Sponsored By:

Debating GLE Purchase -- Few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 Luxury Package 2
Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
I have no experience with the MB Halogen headlights, but these multibeam LED headlights sound pretty impressive. Can anyone who has these comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMrz7byMn8

My wife's new 2017 E300 has this LED lighting feature, it is impressive in the 3 weeks that we've owned it, she does not drive much in the evening but the few times we have, I've noticed the functionality in contrast to her old 2009 C300.

In the meantime, I'm reading this thread as I deliberate replacing my Ford F250 with a SUV the super duty has more power than I need for the modest towing I have been doing and the aggravations of the Power stroke Diesel are becoming apparent!!!

The Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, Jeep GC Summit and the MB GLE350 are what I am studying now.

I'll be towing a trailer weight ~5000 pounds, wondering if anyone reading has experienced towing with the 350 and a V6, reasonable handling, acceleration and breaking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I tow a boat (3400lbs dry), then add in 51 gallons of fuel, trailer, people, and equipment and I think I'm around 5500lbs in my GLE400. Suprisingly it tows very well for that much weight, that small of a motor (3.0L), and that small of an SUV. But, being that it's a uni body vehicle, it sounds like the rear end is constantly crunching aluminum. I have also towed it out of many boat ramps and I don't think I've ever had any wheel slip or trouble pulling the boat up the ramp.
I'm use to having a large truck for all my towing needs and was a little worried about the GLE. Now I will not tow this thing for hours to get somewhere (my lake trip is about 45 miles one way) nor would I tow it like I would at higher speeds with my trucks, but I am really suprised at how well it tows for what I need.
Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
TaxmanHog (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Great feedback - and frankly Mercedes corporate downplays towing abilities - liability thing - where in other markets consumers are aware with factory tow package :

ESP programming adjusts when trailer is plugged in - makes a BIG improvement at speed vrs other SUV's that don't-know/don-t have-it

Cross-Wind Assist adjusts when trailer is plugged in - awesome

"Anti-See-Saw" added to ESP programming with trailer plug-in

Brake Controller connector pre-installed

Sh*t like this makes a BIG difference in comfort and safety with "normal tow'rs"
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 Luxury Package 2
Guy's appreciate the feedback!!

The dynamic ride & suspension controls are a selling point, uni-body flex will may not be as great an issue for me, I don't plan on any off road runs, but will be towing mostly highway miles ~200 miles round trip to the race track, and a few times a year ~2000 mile trips, if I'm attentive to load balancing in the trailer, keeping it near the 60/40 F/R ratio will help, I'm trailering a 7x14 v-nose box with twin-axles curb weight empty is 2200 pounds, the cargo is a 700 pound motorcycle drag bike and racing gear and tools, total load is probably less than 4000 including vehicle passengers.

The other models I am considering still have body on frame.

This article covers the points BAC made: https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ossover-245716