GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019

2017 GLE 43 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A7
I am also new to the forum and MB brand. I’ve been researching the GLE Coupe for over a year and finally pulled the trigger in late September and placed my order. I pick up my vehicle on Friday and am very excited. Thanks very much to everyone who contributes to the forum. The information is extremely valuable and I hope to be able to contribute going forward.

My GLE Coupe config is:
Polar White
Wheels: 21-inch AMG twin 5-spoke
Illuminated brushed aluminum running boards
Multicontour front seats with massage feature
Black leather
Natural Grain Brown Ash wood
Premium 2 Package
Multicolor ambient lighting
Heated and cooled front cupholders
Laminated acoustic front door glass
Rear Seat Entertainment system prewiring
3-zone climate control
Cabin-air purification system
Parking Assist Package
Magic Vision Control

One question I have is around purchasing the tire and wheel protection. There are many different opinions on this subject and while I am risk averse I want to be practical as I live in NJ. Also, I have a very good friend that has a ’16 C400 and the cost to repair just one wheel and a set of tires was over $1K when he damaged it last winter without a warranty. With the GLE wheels and tires being much larger I am thinking it may make sense. Does anyone know what a decent price would be for the GLE Coupe for the First Class Wheel and Tire Protection and any of the other add-on warranties? I’ve seen some pricing for these in the E series forum, but I am not sure if the costs vary widely depending on the vehicle. I would like to be prepared before I pick up the vehicle on Friday. Thanks in advance.

And yes, I will definitely post some pictures after I pick it up!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
Originally Posted by gqstyle
I am also new to the forum and MB brand. I’ve been researching the GLE Coupe for over a year and finally pulled the trigger in late September and placed my order. I pick up my vehicle on Friday and am very excited. Thanks very much to everyone who contributes to the forum. The information is extremely valuable and I hope to be able to contribute going forward.

My GLE Coupe config is:
Polar White
Black leather
Premium 2 Package
3-zone climate control
Parking Assist Package
Magic Vision Control

One question I have is around purchasing the tire and wheel protection. There are many different opinions on this subject and while I am risk averse I want to be practical as I live in NJ. Also, I have a very good friend that has a ’16 C400 and the cost to repair just one wheel and a set of tires was over $1K when he damaged it last winter without a warranty. With the GLE wheels and tires being much larger I am thinking it may make sense. Does anyone know what a decent price would be for the GLE Coupe for the First Class Wheel and Tire Protection and any of the other add-on warranties? I’ve seen some pricing for these in the E series forum, but I am not sure if the costs vary widely depending on the vehicle. I would like to be prepared before I pick up the vehicle on Friday. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on the new Coupe. We have had ours for a month and a half and it exceeds our every expectation. The multi contour seats were a deal breaker for us and they are amazing. My wife uses the massage all the time.

The extended warranty is a definite consideration if you plan to keep the vehicle for any length of time and if you put high miles on. (Also, the NJ Turnpike can be hard on vehicles.) The full extended warranty in Canada was around $3,600 and I'm not sure about wheel coverage.

Enjoy the new ride...sport plus mode is great.
The following users liked this post:
gqstyle (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
2017 AMG GLE43 Coupe

gqstyle,

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Can't wait to see the pics. I ordered my 2017 AMG GLE43 Coupe (build attached) on 11/1/16. Estimated delivery date is late Jan/early Feb. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be picking your brain once you take delivery on Friday.

Since you're concerned with your wheels and you live in NJ, you may be interested in paint protection film as well. I'm formerly from PA, so I know about NE winters. See my post (also in this thread) about Expel Ultimate. This stuff is amazing! Unfortunately, I have no experience with wheel protection treatments. However, I can give you two pieces of advice. Always wash off road salt ASAP. Always use your 360 degree cameras and external rear-view mirrors (pointed down) when parallel parking.

You may be interested in mud flaps as well. I'd hate to see that pretty Polar White body destroyed by road salt and gravel. Yes, they mix gravel in with the road salt to stretch it. Believe it or not, MB doesn't make mud flaps for the GLE43 Coupe, only the SUV (W166). I contacted MB Customer Support and they advised me that they have no plans to ever produce them. But, where there's a will there's a way. I found these online. Both look to be the exact same model, just from two different sellers. The installation does NOT require wheel removal. They use the GLE43 Coupe's existing screw holes, so no drilling is necessary.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...8.4.158.rBvecH

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_6715wt_1144

I've compiled a list of instructional videos that should help familiarize you with the GLE43 Coupe's main features. I also included a link to the PDF Owner's Manual and Command Manual. I know you'll get the printed versions once you take delivery, but there're advantages to using the PDF versions. You can do a "word search" and instantly locate any specific section within the manual. You can also create "bookmarks". I'm not sure if the free version of Adobe Reader has these features. I use Foxit Reader. It's a full-featured free PDF reader that allows you to edit PDFs and even input signatures.

