Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
insane to own a EV

keep your petrol vehicles!

Old 12-15-2023, 11:45 PM

Received 403 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I posted this on Bimmerpost, it’s applies here too.

—————————-

What a nightmare for this individual, but you can’t extrapolate this experience to all EVs.

First this was a Hyundia/Kia product, and their dealers are notorious for poor customer service—the dealership should have contacted Corp before writing off the battery - this was admitted by the Kia spokesman they contacted.

Two, assuming the battery should have been totaled (this is not clear, implication is this was an overreaction by the dealer who should’ve contacted corporate to tell them what to do); then this vehicle has an obvious design flaw. The protective cover under the car is not strong enough, as what appears to be a minor undercarriage impact (video never said what he ran over) should not have resulted in the battery being totaled. The vehicle still worked fine, the dealer totaled the battery for “safety reasons” - we think the cover may have deformed enough to hit the battery (the protective cover was deformed a little, but there was space between it and the battery, so it may not have); and therefore the battery may have been damaged. If the battery has damage - it is possible it could result in a runaway discharge and a battery fire. Therefore to be safe you need to replace the battery, and since it was caused by an object in the road the replacement is not covered by the warranty.

I call BS, if that is the case, then the protective cover is not sufficient, it has a design flaw. Unfortunately, he would have to get an attorney and litigate. I have no doubt he would eventually win, and that likely would have resulted in Hyundai settling out of court to avoid the litigation.

Lastly, and more importantly, this is why I would not buy a Hyundai/Kia product. I purchased a Tesla. It is a better design and the battery only costs [$10,000 -$12,000] to replace. Moreover, Tesla has a supercharging infrastructure network (for their vehicles) which the others do not and it is easier to use than filling up at a gas station. Just plug it in and walk away — go to the bathroom and get something to drink. By the time you’re done, it is done charging and it is automatically billed to your account. I had my doubts too, until I actually tried it. That said if you can’t charge your EV or PHEV at home don’t bother getting one — they are not for you and they will be much less convenient than filling up an ICE car at a gas station.

Last edited by TexAg91; 12-16-2023 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 12:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,692 Likes on 2,289 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by TexAg91

—————————-

What a nightmare for this individual, but you can’t extrapolate this experience to all EVs.

First this was a Hyundia/Kia product, and their dealers are notorious for poor customer service—the dealership should have contacted Corp before writing off the battery - this was admitted by the Kia spokesman they contacted.

Two, assuming the battery should have been totaled (this is not clear, implication is this was an overreaction by the dealer who should’ve contacted corporate to tell them what to do); then this vehicle has an obvious design flaw. The protective cover under the car is not strong enough, as what appears to be a minor undercarriage impact (video never said what he ran over) should not have resulted in the battery being totaled. The vehicle still worked fine, the dealer totaled the battery for “safety reasons” - we think the cover may have deformed enough to hit the battery (the protective cover was deformed a little, but there was space between it and the battery, so it may not have); and therefore the battery may have been damaged. If the battery has damage - it is possible it could result in a runaway discharge and a battery fire. Therefore to be safe you need to replace the battery, and since it was caused by an object in the road the replacement is not covered by the warranty.

I call BS, if that is the case, then the protective cover is not sufficient, it has a design flaw. Unfortunately, he would have to get an attorney and litigate. I have no doubt he would eventually win, and that likely would have resulted in Hyundai settling out of court to avoid the litigation.

Lastly, and more importantly, this is why I would not buy a Hyundai/Kia product. I purchased a Tesla. It is a better design and the battery only costs $10,000 to replace. Moreover, Tesla has a supercharging infrastructure network (for their vehicles) which the others do not and it is easier to use than filling up at a gas station. Just plug it in and walk away — go to the bathroom and get something to drink. By the time you’re done, it is done charging and it is automatically billed to your account. I had my doubts too, until I actually tried it. That said if you can’t charge your EV or PHEV at home don’t bother getting one — they are not for you and they will be much less convenient than filling up an ICE car at a gas station.
Thanks for the post, for reference, according to another forum member 90K USD to replace battery module on the EQS SUV: https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...ml#post8858790
Old 12-16-2023, 03:30 AM

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
You don't ever own a Battery powered vehicle... you own the hardware but license the software that makes it go. That means someone else can always brick your vehicle for any reason
Old 12-16-2023, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

