GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any Lawyers out... our BRAND new GLE wrecked at Costco Today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
And for the record, you ain't getting nuthin for diminished value on a door ding. You can barely get it if your car was actually wrecked.

Save your sanity (and give your wife the gift of you not muttering about this for the next decade) and do the repair, then plan a road trip with the family. You'll get a rock chip on your hood but don't plan on suing the almighty for putting the rock on that road. You actually have a better chance at winning this than you do getting diminished value.

And...LOL @ "wrecked" in the title.

Last edited by 27T; 02-08-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 AM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Boston
Jan AMG- Understand & agree we are not talking about a 1954 Mercedes Formula 1 race car & that GLE's are a dime a dozen. That said, I spent over $60K on it & I was just pissed as it was for my wife & I put a lot of time & effort into getting everything just right (lots of addtl accessories, had car & rims waxed, etc., etc.). That, combined with losing a family member last week magnified the entire situation for me. I guess the real conversation or thread should be about "diminished value" & how to assure you don't get screwed by insurance companies. Thanks for your comments.
rims waxed?! that changes everything. i agree you deserve a new car.

some who lose a family member will look at door dings as insignificant and realize that there are more important things.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 AM
27T

13ML BT
To get diminished value, you have to prove that you got less for you car because of the repair. That means you have sell it and prove that your sales price was less than what it would have sold for without the repair. Try proving that. ANd even if you do, you still only have a .05% chance of getting diminished value compensation.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLE 350 SUV Premium 3
As a fellow owner of a 2017 GLE with Diamond (Blue) Metallic Silver, I shudder at your experience. I paid $1200 to get the grille and hood coated with Xpel "Paint Protection Film." I have found that to be excellent thus far in resisting bug and road nicks, and I have heard that it may also offer some resistance to parking lot nicks (at least on the front only!). But it would be over $3000 to get the entire car covered. But that may not have helped in your situation anyway. I have been driving MZ for over 40 years, and, like the others here, I still go nuts over each nick or chip!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
My friend who happens to own a couple of Benzes and is a huge petrolhead bought a Citroen Cactus so he could happily drive downtown

Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by sayhibob
As a fellow owner of a 2017 GLE with Diamond (Blue) Metallic Silver, I shudder at your experience. I paid $1200 to get the grille and hood coated with Xpel "Paint Protection Film." I have found that to be excellent thus far in resisting bug and road nicks, and I have heard that it may also offer some resistance to parking lot nicks (at least on the front only!). But it would be over $3000 to get the entire car covered. But that may not have helped in your situation anyway. I have been driving MZ for over 40 years, and, like the others here, I still go nuts over each nick or chip!
Bob- Thanks for the response. I don't think Xpel would have helped... the guy let go of his cart (1/2 full) and it rolled backwards down an incline and right into the rear door panel. As others have pointed out, it's not a huge deal, but a bummer nonetheless as I had the GLE "just right" (other than seats) with accessories, wax job, etc. 3 Questions for you... given we have same vehicle- #1 can you view my thread re "loose upholstery" & provide pics/feedback? #2 What wheels do you have? I spec'ed my wifes with the twin 5 spoke & they look good but want a nicer 3 season set of rims/tires. #3 I want to add a rear deck spoiler to give GLE a finished look but have not found a factory or aftermarket one that looks decent so I may design/fabricate one myself. (Again there is a thread on this) What are your thoughts about the look of the GLE in the rear (profile just doesn't look finished to me).
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
My friend who happens to own a couple of Benzes and is a huge petrolhead bought a Citroen Cactus so he could happily drive downtown

AWESOME... wish they sold in USA! How about MB make a nice color matched side moulding that sticks on with 3M then we could simply spend a hundred or two & replace that each time some jerk dings your door! (Although that would not have prevented my damage in this particular situation) Love the Cactus idea though!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Jan AMG

AWESOME... wish they sold in USA! How about MB make a nice color matched side moulding that sticks on with 3M then we could simply spend a hundred or two & replace that each time some jerk dings your door! (Although that would not have prevented my damage in this particular situation) Love the "Cactus" idea though!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by 27T
To get diminished value, you have to prove that you got less for you car because of the repair. That means you have sell it and prove that your sales price was less than what it would have sold for without the repair. Try proving that. ANd even if you do, you still only have a .05% chance of getting diminished value compensation.
Dimished value does not require an actual sale here in MD. We make these claims all the time for our clients, and we get them paid. Some carriers fight more than others, but they all pony up. It has become a cottage industry down here, and there are a few experts who we regularly use to do this work. The courts will often even accept just a written report if it is a small claim or the other side stipulates. Personally I have settled all the ones that came across my desk.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
lease it next time......
The following users liked this post:
longslim (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:18 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by SEXYBEAST
lease it next time......
Now there is a simple solution!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser

