GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

"Smart" key...LOL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,138 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Benzina
But how to insert yourself into the proper seating position for the Face ID to work, if the seat is way too close?
The solution is like my Tesla... phone key. Have phone pair with Bluetooth in the car, and if the car picks up my wifes phone first, oh well, then I am back where I am now, I have to switch profiles on the touch screen.
Try this.
Set memory number 3 to the primary driver's seat position, in all profiles.
Then, open the door, push 3, and get in.
Then you can select your profile.

Alternatively, set memory number 3 to allow every driver to enter (far enough back for a tall driver), press three and get in. Then, if you use profiles (which I don't), you can select it and hit your seat setting.

I do this on both front seats, so if the passenger seat is set for a shorty and I pick up a tall friend, I can just use the "gentleman's button" on the driver's door to adjust the seat for him (#3), without having to explain controls.

Yes, you have to wait 3 to 6 seconds for the seat to adjust after you've opened the door.
I'm okay with that.

Unless I'm the getaway driver, but if that's my job I'll plan ahead. Can't be wasting 5 seconds if you're fleeing....

Last edited by mikapen; 04-30-2024 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Benzina (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
GLE 350
I'd prefer psychic controls. Brain waves have been proven to be able to transform into particles and particles can affect other matter.....soooooo....why can't I just think about the settings I want and my car abides before my cheeks even hit the seat??? C'mon Benz, be the first! MBUX+ now with psychic control!!!!
Old 04-30-2024, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Bowhunt24
I'd prefer psychic controls. Brain waves have been proven to be able to transform into particles and particles can affect other matter.....soooooo....why can't I just think about the settings I want and my car abides before my cheeks even hit the seat??? C'mon Benz, be the first! MBUX+ now with psychic control!!!!
Gosh, I hope that's next.

MB is the first only manufacturer with full self-driving FSD allowed in the US.
Tesla and all the other FSD wannabes aren't there yet.

Who knows what the future will bring, to coin a phrase. I'm sitting here thinking about mowing my lawn, but the mower isn't picking up my waves yet.

I'll bet some manufacturer has already patented the term Psychic Control.
The following users liked this post:
Bowhunt24 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
GLE 350
Originally Posted by mikapen

I'll bet some manufacturer has already patented the term Psychic Control.
BET! (P.S., I heard this is the cool way to agree with someone these days)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:35 PM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
SL63
I have a solution to the saved seat settings problem. Don’t let anyone drive your car. When I drive my wife’s car, I drive in a scrunched position, so I don’t ruin her seat settings.
I don’t necessarily have a solution to the easy In and out. The seat should go all the way back and down while the wheel goes up and forward. That seems simple enough.
About the touchscreen. They replaced buttons and knobs, which in many cases, you had to take your eyes off the road to interface. I would concede that the touchscreen is less safe, but only slightly. I am not a huge fan of the touchscreen anyway.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLE 350 4MATIC
Yes I have a version of this workaround, which is she has position 2 on her profile and mine, and I have position 1 on her and mine.
That way I just have to press 1 whenever I come to the car and the seat looks scrunched forward.
Not the worst problem in life but an unecessary inconvenience, compared to Tesla.
However, I love this GLE 350 to the point where I will overlook these issues.

BTW, Tesla V12 FSD is so far beyond Mercedes L3, it's not even in the same universe. I am not a Tesla fan boi, but I am in computer vision and AI field, and I own both an MY and GLE 350 (just Driver Assistant Packages). I've read the constraints on Mercedes L3 being able to operate and it does not seem competitive at all with Tesla.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I have a version of this workaround, which is she has position 2 on her profile and mine, and I have position 1 on her and mine.
That way I just have to press 1 whenever I come to the car and the seat looks scrunched forward.
Not the worst problem in life but an unecessary inconvenience, compared to Tesla.
However, I love this GLE 350 to the point where I will overlook these issues.

