GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

First time Mercedes buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2024 | 03:32 PM

GLE450 SUV
Originally Posted by Benzman33
Not getting a hitch is dumb, you never know when you're going to need it
Dumb is getting something I will NEVER use.
I'm in my mid 50's and have never needed a hitch. If I had a boat to pull, I wouldn't use a SUV, I would have a big truck. LOL
Old 10-04-2024 | 03:36 PM

GLE450 SUV
Originally Posted by schroedinger
Turns out it's 10% US sourced, 25% from Germany including engines and transmissions. That leaves a lot from other countries. I'm assuming China and Mexico and what else?
I guess it really does not matter now that they have postponed their strike until January 15th.
Old 10-04-2024 | 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Not getting a hitch is dumb, you never know when you're going to need it
Dumb is probably too strong a word, but a hitch probably assists in resale.

People use hitches for things other than towing such as bicycle racks, wheelchair lifts, additional storage, and since there's no affordable aftermarket receivers, they'll be looking for a factory installed, $550 hitch.

And GLSs are a better tow machines than pickups. Better brakes, better chassis better suspensions. You sacrifice a few hundred lb in payload.
Old 10-05-2024 | 08:54 AM

GLE450 SUV
Originally Posted by mikapen

People use hitches for things other than towing such as bicycle racks, wheelchair lifts, additional storage, and since there's no affordable aftermarket receivers, they'll be looking for a factory installed, $550 hitch.

And GLSs are a better tow machines than pickups. Better brakes, better chassis better suspensions. You sacrifice a few hundred lb in payload.
I understand what you are saying but IMO that is putting to much value into a hitch for resale.
If someone wants to buy your car because it's the right color and has all the options they want, I find it hard to believe a stupid little hitch will make or brake the deal.
Old 10-05-2024 | 10:03 AM

2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
Dumb is getting something I will NEVER use.
I'm in my mid 50's and have never needed a hitch. If I had a boat to pull, I wouldn't use a SUV, I would have a big truck. LOL
The day will come when you see something you need to tow and you'll go "Benzman33 was right, It was dumb to not get a hitch."
The following users liked this post:
Rasull12 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 10:04 AM

2024 GLE 350

I don't think GLS's are better towing machines than pickups. GLS is a great car don't get me wrong, but you can't really pull up to a FB marketplace deal with a trailer and a 100k GLS. lol
Old 10-05-2024 | 10:06 AM

2024 GLE 350
I understand what you are saying but IMO that is putting to much value into a hitch for resale.
If someone wants to buy your car because it's the right color and has all the options they want, I find it hard to believe a stupid little hitch will make or brake the deal.
It'd make or brake the deal for me. I need a hitch, regardless if I'm going to use it or not. At least I know it's there.
Old 10-05-2024 | 11:07 AM

GLE450 SUV
The day will come when you see something you need to tow and you'll go "Benzman33 was right, It was dumb to not get a hitch."
Well, it has not happened in 55 years. I'll take my chances. LOL
Old 10-05-2024 | 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
After all your posturing against stupid hitches, don't buy one or you'll feel stupid every time you walk out to the car.

However, I am one of many who won't buy another car without a hitch. I spent $2,800 retrofitting a hitch to a Cayenne and I won't do that again. I'll buy the one with a hitch.

Not a recommendation, just a statement. Call me stupid if you like.
Old 10-05-2024 | 01:57 PM

GLE450 SUV
After all your posturing against stupid hitches, don't buy one or you'll feel stupid every time you walk out to the car.
You must be getting confused. I didn't even bring up the topic of a hitch. I just saying I don't need or want one. How is that posturing? LOL
Again, I never used a hitch in 55 years so I'll take my chances. If that's okay with you. LOL

However, I am one of many who won't buy another car without a hitch. I spent $2,800 retrofitting a hitch to a Cayenne and I won't do that again. I'll buy the one with a hitch.
Okay, good for you. YOU need a hitch. I don't. Get over it. Good Lord.
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You must be getting confused. I didn't even bring up the topic of a hitch. I just saying I don't need or want one. How is that posturing? LOL
Again, I never used a hitch in 55 years so I'll take my chances. If that's okay with you. LOL

Okay, good for you. YOU need a hitch. I don't. Get over it. Good Lord.
Just let the thread progress without your anti-hitch or anti-me comments. We'll be fine with that.

