GLE 450e: Warning Lights - "Performance Extremely Limited"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 974 Likes on 748 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by jkaetz
Standard behavior. No one accepts fault for anything, if they do it will be used against them in court. I doubt the design engineers are clueless, but they aren't the ones solving issues like this nor do they have the power to fix it. I imagine the process looks something like this:
  1. Engineers design something
  2. It's too expensive
  3. Parts are changed
  4. Test to see that most of the time it works for 4 - 8 years
  5. Mass produce vehicle
  6. Issues arise and customers go to the dealer
  7. Dealer techs start changing parts, customers left out to dry
I see a loop on 1-4 continually altering the original design. Then 5 introduces quality control issues. The poor dealer techs are stuck between the customer and sometimes an engineer that likely can't keep track of all the revisions to the original design. And this is ignoring the software engineering that goes into things now days. IMO this cycle isn't limited to MB or even auto manufacturing. It's everywhere a complex piece of equipment is produced and sold to customers.
When I was working in engineering, cost reduction was a process of removing parts one-by-one, until the product stopped working. Then, that last part removed would be put back in (lol).
Old 03-21-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by kj1093
My dealership actually told me that they found the issue was related to a faulty coolant pump. They said they are ordering a coolant pump from MB germany
Mine told me the same thing on the second attempt to fix the issue. Same problem occurred within 5 miles of dealership from picking it up.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:53 PM

2005 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by dwestdog
Has anyone had any success getting this fixed yet? Mine has been at the dealership for well over a month and apparently there is at least one more car in their possession with the same problem. First about a month ago it was "we're waiting for some parts to come from Germany that should be here at the end of the week", and then last week "waiting on a parts that should be here at the end of March". Perhaps they're not being truthful and it's really a known software issue?
Funny - they are using the exact same lines on me. My car is in for the third and final time. I have a case open with MBUSA requesting a buy back. My car is out of service almost 30 days just on this third repair attempt. They have two choices - buy it back or deal with lemon law attorney.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 PM

2005 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by kj1093
My dealership actually told me that they found the issue was related to a faulty coolant pump. They said they are ordering a coolant pump from MB germany
That will not fix anything. They have already done that to mine as well as claiming to have found some wiring issue, coolant leaks, pump issues, etc. Problem came back immediately.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLE 450e
Yes the wiring issue, coolant leaks, pump issues are the exact things they told me and apparently "parts from Germany" take at least 6 weeks to get?!?! How did you get that claim started with MBUSA started to request a buy back? I have yet to hear anyone with this problem get it fixed yet.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:06 PM

GLE450e
So, after about 60 days we just got the car back. Believe it or not the issue has not yet reappeared after several days of driving.

Last edited by Guardbum3794; 03-21-2024 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Husker4theSpurs (04-03-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 07:35 PM

2024 GLE 450e
That's great to hear and thanks for the update.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:09 AM

2005 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by Guardbum3794
So, after about 60 days we just got the car back. Believe it or not the issue has not yet reappeared after several days of driving.
The second time that I got my car back within 1-2 days the "Performance Extremely Limited" messages started to appear and then within the week it was back in limp mode with check engine light on. This was after parts replacement, cooling pumps, wiring, etc.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:48 PM

GLE 450e
Has any one gotten theirs back? How are they running? Mine got fixed on Monday after several weeks in service.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:07 PM

2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by thecadillacboy
Has any one gotten theirs back? How are they running? Mine got fixed on Monday after several weeks in service.
I still haven't got mine back yet. About 6 weeks ago "parts from Germany should be here towards end of March". Then unfortunately yesterday morning from the service manager at my local Mercedes dealership "still waiting on 3 essential parts. Parts show back ordered with no ETA." So I'm left hanging. Losing hope but at the same time perhaps still have some hope knowing a couple have got their cars back and not reporting further issues. Cadikid would be awesome if you kept me posted on how it's going for you.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:26 PM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Originally Posted by dwestdog
I still haven't got mine back yet. About 6 weeks ago "parts from Germany should be here towards end of March". Then unfortunately yesterday morning from the service manager at my local Mercedes dealership "still waiting on 3 essential parts. Parts show back ordered with no ETA." So I'm left hanging. Losing hope but at the same time perhaps still have some hope knowing a couple have got their cars back and not reporting further issues. Cadikid would be awesome if you kept me posted on how it's going for you.
I would have started working on a buy back by now. What did they give you to drive while your 450e is out of service?
Old 03-28-2024, 05:35 PM

