Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2024 GLE 300D
Rear camera opens at speed below 25km/h

Hi there,
thanks letting me join this family.
I have an issue found at my 2024 GLE Rear Camera opens when speed below 25km/h.
I knew it is doing calibration; thus I ran a straight road at speed less than 15km/h, then camera did calibrate itself and not open again.

But after I turn off this car, and turn it on , this issue happened again from beginning.

I used to have a 2017 GLC, it’s rear camera opens sometimes when driving forward and also, I let it did calibrate and just need "one time" calibration and next day no more happened.

But now , this new 2024 GLE problem is that every time we turn on car, this issue happened repeat again, it seems that it did not record and write calibration data into this car computer.

as I thought calibration should did one time only and no more happens in short time.

Is this issue normal?
thank you all.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:29 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by ken7472
Hi there,
thanks letting me join this family.
I have an issue found at my 2024 GLE Rear Camera opens when speed below 25km/h.
I knew it is doing calibration; thus I ran a straight road at speed less than 15km/h, then camera did calibrate itself and not open again.

But after I turn off this car, and turn it on , this issue happened again from beginning.

I used to have a 2017 GLC, it’s rear camera opens sometimes when driving forward and also, I let it did calibrate and just need "one time" calibration and next day no more happened.

But now , this new 2024 GLE problem is that every time we turn on car, this issue happened repeat again, it seems that it did not record and write calibration data into this car computer.

as I thought calibration should did one time only and no more happens in short time.

Is this issue normal?
thank you all.

Ive been curious about this. It took me a week or so to realize that noise from the back was the camera door opening.
I don’t see any way in the settings to prevent this.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:23 PM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by kook101
Ive been curious about this. It took me a week or so to realize that noise from the back was the camera door opening.
I don’t see any way in the settings to prevent this.
The most weird things is that when driving forward and camera automatically open, i can let camera no more open by driving at below 10km/h in a streight road around 30~50m to let camera calibinate, after this, camera no more open again at this trip.

But after trun off car and turn on again, this below 25km/h camera open issue happened and repeat again.

what you think Is this a software issue or hardware issue?
Old 10-02-2023, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 450
It is a real problem. One week into owning my 2024 GLE, I noticed it and now I hear it all the time and the blue P on the bottom of the dash comes on when the camera opens. This morning it opened and closed 8-10 times driving down a 2 mile section of a six lane road with red lights. Every time speed climbs it closed and then reopened as speed droped.

Any ideas on "fixing" this problem will be appreciated as the sound is annoying and it is improbable that the camera mechanism is durable enough for 20-40+ opening/closings a day.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:28 PM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by BBinTX
It is a real problem. One week into owning my 2024 GLE, I noticed it and now I hear it all the time and the blue P on the bottom of the dash comes on when the camera opens. This morning it opened and closed 8-10 times driving down a 2 mile section of a six lane road with red lights. Every time speed climbs it closed and then reopened as speed droped.

Any ideas on "fixing" this problem will be appreciated as the sound is annoying and it is improbable that the camera mechanism is durable enough for 20-40+ opening/closings a day.
Thanks you guy replied, at least i knew this is not a single case, and it seems this is a software issue.

From other thread post said this normal, but this can not explain that when camera opened , i can by driving slow streightly to let camera calibration then camera no more pop out on the same trip.

Obviously calibration data was not well record into car computer.
This cause this issue happened again and again after car trun on.

can anyone knows how to feedback this issue to headoffice of Mercedes Benz?
Old 10-03-2023, 01:30 AM

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by BBinTX

The blue "P" with an arrow indicates there is a potential parking spot available, which is the functionality of the Parking Assist.
For my 2020 GLE, the camera does not open when it thinks it see a parking space. It only opens on reverse, or when it detects I am too close to another object, or up to ~15 to 20 mph in forward right after reversing. Maybe there is some behavior change on the 2024 model?
If it is indeed Parking Assist, you can try turning it off and see if the camera remain closed. (If menu is the same for 2024, it should be in Settings -> Quick Access -> Parktonic.)
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 02:35 AM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
The blue "P" with an arrow indicates there is a potential parking spot available, which is the functionality of the Parking Assist.
For my 2020 GLE, the camera does not open when it thinks it see a parking space. It only opens on reverse, or when it detects I am too close to another object, or up to ~15 to 20 mph in forward right after reversing. Maybe there is some behavior change on the 2024 model?
If it is indeed Parking Assist, you can try turning it off and see if the camera remain closed. (If menu is the same for 2024, it should be in Settings -> Quick Access -> Parktonic.)
2024 GLE also has this parking buttom, when we press it, then 360 camera open inculding rear camera, we can hear rear camera open noise.
When driving forward ,if some object too much close, 360 camera will open to show all surrounding status on monitor.

