GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

What's actually physically different in the "Offroad Engineering" package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
'22 GLE 350e
What's actually physically different in the "Offroad Engineering" package?

Hi all,

While perusing my manual, I found some references to the off-road package, and some of it seemed really useful. Especially being able to control the height of each corner individually would be nice for the roof tent, then I wouldn't have to lug the levelling pads around.

I've been talking to a local tuner, and he's hesitant about enabling the off-road package without the hardware being there.
Now I'm wondering what hardware is actually physically different?

I know about:
* The skid plates (they don't come with a module, I'm fairly sure )
* Different air suspension button, that also includes a button for the low-range on the transfer box. This could be a different module I guess, but not sure if it'd make a difference. Might be nice anyway, I'd quite like to have the low-range.

What might be different, from descriptions:
* Transfer box. Although I can't immediately see a different part number for one, and I doubt MB would bother making two versions.
* Diffs. Apparently there can be locking diffs?

Some details I've found so far about the package:
https://www.mercedes-benz.ie/passeng...ffroadtechnics

So, can I expect to get a bunch of errors and a freaking out car if I get this enabled, or will it be fine (potentially with replacing the switch module in the centre console)?
Old 09-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,866 Likes on 3,041 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
A two-speed t/case is a different physical unit than a single-speed t/case.

“Enabling” ORE will be sure you have enabled error messages because of missing hardware. Real hardware, ie gears, shafts, clutches, bearings and cast housings, not “modules”. It is a chase after the wind.

Last edited by chassis; 09-08-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:01 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by chassis
A two-speed t/case is a different physical unit than a single-speed t/case.

“Enabling” ORE will be sure you have enabled error messages because of missing hardware. Real hardware, ie gears, shafts, clutches, bearings and cast housings, not “modules”. It is a chase after the wind.
Sure, I know that, but are they actually physically different on the GLE is my question? Would be nice if there was a document of part numbers out there, per pack.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:34 PM

'22 GLE 350e
I had a quick look under the car on a friend's lift today, as we've both been intrigued by how it looks underneath.

This is what looks a suspicious lot like a low-range selector motor.

Googling the part number shows this thing, called "reduction motor":

Yeah, I'd say that looks an awful lot like a gear selection motor, not unlike the one on my Range Rover.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,137 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by elbekko
I had a quick look under the car on a friend's lift today, as we've both been intrigued by how it looks underneath.

Yeah, I'd say that looks an awful lot like a gear selection motor, not unlike the one on my Range Rover.
Interesting find.
You're in Belgium, right? I wonder if your drivetrains are different there, but as you say, it doesn't make sense for Mercedes to duplicate drivetrains.
Were there any good diagrams with the part numbers?
Old 09-08-2023, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
Hi all,

While perusing my manual, I found some references to the off-road package, and some of it seemed really useful. Especially being able to control the height of each corner individually would be nice for the roof tent, then I wouldn't have to lug the levelling pads around.

I've been talking to a local tuner, and he's hesitant about enabling the off-road package without the hardware being there.
Now I'm wondering what hardware is actually physically different?

I know about:
* The skid plates (they don't come with a module, I'm fairly sure )
* Different air suspension button, that also includes a button for the low-range on the transfer box. This could be a different module I guess, but not sure if it'd make a difference. Might be nice anyway, I'd quite like to have the low-range.

What might be different, from descriptions:
* Transfer box. Although I can't immediately see a different part number for one, and I doubt MB would bother making two versions.
* Diffs. Apparently there can be locking diffs?

Some details I've found so far about the package:
https://www.mercedes-benz.ie/passeng...ffroadtechnics

So, can I expect to get a bunch of errors and a freaking out car if I get this enabled, or will it be fine (potentially with replacing the switch module in the centre console)?

I thought to get the individual height option you also had to have the E-Active option.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sure, I know that, but are they actually physically different on the GLE is my question? Would be nice if there was a document of part numbers out there, per pack.
How familiar are you with the physical properties of gears, bearings, shafts, seals and cast housings?

Read about Magna Powertrain ActiMax and UltiMax transfer cases.

Last edited by chassis; 09-09-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:34 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by mikapen
Interesting find.
You're in Belgium, right? I wonder if your drivetrains are different there, but as you say, it doesn't make sense for Mercedes to duplicate drivetrains.
Were there any good diagrams with the part numbers?
I doubt there's a physical difference for Belgium, the car was built in the US like the rest of them.

