GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Distronic Auto Steer Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE450 Manuf Alpine Grey
Distronic Auto Steer Failure

I own a 2024 GLE450 with Distronic. I owned a GLE53 with Distronic and a 2023 GLE450 with Distronic. All 3 cars, at rare times, when Distronic is engaged, will refuse to auto steer, and with a "red" warning message, appears stating Auto Steering not Available, but all 3 cars would continue with cruise control only. If I stop the GLE's, shut the engine off, lock the cars and then unlock the cars and engage the Distronic it will work just fine. Effectively, a system reset takes place when locking all 3 cars. I asked my Service Technician about the issue, and he was unaware of this occurrence. Does anyone here have a similar issue with their Distronic?
Old 04-22-2024, 09:37 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE
I have had it become unavailable in bad weather, particularly heavy rain or snow, when the big Mercedes logo on the grille becomes dirty. Sometimes it would start working again by itself, sometimes it required a wipe of the logo. Are you sure this isn't weather related?
Old 04-22-2024, 10:12 AM

Not a weather related problem, although I have heavy rain affect the sensors for a short period of time. The problem I've had occurs in nice and sunny weather.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:15 AM

GLE
Originally Posted by silverse
Not a weather related problem, although I have heavy rain affect the sensors for a short period of time. The problem I've had occurs in nice and sunny weather.
It could also be bugs, but then a restart would NOT fix it.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:21 AM

Right, a restart would not affect bugs on the sensors. Also, all 3 GLE's had intermittent exact failures. I think it's a Firmware issue that affects "all" GLE's; I think!!
Old 04-22-2024, 11:31 AM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
It is Love Bug season in Florida.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:36 AM

Blue Yonder, good point, however this has occurred winter, fall, and spring, and a restart would not work if it was caused by bugs. Thanks
Old 04-22-2024, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Distronic doesn't steer the car.
It looks like the OP has conflated Lane keeping assist with Distronic.
Turn off the non-Distronic features and re-test.

But yes, fading light, poor lane markings or bugs can affect either system.

Bugs on the Star affect Distronic. I clean at every fill-up, when I do my windshield, and "as needed" if it affects following distance on Cruise.

Bugs on the windshield affect lane keeping, and a washer squirt usually fixes that.
The following users liked this post:
silverse (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
Distronic doesn't steer the car.
It looks like the OP has conflated Lane keeping assist with Distronic.
Turn off the non-Distronic features and re-test.

But yes, fading light, poor lane markings or bugs can affect either system.

Bugs on the Star affect Distronic. I clean at every fill-up, when I do my windshield, and "as needed" if it affects following distance on Cruise.

Bugs on the windshield affect lane keeping, and a washer squirt usually fixes that.
why would a restart resolve the issues issue? I tried what u suggested and it had no effect. Thanks for your suggestion
Old 04-22-2024, 01:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 GLE450 / 2003 BMW M5
All 3 cars, at rare times, when Distronic is engaged, will refuse to auto steer, and with a "red" warning message, appears stating Auto Steering not Available, but all 3 cars would continue with cruise control only.
I’ve experienced a red warning when I haven’t applied enough torque to the steering wheel for the sensor to pick up that my hands are on the wheel. I drive with a very relaxed hand on interstates which causes the system to think my hands aren’t on the wheel. Mercedes didn’t use capacitive touch wheels like BMW.

If I get (I think) three successive warnings, Active Steering Assist will disable, but Distronic will still function fine.

I’ve also seen Steering Assist disable in confusing or poorly marked lane areas - but it can be re-enabled afterward without re-start.

Otherwise, the only time I’ve had a re-start requirement is when I saw a cascade failure of all safety systems. Blind Spot, Traffic Sign, Distronic Plus etc will all flash a warning in rapid succession and then disable for the trip. Once in a while they would re-enable after 10min - but usually not.

Those problems were addressed by software updates and I haven’t seen them in over a year.
Sparky66 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
why would a restart resolve the issues issue? I tried what u suggested and it had no effect. Thanks for your suggestion
You're right, a restart wouldn't change anything.

