Sponsored By:

2018-19 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
2018-19 GLE

My lease on my MDX is up in the next year and need to start looking for vehicle for the wife and kids. After looking at loaded Tahoe's and Yukon's, you can get a GLE for the same price, just no 3rd row seat. After doing some research, the GLE is going through a makeover for either 2018 or 2019. I hope the timing is right for the GLE. Any news besides this? Not a BMW or Audi fan, MDX is alright, nothing special.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mercede...-ar173700.html
Old 11-27-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Why aren't you an Audi fan? IMO, the GLE is not the car it should be. It's great on paper but there are tons of little things that other companies are doing much better for the same price. This is coming from a GLE350 owner. MB has started to make the finer things of a vehicle as an after thought (**** and buttons are cheap plastic, adaptive tranny is bull****, you have to for literally every upgrade which are standard on most cars, no turbo/super charger, the MB app is garbage). Seriously, look at the interior of the new Q7, it's very impressive.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
Why aren't you an Audi fan? IMO, the GLE is not the car it should be. It's great on paper but there are tons of little things that other companies are doing much better for the same price. This is coming from a GLE350 owner. MB has started to make the finer things of a vehicle as an after thought (**** and buttons are cheap plastic, adaptive tranny is bull****, you have to for literally every upgrade which are standard on most cars, no turbo/super charger, the MB app is garbage). Seriously, look at the interior of the new Q7, it's very impressive.
The Audi dealership is far from where i live and they are a very elite dealershp selling all other exotics. They make you pay. The Mercedes dealer is half the distance, reliable and fair. Plus the Q7, while it do like it, reminds me more of a station wagon than an SUV. The dealership is is what is keeping me away.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rgiorgio
The Audi dealership is far from where i live and they are a very elite dealershp selling all other exotics. They make you pay. The Mercedes dealer is half the distance, reliable and fair. Plus the Q7, while it do like it, reminds me more of a station wagon than an SUV. The dealership is is what is keeping me away.
That's fair and understandable. I wouldn't go with the GLE at this point in time though. Maybe wait for the refresh to come out and really give it a good test drive. The adaptive transmission is a poor design feature that you simply can not get around. IF you're driving like a grandma (never rev above 3000rpm), then it may not bother you, but I can definitely feel the shift changes and i am not a fan. If you do decide to get the GLE, you'll have to get plenty of features added in (you must and i mean MUST get the upgraded headlights)
Old 11-28-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
I second the above. Don't buy a GLE as the tech in the car is outdated and it is apparent that the interior parts comes from MB's recycle bin where the radio and HVAC buttons are the same as the ones from the 2009 C350 that I had years ago. The internet connectivity in the car is BS since nothing works from day 1. And yes, the Q7 is much nicer and technologically way more advanced than a GLE and yes, I do own a GLE400 but not by choice.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by rgiorgio
I would take a look at a cayenne or X5 instead. Just don't waste your money on a GLE as it is really not worth it unless you can get it at a huge discount. If you must get a MB SUV, go for a GLC instead.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
I find the commentary interesting. I just took delivery of my third GLE (2013 ML, 2015 ML, 2017 GLE) and I have seen the evolution and understand what some are saying. A new model Mercedes (2017 SL) use the same style buttons because that is Mercedes style... I believe 2019 will have a full redesign. I would recommend a short term lease (30 months) or look at swap a lease and takeover someone else's lease. I personally have no interest in an Audi or BMW. The X5 literally looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Pass!

Mercedes... the best or nothing
Old 11-28-2016, 12:53 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hutch300
I find the commentary interesting. I just took delivery of my third GLE (2013 ML, 2015 ML, 2017 GLE) and I have seen the evolution and understand what some are saying. A new model Mercedes (2017 SL) use the same style buttons because that is Mercedes style... I believe 2019 will have a full redesign. I would recommend a short term lease (30 months) or look at swap a lease and takeover someone else's lease. I personally have no interest in an Audi or BMW. The X5 literally looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Pass!

