GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE450e Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2024 MB GLS450
GLE450e Build

Hello all, I am curious to see what everyone thinks of my build, and if I need to add anything else, or remove something. Since I am paying such a high price, I’d also want the most comfort possible, so I selected acoustic comfort and AIRMATIC. Have those two been worth it in most experiences? I just want a ride that glides and very comfortable, with a quiet cabin. Also, not sure why the rims that I picked aren’t showing on the vehicle in the configuration. I also added the tow hitch as apparently that increases resale I heard? https://www.mbusa.com/en/share/build/A43R98

Old 03-02-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Looks like an excellent build and very nicely optioned.

I have airmatic and can attest to it being comfortable (soft and floaty would be my description). Have had airmatic in 4 M/Bs now and will always opt for it.

Acoustic comfort and soft close, I don't have equipped in my GLE but do have it in my S-class, there is a difference in overall noise but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. However at the combined cost of $1650 if it were included on a build when I was purchasing I would have taken it.

Trailer hitch, previous SUV didn't have it, current GLE does. I highly recommend it even if you don't tow, Ive been using a storage platforms which opens up a substantial amount of trunk space, have one senior dog and may be getting another. Stroller, wagon, storage containers, cooler goes on the rack for the periodic road trip and its been a game changer. Never knew how beneficial it was to have until actually having it. I have a roof rack also but the hitch mount is much easier to utilize.

Possible option skip/add but none are deal breakers if included or not:
Wheel locks, they'll be silver/grey, the other wheel bolts will be black. I skipped it, could consider aftermarket option.

First aid kit, I skipped it, plenty of better equipped kits out there.

I would add the warmth & comfort package for an additional $575, the panel heating (door cards, center console) is very nice. I could skip the rear seat heating unless kids or rear passengers are there frequently (kids run hot anyway).

Four zone climate control, I have it, don't really use it to its full potential, the front/rear climate stays set within 68-72 degrees, rarely if ever gets adjusted to individual preferences.

The following users liked this post:
450Benz123 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:01 PM

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by vincheung
Ive been using a storage platforms which opens up a substantial amount of trunk space, have one senior dog and may be getting another. Stroller, wagon, storage containers, cooler goes on the rack for the periodic road trip and its been a game changer. Never knew how beneficial it was to have until actually having it.
Would you mind sharing what storage platform(s) you use? With 3 young kids all under 5yo (including newborn), the trunk is basically for strollers and accessories, so road trips have become more difficult since cargo space is limited
Old 03-02-2024, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580

Trailer hitch, previous SUV didn't have it, current GLE does. I highly recommend it even if you don't tow, Ive been using a storage platforms which opens up a substantial amount of trunk space, have one senior dog and may be getting another. Stroller, wagon, storage containers, cooler goes on the rack for the periodic road trip and its been a game changer. Never knew how beneficial it was to have until actually having it. I have a roof rack also but the hitch mount is much easier to utilize.
What trailer storage system are you using? Would be good to know for future reference. Why not a roof carrier system?
Old 03-02-2024, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by 450Benz123
Hello all, I am curious to see what everyone thinks of my build, and if I need to add anything else, or remove something. Since I am paying such a high price, I’d also want the most comfort possible, so I selected acoustic comfort and AIRMATIC. Have those two been worth it in most experiences? I just want a ride that glides and very comfortable, with a quiet cabin. Also, not sure why the rims that I picked aren’t showing on the vehicle in the configuration. I also added the tow hitch as apparently that increases resale I heard? https://www.mbusa.com/en/share/build/A43R98
Are 20" rims an option? It'll give you a tad bit more sidewall for additional comfort. If you're looking to keep price down, I'd remove the rear climate control and seat heater unless you frequently drive with a lot of rear passengers. If that's the case then it seems worthwhile to get the rear airbags for their safety too. Running boards look nice but are useless unless you have small kids or have to jump over big puddles and slush when parking; personally I'd get them again only for aesthetics. I don't think soft close is worth it unless you have small kids, helps avoid slamming the door if they are sleeping and if they aren't strong enough to fully shut the door. I use it *sometimes* because I have it but otherwise wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. It's probably one of those features where if you had it in the past, you got used to it and want it again. The exclusive trim seems worthwhile just because of the better Burmeister system which I think is adequate so I can't imagine what the base system is like. I'd remove the spoiler since it's mostly aesthetics, it can always be added later. Maybe others can chime in about the MBTex dash trim. If you live in a cold climate then warmth and comfort package plus heated arm rests are worthwhile.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:26 AM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
@wildta & @maalox , made a new thread to answer your questions.
The following 3 users liked this post by vincheung:
maalox (03-03-2024), mikapen (03-03-2024), wildta (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by wildta
Are 20" rims an option? It'll give you a tad bit more sidewall for additional comfort. If you're looking to keep price down, I'd remove the rear climate control and seat heater unless you frequently drive with a lot of rear passengers. If that's the case then it seems worthwhile to get the rear airbags for their safety too. Running boards look nice but are useless unless you have small kids or have to jump over big puddles and slush when parking; personally I'd get them again only for aesthetics. I don't think soft close is worth it unless you have small kids, helps avoid slamming the door if they are sleeping and if they aren't strong enough to fully shut the door. I use it *sometimes* because I have it but otherwise wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. It's probably one of those features where if you had it in the past, you got used to it and want it again. The exclusive trim seems worthwhile just because of the better Burmeister system which I think is adequate so I can't imagine what the base system is like. I'd remove the spoiler since it's mostly aesthetics, it can always be added later. Maybe others can chime in about the MBTex dash trim. If you live in a cold climate then warmth and comfort package plus heated arm rests are worthwhile.
I live in Georgia, so I guess the warmth and comfort isn’t worth it. Also, I do often carry adults in the rear, so I will keep the rear climate and seat heater. And in that case…since you suggested, I will add the rear airbags. The main reason why I added the pinnacle trim is because of heads up display, and the projector lights rather than reflectors…however, wish those were standalone options like MY23 GLE. I may consider doing 20” and removing running boards. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:25 AM

