Sponsored By:

Halogen to HID success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
if im not mistaken you need a different style adapter, it has a slit in it. i think theyre square
Thanks!

Yeah, going to cut a slot in these and glue them to the bulb plate
Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I also got the same kit from aznoptics and met the same stumbling block. I tried cutting the bracket, one kinda worked, one didn’t that well. I didn’t glue it though.
i just ordered the bracket with the slit from somewhere else, but really they need to update their kit to have the correct bracket.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Working with Morimoto on this. Apparently there's a new batch of bulbs in circulation with the wider sockets that doesn't fit into the bulb opening. For now, will have to cut a split in the adapter so you can feed the wires through. There are many adapters out there in the market for like $3-5 that already have a split opening if you don't want to cut the provided adapter though.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by ThemisN
I also got the same kit from aznoptics and met the same stumbling block. I tried cutting the bracket, one kinda worked, one didn’t that well. I didn’t glue it though.
i just ordered the bracket with the slit from somewhere else, but really they need to update their kit to have the correct bracket.

I cut a slot in the H7 holder but did not glue them yet. I am a bit hesitant to glue them now because with the slit in them it might make it difficult to glue them just right so they align correctly. I haven't tried to install them yet...will do this weekend.

Where did you find the H7s with the slot already in them? I looked on Amazon but couldn't find them. Can you please post a link?

I messaged Morimoto about the problem and they recommended I depin the connector and repin...I might buy a pair of unslotted H7s and try that if I can't properly install the bulbs as they are now with the slot.

Last edited by tootallll; 02-13-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Ok, you can remove the socket to slide the adapter through

https://youtu.be/X2tve--n1pw
Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Ok, you can remove the socket to slide the adapter through

https://youtu.be/X2tve--n1pw

Great...thanks for the vid link...that's what I'll do.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Working with Morimoto on this. Apparently there's a new batch of bulbs in circulation with the wider sockets that doesn't fit into the bulb opening. For now, will have to cut a split in the adapter so you can feed the wires through. There are many adapters out there in the market for like $3-5 that already have a split opening if you don't want to cut the provided adapter though.
While I’m considering HID options and this forum is an awesome source for information, what I’d like to know is shouldn’t kits come with the correct adapters?
If I identify my car and pick the bulbs and ballast, the last thing I’d expect is to modify a “plug-and-play” kit or stop to order additional parts.
How is the correct and complete parts kit ordered?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by GLE John
While I’m considering HID options and this forum is an awesome source for information, what I’d like to know is shouldn’t kits come with the correct adapters?
If I identify my car and pick the bulbs and ballast, the last thing I’d expect is to modify a “plug-and-play” kit or stop to order additional parts.
How is the correct and complete parts kit ordered?
I agree. It’s why we use a trusted source. The kit works great. It needs to be correctly completed. Those other adapters are like $12-15 after you factor shipping. Not what I wanted to do but at this point had to.
I can’t get either the ones I cut or those to turn 100% into position. I’m at like 95% I believe once are cut they lose the integrity to turn and sit in position and hold the bulb. I could’ve done this install in less than 30 mins for both sides. But this adapter BS has taken way too much effort and time. At this point the hid’s are in, I just won’t be surprised if one day they pop out.
The following users liked this post:
SUV John (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

You're absolutely correct. Because we part source HID components to put together this kit, Morimoto caught us by surprise with the shift in socket component before explaining to us that the socket could be disconnected. As such, during that period before that instruction came out, shoot us an email with your order number during that period and I'll issue you a refund for that piece.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
You're absolutely correct. Because we part source HID components to put together this kit, Morimoto caught us by surprise with the shift in socket component before explaining to us that the socket could be disconnected. As such, during that period before that instruction came out, shoot us an email with your order number during that period and I'll issue you a refund for that piece.
From what I've seen from this thread and several others, for satisfaction and reliability I'm leaning towards Hylux ballasts and Morimoto H7 bulbs.

Am I correct that for a 2016 GLE 350 I do not need any other wiring or parts to ensure no "bulb out" messages? Then, with my dealer telling me about overheating and troubles with retrofit lighting (I suspect they may be referring to peoples' choices of LED and poor quality bulbs being the factor there), I'd rather wait until I can get a truly plug-and-play kit. I prefer to use adapters and so on that do not need modification to then be concerned with long-term reliability.

Is waiting for manufacturing issues to be resolved the answer or are there proper bulb adapters, complete parts, and all that is needed available now?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
That combination is definitely the way to go, and is the setup I have, with the only issue being the adapters. Mike at Azn optics can provide you better info on the solution.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by GLE John
From what I've seen from this thread and several others, for satisfaction and reliability I'm leaning towards Hylux ballasts and Morimoto H7 bulbs.

Am I correct that for a 2016 GLE 350 I do not need any other wiring or parts to ensure no "bulb out" messages? Then, with my dealer telling me about overheating and troubles with retrofit lighting (I suspect they may be referring to peoples' choices of LED and poor quality bulbs being the factor there), I'd rather wait until I can get a truly plug-and-play kit. I prefer to use adapters and so on that do not need modification to then be concerned with long-term reliability.