Originally Posted by PhilipHanser
I thought to get the individual height option you also had to have the E-Active option.
Maybe, didn't know about that. Pretty sure I don't have that, only the regular airmatic.

How familiar are you with the physical properties of gears, bearings, shafts, seals and cast housings?

Read about Magna Powertrain ActiMax and UltiMax transfer cases.
I've been working on, driving and off-roading Land Rovers for around 15 years. I've had a few transfer cases apart. Is that enough for you, or do I need a PhD in transferboxology?
mikapen (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I've been working on, driving and off-roading Land Rovers for around 15 years. I've had a few transfer cases apart. Is that enough for you, or do I need a PhD in transferboxology?
Such PhD (where is it offered?) would help, but is not strictly necessary.

Crawl under your GLE and take some photos of the t/case, post them here. Compare them to Magna ActiMax and UltiMax transfer cases and you/we can figure out what you have. This is entirely knowable with available resources.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Such PhD (where is it offered?) would help, but is not strictly necessary.

Crawl under your GLE and take some photos of the t/case, post them here. Compare them to Magna ActiMax and UltiMax transfer cases and you/we can figure out what you have. This is entirely knowable with available resources.
Already done. See post #4.

You can share your comparison of 'available resources,' or at least what they are. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:08 PM

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
Not sure it helps with figuring this out - but my GLE450 has eABC which came with skid plates (handy when I ran over a tree stump on my property).

My GLE doesn’t have a two-speed transfer case. Annoying that they were separated like that (thanks MBUSA). When I bought my GLE I mistakenly assumed it had the 2-speed transfer case since it had eABC on the build sheet.

My old W166 ML550 did - and had an Off Road 1 and Off Road 2 mode along with a separate selector for Low Range. OR2 would be equivalent to OR+ on 167s. The two-speed transfer case also came with a module to lock the center differential. I think it only locked in OR2 mode. The two speed case was larger and wider than a regular 4matic t-case.

Edit 1: The four corner control you referred to is specific to eABC. It uses the hydraulic strut to raise and lower the corners and NOT the air suspension. While you can raise the air suspension manually or select OR mode, it isn’t meant to lower specific corners outside of the “automatic leveling” that Airmatic already does. The “digital switches” for corner control is specific to eABC which has a small hydraulic pump at each strut powered by the 48V system to push the strut up and down - it’s why eABC can “bounce” the car while an airmatic GLE cannot.

Edit 2: It looks to me like that reducer motor is part of the 4matic transfer case and matches the picture for the ActiMax t-case mentioned above by chassis. While it might support Off Road mode, low range requires the two-speed t-case, which in my W166 looked like the UltiMax t-case in size and layout. Easy way to tell is the module shouldn’t be visible from the bottom on the two-speed (UltiMax) version.

Last edited by OldMerc94; 09-10-2023 at 12:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldMerc94:
chassis (09-10-2023), elbekko (09-10-2023), mikapen (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 06:11 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Originally Posted by OldMerc94
Not sure it helps with figuring this out - but my GLE450 has eABC which came with skid plates (handy when I ran over a tree stump on my property).

My GLE doesn’t have a two-speed transfer case. Annoying that they were separated like that (thanks MBUSA). When I bought my GLE I mistakenly assumed it had the 2-speed transfer case since it had eABC on the build sheet.

My old W166 ML550 did - and had an Off Road 1 and Off Road 2 mode along with a separate selector for Low Range. OR2 would be equivalent to OR+ on 167s. The two-speed transfer case also came with a module to lock the center differential. I think it only locked in OR2 mode. The two speed case was larger and wider than a regular 4matic t-case.

Edit 1: The four corner control you referred to is specific to eABC. It uses the hydraulic strut to raise and lower the corners and NOT the air suspension. While you can raise the air suspension manually or select OR mode, it isn’t meant to lower specific corners outside of the “automatic leveling” that Airmatic already does. The “digital switches” for corner control is specific to eABC which has a small hydraulic pump at each strut powered by the 48V system to push the strut up and down - it’s why eABC can “bounce” the car while an airmatic GLE cannot.

Edit 2: It looks to me like that reducer motor is part of the 4matic transfer case and matches the picture for the ActiMax t-case mentioned above by chassis. While it might support Off Road mode, low range requires the two-speed t-case, which in my W166 looked like the UltiMax t-case in size and layout. Easy way to tell is the module shouldn’t be visible from the bottom on the two-speed (UltiMax) version.