Talking

Looks like an excellent build and very nicely optioned.

I have airmatic and can attest to it being comfortable (soft and floaty would be my description). Have had airmatic in 4 M/Bs now and will always opt for it.

Acoustic comfort and soft close, I don't have equipped in my GLE but do have it in my S-class, there is a difference in overall noise but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. However at the combined cost of $1650 if it were included on a build when I was purchasing I would have taken it.

Possible option skip/add but none are deal breakers if included or not:
Wheel locks, they'll be silver/grey, the other wheel bolts will be black. I skipped it, could consider aftermarket option.

First aid kit, I skipped it, plenty of better equipped kits out there.

I would add the warmth & comfort package for an additional $575, the panel heating (door cards, center console) is very nice. I could skip the rear seat heating unless kids or rear passengers are there frequently (kids run hot anyway).

Four zone climate control, I have it, don't really use it to its full potential, the front/rear climate stays set within 68-72 degrees, rarely if ever gets adjusted to individual preferences.
I’ll remove first aid kit, and I’m strongly thinking on the warmth and comfort, I’ll need some time to make up my mind. Thanks so much.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:27 AM

Talking

@wildta & @maalox , made a new thread to answer your questions.
They were helpful as well as you, thanks. I have one more question however, do you think the prepaid maintenance package is worth it?
Old 03-03-2024, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
They were helpful as well as you, thanks. I have one more question however, do you think the prepaid maintenance package is worth it?
Based on my past research and the dealer prices for services A and B, it only made sense to get a PPM with a lease where you can roll it into the MSRP because then you're only paying the depreciation percentage of the package and the residual percentage gets rolled back to the dealer. Sometimes it makes sense to get the PPM and only use it for B A B services since B costs more. Dealer service pages typically have service coupons and your preferred maintenance dealer will typically price match any local dealer so take that into account when comparing costs.
The following users liked this post:
450Benz123 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:43 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by wildta
Based on my past research and the dealer prices for services A and B, it only made sense to get a PPM with a lease where you can roll it into the MSRP because then you're only paying the depreciation percentage of the package and the residual percentage gets rolled back to the dealer. Sometimes it makes sense to get the PPM and only use it for B A B services since B costs more. Dealer service pages typically have service coupons and your preferred maintenance dealer will typically price match any local dealer so take that into account when comparing costs.
Okay so from what I’m understanding, use it for B A B service rather than A B A? I will do that, thanks.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,199 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Okay so from what I’m understanding, use it for B A B service rather than A B A? I will do that, thanks.
That's likely a good strategy.

But it's simple math, based on your current mileage, number of services covered, and the cost of the plan versus current service pricing.
Your service advisor can help you make the comparison.

There is usually a savings with PPM, but if you anticipate higher shop rates in the future, then it's a savings.