Debating GLE Purchase -- Few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Audi Q5 PP | 2013 Nissan Altima SL
Debating GLE Purchase -- Few Questions

All,

New member so please have patience as I am not familiar with MB. I currently own a 2014 Audi Q5 and cross shopping the 2017 Q7, X5, and the GLE. I test drove the GLE at the local dealership and was very impressed. However, I have a ton of questions as I don't believe I am getting the correct information from the sales guy.

1) Does the 2016 / 2017 GLE have Wifi? Is it 4G? The sales guy told me 4G but I've read 3G and some were shipped with Wifi and other components of MBRACE not working. Do you have to purchase a package? Is it unlimited data?

2) Are there any differences between 2016 and 2017 models worth noting?

3) What are the differences between the GLE 350 and GLE 400 aside from the motor upgrade? The sales man wasn't clear.

4) Is the MB-TEX vinyl or a leather? The sales guy made it very clear multiple times that it is "NOT VINYL" but a "composite leather." It is MUCH better than my previous X3 with vinyl.

5) Does the leather upgrade seat feel the same as the MB-TEX with regards to comfort? The MB-TEX seats were very comfortable.

6) Can you operate the navigation while driving? I was told you can use the voice recognition but need to be stopped to perform the basic functions such as setting the address.

7) How is COMMAND? Does it utilize Google Earth? Audi uses Sirius traffic (or at least the 2014 model did) and it sucks. I believe COMMAND uses Sirius Traffic as well.

8) Does Apple Play require the phone to be connected via USB (NOT Bluetooth) to function?

9) Does MB service depend on the dealership? My Audi / BMW experiences were fairly good. I view MB as a higher brand so I thought it might be a better experience.

10) Aside from factory warranty, does it make sense to consider extended warranty?

11) I typically negotiate via e-mail/phone with the sales manager / GM within 2-3 hour radius after I finalize the build. The last 2 cars were well under invoice and a good experience. Is this a good approach for MB?

12) Aside from these forums, are there any other online resources that can provide me accurate information?

I am sure I will have more. Many many thanks in advance.

Last edited by sagosto; 10-01-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 AM
ilz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE400
We have a '16 GLE400 manufactured in July '15 and were looking at similar models.

1. Ours has wifi, but is Verizon 3G which is not fast enough for any meaningful browsing. You can find threads here about 4g/LTE upgrades coming, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

2. There are some threads here breaking down '17 changes, but there doesn't appear to be any major changes.

3. Aside from the engine, the 400 comes with a lot of features standard that we would have wanted on the 350 anyways. After adding them to the 350, the cost difference was negligible, so we went with the 400.

4/5. Not sure about MB-Tex, but we went with the leather and it's great. I didn't like the texture of the MB-Tex

6. The navigation system is pretty dated. Especially when it comes to entering addresses. I can't remember if it blocks address entry while moving, but I think it does. You can still enter by voice, but that is pretty painful. We just mount the phone on a vent clip next to the screen and use Waze or google maps.

7. COMMAND had google earth functionality, but it was separate from navigation and they dropped support at the end of last year. The one thing that was nice that is gone was google street view on your destination. Traffic on the nav is supplied by Sirius and is so-so. It usually behind waze/google maps by 10-20 minutes.

8. We don't have apple play, but people here have mentioned that you need to be plugged in and it doesn't currently work over Bluetooth.

9-11. Not sure as we haven't had a service yet and didn't get the extended warranty.

12. There is another forum, MercedesWorld, but this is the most active I've seen.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by sagosto
1) Does the 2016 / 2017 GLE have Wifi? Is it 4G? The sales guy told me 4G but I've read 3G
2017 models have this listed on the full spec sheet:

362 HERMES Communication module LTE
Old 10-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4Matic
I just got my 2017 GLE 350 and first time having CarPlay. Seems to me it only works when connected with USB which kind of sucks.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
Some answers and opinions ...