Please don't buy a hitch. I repeat: please don't buy a hitch. Are we clear? I am not recommending that you buy a hitch. You shouldn't even be allowed to have one. Don't buy one.

Edit - please noticethat I was defending you, and now you're attacking me for defending you. Here's your LOL back at you!

Last edited by mikapen; 10-05-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:09 PM

GLE450 SUV
Just let the thread progress without your anti-hitch or anti-me comments. We'll be fine with that.

Please don't buy a hitch. I repeat: please don't buy a hitch. Are we clear? I am not recommending that you buy a hitch. You shouldn't even be allowed to have one. Don't buy one.
But you keep replying about a hitch. LOL LOL
So having a different opinion from you is now ANTI everything.
Let it go, please. We get it. YOU like hitches. WOW,
Old 10-05-2024 | 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Fact about having a hitch. It will provide extra protection on rear collisions. Even though I dont use the distronic too much or most of the lazy modes I like the fact that I can cruise on a highway with sone sort of steering assists especially on loooooong drives. If you have kids and people who are not used to slamming MB doors and you keep telling them to close the doors properly you will love the soft close doors. The softdoor function also adds to that luxury feel of the car and not all cars can have that option.

For us who do use a hitch for whatever reason. We just want to make sure people buying MBs know that a putting one after the fact is hard or almost impossible as it is really not just a plug and play. The MBs have additional software and bracing needed to have a fully functioning hitch to work properly with the vehicle. And yes a $650 option will add good resale value afterwards as people who know how difficult to add one later will only look for a vehicle that has it.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 10-05-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2024 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, you are the culprit who accussed me of liking hitches.
And defending you from being called Stupid.
You're welcome.

Now leave it alone. Read the thread, if you can. It's right in front of you. This thread. Your comments and mine. Mine have my screen name, mikapen, if that helps you.
You're welcome.

Don't buy a hitch. Don't buy a hitch. You're the guy who said you didn't want one. Is that clear enough for you?
Old 10-05-2024 | 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think GLS's are better towing machines than pickups. GLS is a great car don't get me wrong, but you can't really pull up to a FB marketplace deal with a trailer and a 100k GLS. lol
It's a far better tow vehicle than a half ton or even a 3/4 ton. It does something that pickups can't do - emergency maneuvering, or anything that requires a change of direction.
The brakes are better, bigger, and the suspension is a modern one.
And the towing capacity is there.
At least my GLE is that capable, and it does pull a 28' RV. I won't pull it with a half ton.
Old 10-05-2024 | 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
His initial comment was just stating that hitches add to resale value. It's important for others reading this for the first time because installing an aftermarket hitch will be inferior to factory, many multiples more expensive to install, and programming the software to accommodate it is near impossible, maybe completely impossible. So while you chose to save the money and not select an option you know you'll never use, it's important for others to understand that the future value is very important during a private party resale to a segment of the market down the road should that occur, possibly even a dealer trade-in who might be able acutely aware of the market sentiment of customer wants/needs.

Last edited by wildta; 10-05-2024 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 09:38 AM

GLE450 SUV
No, you are the culprit who accussed me of liking hitches.
And defending you from being called Stupid.
You're welcome.

Now leave it alone. Read the thread, if you can. It's right in front of you. This thread. Your comments and mine. Mine have my screen name, mikapen, if that helps you.
You're welcome.

Don't buy a hitch. Don't buy a hitch. You're the guy who said you didn't want one. Is that clear enough for you?
You keep proving my point, Good Lord. Please stop responding. LOL LOL
You just couldn't let it rest. Please drop it. We get it. You are in love with hitches.

Please do NOT respond again about hitches. I don't care what you have to say. YOU are beating a dead horse.

Last edited by 4thDoctorWhoFan; 10-06-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You just couldn't let it rest. Please drop it. We get it. You are in love with hitches.

Please do NOT respond again about hitches. I don't care what you have to say. YOU are beating a dead horse.
All of us, including me, have provided several helpful comments from the beginning of your post.
You've turned this into a shouting match.

If you don't want feedback, don't ask for feedback.
And especially don't argue with those who provide it to you.

Be kind to your horse.
Be kind to the people who are trying to help you.

But most of all don't buy a hitch. You would be stupid to do so, given how much the word upsets you.
You don't like hitches and you don't like people who have hitches.
What a strange way to live your life.