Thanks, that's all very good info!
chassis (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Thanks, that's all very good info!
@elbekko can you please post a photo of your t/case as @OldMerc94 has done?
Old 09-10-2023, 08:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Well done, thank you! Knowledge is power!
Old 09-10-2023, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FWIW, our local Benz club has done several four-wheel drive weekends around Ouray CO. Yes, Black Bear Pass is as formidable as claimed. 😀

In general, we find that the W164 and 166 models are quite capable off road, embarrassing Jeep clubs and other "more capable" brands - according to their advertising. (Haven't used the 167 there yet.)

A couple of club members bought 166's with the low range package. It didn't seem to make them any more capable than ones without, but it did give them bragging rights. To something.

The electronics, including gentle throttle application, gearhholding, hill descent, and ABS's heightened wheel control (like a diff lock) and more, make these things pretty formidable off road.

So much that I sold my old FJ45 Land Cruiser, because the ML with no Low Range and only All Weather tires, was a better off road weapon.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:53 PM

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420

Magna refers to this module as a NIA Integrated Actuator. You can see it highlighted in their marketing material for ActiMax. I’ve searched for its exact function, but it’s difficult to find more detail.

Skip to 3:11min.

Edit: It looks like the integrated actuator varies torque distribution to the front axle? Check 1:15-1:27 - looks like that “reduction motor” does what it says - spins what looks like a worm gear to vary torque to the front axle.

Last edited by OldMerc94; 09-10-2023 at 06:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldMerc94:
chassis (09-10-2023), elbekko (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Magna refers to this module as a NIA Integrated Actuator. You can see it highlighted in their marketing material for ActiMax. I’ve searched for its exact function, but it’s difficult to find more detail.

Skip to 3:11min.

Edit: It looks like the integrated actuator varies torque distribution to the front axle? Check 1:15-1:27 - looks like that “reduction motor” does what it says - spins what looks like a worm gear to vary torque to the front axle.

ActiMax Marketing Video
Spot on @OldMerc94 .

"Variable", as MB uses the term, all-wheel-drive in current model MBs and Porsches uses a multi-plate wet clutch which is continuously differentiating. This means the clutch plates on input and output shafts have a rotational speed difference between them. This is necessary to vary transmit torque, when the actuator motor in the video is activated. The worm-drive sector gear compresses, or releases, the clutch plates, thus varying the amount of torque transmitted across the coupling.

When the coupling is "locked up", meaning zero rotational speed difference between input and output shafts, the variation of torque transfer is at its limit, and the terminal torque split is determined by a slight difference in front vs rear final drive ratios, as is the case on "basic" or "old-fashioned" 4MATIC. For example on W166.

Cayenne uses a version of the plate coupling found in V167. To be honest I consider the plate device a minor-league solution compared with the traditional chain-driven t/cases in 958, W166, G-Wagen and full size pickup trucks.

Last edited by chassis; 09-10-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
167-280-49-00 for 2020 GLE580/GLS580 photo below. Actuator motor clearly visible.

@elbekko what does your t/case look like? What is its part number?

Old 09-11-2023, 02:48 AM

'22 GLE 350e
Spot on @OldMerc94 .

"Variable", as MB uses the term, all-wheel-drive in current model MBs and Porsches uses a multi-plate wet clutch which is continuously differentiating. This means the clutch plates on input and output shafts have a rotational speed difference between them. This is necessary to vary transmit torque, when the actuator motor in the video is activated. The worm-drive sector gear compresses, or releases, the clutch plates, thus varying the amount of torque transmitted across the coupling.

When the coupling is "locked up", meaning zero rotational speed difference between input and output shafts, the variation of torque transfer is at its limit, and the terminal torque split is determined by a slight difference in front vs rear final drive ratios, as is the case on "basic" or "old-fashioned" 4MATIC. For example on W166.

Cayenne uses a version of the plate coupling found in V167. To be honest I consider the plate device a minor-league solution compared with the traditional chain-driven t/cases in 958, W166, G-Wagen and full size pickup trucks.
Aha, so the motor I saw is the front/rear split actuator, and not the low range actuator, and the description of the A1679011303 part number online is simply wrong then

Haven't crawled underneath again, I'll try to get another picture later. But it looks like the same t-case @OldMerc94 has, so I guess it's the single speed. I'm amazed Merc bothered with having two separate t-cases available, especially since the off-road package isn't very expensive (and if I would've been able to spec it on the 350e, I would've...).

Too bad, but good info learned, thanks gents