2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I would have started working on a buy back by now. What did they give you to drive while your 450e is out of service?
They gave me a brand new 50 miles on it 2024 GLB AMG. That was all they had at the second but did offer to get me into another GLE in a couple of days if I wanted one. The GLB has been "fun" but yes looking to get my car back.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:11 PM

GLE 450e
I've had mine back for a week. Going well so far.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:20 PM

2024 GLE 450e
Originally Posted by thecadillacboy
I've had mine back for a week. Going well so far.
I super appreciate the update. This is giving me hope!
Old 04-02-2024, 04:00 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
My EQB is in shop for third time with "sensors disabled" and first time with Performance Extremely Limited. Based on the sensors, going for buy back and I think it is best just to start with the lemon law attorney. MBUSA will do absolutely nothing for consumer other than delay, obfuscate and deny. Attorney will be much more effective.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2022 GLE450
There is a recall for this I believe. I received a notice today.

A recall notice came today about a software update. I’ve scheduled with dealership for this week.

QUOTE=thecadillacboy;8919096]Hey,

Mine's in the shop and they are having trouble diagnosing the problem; they're focused on the coolant systems. It has 4k miles on it. Has anyone else seen or hear about this one?

Check Engine light is on. Turtle Light is on. Notification says "Performance Extremely Limited"[/QUOTE]
t
Old 04-03-2024, 08:55 AM

2024 GLE450E
Performance Extremely Limited

So what is the fix? In Canada we don't have the best lemon laws but this is extremely disheartening. My "performance extremely limited" window came up when applying the brakes on Electronic or Hybrid mode. The turtle and engine icons came up, then I switch to Battery Hold mode and the turtle icon goes off and the engine light remains on. Battery level doesn't seem to matter - 20-100% charged. Its tripped when the brakes are applied. Now, its in the shop with the technicians trying to re-create the symptoms with the computer attached to the car while driving. Total 2 x and 5 days so far and I'm in a loaner. Do we have a definitive fix? Please respond, thanks everyone.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
What is especially annoying about problems such as this is that somewhere deep in the bowels of the world's greatest car company (as in "the best or nothing") some software engineer constructed some fault detection code that evaluates the status of several sensors that make an algorithmic determination of the vehicle's unfit to drive normally state. This fault information was subsequently (a) never documented, (b) never published, (c) never communicated to dealerships, (d) never taught to service techs, or (e) more than one of (a) through (d). Apparently nobody in engineering saw any value in using fault detection for anything but disabling the vehicle so it could remain parked indefinitely at a dealership.

I worked with software engineers throughout my career, and miraculously avoided assaulting any of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
ChasBol (04-03-2024), jkaetz (04-10-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:39 AM

2024 GLE450E
Sounds like the reason. Hopefully there is a fix.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by streborx
What is especially annoying about problems such as this is that somewhere deep in the bowels of the world's greatest car company (as in "the best or nothing") some software engineer constructed some fault detection code that evaluates the status of several sensors that make an algorithmic determination of the vehicle's unfit to drive normally state. This fault information was subsequently (a) never documented, (b) never published, (c) never communicated to dealerships, (d) never taught to service techs, or (e) more than one of (a) through (d). Apparently nobody in engineering saw any value in using fault detection for anything but disabling the vehicle so it could remain parked indefinitely at a dealership.