Mercedes... the best or nothing
'

What makes them the best? What have they done that is beyond what any other company is doing? (I'm talking about your basic amenities, not the 6000$ headlight system that is still in testing phases). There are many other companies that are doing things better; hell Honda is doing side view cameras for when you change lanes and has HID as standard. The buttons may be the "style", but that style is cheap IMO (the buttons on our 2000 E320 are much better than the GLE). The command system is archaic compared to BMW and Audi and does not utilize space properly; you can't even enter a destination while the car is moving (Good safety feature but has it's problems too). The Audi q7 uses a better ZF transmission with a super charger which is far smoother than what you get on the GLE, and they don't use adaptive transmission. The BMW may look the same, but the interior is better (although, more expensive). These are all new changes that were not present 10 years ago in MB. There are of course tons of people who don't care about any of the above and love their GLE, but for some it may be a deal breaker.

Last edited by nvsocr7; 11-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davezaristo (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM

2022 GLE450
The nav thing is a government regulation and the same in BMW and Audi. You can however use voice command to enter a destination easily while the vehicle is moving. I have been very happy with Mercedes and find BMW and Audi interiors feel cheap, especially the BMW steering wheel. Most of you commentary is preference and I don't think is in line with the general feeling of the vehicle. As far as what makes them the best... that is the brands tag line... I wasn't saying the GLE is the best.

The GLE does however offer a lot of great features while being a Top Safety Pick (Q7 is, X5 is not). The command system is a tad complicated and takes getting used to. I find this is true in all new cars, people just tend to complain about what they don't understand. BMW was never known for being easy to use... iDrive. The GLE and Q7 have better cargo areas than the X5, something that is important to many. I just have never been an Audi fan, I struggle to classify them as luxury (I know, flame me for it but I just don't). The BMW I want to like, I just don't.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hutch300
The nav thing is a government regulation and the same in BMW and Audi. You can however use voice command to enter a destination easily while the vehicle is moving. I have been very happy with Mercedes and find BMW and Audi interiors feel cheap, especially the BMW steering wheel. Most of you commentary is preference and I don't think is in line with the general feeling of the vehicle. As far as what makes them the best... that is the brands tag line... I wasn't saying the GLE is the best.

The GLE does however offer a lot of great features while being a Top Safety Pick (Q7 is, X5 is not). The command system is a tad complicated and takes getting used to. I find this is true in all new cars, people just tend to complain about what they don't understand. BMW was never known for being easy to use... iDrive. The GLE and Q7 have better cargo areas than the X5, something that is important to many. I just have never been an Audi fan, I struggle to classify them as luxury (I know, flame me for it but I just don't). The BMW I want to like, I just don't.
All fair points. Some of my gripes are preference, but there are some issues which simply exist as a result of the new MB culture. The Command center isn't difficult to use at all, it's simply not laid out properly; it doesn't scream luxury when I look at it compared to the other vehicles despite their how difficult/easy it is to operate.

Just look at this interior:
It's streamlined and the TFT command cockpit stuff is amazing (Some may find it tachy, but I personally love these types of displays)

I can understand that Audi doesn't scream luxury, I had those same thoughts and didn't even bother to look when I got my GLE, but now AUdi has stepped it up IMO(At least with the Q7).
Old 11-28-2016, 02:40 PM

2022 GLE450
I have not been able to get into the angular look they have. I am guessing the next gen will see some updates. The hard part for all automakers is the items that used to differentiate the luxury segment are now found on everything. Luxury automakers need to come up with something new to spice it up. For me function and layout are important. I also am honest in saying I am heavily biased to MB as I am very used to their designs/tech. I do love all the newer safety tech, I have seen some of the big crashes on here members have had and am impressed they walk away safely. When this lease ends I might consider a G wagon, probably a year old/certified. They are just so much more expensive.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Originally Posted by davezaristo
I would take a look at a cayenne or X5 instead. Just don't waste your money on a GLE as it is really not worth it unless you can get it at a huge discount. If you must get a MB SUV, go for a GLC instead.