Happy motoring!

Foxit PDF Reader: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...lass=GLE-Coupe

Attached Thumbnails 2017 GLE 43 Coupe-2017-mb-gle43.jpg  

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 12-01-2016 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gqstyle (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:50 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Ashtray or Storage Compartment?

I was told by a MB salesman that the U.S. GLE43 comes with an ashtray because it's a German vehicle. That's funny. On the MB Germany website the GLE43 comes with a storage compartment in place of the ashtray and a 12V outlet in place of the cigarette lighter.

If there are any non-smokers out there who would like to replace the ashtray with this storage compartment, I got the part no. from my Service Dept. They refer to it as simply "Insert". You can order it here:

https://mercedespartscenter.com/part...&siteid=215720

I plan to replace the cigarette lighter with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Now I'll have to see if I can do the same for the ashtray on the back of the armrest console.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 GLE 43 Coupe-insert-front.jpg   2017 GLE 43 Coupe-insert-rear.jpg   2017 GLE 43 Coupe-usb-charger.jpg  

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 12-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 AM

Audi A7
Thanks very much for all of this info. The PDF version is a fantastic idea!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:48 AM

Audi A7
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
gqstyle,

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Can't wait to see the pics. I ordered my 2017 AMG GLE43 Coupe (build attached) on 11/1/16. Estimated delivery date is late Jan/early Feb. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be picking your brain once you take delivery on Friday.

Since you're concerned with your wheels and you live in NJ, you may be interested in paint protection film as well. I'm formerly from PA, so I know about NE winters. See my post (also in this thread) about Expel Ultimate. This stuff is amazing! Unfortunately, I have no experience with wheel protection treatments. However, I can give you two pieces of advice. Always wash off road salt ASAP. Always use your 360 degree cameras and external rear-view mirrors (pointed down) when parallel parking.

You may be interested in mud flaps as well. I'd hate to see that pretty Polar White body destroyed by road salt and gravel. Yes, they mix gravel in with the road salt to stretch it. Believe it or not, MB doesn't make mud flaps for the GLE43 Coupe, only the SUV (W166). I contacted MB Customer Support and they advised me that they have no plans to ever produce them. But, where there's a will there's a way. I found these online. Both look to be the exact same model, just from two different sellers. The installation does NOT require wheel removal. They use the GLE43 Coupe's existing screw holes, so no drilling is necessary.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...8.4.158.rBvecH

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_6715wt_1144

I've compiled a list of instructional videos that should help familiarize you with the GLE43 Coupe's main features. I also included a link to the PDF Owner's Manual and Command Manual. I know you'll get the printed versions once you take delivery, but there're advantages to using the PDF versions. You can do a "word search" and instantly locate any specific section within the manual. You can also create "bookmarks". I'm not sure if the free version of Adobe Reader has these features. I use Foxit Reader. It's a full-featured free PDF reader that allows you to edit PDFs and even input signatures.

Happy motoring!

Foxit PDF Reader: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...lass=GLE-Coupe

Very nice config. I really like the 22" wheels! Thanks for all the info!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:41 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Very nice config. I really like the 22" wheels! Thanks for all the info!
You're quite welcome. Thanks for the compliment. The only thing I'm wavering on are the seats. I absolutely LOVE ventilated seats. I have them now and use them constantly. They're not available with the Porcelain/Black Nappa leather seats. Whose idea was that? I worry that I'll miss this feature. The one thing I know I won't miss is trying to apply leather cleaner and conditioner to the seats without plugging up hundreds of minuscule holes.

If I could get multicontour, massaging, ventilated seats in Porcelain/Black Nappa leather, I'd be in heaven. MB, are you listening?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
A Few Questions

gqstyle,

I hope you're enjoying the new ride. I know you'll probably spend the next few weeks exploring all of its features. That's why this is no rush. At your leisure, can you please answer a few questions for me? Many thanks!

Did your GLE43 Coupe come with an ashtray or the insert pictured?

Does the Dynamic Select knob retract to flush like in the GLS500 pictured?

Is there a way to "manually" open/close the rear hatch? I need to do this to test the clearance in my garage.

Is there a first aid kit included in the rear cargo area?
Attached Thumbnails 2017 GLE 43 Coupe-insert-front.jpg   2017 GLE 43 Coupe-gls-500.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
GLE43 Sube , If I may offer the following. Hopefully the CDN and US models are similar.

gqstyle,

I hope you're enjoying the new ride. I know you'll probably spend the next few weeks exploring all of its features. That's why this is no rush. At your leisure, can you please answer a few questions for me? Many thanks!

Our GLE43 is as pictured with no ashtray. I believe the ashtray is a European feature

No, the Dynamic Select knob does not retract and there is no second knob in front of it - there are the four selector buttons for raising the vehicle, DSR, vehicle screen display and manual mode.