The most weird things is when i heard and found rear camear pop out at around 15~20, I just need to let car speed at around 8~10 to let camera did calibirate , then camera no more open again at this trip.

But this issue happened again after we trun car off and trun car on again.
I don't think with this software issue, this camear can survive more than 3 year.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:45 AM

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
No way to turn off the utterly useless "Parktronic" camera killer function on my EQE 500 SUV. Only thing I see is an option to not show parking spots in reverse. I guess MB had to mandate everyone use it since nobody really wants to.
ken7472 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 08:55 AM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by Crito
No way to turn off the utterly useless "Parktronic" camera killer function on my EQE 500 SUV. Only thing I see is an option to not show parking spots in reverse. I guess MB had to mandate everyone use it since nobody really wants to.
Hi Crito
Did you mean EQE SUV has this camera open automatically at speed15~20 issue too?
Old 10-03-2023, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,164 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Crito
I think yours is broken.
Dealer.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:28 PM

GLE 450
Bringing this thread back. I’m curious if everyone’s GLE has this rear camera open/close issue. Is it normal or do I need to check in with Service group. I’m hoping that it goes away after the software learns, but that’s probably not realistic.

Old 10-21-2023, 02:07 PM

Received 193 Likes on 132 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
My 2018 GLE 550e did the same thing for a while. It went away without me doing anything. My 2024 doesn't do it that I'm aware of (I don't hear it opening like I could with my other GLE)
Old 10-22-2023, 04:45 PM

Received 111 Likes on 80 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
I'm wondering if this memo from 2017 applies: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...ml#post7394800 , check XENTRY tip PDF attached to it.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:10 PM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by kook101
Bringing this thread back. I’m curious if everyone’s GLE has this rear camera open/close issue. Is it normal or do I need to check in with Service group. I’m hoping that it goes away after the software learns, but that’s probably not realistic.
Hi Kook101
about 1 month ago, i wrote mail to dialog@mercedes-benz.com, described this question and quoted my vin number# in the mail. and about 5 days later, my local MB service center called me , asked me if i can leave my car to them to test again. i reached the service cetner and the manager test my car with me, now they finally realized this issue and aske me to leave car to them for filming a short video and also download all car data to send MB headquarter at same night.

luckly, MB headquarter also replied to service cetner at next day, and here are some information they replied. ( they just allow me to see this reply mail, not able to photo , download or print out )
Briefly speaking.
1. rear camera pop out or camera open in speed below 25km (15mph) is designed on purpose.
MB replied this is due to local traffic law rules. and this pop ups can be recalibinateion by driving in a streight road by speed below 25km/h and then camera no more open when going forward in this same trip.

Once you open front door, or trunk door, in this same trip, this camear opening will happen again. Everytime drivers get off the car, this camera opens at speed below 25km/h will happened again.

2. this rear camera pop ups is appling to all vehicle with code#218 and #516. Code #516 is for 2024 GLE ( facelift ) 360 degree camera. #218 is for GLC and other models.

3. 360 degree camera open is different situation with carema open at speed below 25km/h

they not fixed this issue ( should i call this is a issue ? , i think they don't think this is an issue) , but their reply shows that MB knows this siutaiton and this is designed on purpose, up to now, i have no choice to accept.

Suggest you can also write a mail to them to let them know this software is not good desinged and keep opening issue is really bothering.
Hoping MB can release an updat to let this camera stop doing this useless opening.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:14 PM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by stktyz33
I'm wondering if this memo from 2017 applies: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle43-cou...ml#post7394800 , check XENTRY tip PDF attached to it.
Hi stktyz33
i knew this , but this is uselss for 2024 GLE.
this can only fix one time on this trip, once trun off car or get off car, camera open issue happened again.
2024 GLE is operating a different way, GLE need to recalibination everytime you got on car. Carzy !!
Old 10-23-2023, 09:34 AM

MY2024 GLE 450
MB replied this is due to local traffic law rules.
It's hard to comment on it as this phrase implies that locality may have something to do with it.