—————————-

Lastly, and more importantly, this is why I would not buy a Hyundai/Kia product. I purchased a Tesla. It is a better design and the battery only costs $10,000 to replace. Moreover, Tesla has a supercharging infrastructure network (for their vehicles) which the others do not and it is easier to use than filling up at a gas station. Just plug it in and walk away — go to the bathroom and get something to drink. By the time you’re done, it is done charging and it is automatically billed to your account. I had my doubts too, until I actually tried it. That said if you can’t charge your EV or PHEV at home don’t bother getting one — they are not for you and they will be much less convenient than filling up an ICE car at a gas station.
Where the hell did you find a $10k tesla battery? A model 3 battery replacement here in Canada is in the north of $25k. Replacement cost of a EQS battery is at the north of $60k as confirmed by a service manager who is a close friend of mine. No matter how you look at it owning an EV is a waste. Insurance cost of a Model 3 is higher than a C63 AMG. I also asked the same thing to my friend about damage on the battery pack and he said the same thing. If the battery pack gets damaged by outside forces warranty is kaput. Guess what he still drives a 2015 E550 and wont let go of it. That tells you a lot already.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L

—————————-

LOL, Hyundai, KIA and Genesis service sux. But I can get a 576 HP EV6 GT for $40,000 less than the equivalent MB EQE 500.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

—————————-

And gas prices should be $7 a gallon given how much tanks and jet fighter use. It's only because oil and gas is a complete and total racket in which prices are artificially fixed that inflation appears to be low. Inflation actually ticked up a little if you remove energy from the equation.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

—————————-

Oh, and lithium prices are down 81% year-to-date and unlike gas those prices are driven by actual supply and demand.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Where the hell did you find a $10k tesla battery? A model 3 battery replacement here in Canada is in the north of $25k. Replacement cost of a EQS battery is at the north of $60k as confirmed by a service manager who is a close friend of mine. No matter how you look at it owning an EV is a waste. Insurance cost of a Model 3 is higher than a C63 AMG. I also asked the same thing to my friend about damage on the battery pack and he said the same thing. If the battery pack gets damaged by outside forces warranty is kaput. Guess what he still drives a 2015 E550 and wont let go of it. That tells you a lot already.
I own a Model Y — price varies by model

Tesla Battery replacement cost explained

BTW, the insurance on my 2023 model Y is $567.46 for 6-months (USAA), less than on my wife’s BMW.

Last edited by TexAg91; 12-16-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by whitewagon
You don't ever own a Battery powered vehicle... you own the hardware but license the software that makes it go. That means someone else can always brick your vehicle for any reason
Where is that stipulated in the contract
signed when you purchase the vehicle? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me — my attorney would beg to differ.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Crito
LOL, Hyundai, KIA and Genesis service sux. But I can get a 576 HP EV6 GT for $40,000 less than the equivalent MB EQE 500.
Yes, and despite consumer reports rave reviews about the "reliability," Hyundai is still the second most recalled vehicle behind Ford.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:15 PM

signed when you purchase the vehicle? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me — my attorney would beg to differ.
go ahead... check...

A good friend's buddy had a minor fender bender...fully drivable, literally a crunched bumper...Tesla rendered the car inoperable until it was repaired, by Tesla, at a cost of over $12,000. A comparable repair on another vehicle would have been under $1000 for repair and respray.

Good luck

Old 12-16-2023, 01:59 PM

go ahead... check...

A good friend's buddy had a minor fender bender...fully drivable, literally a crunched bumper...Tesla rendered the car inoperable until it was repaired, by Tesla, at a cost of over $12,000. A comparable repair on another vehicle would have been under $1000 for repair and respray.

Good luck
…and that is legal?
Old 12-16-2023, 02:01 PM

go ahead... check...

Good luck
Did he buy or lease the vehicle from Tesla?
Old 12-16-2023, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
…and that is legal?
Without a "right to repair," yes.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:39 PM

lol This has been educational. Thanks for the information. I see this is more about Tesla not giving up their data rights for all the repair work and I guess spare parts. I also see they have a class action suit against them. Tesla’s not the only one, but I do see the point it is rather monopolistic. I suppose you could also argue it’s for safety — less somebody fails to repair the car correctly and replace a damage battery and it results in a fire.

I’d want my model Y repaired by Tesla anyway. However I do see the issue if it’s just a fender bender. Why be forced to take it to Tesla just to replace and spray a fender?

Last edited by TexAg91; 12-16-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right to Repair

I was partially incorrect about Right to Repair.