BTW, Tesla V12 FSD is so far beyond Mercedes L3, it's not even in the same universe. I am not a Tesla fan boi, but I am in computer vision and AI field, and I own both an MY and GLE 350 (just Driver Assistant Packages). I've read the constraints on Mercedes L3 being able to operate and it does not seem competitive at all with Tesla.
Tesla isn't allowed to use FSD in the United States anywhere. I think that means it's not more advanced than Mercedes, which does have permission in some areas.

It's my understanding that Tesla uses cameras and downloaded images, where Mercedes doesn't need those.

Mercedes is still limited to certain speeds, lighting and weather conditions.

For Tesla, FSD is another source of subscription revenue.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:08 PM

2021 GLE 350 4MATIC
Tesla isn't allowed to use FSD in the United States anywhere. I think that means it's not more advanced than Mercedes, which does have permission in some areas.

It's my understanding that Tesla uses cameras and downloaded images, where Mercedes doesn't need those.

Mercedes is still limited to certain speeds, lighting and weather conditions.

For Tesla, FSD is another source of subscription revenue.
Tesla owners most certainly use FSD in the entire USA, I am one of them, and you can find countless videos on Twitter of all the various versions of FSD software and scenarios where it did amazing things and some where the operator needed to intervene.
Tesla uses streaming video from cameras surrounding the vehicle. Mercedes I suspect relies on radar/USS towards the front and ultrasonic sensors (USS) to sides and rear directions.
I enjoy the Driver Assistance on my GLE 350, would not want a MB without as much as driver assistance as I can get.
That being said, my Tesla FSD is far far more advanced. It actually solves driving and routing problems in ways I simply cannot, since I don't have universal knowledge of all existing paths, for example my Tesla FSD got me out of a huge mall parking lot by using an obscure exit road I didn't even know existed, but was far quicker than what i would have chosen. It's really impressive. Get an FSD12 ride from somebody you know.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FSD12 may be impressive but It doesn't live up to its name. It's not Full Self Driving, nor is it autonomous.

Tesla's attempt at real autonomous driving is not approved in the US, and it doesn't look like it will be approved in China either. Because it relies heavily on cameras. Cameras are verboten in China because of their privacy concerns.

Mercedes "Route-Based Navigation" is similar, but I don't like it because it always goes the speed limit, including obeying the yellow corner speed advisories. Ugh. I suppose it would get better fuel economy, but I didn't buy a fast car to go slow.

I'll have to try it sometime to see if it can find its way out of a convoluted parking lot.

I wish the Mercedes system used capacitors to sense drivers Hands on the wheel, as required by the Feds. But I can live with that.

Last edited by mikapen; 04-30-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:58 AM

2021 GLE 350 4MATIC
Definitely 100% not FULL self driving. I can attest to that daily. However, it does automate like 99.5% of my driving daily. Including all lane changes, finding on ramps, off ramps, 4 way stops, roundabouts, even parking.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Definitely 100% not FULL self driving. I can attest to that daily. However, it does automate like 99.5% of my driving daily. Including all lane changes, finding on ramps, off ramps, 4 way stops, roundabouts, even parking.
There's nothing special about that, although it does make for some hilarious YouTubes....
Old 05-19-2024, 02:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by superswiss
My bad. I must have accidently entered your echo chamber. Or maybe the MB engineers simply managed to think of more than your personal use case. For example are those who share their cars with wife and kids supposed to buy extra fobs so each kid can have their own profile? MB's approach supports more profiles than there are key fobs, and the latest MBUX can use biometric identification via Face ID or fingerprint to recognize the driver.
don't bother swiss cheese brain
Old 05-19-2024, 03:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
GLE
I wish the Mercedes system used capacitors to sense drivers Hands on the wheel, as required by the Feds. But I can live with that.
Ale the newer steering wheels do just that, like in the new E-class. I'm guessing the newest facelift version of the GLE also has capacitive sensors in the wheel.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last edited by mikapen; 05-19-2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,477 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by EL-34
don't bother swiss cheese brain
It took you three weeks to come up with this? Pathetic!