But I'm still not clear on what doesn't work.

Turn off the others, and don't expect Distronic to steer the car.
Separate your issues.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:29 PM

Received 126 Likes on 89 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Active Steering Assist can temporary disable itself due to weather, poor lane marking etc. However, it always comes back when failure conditions resolve. It can be in a few seconds, in a minute etc, definitely not "when car restarts". The way you described it, it looks like an intermittent sensor failure that gets resolved once the power is cut.

The only thing that muddies the water here is that you claim that all three of your cars had the same issue. While the cars share some code for sure, 2023 and 2024 cars have different hardware and somewhat different firmware. If the issues is with FW, it's likely not widespread, I certainly haven't seen any "sticking" errors like the ones you described.

Frankly, the simplest approach would be to go to the dealer, have them reset all stored codes. Then, when it happens again, ask them to run the diagnostics and see what can be correlated in time / by module. They'll also see all active code (if any). I believe it's something they can also do remotely.
Sparky66 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Except that he's talking about Distronic.

If he goes in and complains that Distronic won't keep him in the lane, it'll ruin his credibility.

There are also two different lane centering systems, and it would be useful to understand both, if there really is a problem.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:50 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
Except that he's talking about Distronic.

If he goes in and complains that Distronic won't keep him in the lane, it'll ruin his credibility.

There are also two different lane centering systems, and it would be useful to understand both, if there really is a problem.
You are right. At the same time, I don't think many people can clearly distinguish these systems unless they read and spend measurable amount of time doing it. In the era of informational overload, you can't blame them for that.

Active Lane Keeping can be on when Distronic is off but Active Steering only works together with the Distronic. In such cases, I just assume they Distronic + Active Steering bundle turned on.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stktyz33
You are right. At the same time, I don't think many people can clearly distinguish these systems unless they read and spend measurable amount of time doing it. In the era of informational overload, you can't blame them for that.

Active Lane Keeping can be on when Distronic is off but Active Steering only works together with the Distronic. In such cases, I just assume they Distronic + Active Steering bundle turned on.
I didn't know that.
On the picture of the display I posted above, they are all enabled independently, or so I thought.
I don't think I've ever tried Lane keeping without Distronic.
Thanks.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:19 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
I didn't know that.
On the picture of the display I posted above, they are all enabled independently, or so I thought.
I don't think I've ever tried Lane keeping without Distronic.
Thanks.
Yeah, you can enable / disable them independently but not all of them are active at all times when enabled.

Active Lane Keeping - totally independent system and can be active once certain speed (30-40 miles range) and conditions met. Doesn't require Distronic to be on. Can be enabled or disabled
Distronic - requires ESP ON but not intervening.
Active Steering - when enabled, can be active only with Distronic ON.
Active Lane Change - requires Active Steering Assist, which in turn requires Distronic ON
Active Stop & Go - requires Active Steering Assist, which in turn requires Distronic ON
Old 04-23-2024, 02:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
'22 GLE 350e
I own a 2024 GLE450 with Distronic. I owned a GLE53 with Distronic and a 2023 GLE450 with Distronic. All 3 cars, at rare times, when Distronic is engaged, will refuse to auto steer, and with a "red" warning message, appears stating Auto Steering not Available, but all 3 cars would continue with cruise control only. If I stop the GLE's, shut the engine off, lock the cars and then unlock the cars and engage the Distronic it will work just fine. Effectively, a system reset takes place when locking all 3 cars. I asked my Service Technician about the issue, and he was unaware of this occurrence. Does anyone here have a similar issue with their Distronic?
It's not impossible that "resetting" the car causes the system to re-evaluate the conditions causing it to turn off, and start operating normally again. As others have said, it'll probably also do that after 10 or so minutes.

I used to have a similar thing all the time with the adaptive headlights on my MY18 C238, flip-flopping between not available and available, unrelated to weather conditions or whatever. First time it did that I took it to the dealer, and they recalibrated the cameras, and then it was better for a while.
The steering assist also uses the cameras in the windshield, so that would be a safe first bet. The rest of Distronic uses the radar sensors mainly, so wouldn't be affected.

