Sponsored By:

Halogen to HID success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC

Originally Posted by baobay
Yeah I'd like to see a pic if you can. Is it brighter? Are you saying the aftermarket HID is crisper/brighter?
Yea, I'll snag a few pictures tonight. Yesterday when I drove it in the early evening, I couldn't tell the difference between LED and HID. I'll wait until it's pitch black and get some good pictures. After seeing it yesterday, I'm not so sure there's a huge difference in terms of light output. I do REALLY like how the lights turn on and off though, it's a fade in and out and it's very nice to look at.
single car garage, im at the entrance. This is normal exposure(without tapping iphone screen)

same as before, but with auto-exposure

auto-exposure outdoors

regular exposure(similar to the initial photo)

Last edited by nvsocr7; 11-09-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added images
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
very similar to HID. Almost the same.
Thank you very much for posting!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC 300, 2016 GLE 350
checked my low beams

OK, Last night I got out the tape measure and tape and did a check of the low beam height since I think my GLE falls into the recall. At 25 feet the spot beam should be one inch below the actual height from ground to the projector. The factory setting was just a tad high. They were actually exactly the same at 6 inches from the garage door and 25 feet from the garage door. I lowered both sides so the spot was one inch lower. Both sides required the same number of turns on the adjustment screw, which was not much. I drove it and I honestly could not tell any difference. But it might help a tad for the on coming traffic. I have never been flashed since I did the HID retrofit. And I continue to be very happy with my HID retrofit. The HID's fixed the problem and the Hylux Canbus set mated to the Morimoto H7 adapter spec bulbs have worked flawless. And I will never ever ever buy another MB without the light package. If I ever buy another MB at all.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 PM
c0w

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic
Has anyone here heard of HID masters or have used this brand in the past?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by c0w
Has anyone here heard of HID masters or have used this brand in the past?
Nope, but if you want less problems I'd maybe stick to the items that work. MB is apparently finicky with their electrical system so you may get errors. I used morimoto's, other have used Hylux without any issue.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
W212 E63
Hey!

I just got my Miramoto kit. I went to their website and got the PDF diagrams, looks super straight forward.

My only question is, how the hell did you get your hands into the housing blind to unscrew the halogen and then to reinstall the HID? I have big clumsy hands and I can pop the cap off but I'm scared to reach in there. Do I need to disconnect the battery?

I tried to take a picture of the light connections so I can get an idea of what I'm working with and even that I can barely do. If I reach my fingers in there, do they just screw out? I mean is there any advice you can give?

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Hey!

I just got my Miramoto kit. I went to their website and got the PDF diagrams, looks super straight forward.

My only question is, how the hell did you get your hands into the housing blind to unscrew the halogen and then to reinstall the HID? I have big clumsy hands and I can pop the cap off but I'm scared to reach in there. Do I need to disconnect the battery?

I tried to take a picture of the light connections so I can get an idea of what I'm working with and even that I can barely do. If I reach my fingers in there, do they just screw out? I mean is there any advice you can give?

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!
Hey, so go to the first post. So, if you think about the orientation being the same as what you have. The sides where you have the symmetrical but opposite facing flanges? That's the housing. You see the metal ring that's bent? That's the bulb housing, on stock it's circular and fits nicely around the bulb. I put my thumb/index basically parallel to the orange/black connectors and twisted. in this case, you would twist counterclockwise as the flanges are a "funnel" for the clips. When you remove the bulb, there will two flanges perpendicular to your fingers, that is basically what will funnel into the housing and you twist(it uses pressure if you will). use your camera phone and try to grab a few shots to see the orientation, that's what I did to get this one. as soon as it loosens, don't remove it, twist it back and forth so you get an idea of what that feels like to re-lock, otherwise its a pain in the *** to know if you seated it properly. The new bulb/ring should fit in a similar manner if i recall. it'll take some playing around. Start early in the day so you have time. Hopefully that helps. It was just a lot of playing around. If you cant get your hands in there you may want to see if a friend can help you out. I didn't disconnect the battery but it doesn't hurt TBH.
The following 2 users liked this post by nvsocr7:
ALDEJESUS (01-25-2017), TheVazha (01-29-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:48 AM