When I ordered my GLE I test drove all X5 3.0d M pack, X5 4.0d, GLE 350d.
The X5 without M suspension feels too bulky and unstable when cornering. With the M suspension the ride feels much more controlled but is extremely hard in case the surface is not perfect, especially with transversal bumps on the road surface at high speed. On everyday basis driving on not so perfect roads, definitely the GLE offers a better comfort, and also the stiffness of ride differs much more with the Airmatic suspension from comfort to sport compared to the adaptive suspension of the X5 where sport and comfort are much similar.
The noise level at least with the diesel engines in the GLE is significantly lower than in the BMW, it feels really quiet inside. I the same time the 9 speed G-tronic is not shifting so differently than the 8 speed ZF of the BMW, especially in normal driving conditions. The conclusion is everything is a matter of taste, the X5 feels more nervous and a bit faster, the GLE is much more comfortable and in sport mode wouldn't say slower than the 3.0d X5. Yes, the BMW is more spacious inside than the GLE. From the outside for me the GLE looks nicer and has more SUV like exterior than the van-like back part of the X5.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I really get a HOOT out of the "Augmented Reality X-Perts" for the comments they swipe from online reviews and tag as their "experienced option"...

The feedback I look for are those buyer's (or non-buyer's) who have actually gone out and personally test drove comparable models.

These are the posters on this forum that express in very straight forward terms what they experienced 1st hand that they liked and what they didn't like - and frankly most of those same "experienced buyer's" are open minded enough to freely admit others might place different value on each of the same specifics...

The rest are blustering poser's - at best good for a hearty chuckle..

Keep the beat !
Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 AM

All fair points. Some of my gripes are preference, but there are some issues which simply exist as a result of the new MB culture. The Command center isn't difficult to use at all, it's simply not laid out properly; it doesn't scream luxury when I look at it compared to the other vehicles despite their how difficult/easy it is to operate.

Just look at this interior: https://youtu.be/IQNdpEItLwY?t=491 It's streamlined and the TFT command cockpit stuff is amazing (Some may find it tachy, but I personally love these types of displays)

I can understand that Audi doesn't scream luxury, I had those same thoughts and didn't even bother to look when I got my GLE, but now AUdi has stepped it up IMO(At least with the Q7).
The side by side comparison really makes the interior of the GLE looks like a "classic".
Old 11-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
We are not so impressed with our 2014 Audi A6 TDI. The handsfree calls sound horrible, like sitting in a high speed train and it's hard to have a conversation without having to repeat a lot. The handsfree in our 2014 ML on the other hand works flawless and clear. Mercedes instruments are practical and don't need much getting used to, the Audi instruments on the other hand are too cluttered for my taste. There have been some issues with the breaks that Audi never fixed properly and we can't wait for Audi to buy it back since they cheated the emissions. The TDI engine doesn't run as smooth as the bluetec engine and overall Audi quality doesn't match up to Mercedes standard. We are not happy with the engine options that Mercedes offers in the US and we are considering to replace the Audi with a BMW for that reason. If you like Audi's styling better than Mercedes that's fine but statements like "Mercedes is crap because they have no turbos" is just wrong on all levels.
The following users liked this post:
hutch300 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 AM

2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I really get a HOOT out of the "Augmented Reality X-Perts" for the comments they swipe from online reviews and tag as their "experienced option"...

The feedback I look for are those buyer's (or non-buyer's) who have actually gone out and personally test drove comparable models.

These are the posters on this forum that express in very straight forward terms what they experienced 1st hand that they liked and what they didn't like - and frankly most of those same "experienced buyer's" are open minded enough to freely admit others might place different value on each of the same specifics...

The rest are blustering poser's - at best good for a hearty chuckle..

