GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

wheel locks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 S580
wheel locks

My new GLE 450 came with wheel locks, a $150 option. Does anyone still use these? I'd rather not have them even if free. Can't remember hearing about anyone whose wheels were stolen. And where to keep the "key"? If the thieves wanted to steal only the wheels, they'd break the window and take the key out of the glove compartment, right?
I have this image of me trying to change a tire at night and unable to figure out how to use the wheel lock.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:56 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
You are correct. Wheel locks are only preventing the owner from taking off the wheel, not the thief. Wheel locks do nothing to prevent theft.
if they want your wheels they are getting them. Personally I have not used wheel locks on any of my cars which have expensive forged wheels and no wheel locks.

Years ago it was a theft deterrent, and dealers or special wheel shops only had your key code type. Now its $5 online for a universal set.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:58 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2025 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by Portmanteau
My new GLE 450 came with wheel locks, a $150 option. Does anyone still use these? I'd rather not have them even if free. Can't remember hearing about anyone whose wheels were stolen. And where to keep the "key"? If the thieves wanted to steal only the wheels, they'd break the window and take the key out of the glove compartment, right?
I have this image of me trying to change a tire at night and unable to figure out how to use the wheel lock.
They’re a deterrent and depending on which city you live in or where you travel they are good to have especially if they came with vehicle. I would throw the key with the spare tire under the rear spare tire compartment cover as to not lose it and have it handy in case of a flat. However if I was to order a new vehicle I would not order them.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,224 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Mixed emotions on MB wheel locks.
I share the opposing thoughts on their usefulness, but my key (!) objection is how hard they are to use.

They don't engage easily, so they take extra force to use, and mine are starting to get "rounded" after 6 seasonal changes and 3 new sets of tires.

I don't want to get stuck without a usable wheel lock.
Considering removing them, but not quite yet.

The peace of mind they gave me is less peaceful than I like.