take the wheel off. That will give you much better access. That's what I did and I could see it clear as day.
The following users liked this post:
TheVazha (01-29-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
Hey, so go to the first post. So, if you think about the orientation being the same as what you have. The sides where you have the symmetrical but opposite facing flanges? That's the housing. You see the metal ring that's bent? That's the bulb housing, on stock it's circular and fits nicely around the bulb. I put my thumb/index basically parallel to the orange/black connectors and twisted. in this case, you would twist counterclockwise as the flanges are a "funnel" for the clips. When you remove the bulb, there will two flanges perpendicular to your fingers, that is basically what will funnel into the housing and you twist(it uses pressure if you will). use your camera phone and try to grab a few shots to see the orientation, that's what I did to get this one. as soon as it loosens, don't remove it, twist it back and forth so you get an idea of what that feels like to re-lock, otherwise its a pain in the *** to know if you seated it properly. The new bulb/ring should fit in a similar manner if i recall. it'll take some playing around. Start early in the day so you have time. Hopefully that helps. It was just a lot of playing around. If you cant get your hands in there you may want to see if a friend can help you out. I didn't disconnect the battery but it doesn't hurt TBH.
That's amazing advice, thank you. I guess I'll take some more pictures and familiarize myself with the set up. That's great advice to not pull the bulb out right away and just twist it a couple times. Get that hand trained!

Originally Posted by baobay
take the wheel off. That will give you much better access. That's what I did and I could see it clear as day.
This is interesting too. What all is involved in removing the wheel? I assume I need to remove the wheel well plastic cover as well? Where do I access the clips for that?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM

no need to remove the wheel well cover at all. There is an access point to the back of the headlight through the wheel well. There's a small cover which is easily removed and then inside the wheel well you twist off the cap for covering the headlight assembly.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Amazing! Did you have the car sit on the jack or did you buy a stand thing?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM

it sat on the jack while I did it
Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Ok gents, this is where I am and I am a bit confused. Help is much appreciated.

Halogen to HID success!-hidwiring.jpg

In the above picture, does A. or B. plug into the CANBUS? I'm unclear because when I unpackaged the HID system, my CANBUS was already fitted with the (A.) part. I have it pictured here, this is how my CANBUS arrived:

Halogen to HID success!-hid1.jpg

Here is a picture of my bulb:

Halogen to HID success!-hidbulb.jpg

And a picture of my clips:

Halogen to HID success!-hidclip1.jpg

Upon a test fitting, the bulb does not fit into the clip. I can stretch it a bit on the sides but it does not seem natural, meaning I doubt I have to modify it with pliers and muscle to make them fit. Are these the correct clips?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Ok gents, this is where I am and I am a bit confused. Help is much appreciated.

In the above picture, does A. or B. plug into the CANBUS? I'm unclear because when I unpackaged the HID system, my CANBUS was already fitted with the (A.) part. I have it pictured here, this is how my CANBUS arrived:

Here is a picture of my bulb:

And a picture of my clips:

Upon a test fitting, the bulb does not fit into the clip. I can stretch it a bit on the sides but it does not seem natural, meaning I doubt I have to modify it with pliers and muscle to make them fit. Are these the correct clips?

So, this is the ****ty part. You need the one with the square hole and the gap between. For some reason with the new bulbs, vendors are sending out new clips and they do not work. It makes no sense to me. Morimoto should have just designed clips for euro cars that fit their bulbs.

Check out the first few pics. It HAS to be that one. Retrofitsource sent mine. I ordered them twice, first time i got the correct ones second time incorrect(wanted to see if the other ones fit). When you contact them, specify the ones you need. I think aznoptics also has them, he's big around here, hopefully he can help us out. Again, it must be the square hole with the gap in between; see: post 1. Do not modify your original OEM ones. You'll have to buy a whole new headlight assembly if you want the OEM ones back.

Canbus A, you don't need. B plugs into canbus. A is for checking to see if the lights work; you end up plugging in the two wires(green) with the spades into the car power plug (the polaritys matter so if it doesn't work the first time, turn the car off, and switch the spades). Everything else is correct.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
I've got him squared away. He's getting the adapter spec bulbs that will fit the adapter.
nvsocr7 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
So, this is the ****ty part. You need the one with the square hole and the gap between. For some reason with the new bulbs, vendors are sending out new clips and they do not work. It makes no sense to me. Morimoto should have just designed clips for euro cars that fit their bulbs.

Check out the first few pics. It HAS to be that one. Retrofitsource sent mine. I ordered them twice, first time i got the correct ones second time incorrect(wanted to see if the other ones fit). When you contact them, specify the ones you need. I think aznoptics also has them, he's big around here, hopefully he can help us out. Again, it must be the square hole with the gap in between; see: post 1. Do not modify your original OEM ones. You'll have to buy a whole new headlight assembly if you want the OEM ones back.

Canbus A, you don't need. B plugs into canbus. A is for checking to see if the lights work; you end up plugging in the two wires(green) with the spades into the car power plug (the polaritys matter so if it doesn't work the first time, turn the car off, and switch the spades). Everything else is correct.
Awesome, thanks brotha, you have cleared it up perfectly!

