GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016/2017 GLE 350 headlight problem

Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
Well, people buy them with the halogens installed. I have wondered what the ratio of them sold with halogens versus LED/Xenons is. Not sure if buyers that have never used the upgraded lights are just wanting to save money on their purchase, that's what dealers are stocking for lower price points, some buyers just don't know any different so they don't actively look for the upgrade, etc. I'm sure it is some combination of all of them.
I haven't had the upgraded lights on any of my previous vehicles but after researching them, I thought it was a no brainer to prioritize the active LED lights on the vehicle when I began my search.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tbone8771
Well, people buy them with the halogens installed. I have wondered what the ratio of them sold with halogens versus LED/Xenons is. Not sure if buyers that have never used the upgraded lights are just wanting to save money on their purchase, that's what dealers are stocking for lower price points, some buyers just don't know any different so they don't actively look for the upgrade, etc. I'm sure it is some combination of all of them.
I haven't had the upgraded lights on any of my previous vehicles but after researching them, I thought it was a no brainer to prioritize the active LED lights on the vehicle when I began my search.
The price is negligible when you mass produce. This is my first nice car. It's my fault for not knowing, it's also the dealers fault for not informing. IMO, this whole debacle is a money grab by MB and it leaves a sour taste. A car of this magnitude should have some standards, headlights(which in essence is a big safety issue! These halogens are worse than my old 2005 Elantra) is one of them. I also didn't necessarily want all the active LED stuff, more moving parts. I simply wanted lights that you see on most standard vehicles now, the no-nonsense white lights with good beam pattern (ie HID/xenon)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml55 amg
The Halogen lights are really bad. Just tried to install Morimoto 55 watt H7 kit w/ canbus on 2017 GLE 350. Didn't work. Passenger side worked but not the driver side. I tried to even problem solve the new components switching back and forth to check if there was any defects that were sent to me. The car just doesn't like it.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 AM
c0w

2016 GLE350 4Matic
It happened to me as well. Switch to the Hylux and everything will work.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 RWD SUV (Premium 1, Parking Assist Package, H-K, I regret not getting Premium 2!)
Angry

i was just driving tonight in my '17 GLE, it's currently raining in Los Angeles. Totally terrible headlamps. I turned them on and off while driving and there was pretty much no difference. This car has been a nightmare (issues with interior quality, reliability, headlights) and I am so glad my lease ends in June.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:53 PM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by MA88
Hello All,
I recently purchased a 2017 GLE 350. my old car was 2013 BMW 528i.
the headlight on the GLE are 1/3 as bright as the BMW, and the range is 30 feet at best, my BMW I can see 70+ feet. I've avoided driving the GLE at night, and MBZ dealer is telling me this is normal for GLE.! I don't think this GLE is safe at night, especially I drive in Hilly areas with few street lights.
Anyone else noticed this problem.? I know there is a $1200 upgrade kit, but I wish the Dealer told me that ONLY the Running Daylights they showed me were LED, but the headlights are 1990 model. Disgraceful. Even my 2004 E320 had stronger headlights. Is this like the Volkswagen Diesel secret.?
Thanks, M.
DId you find a fix as I have taken my vehicle back several times and they refuse to fix it.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by MA88
1st, let's continue to file complaints with MB USA, also with NHTSA, DMV and US Dept of Transportation. the more GLE owners call and email these Orgs, the better for us to force MB to take ownership of this issue.

my MB Dealer said car is as designed. I asked them to draw papers to return GLE and Break the lease, as I won't drive it as is. they will get back to me with solutions. I know about the Halogen to HID kit, but surely I feel betrayed by Mercedes, and would rather not pay them any more money.
thanks for your support guys. It's a shame that such a nice SUV has to be such a pain in the ***. M.
I had no luck returning my lease or getting it fixed by dealer the sad thing is I love my car I just can't drive at night.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:24 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
It’s a joke that a $70K luxury vehicle comes with such low quality head lights. I had to spend an extra $7K to get the bi-xenon lights- super bright,
the LED aren’t that great either.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gle
I installed the 3rd party LASFIT light bulbs. They're super bright and make a huge different
The following users liked this post:
WN1X (01-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2020, 04:30 PM

GLE350
I have the Active LED Headlamps with Active Curve Illumination from P3. P2 and P1 have a different set of headlights ?
Originally Posted by Roni07
It’s a joke that a $70K luxury vehicle comes with such low quality head lights. I had to spend an extra $7K to get the bi-xenon lights- super bright,
the LED aren’t that great either.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Harish Gangidi
I have the Active LED Headlamps with Active Curve Illumination from P3. P2 and P1 have a different set of headlights ?
I heard at the MB dealer that many people ordered their vehicles with the LED lights (LED+small halogen in the same assembly) thinking that those LED lights are the bright ones. Lots of complaints about those lights as they are super dim, some folks won’t even drove at night. My wife knew that and she SpecificaLly asked for the Bi-Xenon Active head lights, I think it was another $7-10K extra for that option, as far as I recall. We love our lights super bright. Every time we rent and drive another vehicle with halogen or regular LED laps, we have a hard time seeing at night, as we are so used to our bright lights. I can actually see far ahead, as I’m driving.
our sales guy said many folks wanted to return/exchange the LEDs for the Bi-Xenon, after taking possession of the vehicle but MB said, No.