Keep the beat !
I think we were pretty clear about bias and what we do and do not like. I know I have owned multiple ML/GLE's with three different engine combo's in this generation alone and I have also drive the competition as well as most luxury vehicles on the road so I consider my option valid.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
I'll be honest, I find the GLE interior quite dated.
-Yes the wood is nice, but there is more to an interior than that.
-Telephony is okay in terms of operation, but at least the microphone and speaker clarity are great.
-Voice recognition is wonky and never works for me. My Ford's SYNC was flawless in operation and logical (to me).
-The turbo-diesel has lag from a coasting 5km/h and comes across as gutless until the turbo spools up. After that, no complaints.
-External colour options are boring. I would have chosen Hyacinth Red, but it was too late to order one from the factory with the options we wanted, so we had to settle for Cavansite Blue.
-I would have preferred the X5, but the smaller trunk eliminated it.
-The dealer experience eliminated the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel 4X4 from the final two choices we went for.

I'll add more later, it's just that I'm at work and it's quite busy. (typing this out took me a stupid 3 hours!)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Originally Posted by tiri
I'll be honest, I find the GLE interior quite dated.
-Yes the wood is nice, but there is more to an interior than that.
-Telephony is okay in terms of operation, but at least the microphone and speaker clarity are great.
-Voice recognition is wonky and never works for me. My Ford's SYNC was flawless in operation and logical (to me).
-The turbo-diesel has lag from a coasting 5km/h and comes across as gutless until the turbo spools up. After that, no complaints.
-External colour options are boring. I would have chosen Hyacinth Red, but it was too late to order one from the factory with the options we wanted, so we had to settle for Cavansite Blue.
-I would have preferred the X5, but the smaller trunk eliminated it.
-The dealer experience eliminated the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel 4X4 from the final two choices we went for.

I'll add more later, it's just that I'm at work and it's quite busy. (typing this out took me a stupid 3 hours!)
Do you think the X5 3.0d has less turbo lag? I think the BMW gas pedal is more sensitive, otherwise both cars react similarly, the X5 jumps a bit in start, the Merc is smoother, unless you don't floor the right foot. But still they both have some lag, even the 4.0 d bmw has it, which is biturbo, feels very close at speeds under 160-170 km/h
Old 12-02-2016, 11:21 AM

2022 GLE450
I don't find the ML/GLE to be perfect, it does however offer me what I am looking for. I want an SUV, not too big (GLS) and not too small (GLC). I want to be able to haul lots inside, I want to have great Bluetooth, and a nice white (I only buy white). I also like the styling more than its competitors. The only thing that came close for me was the Range Rover Sport. I liked it a lot but all the quality issues on the forum scared me away.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
First my biggest piece of advice to anyone......never listen entirely to people's opinions. Take them under advisement and learn from them but at the end of the day the way you enjoy a car should only matter to you. It bugs the hell out of me when people can't let other people have their opinions. Because guess what?! They aren't buying it you are and you are the one driving it! Just my 2 cents.......

I just ordered a 2017 GLE350 4Matic and I have been driving BMW for the past 13 years and I am over them. I think their quality has gone down, they don't look nearly as good as they used to and dealing with their maintenance programs is a pain in the ***. They fight you on everything. It's is far from what it used to be. I love my X5 but it is time for a new SUV and beyond the issues mentioned above the new X5 looks and drives like a minivan in my opeinion. My X5 can drive circles around the new one. I looked at the rover sport and the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. I loved the rover and the Q7 but the rover is an overpriced POS even though I do love them and the Audi was great really had nothing bad to say about it other than they will not budge on the price for a prestige model. Same thing goes for rover they wont sell the car for less that 1 or 2k off sticker. What really pissed me off at rover is they "said" they have a small mark up thinking I didn't do my research and the car I test drove had 7k of wiggle room over invoice. Don't lie just tell me you are not interested in selling a car for any less. Call me cheap but I refuse to pay sticker or 1.5k off sticker. I don't believe any car is worth paying sticker for. I do have a very good connection at benz so I get amazing Deals and the sticker on my build was 74k and I got it for a few thousand below invoice. I bought my wife a new 2015 c300 when it first came out and it drives great, looks awesome, and hasn't given one days problem. i love what Mercedes is doing and for now I am fully onboard. i will agree that the GLE needs an updated interior and I am sure they will follow with the lines of the new E in the next gen.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Good solid comment... bravo...
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SoCalBenzGuy
First my biggest piece of advice to anyone......never listen entirely to people's opinions. Take them under advisement and learn from them but at the end of the day the way you enjoy a car should only matter to you. It bugs the hell out of me when people can't let other people have their opinions. Because guess what?! They aren't buying it you are and you are the one driving it! Just my 2 cents.......

