GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450 Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'20 S560, '20 GLE 450, '21 Mustang GT
Angry GLE 450 Issues

I'm looking for some suggestions on the following issues with my '20 450GLE with 39k & almost out of warranty.
1. Navigation - every time I insert an address the Nav constantly sends me the long way home, sometimes more than 100 miles. I have unchecked all boxes such as "avoid toll roads, dirt road", etc.
2. Cell phone usage - car is paired with my phone via Blutooth but often times in the SF bay area, when making a call the display indicates "connecting call" but never actually makes the call. Also, driving through the mountains of Lake Tahoe, phone works fine. The same phone, Samsung S23, works flawlessly in my '21 Mustang.
3. And most frustrating of all - the adaptive cruise randomly stops working with an error message displayed saying "currently unavailable & camera view restricted" with a digital picture of two cars hitting each other. This occurs with the exterior of the car clean & if I pull over & shut the car off, then re-start, the system works as normal for another 10 or so drives until it re-occurs. Dealer has replaced the camera behind the rearview mirror, but the problem continues; last time it was in for service the tech said he was "unable to duplicate" the issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 05:33 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 GLE 450
The first thing I’d do is get the car scheduled for a service for the adaptive issues. Get it on record and get it in for a fix. Prior to that I’d reset the MBUX to factory settings and start over. I had some Bluetooth issues and a few other bugs until I rest it. It’s not a hard thing to do, however you will need about 15-20 minutes afterwards to set up the infotainment, phone, seats lights etc. it’s not hard and I actually enjoyed it. Good luck
Old 12-07-2023, 06:58 PM

Received 343 Likes on 183 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
In the GLE, the phone is buried deep in the car and the signal is blocked making it difficult to hit a cell tower with a decent signal. If you're using 5G, turn it off. 5G is nowhere near as good as LTE.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:21 PM

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Originally Posted by TSimo
1. Navigation - every time I insert an address the Nav constantly sends me the long way home, sometimes more than 100 miles. I have unchecked all boxes such as "avoid toll roads, dirt road", etc. I assume you've already checked for a map update. Not sure if it will help, but that's where I would start. If the map is up-to-date, and you've already verified that "Avoid Freeways" is not selected, then the next thing I would check is the "Dynamic Traffic Routing" settings. Are you paying for LiveTraffic via Mercedes Me Connect? If so, I suppose it's possible that the LiveTraffic is influencing your route to appear much longer, but perhaps there were traffic incidents on the "shorter" route that it was intentionally avoiding by rerouting you. If all those ideas don't pan out, then a full MBUX reset may be in order.
2. Cell phone usage - car is paired with my phone via Blutooth but often times in the SF bay area, when making a call the display indicates "connecting call" but never actually makes the call. Also, driving through the mountains of Lake Tahoe, phone works fine. The same phone, Samsung S23, works flawlessly in my '21 Mustang. I'll bet there is a dealer-installed MBUX update available, which may hopefully resolve this. I would set an appointment and specifically ask the dealer to check for any updates available for your MBUX. Fingers crossed...
3. And most frustrating of all - the adaptive cruise randomly stops working with an error message displayed saying "currently unavailable & camera view restricted" with a digital picture of two cars hitting each other. This occurs with the exterior of the car clean & if I pull over & shut the car off, then re-start, the system works as normal for another 10 or so drives until it re-occurs. Dealer has replaced the camera behind the rearview mirror, but the problem continues; last time it was in for service the tech said he was "unable to duplicate" the issue. This issue reminds me of something similar on our '20 GLS 450. Ultimately, the dealer found a bulletin about "off-gassing" of the camera and/or overhead control unit, which caused a fog to appear on the inside of the windshield, in front of the camera lens (where it couldn't be cleaned). The dealer replaced whatever exactly it was up there that was "off-gassing" and cleaned the glass in the process. Problem has not recurred for 10k miles since that repair.
Hope that helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by mercedesbuff:
mikapen (12-08-2023), Ron.s (12-07-2023), TSimo (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mercedesbuff
Hope that helps!
Very good advice. Off gassing was a widespread issue with the camera.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
mikapen (12-08-2023), TSimo (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:38 PM

Thanks to all for your advice!
Old 12-07-2023, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
In the GLE, the phone is buried deep in the car and the signal is blocked making it difficult to hit a cell tower with a decent signal. If you're using 5G, turn it off. 5G is nowhere near as good as LTE.
Unfortunately almost every car buries the phone into the worst area. I have an EQS loaner at the moment and I'm unable to use the wireless charger because my phone couldn't get a GPS signal, Waze was all over the place until I took my phone out of the charger.

Last edited by wildta; 12-07-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450 SUV 2020
Unhappy Hotspot Drive Necessity?

I'm confused. I have a 2020 GLE5450 and when the 3 year free connectivity was up, I was led to believe that in order to maintain data connectivity to the vehicle for system updates such as maps and MBUX I needed to establish a data contract with Daimler-NA through T-Mobile. I did this (after a lot of going back and forth between the dealer and Daimler-NA) in July 2022 when I signed up for 1Gb/mo. I now looked back at my past data usage and its zero! I've never used any data through Daimler-NA but my vehicle's system and maps are up-to-date.