All,

New member so please have patience as I am not familiar with MB. I currently own a 2014 Audi Q5 and cross shopping the 2017 Q7, X5, and the GLE. I test drove the GLE at the local dealership and was very impressed. However, I have a ton of questions as I don't believe I am getting the correct information from the sales guy.

1) Does the 2016 / 2017 GLE have Wifi? Is it 4G? The sales guy told me 4G but I've read 3G and some were shipped with Wifi and other components of MBRACE not working. Do you have to purchase a package? Is it unlimited data?

2) Are there any differences between 2016 and 2017 models worth noting?

3) What are the differences between the GLE 350 and GLE 400 aside from the motor upgrade? The sales man wasn't clear.

4) Is the MB-TEX vinyl or a leather? The sales guy made it very clear multiple times that it is "NOT VINYL" but a "composite leather." It is MUCH better than my previous X3 with vinyl.

5) Does the leather upgrade seat feel the same as the MB-TEX with regards to comfort? The MB-TEX seats were very comfortable.

6) Can you operate the navigation while driving? I was told you can use the voice recognition but need to be stopped to perform the basic functions such as setting the address.

7) How is COMMAND? Does it utilize Google Earth? Audi uses Sirius traffic (or at least the 2014 model did) and it sucks. I believe COMMAND uses Sirius Traffic as well.

8) Does Apple Play require the phone to be connected via USB (NOT Bluetooth) to function?

9) Does MB service depend on the dealership? My Audi / BMW experiences were fairly good. I view MB as a higher brand so I thought it might be a better experience.

10) Aside from factory warranty, does it make sense to consider extended warranty?

11) I typically negotiate via e-mail/phone with the sales manager / GM within 2-3 hour radius after I finalize the build. The last 2 cars were well under invoice and a good experience. Is this a good approach for MB?

12) Aside from these forums, are there any other online resources that can provide me accurate information?

I am sure I will have more. Many many thanks in advance.
Great questions - some similar to some which I just posted:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...questions.html

I was actually on the hunt last year but due to a bunch of things delayed it to now. FYI, I did actually look at the following. This is for a number of reasons, some specific to us:

1. We've always had BMWs and want a Mercedes for a change

2. The Mercedes feels more comfortable and is a little softer ride, but the 350 seems to lag from 30-50 MPH or so.

3. The back seat on the BMW DOES NOT lie flat when down - the Mercedes does. If you really need the SUV part of this, it does make a difference.

4. I did a quick pricing of a GLE 350 with options we wanted vs. a GLE 400 with options we wanted and came out with a delta of about $4600. So, essentially it looks like that might be the difference in engine and trim, but I haven't done the comparison in minute detail. The big differences in the 400 seem to be: metallic paint included, leather included, fancier wheels, the bigger engine, and I think Premium 1 package is included - not exactly sure if it is exactly same Premium 1 as in the 350.

5. The BMW X5 50i which is the comparable model to the GLE400 has 8 cylinders vs 6 cylinder for the 400, but the BMW engine is something that MUST be avoided. It is an 8-cylinder and I believe it is an "N63" which they have had terrible problems with in the 7 series.You can read about it.

6. From my experience it is VERY Difficult to get a 350 that is in stock with leather, or if so, it will be totally loaded with other options, so if leather is a must, it is best to go for a GLE 400 in stock or order a 350 or 400. We haven't ever had a car without leather, so I don't know how the MB Tex really feels, but when a neighbor came by with a 350 with MB Tex my other half thought it was leather! We may still need to really feel the seats to see if it makes a difference.

7. And yes, I would really like to see a definitive list of differences between a 2016 and a 2017, but since the GLE 350 was a newish model last year, I'm assuming there are not many differences.

8. From my experience, the best deal is usually by going directly to the sales manager or contacting him/her by phone, and saying that you would prefer to deal direct with him on price. He will still assign a salesman but it may go smoother that way.

I will look at the other replies you have gotten.

