Apparently it can be coded out, but I haven't found anyone close by yet to do it.

I am working on getting Xentry working for myself, but haven't gotten it fully up and running yet. Oh, and don't bother with BenzNinja on here if you're not in the US.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gmr555
*****I unclicked both interior and tow protection, but since the guy turned off the engine, and maybe he moved the car in the garage, my alarm was triggered every minute or so. it was a complete disaster, and overall terrible design. I cannot find a simple way to deactivate this option which is really annoying.
If you are talking about notifications on your Mercedes Me app, just turn off "Valet Protect."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Two questions about the locking mechanism