GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Potential Caliper Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 350 NY
Potential Caliper Issue

A few weeks ago, there were very loud grinding noises when driving and when I pulled over, I noticed that the front driver side brake pad was completely gone. When I check the passenger side, there was at least 50% life left and there is no sensor triggered to change my brake pads.

I took my GLE (65K miles) to a local shop that has been replacing my brake pads for at least two years (I always purchase the OEM brake pads from Mercedes and have them replace it). Per the local shop, I was told that the outer brake pad was completely gone but the inner pad still had padding left. When the mechanic told me he advised he couldn't change out the pads because he believed the pistons wouldn't retract if he went to replace the pads due to the caliper about to go out.

I then called Mercedes to check if my caliper would be able to be replaced under my ELW. I was told that it could if the caliper was an issue. I ended up dropping my car at the dealership last Monday to inspect the uneven wear on my front pads. Today, I get a texted saying the grinding noise was due to my brake pads. I then call the service advisor and explain that how can one side of my brake pads have nothing left while the passenger side still has at least 50% life left where there was no brake pad indicator to let me know it was on it's way out.

A few things is that I changed out my rotors at 50K, get brake flushes every 30K miles and change out my pads about once a year (whenever the brake sensor comes on or if I start hearting a faint grinding sound). All OEM parts.

Any thoughts here?
Old 06-24-2024, 06:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
If it were me, I'd find another shop to do my brakes from now on ort take it to the dealer if you can't do them yourself. My suspicion is that for some reason the technician couldn't compress the calipers and used the old outer brake pad to complete the job. This is the very reason I do my own brakes. On my wife's car a shop installed non-OEM pads on the front and they were making noise. When I removed the wheel and inspected the brake pads, they basically crumble in my hands. the OEM pad Material is matched to the rotor. I would have Mercedes inspect the left side too to make sure that the pads are for you rotors. Who knows, this could be what happened to the right-side outer pad.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 350 NY
Originally Posted by FireRx Captain
If it were me, I'd find another shop to do my brakes from now on ort take it to the dealer if you can't do them yourself. My suspicion is that for some reason the technician couldn't compress the calipers and used the old outer brake pad to complete the job. This is the very reason I do my own brakes. On my wife's car a shop installed non-OEM pads on the front and they were making noise. When I removed the wheel and inspected the brake pads, they basically crumble in my hands. the OEM pad Material is matched to the rotor. I would have Mercedes inspect the left side too to make sure that the pads are for you rotors. Who knows, this could be what happened to the right-side outer pad.
If you are referring to my last change in pads, It is very unlikely because I always check to make sure the pads have been replaced with the parts I gave them (which Mercedes gives me when I tell them my VIN #) before I even leave the lot. I would have noticed if they used an old outer brake pad instead of the one I gave them to replace.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic, 2016 E350
it could be the caliper itself too. MB will inspect it and tell ya what's up. I just did a $1488 dollar brakes and rotor service on mine. Typically, when you get uneven wear on the pads it means the caliper slide is hanging up somewhere and not sliding freely..
Old 06-25-2024, 05:08 PM

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Regarding brake age, our W164 needed pads at ~50k as well, replaced with a set of
ceramic pads ceramic pads
rather than OEM. Reduced the dust and these suckers made it to ~165k with life still left. Replaced them and the rotors as they had a significant lip and were making unpleasant sounds during light braking.