Last edited by Roni07; 03-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
My 2008 VW GLI (with cloth seats and a manual transmission) came with HID’s standard. The Infiniti I had after did too. Now this $60k+ sticker price GLE doesn’t. Crazy. First time since 08 I haven’t had them. As much as I hate it, going to have to do the HID retrofit.

I wish there was a way to add the OEM HID’s. I’d be willing to pay good money for that, but not replace the entire front end and rewire money it seems like it would take.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Taco1933
My 2008 VW GLI (with cloth seats and a manual transmission) came with HID’s standard. The Infiniti I had after did too. Now this $60k+ sticker price GLE doesn’t. Crazy. First time since 08 I haven’t had them. As much as I hate it, going to have to do the HID retrofit.

I wish there was a way to add the OEM HID’s. I’d be willing to pay good money for that, but not replace the entire front end and rewire money it seems like it would take.
There was the Halogen light then the New LED lights, which are better and brighter, folks assume that they are very bright , not so many many manufacturers put LED lights on their vehicles but hey are not the Real Deal - Bi-Xenon lights.

Toyota only puts regular LED lights no all of their vehicles. Bi-Xenon not an available option. Once you go up to Lexus then they have the Super bright LEDs (dint know what Lexus calls them)
I test drove a Toyota Sienna and it has horrible lights, could barely see at night.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic

I found a good article on auto trader that I thought would help "illuminate" this discussion

Xenons vs. LEDs: What's the Difference?

Although we'll spare you the technical details, a simplified explanation of the main difference between LED headlights and Xenons (sometimes called high-intensity discharge lights, or HIDs) is this: Xenon headlights are essentially very bright, ultraintense versions of normal light blubs, while LEDs use an entirely different process to create light -- one that relies on diodes and electrons rather than a filament and gas.

Because of their differences, the two types of lights have some advantages and disadvantages compared to one another. LEDs hold almost all the advantages, including size (they're smaller, which allows them to be fitted more easily in car designs), lifespan (they last longer) and energy consumption (they use very little). Not surprisingly, however, LEDs are a lot more expensive to make than Xenons -- and that's why many automakers have been holding off on using the technology until recently.
Which Is Best?If you're looking for the best possible illumination, we think LEDs usually outshine their Xenon headlight rivals. Of course, it depends on exactly how many LEDs are present -- but most modern cars with LED lighting technology seem to offer better illumination, a warmer light and an illuminated area that's a little larger than it is in most cars with Xenons.

With that said, Xenon lighting technology has come very far over the years -- and Xenons aren't exactly low on light. In most popular cars using Xenons today, the overall illumination would probably fall just short of LEDs -- if you can tell the difference at all. And while LEDs will last longer than Xenons, both will last for many years -- likely longer than most drivers will own their vehicles.

Which Should You Get?

If you have the opportunity to buy a car with LED headlights at roughly the same price as a model with Xenon lights, we suggest going for the LEDs. They use less energy, they offer slightly better illumination, and they'll last longer. But if the cost is dramatically more, we'd probably skip it. That's because Xenon headlights are also excellent -- and we'd have a hard time justifying a big price increase to get LEDs, given their relatively few benefits. As LEDs become cheaper to make, however, expect to see them in a wider range of vehicles.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Thanks for sharing. So LED are more costly to make than Bi-Xenon ? Wow. LEDs come standard and MBcharges a very big premium for Bi-Xenon lights.

OK I just found out what the Terminology issue is with these LED lights vs Bi-Xenon MB is offering on under “Lighting Package” on their vehicles, thus the confusion. Located my previous vehicles window stickers
-On my 2013 CLK 350, under Optional “Lighting Package” it says Bi-Xenon Headlamps with Active Curve illumination
- on my 2016 GLE350 it says Dynamic LED Headlights with Active Curve (no mention of Bi-Xenon)
MB charges the same $1,500 on both. The difference is, you can’t add the Bi-Xenons unless you pick the Premium Package $7,000.
Now, looking at both vehicles the headlights look the same.
I have seen on side-by-side GLE vehicles and the difference between the Regular Standard LED lamp compared to the Bi-Xenon lights is HUGE. Bi-Xenons are Extremely Brighter compared to the LEDs.
no wonder people were confused by MB switch in terminology when looking at the Lighting Options. Customer complained that the stock LED lights were so dim, that it was dangerous driving at night. I would have to agree. There are different versions of LED lamps but MB”s version is not very bright nor good, considering it’s a luxury vehicle.

Last edited by Roni07; 03-06-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:06 PM

2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
Thanks for sharing. So LED are more costly to make than Bi-Xenon ? Wow. LEDs come standard and MBcharges a very big premium for Bi-Xenon lights.