I just ordered a 2017 GLE350 4Matic and I have been driving BMW for the past 13 years and I am over them. I think their quality has gone down, they don't look nearly as good as they used to and dealing with their maintenance programs is a pain in the ***. They fight you on everything. It's is far from what it used to be. I love my X5 but it is time for a new SUV and beyond the issues mentioned above the new X5 looks and drives like a minivan in my opeinion. My X5 can drive circles around the new one. I looked at the rover sport and the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. I loved the rover and the Q7 but the rover is an overpriced POS even though I do love them and the Audi was great really had nothing bad to say about it other than they will not budge on the price for a prestige model. Same thing goes for rover they wont sell the car for less that 1 or 2k off sticker. What really pissed me off at rover is they "said" they have a small mark up thinking I didn't do my research and the car I test drove had 7k of wiggle room over invoice. Don't lie just tell me you are not interested in selling a car for any less. Call me cheap but I refuse to pay sticker or 1.5k off sticker. I don't believe any car is worth paying sticker for. I do have a very good connection at benz so I get amazing Deals and the sticker on my build was 74k and I got it for a few thousand below invoice. I bought my wife a new 2015 c300 when it first came out and it drives great, looks awesome, and hasn't given one days problem. i love what Mercedes is doing and for now I am fully onboard. i will agree that the GLE needs an updated interior and I am sure they will follow with the lines of the new E in the next gen.

I completely agree with you however honesty is the best policy. MB does some things well, some things very poorly. Other companies are +/-, but these forums are all about being honest. IF certain downfalls of one person don't affect you, great, but you should always be informed. The interior needs an update, but there are core problems they need to focus on first. Price aside, I would pay more for the q7/q5/other vehicle knowing it doesn't have the performance issues MB has even if they won't budge. For me, these performance issues are a big problem. Today, I tried to cross a busy intersection(2 lanes each way, 45mph speed limit, nothing major, it was coming out of a supermarket) and my GLE decided to stay in 2nd and rev to 6k RPM when I slammed on the gas to cross; it didn't give me the torque and acceleration I EXPECT from this type of vehicle and put me in a very compromising situation. This was my first luxury purchase and I have regrets I don't want others to have as these are thins you'll only notice with long term usage.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
anyone expects anything special from ML or GLE ?
These are high volume production cars, with problably 500 to 700 running of the assembly line every day, just for the North American market alone!. It's pretty cookie cutter stuff with nothing special compared to anything. you either like it or you don't.

When it comes to MB radio/Command, it's junk as is BMW/Landrover, even Chrysler's uConnect and HK sound runs circles around it.

There's no perfect SUV, Some are just simply ugly to look at and others lack big time in very basic stuff (for $60k...)
It's finding a happy medium with what you as the owner like.

I like the ML/GLE overall but certainly conservative interior/electronics and certainly a tradeoffto electronics, sound system compared to other cars.

Last edited by nookie; 12-24-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
i've driven them all and my friends have the BMW, Range Rover Porsche and the Audi, i'll take the merc any day of the week
Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I think the Cayenne is about to get a new look soon. If you're thinking about the GLE? Coupe is the way to go, I would never get the reg GLE. GLE AMG Coupe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018-19 GLE