Good luck, and I'd be curious on what you finally decide on and why.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:57 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
MBTex is vinyl=plastic. Anyone that tells you ''composite'' or ''bonded'' leather is actually leather or closely related to leather is lying. Bonded leather is 90% vinyl and 10% of a thin leather film (boiled down crap from leather waste and stretched to infinity). Can't really be remotely classified as Leather product. It's like saying that laminate flooring is the same as hardwood flooring. Maybe tell that to your dealer next time.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line

4) Composite leather is a euphemism for vinyl. It is very much man made, and is vegan friendly if you are into that mindset. The sales person was yanking your chain quite hard.

5) I should have gone with the leather instead of MB-Tex, but my wife talked me out of it (budget constraint). MB-Tex does not breathe as well as leather does despite the perforations, so you will tend to get sweaty, and sticky. Comfort level of the cushion itself is very good, regardless of covering chosen.

6)The voice controls never worked for me compared to the 2012 Ford Focus I had previously. While driving, you can bring up previous addresses, but in order to enter a new destination, you must be in Park (ridiculous as the co-pilot could do this for you but no, the lawyers got in the way). As a workaround, I plug in my iPhone 6 and let Carplay navigate me.

7) I have yet to be notified of any rerouting to avoid traffic. I think it is defective (as in design flaw) or perhaps there aren't enough satellite radio subscribers in Montreal to give a proper data set to provide traffic rerouting.

8)Carplay only functions while connected via USB.

9) Service always varies depending on the dealer. MB, Audi, and BMW are all identical in the level of prestige and catering to their clientele, at least here in Canada. There are good ones like there are bad ones, and if you are lucky to be close to an excellent one, you will be pleased.

10)Depends on how long you tend to keep your vehicle, but I imagine the cost of the extended warranty can be negotiated as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... some good info posted... some not-so-good

1) MBTex is a synthetic top layer bonded over a cotton webbing base - MBTex is noted for its durability/less-creasing and long term wear markes - EZ clean up - and with the cotton backing - better distribution of heat across the surface - ie lesser "hot-spots" and more even seat heating.

2) When upgrading to standard leather or Designo - adding ventilation is recommended for summer sun

3) Personally COMAND NAV for me is strong - and YES voice comands are used in motion - don't know what the Canuck problem is - I just spent a week in a X5 on vacation - not THAT is a poor nav/infotainment system
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4Matic
As FYI, I took delivery of my 2017 GLE350 with Black MBTex and I'm very happy with it. Looks great, feels great.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
I Love the MB tex especially with Kids. Its so durable and very easy to clean. Traded in a GL I had for a couple years and the MB tex looked as new as it was the first day we got it. I'have leather in my other vehicles and it shows its age after a few months.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by baobay
I Love the MB tex especially with Kids. Its so durable and very easy to clean. Traded in a GL I had for a couple years and the MB tex looked as new as it was the first day we got it. I'have leather in my other vehicles and it shows its age after a few months.
Agree. I have never custom ordered a car. If the car I want at the dealer has leather, than I will take it. If not, I don't think I will select it. ALSO unless a special seat option (ex. sport seat) requires it.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE 350
2017 GLE 350 Headlight problem

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 2017 GLE 350. my old car was 2013 BMW 528i.
the headlight on the GLE are 1/3 as bright as the BMW, and the range is 30 feet at best, my BMW I can see 70+ feet. I've avoided driving the GLE at night, and MBZ dealer is telling me this is normal for GLE.! I don't think this GLE is safe at night, especially I drive in Hilly areas with few street lights.
Anyone else noticed this problem.? I know there is a $1200 upgrade kit, but I wish the Dealer told me that ONLY the Running Daylights they showed me were LED, but the headlights are 1990 model. Disgraceful. Even my 2004 E320 had stronger headlights. Is this like the Volkswagen Diesel secret.?
Thanks, M.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Agree. The stock halogen lights are a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT esp for a high priced lux SUV. A bunch of us have upgraded to HID. Do a quick search on the forum and you'll see. Very easy to do.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
If you do decide to perform an HID conversion, keep in mind you'll need an H7 canbus kit. We have top end Morimoto kits available if interested.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
If you do decide to perform an HID conversion, keep in mind you'll need an H7 canbus kit. We have top end Morimoto kits available if interested.
I have the Hylux 35W canbus kit. Does hylux make a 50W canbus kit? What are my options if I want to go with a 50W kit?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:08 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Morimoto has 35w and 50w options. Canbus enabled so error free.