OK I just found out what the Terminology issue is with these LED lights bs Bi-Xenon MB is offering on under “Lighting Package” on their vehicles, thus the confusion. Located my previous vehicles window stickers
-On my 2013 CLK 350, under Optional “Lighting Package” it says Bi-Xenon Headlamps with Active Curve illumination
- on my 2016 GLE350 it says Dynamic LED Headlights with Active Curve (no mention of Bi-Xenon)
MB charges the same $1,500 for both. The difference is, you can’t add the Bi-Xenons unless you pick the Premium Package $7,000.
Now, looking at both vehicles the headlights look the same.
I have seen on side-by-side GLE vehicles and the difference between the Regular Standard LED lamp compared to the Bi-Xenon lights is HUGE. No-Xenons are Extremely Brighter compared to the LEDs.
no wonder people were confused by MB switch in terminology when looking at the Lighting Options. Customer complained that the stock LED lights were so dim, that it was dangerous driving at night. I would have to agree. There are different versions of LED lamps but MB”s version is not very bright nor good, considering it’s a luxury vehicle.
Roni07- you are still slightly confused...
Halogen lights are standard on the GLE Not LED’s.
Led’s are the ONLY upgrade.
i have the optional Led’s and they are Awesome!
Old 03-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chefcct
Roni07- you are still slightly confused...
Halogen lights are standard on the GLE Not LED’s.
Led’s are the ONLY upgrade.
i have the optional Led’s and they are Awesome!
Not True. I spoke to the MB Sals Rep about this
1. light assembly -you can see the smaller halogen light + standard LED
2. Light assembly with Bi-Xenon Lights aka Dynamic LED

Old 03-06-2020, 03:07 PM

2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
Roni07
Your first picture is the halogen lights and the second picture is the LED’s. The second large round projector in the first picture is not an LED type of light. You probably think it is because of the projector...

There are no bi- xenon’s available on this vehicle.

Bi-xenon or High Intensity Discharge lights are a type of very high intensity bulb that this car does not have.

Here is a VERY detailed explanation... Enjoy!
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ha...s-hid-vs-laser

Last edited by Chefcct; 03-06-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Roni07
Your first picture is the halogen lights and the second picture is the LED’s. The second large round projector in the first picture is not an LED type of light. You probably think it is because of the projector...

There are no bi- xenon’s available on this vehicle.

Bi-xenon or High Intensity Discharge lights are a type of very high intensity bulb that this car does not have.
First pic - The LED refers to the DRL.
I have both vehicles as I mentioned previously and confirmed by the MB window sticker, Both vehicles have the same light assembly, one says Bi-Xenon Dynamic Active Curve Assist lights and the other LED Active Dynamic Active Curve Assist lights.
i don’t know the electronics inside, I’m looking at both vehicle’s head light assembly and reading the description on the window sticker
Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM

2016 GLE 350 4-Matic

This car has the more intense HID bulbs instead of a “regular” halogen bulb.

This car has the LED lights as an option.
The standard lights on the GLE have the “regular” halogen bulbs and are not very bright as everyone has stated previously.
I hope this helps!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:42 PM

GLE350
COol, Looks like the P3 comes with upgraded lights. I'm really liking the active curve illimunation.

This car has the more intense HID bulbs instead of a “regular” halogen bulb.

This car has the LED lights as an option.
The standard lights on the GLE have the “regular” halogen bulbs and are not very bright as everyone has stated previously.
I hope this helps!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Harish Gangidi
COol, Looks like the P3 comes with upgraded lights. I'm really liking the active curve illimunation.
the lights are not an issue fir us, we love the super bright dynamic LEDs. I think it’s a huge letdown for MB to produce and charge a $70K vehicle with halogen lights.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:34 AM

GLE350
Aftermarket LED

Has anyone tried swapping out the halogens with the aftermarket LED's that you can buy from Amazon etc. for the H7 bulbs? Those look promising. Planning to do it on my '17 GLE350 that I just bought.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by JaySQ4
Has anyone tried swapping out the halogens with the aftermarket LED's that you can buy from Amazon etc. for the H7 bulbs? Those look promising. Planning to do it on my '17 GLE350 that I just bought.
I think what people (who aren’t trying to sell you LED headlights) will tell you is that, since LED’s emit light differently from halogens, they don’t work particularly well in halogen housings. You’ll probably end up with a really bright, white light that doesn’t project as far as your stock halogens.

People seem to be pretty happy with the HID swap though. https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...success-5.html
Old 03-21-2020, 05:10 PM

the lights are not an issue fir us, we love the super bright dynamic LEDs. I think it’s a huge letdown for MB to produce and charge a $70K vehicle with halogen lights.
Yep, not falling for the “star” again. It’s like having a second mortgage but in a vehicle, that’s slightly below Hyundai in quality and slightly below Kia in reliability.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016/2017 GLE 350 headlight problem