Is there a way to "manually" open/close the rear hatch? I need to do this to test the clearance in my garage.

Yes, There are actually three methods to open the hatch.
1) using the switch on the driver's door will open and close the hatch. (you can also stop it or reverse direction using this switch)

2) using the key fob you can open and close the door.

3) there is manual a hatch release in the center of the rear bumper (underside) at the top of the rear licence plate. So long as you have the fob with you, the hatch can be opened by pressing this switch. (The regular body style GLEs have this at the rear licence pate as well). Once you release the hatch you can stop it at any point by pressing the electronic stop button (red) on the inside hatch (or using your hand to stop it for striking the door frame.) This red button on the inside of the hatch is also used to set the max height of the hatch to prevent it from going too high by pressing and hold the button. There are two red buttons. The button on the right while facing the hatch allows the operator to close the hatch and lock the vehicle with a single press. The hatch does have a safety feature to reverse (close or open) if it is obstructed.

There is a first aid kit.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:33 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by AS705
GLE43 Sube , If I may offer the following. Hopefully the CDN and US models are similar.

AS705,

Thank you. In looking at the CDN and U.S. websites, there are some differences in how they're equipped. I may have to wait and see about the ashtray. The one on the dealer's lot had an ashtray, but that's no guarantee they're still being shipped like that. They could have made a change mid-year. Both versions are shown in the owner's manual, with no explanation.

As far as the rear hatch, when I said "manually" I meant the entire process of opening and closing. E.g. physically lifting the hatch and moving it through the entire range. I know with some rear hatches you can completely turn off the power assist and open/close it like the old style.....manually.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
Originally Posted by GLRY2HIM
I'm new to the forum and the MB brand. We ordered our '17 GLE Coupe on June 1 and picked it up Aug 19. Absolutely love it so far. The fit and finish, interior quality seem to be top notch. And I LOVE the growl from the exhaust when 1st started after sitting a few hours! Or of course in Sport + mode. Killer rumble! I know this is almost one of those love it or hate it designs from what I've read, but the fact that these are a bit more rare makes it even more desirable for us. And of course having just purchased one, we are in the "Love it" crowd.

Polar White with black/porcelain seats. Here are a couple of pics.

I'll post a more detailed review after I've had it a couple of months. However, as of right now, we like everything about it!
With my ML550 coming off lease, I drove a '17 GLE43 with the thought this would be my next vehicle. I could not believe how much I hated it. The droning sound from the exhaust and more rapid downshifts than my E63S made it unbearable. Fit and finish is very nice though.

My ML550 sounds better, is much faster, and if it had warranty after April, I would keep it. Really disappointed but I think it is because all my other vehicles are V8's. It looks like I am going to pick up a leftover GL63 even though I don't need three rows.

Glad you enjoy yours...
Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450

My GLE Coupe config is:
Polar White
Black leather
Premium 2 Package
3-zone climate control
Parking Assist Package
Magic Vision Control

I'm not sure about the cost for the GLE Coupe wheels & tires insurance, but I was quoted $1800 for the GLC43 AMG.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
gqstyle,

No need, just park your car, open the rear hatch (underneath or use your key), then when the hatch reaches the height you want press the red STOP button on the hatch. Release and then long press to memorize the position. Done.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Medic8ed
No need, just park your car, open the rear hatch (underneath or use your key), then when the hatch reaches the height you want press the red STOP button on the hatch. Release and then long press to memorize the position. Done.
What I need to do is open the rear hatch "manually" with NO power assist to see if it will clear my garage door. Is this possible?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Anyone considering paint protection film? I'm a firm believer in this stuff. It protects your car's finish from all of those nasty events that are part of daily routine driving. Not all paint protection films are created equal. I can personally attest to the durability of Expel Ultimate. It's "self healing". I've had it on my current car for over seven years. It looks exactly like the day it was installed. My front bumper is in pristine condition and paint chip free! I plan on getting this for my new GLE43 as well. The kits below protect the most common areas. However, they can pretty much do any part of the car you want. The film is laser cut using a computer program for your specific vehicle. I'm also getting the headlights and door handle cups done as well. They'll even do the windshield!!!

How it works:

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-ultimate-pa...otection-film/

Installer locator:

http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clearbra_installers/

Kits for the GLE43 Coupe:

http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-...upe/AMG_GLE43/

The cost is very expensive to justify getting it.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by SmokinBuddha
The cost is very expensive to justify getting it.
Yes, I won't deny it is not cheap, but you don't have to get all of those sections covered. I would suggest the front bumper, front portion of hood and headlights at minimum. I buy, not lease, and I keep my vehicles for a long time. This is something you only consider if you plan on keeping the car for a good number of years and want it remain new looking.

Obviously, this is not for everybody. I just wanted to put the idea out there in case not everyone was aware there was such a product.