Last edited by AZN Optics; 10-16-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Morimoto has 35w and 50w options. Canbus enabled so error free.
yes but Morimotto ballasts are not canbus enabled.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

yes but Morimotto ballasts are not canbus enabled.
The kit is canbus. Integrating the canbus component into the ballast increases the risk of premature failure as you're adding the primary heat generating element in the ballast box. Morimoto separated out the canbus component in it's own module so won't damage anything and also allows for more efficient cooling.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
The LED headlight is a must on this car as like many have mentioned, the halogen is a joke. No HID kit will compare to the OEM LED and that's one of the reasons why I stepped up from a 350 to a 400 as you will rarely find a 350 with the LED option and I truly question MB on this one.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
I'll give you some advice. Stay away and go with another company. They have taken a dive in the quality control department and I question the choices that are made on a vehicle of this price.

My issues after just 1 year and 14k miles.
1. the stock halogen headlights are HORRIBLE, the LED's now require a $6k package. Maybe the dealer can add it separately but if you don't have the upgrade you are basically blind at night (don't even think about driving in the rain especially with black pavement)
2. The adaptive transmission is garbage. They've handicapped the vehicle with it. If you drive both highway and city, you basically lose 25% of the power. It doesn't accelerate as it should. It constantly shifts to find gears. you'll try to go into another lane and it will stall then shoot you up to 6000rpm and jump forward. I've reset the ECU, it'll come back every few months. It's annoying and very unsafe.
3. The nav system is ok, but the interface is archaic. COMMAND has a nice screen but they don't take advantage of it. Why doesn't my music scroll across? Why is the album art tiny but takes up half the screen? nav is nice but it doesn't use google traffic and you can not enter an address if you're moving (can 't even override)
4. the remote start is VERY spotty, meaning, it works 25% of the time. You also don't have access to turn the heated seat/steering wheel on.
5. maybe this is just me, but the sunroof does not close completely if you have opened it vent mode, you have to actually open then close it otherwise you can hear road noise/most likely it will leak
6. My AC does not actually shut off when I hit the AC button. You can tell especially when it's humid beacuse the temperature doesn't change until you turn the ventilation system off then back on.
7. The ventilation system gets moldy/smelly fast- apparently it's "normal". This does not happen on our 2000 E320. You have to keep the AC on to prevent this which defeats the purpose of adaptive transmission.

These issues, except 5/6/7 can not be fixed, at all, it's how the vehicle will behave. I drove an X5 for a week in cali and LOVED it. I would also take a look at the Audi SQ5 prestige, which fully loaded has more features than the GLE at the same price point. Volvo is actually pretty up there and might be something to consider. I will admit the GLE has a smooth ride:handling at least for me, but it's not enough to justify all the other problems.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 PM

It's sad but true. GLE not worth the money too clunky and tranny is terrible. If you want the god fancy LEDs it's pricy. Standard options are so basic. What's the point of driving a luxury vehicle with old yellow halogen lights. On hours the door frames creak when driving over uneaten pavements and speed bumps. Also there is a knock underneath when turning although it doesn't always happen. I do like how the GLC drives and feels. I think for 50K it's worth it compared to Q3 and X3. The GLE however is not worth it for $70K.
I think the quality on the German made GLC is better compared to the US made GLE.