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
I've got him squared away. He's getting the adapter spec bulbs that will fit the adapter.
Mike you sir are a doll. AZN was ON IT and I'm awaiting by new bulbs. Two thumbs up for CS.
nvsocr7 (01-30-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
I've installed the HID's. Here's where I 3M'd the hardware..:

Halogen to HID success!-hid2.jpg

Halogen to HID success!-hid1.jpg

Here's a side by side of the Miramoto 5500 and the stock halogen:

Halogen to HID success!-hidhalo.jpg

How does my set up look. Does it need to be adjusted? I'm concerned about the far right side throwing off a bit. I will wait until tonight to get some good shots in the open..

Halogen to HID success!-hidbeam2.jpg

Halogen to HID success!-hidbeam.jpg
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 AM

looks good.
I wouldn't adjust anything.
TheVazha (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
^ Awesome, thank you!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE Mercedes 300d
Hi,

I contacted dealership, they said they are ready to install HID for me.

Could some one help me how much the HID equipment will cost and where can i order it.

Shall I go with marimoto or hylux. 35 W or 55 W confused?

Dealership said they will charge me $140 an hour and they don't like cutting any wires.

Does this install requires cutting or splicing of wires or this is uses harness that does not require cutting or splicing?

Please list me all components that I should order along with the bracket in which it will fit. And also will which clip i have to order and do they have to cut or do something to make it fit.

Please provide links for purchasing components.

I will have to explain all details to dealership in order for them to do in less time that would save me money.

Please provide links to buy from.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by siquadri
Hi,

I contacted dealership, they said they are ready to install HID for me.

Could some one help me how much the HID equipment will cost and where can i order it.

Shall I go with marimoto or hylux. 35 W or 55 W confused?

Dealership said they will charge me $140 an hour and they don't like cutting any wires.

Does this install requires cutting or splicing of wires or this is uses harness that does not require cutting or splicing?

Please list me all components that I should order along with the bracket in which it will fit. And also will which clip i have to order and do they have to cut or do something to make it fit.

Please provide links for purchasing components.

I will have to explain all details to dealership in order for them to do in less time that would save me money.

Please provide links to buy from.

Parts are listed all throughout this thread
1. BAllast: Hylux or Morimoto 35watt. Either works. Hylux seems a bit more compact, never used them, morimotos come sealed and have been fine for me even in subzero michigan winters. I used retrofit source for mine, but some people haven't gotten the appropriate euro clips from them (See #5)
2. Need to get the canbus, not harness
3. don't need the resistor
4. I like the 5500k bulbs, more white. get 4 not 2(in case something happens). You need H7
5. 2 euro clips- MUST be the square center(use aznoptics) with the gap

You have to cut hole in the bulb housing cap, it's plastic.
No cutting of wires or splicing
It will probably take them 4-5 hours to do if they are asking for instructions in detail. Probably 1-2 hours for an experienced person who has done this on H7/Mercedes benz vehicles more than once. Maybe check out a third party custom car shop, they probably do this more often. The dealer doing it sounds weird to me but I guess each dealership is different. You're better off doing it yourself if you have to explain it to them in detail. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how other cars were done; only difference here is we have the worlds ****tiest bulb setting(H7). Take the day and attempt. worst case, you can't get them in and you have to put the halogens in until you can try again. I've never done anything like this and was able to figure it out.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
You may actually have to readjust your light positioning. My headlights were 4 inches TOO LOW, from the factory.... I did the adjustments based on a chrisfix video and TRS with measurements and all (see below). After I brought them up, I can see much more, not a single person has flashed their lights at me, and at 25 feet the cutoff hits just below the black window of the car in front of me (ie not blinding them) which is exactly what I see in other vehicles(I could probably lower it a few notches to make it true OEM). Give it a try and see. Also, you do not need an allen wrench, a philips will do just fine(the philips portion is farther below the hex portion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDudMM4J-ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03fHzDEHVV4
My driver side is slightly higher. Can you please point out where the horizontal adjustment screw is on the GLE headlight? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:41 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by alextclam
My driver side is slightly higher. Can you please point out where the horizontal adjustment screw is on the GLE headlight? Thanks.

nvsocr7- Please read above. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by alextclam
nvsocr7- Please read above. Thanks.

This is probably the best way to show where its approx location is
alextclam (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 02:36 PM

2016 GLE350 4MATIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuT7fZs5OLc This is probably the best way to show where its approx location is
Thanks! Gonna give it a try later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Halogen to HID success!