Interesting that you have had the same issue on 3 separate vehicles. Are you perhaps applying some sort of coating to the windshield?
mikapen (04-23-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
V167
Active lane keeping is horrible. Too abrupt. I doubt we will ever engage (activate) it again.
Poster said the active steering assist. I missed a mention of the lane departure (keeping). Ours at random times does exactly as OldMerc94 described (red flashing hands on the wheel) except we have never had to do a restart (never experienced the "cascade" and it resolves itself). It use to happen more frequently than of late. No idea why. Maybe my hand pressure has become more firm? On rare and intermitttent times ours has come up with "not available" or "camera blah blah" or some message while driving (just out of the blue) and the dealer said it was likely something on the windshield but it was always a beautiful day when it randomly occured and so rare (possibly sun glare?) and not repeatable. Even after occuring the next time cruise is engaged it functioned. I thought I recall reading the system evaluates over seventy parameters. Not only are the cameras and the front radar looking but the sensors around the car and in the steering column "looking" and sensing feedback and corrections by the driver. As such it would seem that if any of the sensors (front, sides, back) on the vehicle were not sending a correct? "happy?" signal to the computer the system would do what is described and refuse to initiate or disable.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:52 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Sparky66
Active lane keeping is horrible. Too abrupt. I doubt we will ever engage (activate) it again.
What MY is yours? Newer v167s use steering and not brakes for active lane keeping, so it's really gentle.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:09 AM

V167
2021 GLE 63 SUV. Absoultely horrible. Feels like the brakes on on the one side slamming on. It definitely brings the car back from the edge while making me about wet myself.

Last edited by Sparky66; 04-28-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
2021 GLE 63 SUV. Absoultely horrible. Feels like the brakes on on the one side slamming on. It definitely brings the care back from the edge while making me about wet myself.
Sorry to hear it, this sounds brutal. On my MY2024, I often "test" it when the road situation allows as I like to understand the gotchas of these systems. I do enjoy doing it as it's gentle and somewhat cool. It feels like Active Steering Assist that only engages when you're about to cross the line. The vibration feedback and the steering wheel turning are often the only things you feel.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:01 AM

V167
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Sorry to hear it, this sounds brutal. On my MY2024, I often "test" it when the road situation allows as I like to understand the gotchas of these systems. I do enjoy doing it as it's gentle and somewhat cool. It feels like Active Steering Assist that only engages when you're about to cross the line. The vibration feedback and the steering wheel turning are often the only things you feel.
Good to hear that they made the change. Too bad the fix isn't for the older version.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:23 AM

GLE
2021 GLE 63 SUV. Absoultely horrible. Feels like the brakes on on the one side slamming on. It definitely brings the car back from the edge while making me about wet myself.
That's how it works in Mercedes cars when you don't have steering assist. I have a 2022 GLE with steering assist and the lane departure is very gentle.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:42 AM

V167
It does have steering assist. And yes steering assist is fine. I am referring to the lane departure assist. This is when cruise is not engaged and the vehicle is traveling over 38mph and you get too close to one of the lines. Lots of posts about how horrible it is on our "older" models. It does not utilize steering but applys the brakes on the one side opposite of the line pulling (more like a hard jerk) back into the lane. Glad to hear it has been rectified.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:25 AM

GLE
It does have steering assist. And yes steering assist is fine. I am referring to the lane departure assist. This is when cruise is not engaged and the vehicle is traveling over 38mph and you get too close to one of the lines. Lots of posts about how horrible it is on our "older" models. It does not utilize steering but applys the brakes on the one side opposite of the line pulling (more like a hard jerk) back into the lane. Glad to hear it has been rectified.
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I drove a rental Mercedes once and it had the braking on one side when you left the lane. My 2022 GLE doesn't have this. If I leave the lane it's exactly as described about the 2024 - it's like it's steering back to my lane. I'm surprised that you have steering assist, but the lane departure uses the brakes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Distronic Auto Steer Failure