I also have obsidian black. Best you don't get that either because you clearly dislike me. OLO.
JettaRed (10-09-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 02:36 PM

2024 GLE 350

and the fact that the retrofitted hitch will never be as strong as the factory one...
Old 10-06-2024 | 02:39 PM

2024 GLE 350

Why do you have such hate against hitches? What have they done to you? It's a cheap option, doesn't make sense not to check it.
Old 10-06-2024 | 02:40 PM

2024 GLE 350
It's a far better tow vehicle than a half ton or even a 3/4 ton. It does something that pickups can't do - emergency maneuvering, or anything that requires a change of direction.
The brakes are better, bigger, and the suspension is a modern one.
And the towing capacity is there.
At least my GLE is that capable, and it does pull a 28' RV. I won't pull it with a half ton.
I'm sure it's a great tow vehicle. It'd be great to tow a 911 to the track in. But it's not great when you're trying to "fit in with the common folk" when doing business
Old 10-06-2024 | 03:41 PM

Not to add another post about the stupid tow hitch but I see both viewpoints.

On one hand, its a $550 add-on and it provides some sort of insurance functionality-wise, so if you're buying an expensive vehicle, its not exactly a bank-breaking additional expense. But on the other hand, if OP has NEVER needed a tow hitch in 40+ years of driving, then its probably pretty safe to say that his lifestyle is such that he most likely won't need a tow hitch in the future either. Will it help resale? Maybe. Will he recoup the $550+tax he spent on it when he's trying to sell his vehicle? Maybe, maybe not. To some buyers it might be a deal breaker if there's no tow hitch, to others, they probably don't care.

I've been driving for over 25 years and have never needed a tow hitch, not even once. There's always been someone around me who has a truck or an SUV that could tow something and wants to tow something. Never been in a situation where I've been like "well darn, if ONLY my vehicle had a tow hitch", but I also don't own a boat.

I guess the point of my post is just to say its very possible that someone has no present need for a tow hitch, and most likely will not ever have a future need for it either. It comes down to a resale play and I'm not entirely convinced that it will assist in resale value either. Personally I ended up going with a tow hitch option just because I'm OK with spending the money and never ending up using it, but I surely don't expect everyone else to have the same position and I think OP is slightly annoyed (rightly so IMHO) that people are speaking as if its completely ridiculous to not choose the tow hitch option.
4thDoctorWhoFan (10-09-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 03:59 PM

2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
$550.00 option on an $85,000 car is chump change. I didn't need a tow hitch for 50 years of driving, and then I did. Aftermarket was 3 times as much.
Old 10-06-2024 | 04:42 PM

2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by GreenFox
Not to add another post about the stupid tow hitch but I see both viewpoints.

On one hand, its a $550 add-on and it provides some sort of insurance functionality-wise, so if you're buying an expensive vehicle, its not exactly a bank-breaking additional expense. But on the other hand, if OP has NEVER needed a tow hitch in 40+ years of driving, then its probably pretty safe to say that his lifestyle is such that he most likely won't need a tow hitch in the future either. Will it help resale? Maybe. Will he recoup the $550+tax he spent on it when he's trying to sell his vehicle? Maybe, maybe not. To some buyers it might be a deal breaker if there's no tow hitch, to others, they probably don't care.

I've been driving for over 25 years and have never needed a tow hitch, not even once. There's always been someone around me who has a truck or an SUV that could tow something and wants to tow something. Never been in a situation where I've been like "well darn, if ONLY my vehicle had a tow hitch", but I also don't own a boat.

I guess the point of my post is just to say its very possible that someone has no present need for a tow hitch, and most likely will not ever have a future need for it either. It comes down to a resale play and I'm not entirely convinced that it will assist in resale value either. Personally I ended up going with a tow hitch option just because I'm OK with spending the money and never ending up using it, but I surely don't expect everyone else to have the same position and I think OP is slightly annoyed (rightly so IMHO) that people are speaking as if its completely ridiculous to not choose the tow hitch option.
"There's always someone around me with a truck"

You should never count on others...

Old 10-06-2024 | 04:43 PM

2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
$550.00 option on an $85,000 car is chump change. I didn't need a tow hitch for 50 years of driving, and then I did. Aftermarket was 3 times as much.
Say it Louder for people in the back!!

$550 to have that security is a no brainer. As you said it's an 85k car. It's not a base Kia.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time Mercedes buyer