I worked with software engineers throughout my career, and miraculously avoided assaulting any of them.
While I agree that software engineers have forgotten how to program (now they call it "coding," which is just plugging in subroutines and hoping they work without excessive computing load), I don't think failures are as predictable as you say.

Or that It's software, not hardware.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by mikapen
While I agree that software engineers have forgotten how to program (now they call it "coding," which is just plugging in subroutines and hoping they work without excessive computing load), I don't think failures are as predictable as you say.

Or that It's software, not hardware.
I agree failures are not predictable, but when sensors and software report a fault, the fault has to be traceable to its source. If an error code produces meaningless information as to its origin and cause, it has no value.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:11 AM

GLE450e
Sad to say the fix didn't last. The last (second attempt - 60 days) fix involved removing the complete front subframe to replace "power electronics", that was after replacing all the coolant pumps and radiators and reflash at the first attempt. Still getting all three lights/messages but they appear to occur in very specific conditions. High humidity (active rain or damp), slight road downgrade, mild brake application. Pedal drops a few inches, brakes don't seem to grab effectively and dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The brakes do work its just the muscle memory of how hard you need to apply the brakes goes out the window when the pedal drops. Release brakes, problem goes away and may or may not recur. This is happening consistently on the same stretch of commute in inclement weather conditions and sporadically in similar conditions but not on the commute road. Two days ago it happened to me as I pulled in to a gas station, damp out, slight downhill parking lot, slowing for parking and thought I was going to hit the concrete post protecting the storefront when the brake pedal dropped on me. Sun out and problem seems to not be there. Beyond frustrated but highly curious if anyone else has noticed a "pattern" of when this occurs. It is always damp out and downgrade when it happens to us it seems.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:19 AM

GLE 450e
Hate to hear that for you. Mine has worked for a few days now. Watching closely. I'm emotionally prepared for it to break again.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:12 AM

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Sad to say the fix didn't last. The last (second attempt - 60 days) fix involved removing the complete front subframe to replace "power electronics", that was after replacing all the coolant pumps and radiators and reflash at the first attempt. Still getting all three lights/messages but they appear to occur in very specific conditions. High humidity (active rain or damp), slight road downgrade, mild brake application. Pedal drops a few inches, brakes don't seem to grab effectively and dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The brakes do work its just the muscle memory of how hard you need to apply the brakes goes out the window when the pedal drops. Release brakes, problem goes away and may or may not recur. This is happening consistently on the same stretch of commute in inclement weather conditions and sporadically in similar conditions but not on the commute road. Two days ago it happened to me as I pulled in to a gas station, damp out, slight downhill parking lot, slowing for parking and thought I was going to hit the concrete post protecting the storefront when the brake pedal dropped on me. Sun out and problem seems to not be there. Beyond frustrated but highly curious if anyone else has noticed a "pattern" of when this occurs. It is always damp out and downgrade when it happens to us it seems.
Interesting, that sounds like a regenerative braking fault as the initial pedal travel should be using regen braking and then engage the friction brakes if you continue to press or some combination pressure and time. If it's that reproduceable they should at least be able to log it and begin tracking it down.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:50 PM

2024 GLE 450e
That's super sad to hear it didn't work out. Mine is still in the shop. I'm in the Seattle area and thus we have a lot of hills. Although I haven't really notice the humidity (always raining here anyway), I will say in my case which has been roughly 30 times that I've got this error, it has always been when braking going down a long hill. It's typically not a hard brake but a slow long break. Leaving my house to get to the freeway, there's a hill where I'm braking for roughly 15 seconds and roughly 50% of the time it happens towards the very bottom of this hill. Though I have had it once where I was on the freeway on flat ground just king of coasting. Unfortunately I'm still "around 2 weeks away" to get those parts from Germany. They have had it for probably 60 days now. The head of the service department a few days ago ensured me that Mercedes absolutely knows what the problem is and the solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450e: Warning Lights - "Performance Extremely Limited"