GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

How to make running boards more shiny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 08:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 450​
How to make running boards more shiny?

I bought a new 24' GLE 450 beginning of this year and have used 1600 milage and no off road usage. Regular touchless car wash. However Mom keeps saying that my running boards look ugly and ain't shiny when compared to the wheel or other silver-like parts of the car. And then proceed to tell me that the factory used aftermarket parts for the running board. So I'm wondering if anyone got an idea of how to polish the boards so that it is shiny? I am tired of hearing my mom talk about the running boards each time she gets on and off my car so I want to do something about it.

I did initial searches online and found this video describing this polish. I really like how after the boards are polished, you can see the reflection of this guy's hand.
https://youtu.be/5chdHiPcEKw?si=JzqRLSsauff_G1b1
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-SPI_402_16-Restorer-Protectant/dp/B00FALVXEQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Last edited by EndenDragon; 08-17-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
You don't necessarily need anything abrasive as your car is still new. Touchless car wash or even regular car wash won't clean the running boards, you'll have better luck with a regular rough towel and cleaning in between the rubber strips after every wash.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Take it from an old hand. Stay away from it. It is aluminum, likely anodized (Google it). So is the trim around the side windows. If you use an abrasive and remove the anodization, you'll have bare aluminum. That will become almost impossible to keep shiny. It will oxidize and any product you then use will turn the polishing rag black. The trend to reduce shiny surfaces began almost 60 years ago as a safety measure. Wiper arms were chrome plated, and the sun would reflect off them into the driver's eyes. My '67 GTO had brushed stainless wiper arms and anodized aluminum window trim like my MB's. Just keep them clean and dry. Most sites recommend a mild dish detergent.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by pjw1967
Take it from an old hand. Stay away from it. It is aluminum, likely anodized (Google it). So is the trim around the side windows. If you use an abrasive and remove the anodization, you'll have bare aluminum. That will become almost impossible to keep shiny. It will oxidize and any product you then use will turn the polishing rag black. The trend to reduce shiny surfaces began almost 60 years ago as a safety measure. Wiper arms were chrome plated, and the sun would reflect off them into the driver's eyes. My '67 GTO had brushed stainless wiper arms and anodized aluminum window trim like my MB's. Just keep them clean and dry. Most sites recommend a mild dish detergent.
And maybe OP can stop giving rides to the overly critical mother? Tell her to take an Uber instead. 😜
The following 3 users liked this post by wildta:
EndenDragon (Yesterday), graffixnyc (Yesterday), tootallll (Today)