Is waiting for manufacturing issues to be resolved the answer or are there proper bulb adapters, complete parts, and all that is needed available now?
No other part required. And no heating issue. This is a simple conversion, not a complex retrofit. And the bulb adapter issue has been resolved now that Morimoto made clear the bulb socket can be removed to slide the adapter through.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:22 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
No other part required. And no heating issue. This is a simple conversion, not a complex retrofit. And the bulb adapter issue has been resolved now that Morimoto made clear the bulb socket can be removed to slide the adapter through.
not so sure about that one, unless you tried it on the same ones you sent to me. I was unable to detach them.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

not so sure about that one, unless you tried it on the same ones you sent to me. I was unable to detach them.
The video Morimoto sent me that I posted was of the latest socket they said. I'm having them send me a one of the new bulbs so we can play around with it in house here, but you're saying the video and the bulb you have isn't the same?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
The video Morimoto sent me that I posted was of the latest socket they said. I'm having them send me a one of the new bulbs so we can play around with it in house here, but you're saying the video and the bulb you have isn't the same?
I don’t know about any video or what morimoto sent you vs what was sent to me. I know I tried to pull the wire by hand and no go. I tried to hold it with a pair of pliers and pulled it so to also not break anything and it did not budge at all. That’s why I gave up and cut the bracket. Now if someone needs to use excessive force, I don’t think that’s a viable solution.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

I don’t know about any video or what morimoto sent you vs what was sent to me. I know I tried to pull the wire by hand and no go. I tried to hold it with a pair of pliers and pulled it so to also not break anything and it did not budge at all. That’s why I gave up and cut the bracket. Now if someone needs to use excessive force, I don’t think that’s a viable solution.

This video link I posted up earlier (
)

Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
Hi,

I found a Hylux HID kit from the site below and was wondering what the difference is between these and the kit Azn Optics is selling. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/2015-201...am-hid-system/
Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

We use high end Morimoto XB bulbs, also include the mounting velco and the bulb adapter.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 PM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Took the wire pins off two different connectors on the Morimoto bulb, slid the H7 retaining clips on, and glued the retainer clips to the bulb retaining ring. De-pining (removing the wire pins from the connector) and re-pinning the connectors was easy I used a small jewelers screwdriver and used the video above for reference. I'll install the lights tomorrow

install the lights tomorrow.

Last edited by tootallll; 02-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300 Sport 4Matic
We use high end Morimoto XB bulbs, also include the mounting velco and the bulb adapter.
Ok cool. I noticed that user tootallll had to cut the H7 holder. Will I have to do the same? I don't think I have the proper tools to do what he did. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by jashic81
Ok cool. I noticed that user tootallll had to cut the H7 holder. Will I have to do the same? I don't think I have the proper tools to do what he did. Thanks!

No need to cut. I posted a video how to get around the large bulb socket to thread the adapter/holder through. And he didn't cut anything.... just use a push pin, sewing needle, tweezer, precision screwdriver, or whatever small pointed object to release the clip on the socket and the wire will slide out like in his picture.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
I cut a slot in the original H7 retainers included in the AZN kit but decided it seemed flimsy so I ordered more H7 retainers from ebay and installed them. I de-pinned the two connectors, slid the H7 retainers on, and re-pinned the connectors... that was fairly straightforward and went well.
The following users liked this post:
jashic81 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Installed the AZN HID 35w kit....it is not for the faint of heart. I am not 100% satisfied with the results but it is definitely better than the stock halogen bulbs. I found the H7 retainers do not push the bulb securely to the bulb socket resulting in some brightness loss. The drivers side fit pretty secure but I had difficulty with the passenger side as you can see in the video below. If I pushed the bulb securely to the socket the brightness improved. In the video you can see the brightness increase when I push the bulb into the socket. After about three hours of messing with it I gave up and accepted I was not going to achieve max brightness. It is an improvement over the stock halogen bulbs. I may mess with it some more another day
Process:
De-pin two connectors to slide on H7 retainer (two connectors each side)
Re-pin connectors
Slide H7 retainer on glue to bulb base
Drill hole in headlight protective cover for wire harness protective boot
Drill hole in metal bracket to attach bulb ground wire
Connect ballast wires and light control connector and test lights make sure come on... if it does not come on flip light control connector
Disconnect ballast wires and fish through headlight protective cover and seat rubber boot.
Put headlight protective cover on an reconnect wires.
Attach ballast to frame using supplied velcro
Attach ground wire to frame
Check lights make sure working properly
Replace headlight fenderwall access panel
Here are some pic and a vid

New HID on left, old halogen on right

Both HIDs installed

Fully installed

Last edited by tootallll; 02-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 PM

Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
First night using the new HIDs. The improvement in lighting is impressive... I'm happy

The weak link in this retrofit are the H7 retainers. if those retainers could be improved...not so flimsy... this would be a perfect retrofit. But overall im happy with the system. It does what it's supposed to, improve lighting.

Last edited by tootallll; 02-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Major props to all the guys that have done the HID conversion. Looks like a big improvement. Like everyone else, my 2016 came with halogens, but we have an E350 with the intelligent lighting, and it is light years better (no pun intended). So...I've been holding out for a complete Intelligent Lighting retrofit, figuring somebody, somewhere will put a package together...but so far no luck. I'm in the southeastern US, and the only shop I've found that says they can do it want $5k and are in the UK. Probably doesn't make financial sense but I like the car and will probably keep it longer if the wife is happier driving at night, so the costs sort of balance out...but if I can't find anyone to do it, it actually may make sense to trade it in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Halogen to HID success!