​​​​​​​360 degree camera open
Open as in "camera video shows up on MBUX screen"? My understanding is that there is no separate 360 camera, just a super imposition of all cameras in the vehicle.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Cross Traffic - Rear

My 2024 GLE’s rear camera was popping out at every stop sign or stop light.
I was told to disengage the rear camera cross traffic - rear feature. MB’s explanation was that the rear camera works in conjunction with the cross traffic sensors to detect a forward collision at an intersection.
I don’t understand how this applies to being at a stop light or stop sign, but I do not hear the camera pop out at every intersection! ??
Nevertheless, it stopped popping out at every stop, but now will not signal if there is an object in my path when I am in reverse or drive I would have to turn the feature back on again.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:06 PM

2024 GLE 300D
Originally Posted by Irma Y
My 2024 GLE’s rear camera was popping out at every stop sign or stop light.
I was told to disengage the rear camera cross traffic - rear feature. MB’s explanation was that the rear camera works in conjunction with the cross traffic sensors to detect a forward collision at an intersection.
I don’t understand how this applies to being at a stop light or stop sign, but I do not hear the camera pop out at every intersection! ??
Nevertheless, it stopped popping out at every stop, but now will not signal if there is an object in my path when I am in reverse or drive I would have to turn the feature back on again.
Hi Iram Y
i will try your method.

But i do believe this rear camear pops at low speed is a very stupid design.
they should do recall and fix it.
Instead of asking us to trun off some functions, we did pay for those founctions. now we be asked to turn it off.

now , in day time, when i drive, i will try to find a streight road to calibinate it and then camear pop no more happened in this trip, but after i trun off car and trun on again, it happens again.

another problem cames that in night time, due to calibinate needs light, calibination always not suceed in night time, camera keeps open and close , sooooo annoying !!!

plesae help us to mail MB, dialog@mercedes-benz.com, they will set up file and try to reach us.
let them knows more and more people found this problem, and need to be debug.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:09 PM

MY2024 GLE 450
So, what is the actual impact here? You hear the sound of it opening and it annoys you? How loud is it? Do you hear it with the radio off or on?
Old 10-25-2023, 09:00 PM

2024 GLE 450
Yes, you hear each opening and closing every time your speed moves above and below ~20mph. The opening is louder than the closing. Yes, you can hear it at normal radio levels. Yes it is annoying especially in stop and go traffic and at every single stop sign and every single redlight. Without the sound I dont care what the tech does as long as MB gives warranty on the mechanism. As far as I am concerned it can open and close every 30 seconds if quiet and durable. The problem is the intrusive sound every time the car is driven, and the fact that without a solution the sound will only get louder as the mechanism ages.

Last edited by BBinTX; 10-25-2023 at 09:09 PM.
ken7472 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 09:50 PM

2024 GLE 300D
totally agreed with BBinTX.
Camear opens at speed below 25km/h, but monitor shows nothing , monitor keeps off.
it means this open is not for safety. this is an obviously defect.
When it open , nothing around my car even a single bird fur.
this is an obvioulsy software defect, we shouldn't pay for this.
After 3 years warrany , due to this open frequently , camear parts gets mechanism ages, or out of order, we shouldn't pay for this.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Same issue

I have the same issue and it drives me nuts. I left my 2024 GLE 350 at the dealer all day for them to confirm the camera comes out at low speeds and that Mercedes says it’s supposed to do that. Not a fan and hope they come up with a fix. I just sent an email to Mercedes.

Last edited by Onlylive1; 11-15-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
D

Last edited by Onlylive1; 11-15-2023 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:08 PM

2024 GLE 300D
[QUOTE=Onlylive1;8877657]我也有同樣的問題,這讓我抓狂。我把我的 2024 GLE 350 留在經銷商一整天,讓他們確認攝影機在低速行駛時是否可以正常工作,並且梅賽德斯說它應該這樣做。不是粉絲 ,希望他們能想出解決辦法。我剛剛給梅賽德斯發了一封電子郵件。[/QUOTE
]
Day time, i can still let it be calibilated by driving streight at speed below 20kmh, and without pops again
but main problems are when i turn off and turn on car, this stupid issue happens again,and it never be able to calibinate in night, i think this is due to not enough light for camera to calibinate
MB should recall this software problem
please help to write mail : dialog@mercedes-benz.com
to let their team knows this issue.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:47 PM

2024 GLE 450
I'm scheduled to drop my GLE at dealer on Monday. My expectation is that they replace mechanism with one the is silent or they change coding to eliminate open/close. I will update thread next week as process moves froward.
LSUinTX (11-22-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear camera opens at speed below 25km/h