A Right to Repair is broader, and adds the release of formerly restricted - vehicle records including data readings etc.
That's why there's a place on MeMercedes to download data to Massachusetts Indy shops. Now there's two more States.
Colorado just legislated it for farm equipment.
Here's California's announcement.

https://pirg.org/california/articles...0over%20repair.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:46 PM

I don't know the details of the issues related to right to repair but there are recent lawsuits etc. that include Tesla and Rivian...

Feel free to look them up... seems to be lots of issues
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...0(EV)%20market.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:17 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleante...e-driving/amp/

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...104-story.html

Old 12-16-2023, 08:35 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
Yes, lithium demand is down, is the reason the price is down. Much like copper prices are down this year.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol This has been educational. Thanks for the information. I see this is more about Tesla not giving up their data rights for all the repair work and I guess spare parts. I also see they have a class action suit against them. Tesla’s not the only one, but I do see the point it is rather monopolistic. I suppose you could also argue it’s for safety — less somebody fails to repair the car correctly and replace a damage battery and it results in a fire.

I’d want my model Y repaired by Tesla anyway. However I do see the issue if it’s just a fender bender. Why be forced to take it to Tesla just to replace and spray a fender?
One of my clients owns a body shop and repairing a tesla is like a nightmare as you need to go through like a needle's hole to get replacement parts. Sometimes it takes 4-6 months just to get replacement parts so they go to the wrecker and they get it quicker. Tesla really limits 3rd party repairs unless you get a certification from them.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:42 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
That video is nonsense; the guy damaged his car, warranty was correctly declined, insurance came good but the owner wasn’t happy with the offer. Happens all the time. Unit price of the parts is irrelevant.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:44 PM

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Aggie57
That video is nonsense; the guy damaged his car, warranty was correctly declined, insurance came good but the owner wasn’t happy with the offer. Happens all the time. Unit price of the parts is irrelevant.
He "allegedly" damaged one part of the car, which costs as much as the car. Vehicle price includes labor, R&D, materials, other operational and capital expenses, manufacturers margin. The battery alone should not cost that much. Such replacements are not sustainable neither for buyers nor insurers, it's also a waste. Hit a rock in ICE car, replace whatever you hit if it was in fact damaged. Hit a rock in Hyundai EV - total the car, regardless if battery is damaged or not.

No, thank you.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:54 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts
2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
Originally Posted by stktyz33
He "allegedly" damaged one part of the car, which costs as much as the car. Vehicle price includes labor, R&D, materials, other operational and capital expenses, manufacturers margin. The battery alone should not cost that much. Such replacements are not sustainable neither for buyers nor insurers, it's also a waste. Hit a rock in ICE car, replace whatever you hit if it was in fact damaged. Hit a rock in Hyundai EV - total the car, regardless if battery is damaged or not.

No, thank you.
He didn't 'allegedly' damage the car, he stated as much at the very start of the video and that's why he took it to the dealer. Part costs retail are way more than the component prices for the initial manufacturer, it's standard across the industry and has been so forever. My neighbour recently drove over a rock in his Mercedes SL, ripped the sump open and the cost to repair was $55k. The insurance company wrote it off just like this Kia. To look at the car you wouldn't know it was damaged.

Zack on Motormouth is a Toyota fan, he follows the Toyota party line and does not like EV's.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:07 PM

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Aggie57
He didn't 'allegedly' damage the car, he stated as much at the very start of the video and that's why he took it to the dealer. Part costs retail are way more than the component prices for the initial manufacturer, it's standard across the industry and has been so forever. My neighbour recently drove over a rock in his Mercedes SL, ripped the sump open and the cost to repair was $55k. The insurance company wrote it off just like this Kia. To look at the car you wouldn't know it was damaged.

Zack on Motormouth is a Toyota fan, he follows the Toyota party line and does not like EV's.
What I meant is that the part he was asked to pay for - the battery, was never confirmed to actually be damaged. That's why it's "allegedly". To your point, the parts do cost more than they wholesaled price to the manufacturer, the price quoted is just absurd though, no matter how to you put it.

"My neighbour recently drove over a rock in his Mercedes SL, ripped the sump open and the cost to repair was $55k" ~~ it's hard to comment without the actual quote. If what you're saying is correct, it's still 2-3 times (depending on a model) less than the cost of new SL vehicle, MB SL is not Hyundai and surface area of the sump is likely smaller than that of EV battery, so statistically saying, the damage you're describing is less likely.

Last edited by stktyz33; 12-18-2023 at 03:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: insane to own a EV