Originally Posted by nvsocr7
I'll give you some advice. Stay away and go with another company. They have taken a dive in the quality control department and I question the choices that are made on a vehicle of this price.
I don't
My issues after just 1 year and 14k miles.
1. the stock halogen headlights are HORRIBLE, the LED's now require a $6k package. Maybe the dealer can add it separately but if you don't have the upgrade you are basically blind at night (don't even think about driving in the rain especially with black pavement)
2. The adaptive transmission is garbage. They've handicapped the vehicle with it. If you drive both highway and city, you basically lose 25% of the power. It doesn't accelerate as it should. It constantly shifts to find gears. you'll try to go into another lane and it will stall then shoot you up to 6000rpm and jump forward. I've reset the ECU, it'll come back every few months. It's annoying and very unsafe.
3. The nav system is ok, but the interface is archaic. COMMAND has a nice screen but they don't take advantage of it. Why doesn't my music scroll across? Why is the album art tiny but takes up half the screen? nav is nice but it doesn't use google traffic and you can not enter an address if you're moving (can 't even override)
4. the remote start is VERY spotty, meaning, it works 25% of the time. You also don't have access to turn the heated seat/steering wheel on.
5. maybe this is just me, but the sunroof does not close completely if you have opened it vent mode, you have to actually open then close it otherwise you can hear road noise/most likely it will leak
6. My AC does not actually shut off when I hit the AC button. You can tell especially when it's humid beacuse the temperature doesn't change until you turn the ventilation system off then back on.
7. The ventilation system gets moldy/smelly fast- apparently it's "normal". This does not happen on our 2000 E320. You have to keep the AC on to prevent this which defeats the purpose of adaptive transmission.

These issues, except 5/6/7 can not be fixed, at all, it's how the vehicle will behave. I drove an X5 for a week in cali and LOVED it. I would also take a look at the Audi SQ5 prestige, which fully loaded has more features than the GLE at the same price point. Volvo is actually pretty up there and might be something to consider. I will admit the GLE has a smooth ride:handling at least for me, but it's not enough to justify all the other problems.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Agree 100%! I have a GLS450 and this lighting issue has left a very sour taste in my mouth. Neither the dealer nor MB are willing to step up. This is my last MB. Money wasn't an issue for me. I would have gladly put down the extra $1300 for the lights, but I was sold a bunch of BS by the dealer and frankly I did not imagine that an $80k vehicle can have such deplorable and unsafe
headlights as standard equipment.
Now I find myself putting after market HID kits on a "luxury SUV" that's supposed to be the "S class" of SUVs....WHAT A JOKE!

Last edited by baobay; 10-18-2016 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by baobay:
nvsocr7 (10-18-2016), xsever (10-22-2022)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear that. S stands for sh@t in MB world. How can you put such a low POS lights on a $80K vehicle. It's confusing how they sell you LED lights but then you find out it's not the real thing aka Inteligent LED wiith $7K option. What's wrong with MB? Instead of making their brand attractive to increase sales they've are pissing people off. I don't mind paying High price for a luxury vehicle but what's with all those quality problems. Luckily our dealership is good and attentive otherwise we would have walked away years ago. My wife likes MB. I'm happy with Toyota and Lexus silky smooth.

Agree 100%! I have a GLS450 and this lighting issue has left a very sour taste in my mouth. Neither the dealer nor MB are willing to step up. This is my last MB. Money wasn't an issue for me. I would have gladly put down the extra $1300 for the lights, but I was sold a bunch of BS by the dealer and frankly I did not imagine that an $80k vehicle can have such deplorable and unsafe
headlights as standard equipment.
Now I find myself putting after market HID kits on a "luxury SUV" that's supposed to be the "S class" of SUVs....WHAT A JOKE!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM

LOL ... I should say I drive a GLSh@t 450 with SH@T lights...only drivable during the day...at night you drive at your own risk...

Last edited by baobay; 10-18-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 PM

Went on my dealer's website and they have a GLS 450 MSRP little over $83k...without lighting package....I wonder which poor sap they'll sell it to....for $83k you get the same lights on a 1977 Chevy....actually the lights on the Chevy are most likely better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debating GLE Purchase -- Few Questions