Is the data contract only for the vehicle's hotspot? I've been trying to get an answer from my local dealer for two weeks and no one will return a call.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by davebarrie
I'm confused. I have a 2020 GLE5450 and when the 3 year free connectivity was up, I was led to believe that in order to maintain data connectivity to the vehicle for system updates such as maps and MBUX I needed to establish a data contract with Daimler-NA through T-Mobile. I did this (after a lot of going back and forth between the dealer and Daimler-NA) in July 2022 when I signed up for 1Gb/mo. I now looked back at my past data usage and its zero! I've never used any data through Daimler-NA but my vehicle's system and maps are up-to-date.

Is the data contract only for the vehicle's hotspot? I've been trying to get an answer from my local dealer for two weeks and no one will return a call.
Yes you signed up for a data plan solely to be used for the hotspot feature. What you need to sign up for is Mercedes me connect. https://www.mbusa.com/en/mercedes-me-connect
The following users liked this post:
davebarrie (01-17-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 gle 450
I would recommend getting all the firmware/software updated with mbux. I know the last time I had my GLE 450 in, they did a bunch of updates.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:49 PM

MBUX

Originally Posted by sputnic6
I would recommend getting all the firmware/software updated with mbux. I know the last time I had my GLE 450 in, they did a bunch of updates.
Thanks! My car is at the dealer today to update & re-set everything, again
Old 01-26-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 135 Likes on 96 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Re: cell reception

I believe these cars actually have wireless external antenna coupling when you put your phone onto the wireless charging pad. Hypothetically. it should improve the signal. In practice, I believe it needs the phone to lay FLAT on the pad for the coupling to be effective. Without this coupling, the reception is affected. The iphones (and probably other modern phones?) don't lay flat anymore due to cameras, which affect wireless coupling and wireless charging.

The way Apple cheated here is by introducing "MagSafe" for wireless charging so the phone magnetically couples at the right spot but MagSafe connector is raised and not in a form of a flag pad anymore and it's not a factory option.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:08 PM

GLE 450 Isues

Thanks to all who replied to my original post regarding my adaptive cruise control problem

After six (6) trips to my dealer, the problem has been cured. The root cause after replacing all cameras, sensors, etc it was the buttons on the steering wheel that control the adaptive cruise.

buttons were not fully making contact with the system which explains why it worked on occasion. I even drove it in a minor snow storm up to Lake Tahoe & it worked flawlessly.

Even after the factory warranty expired on 12/30/23, the dealer took it back twice until they got it right!
Old 02-19-2024, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,199 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Thanks to all who replied to my original post regarding my adaptive cruise control problem

After six (6) trips to my dealer, the problem has been cured. The root cause after replacing all cameras, sensors, etc it was the buttons on the steering wheel that control the adaptive cruise.

buttons were not fully making contact with the system which explains why it worked on occasion. I even drove it in a minor snow storm up to Lake Tahoe & it worked flawlessly.

Even after the factory warranty expired on 12/30/23, the dealer took it back twice until they got it right!
As it should be, since you reported the problem while it was in warranty.

That's the legal requirement.
It's also the reason you should go over your car with a fine tooth comb a month or so before the warranty expires - so you can report any deficiencies during the warranty period.

I have My dealer go over the car in that last month. They are happy to do that, it might find a hidden problem, and it might give them some work.

Last edited by mikapen; 02-19-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 350
Originally Posted by mikapen
As it should be, since you reported the problem while it was in warranty.

That's the legal requirement.
It's also the reason you should go over your car with a fine tooth comb a month or so before the warranty expires - so you can report any deficiencies during the warranty period.

I have My dealer go over the car in that last month. They are happy to do that, it might find a hidden problem, and it might give them some work.

Is this your state specific or nationwide?

My AC went out in my 2020 GLE over the summer, less than 500 miles before the warranty was out, and still is not fixed correctly. They tried to give it back the first time with it not working and I took it right back. The second time the vehicle was done the AC was working for a while, but I could tell there was a slight difference after a few weeks. I was scheduled to bring it back in the shop to be looked at, but I had been rearended (very minor, for my vehicle anyway), and was then out of my vehicle for 2 months (took it to a shop that fixed luxury vehicles with OEM parts), and it was December by the time I got it back, but in running the heat there was a noticeable difference in the driver's side verses the passenger side. I was about to address those concerns and then all of my engine troubles started, so I took it in for that and asked about the AC/Heat but was told by the dealer that did the work that it's out of warranty and it would be a separate diagnostic fee to look at that issue. The next dealer I went to said the parts they worked on would be under warrant, but nothing else.

Living in Texas the AC is about to be really important, so that is my next battle with this vehicle, but I am also wondering if this has to do with the drain hose recall, last year and how that can play into this. I am pretty sure as a result of the AC issue my SIM card stopped working and my Apple Car play port has shorted out. I asked them to look at the port not thinking about the correlation, and they said it was user error and tried to charge me over $800 to fix.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I'm looking for some suggestions on the following issues with my '20 450GLE with 39k & almost out of warranty.

3. And most frustrating of all - the adaptive cruise randomly stops working with an error message displayed saying "currently unavailable & camera view restricted" with a digital picture of two cars hitting each other. This occurs with the exterior of the car clean & if I pull over & shut the car off, then re-start, the system works as normal for another 10 or so drives until it re-occurs. Dealer has replaced the camera behind the rearview mirror, but the problem continues; last time it was in for service the tech said he was "unable to duplicate" the issue.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
This was happening to me several times a day as well as Auto-highbeam not available. However, Dashcam and AR were fine.
Dealer fixed everything last week; covered under extended warranty. Sometimes it helps to show them the error message.

Last edited by TonyF61; 03-08-2024 at 12:12 PM.