Jacoby & Meyers
1-800-411-4LAW
WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR DENT

Old 02-17-2017, 05:29 AM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by DarrenK
Dimished value does not require an actual sale here in MD. We make these claims all the time for our clients, and we get them paid. Some carriers fight more than others, but they all pony up. It has become a cottage industry down here, and there are a few experts who we regularly use to do this work. The courts will often even accept just a written report if it is a small claim or the other side stipulates. Personally I have settled all the ones that came across my desk.
Diminished value for a scratch? Never. Going. To. Happen.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 AM
27T

13ML BT
Bob- Thanks for the response. I don't think Xpel would have helped... the guy let go of his cart (1/2 full) and it rolled backwards down an incline and right into the rear door panel. As others have pointed out, it's not a huge deal, but a bummer nonetheless as I had the GLE "just right" (other than seats) with accessories, wax job, etc. 3 Questions for you... given we have same vehicle- #1 can you view my thread re "loose upholstery" & provide pics/feedback? #2 What wheels do you have? I spec'ed my wifes with the twin 5 spoke & they look good but want a nicer 3 season set of rims/tires. #3 I want to add a rear deck spoiler to give GLE a finished look but have not found a factory or aftermarket one that looks decent so I may design/fabricate one myself. (Again there is a thread on this) What are your thoughts about the look of the GLE in the rear (profile just doesn't look finished to me).
Talk about diminishing the value of a car. Adding aftermarket parts will be a significant driver of lower value much more than a scratch or ding. It'll be even worse if you fabricate one yourself.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM

GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by 27T
Diminished value for a scratch? Never. Going. To. Happen.
Read. Much. Way to take what I said completely out of context. Lol. My point waas you are 100% wrong, Diminshed value does not require a sale here in my state. I never said the OP would get diminished value for a scratch. RIF. Try it.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 PM
27T

13ML BT
So defensive. ^^^ (you got so red-in-the-face upset that your post is mostly unintelligible...I hope you're not practicing law.)

Reality is that he has zero chance at DV. Zero.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 PM

GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by 27T
So defensive. ^^^ (you got so red-in-the-face upset that your post is mostly unintelligible...I hope you're not practicing law.)

Reality is that he has zero chance at DV. Zero.
Not red in the face or mad. I was just mocking you. Sorry you were not able to understand it. A reflection on you really more than anything else. Sad.

You also seem to be unable to comprehend my point, that I never said the original poster could get diminished value. I was responding to your completely inaccurate post about requiring a sale to get diminished value.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Update- The body shop quoted me $1400 for the dent repair/ repaint (not including car rental, etc.) Given this will show up on the Carfax; there is no reason I should not be entitled to DV. The reality is if I sell/trade the GLE, I'll get less $ as a result. Will update you when the insuance company gets back to me next week.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
I think its time to have Costco do the right thing, and have them make him whole by arranging a new GLE (through their auto purchasing service of course) swap for $0, and a free Executive Membership for life! Also a promise to have warning signs indicating when the parking area is out of level to prevent incidents like this in the future.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Update- The body shop quoted me $1400 for the dent repair/ repaint (not including car rental, etc.) Will update you when the insurance company gets back to me next week.
Maybe I missed this part, but who's paying for this? Did the guy with the shopping cart agree to pay, or are you going through your insurance? This sounds like it would be covered via the "comprehensive" portion of your policy. Just for future reference, you can eliminate the comprehensive deductible altogether with only a minimal increase in premiums. I did this years ago. Cracked windshield, door dents, vandalism, theft, hail damage, fire damage, hit an animal.....all cost NOTHING to repair. Check your policy. You'd be surprised how little it cost.

I know this doesn't help you now. Just some helpful info for the future.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:19 AM
27T

13ML BT
Update- The body shop quoted me $1400 for the dent repair/ repaint (not including car rental, etc.) Given this will show up on the Carfax; there is no reason I should not be entitled to DV. The reality is if I sell/trade the GLE, I'll get less $ as a result. Will update you when the insuance company gets back to me next week.
Not guaranteed to show up on carfax. Even if police report taken, reported to DMV and insurance involved.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:21 AM
27T

13ML BT
Not red in the face or mad. I was just mocking you. Sorry you were not able to understand it. A reflection on you really more than anything else. Sad.

You also seem to be unable to comprehend my point, that I never said the original poster could get diminished value. I was responding to your completely inaccurate post about requiring a sale to get diminished value.

No one is getting DV for scratch. That's absolutely laughable.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

'Uh-oh, Better Get Maaco'

Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 AM

GLE 550e, BMW Z3
Originally Posted by 27T

No one is getting DV for scratch. That's absolutely laughable.
Why do you repeat the same nonsense? No one ever said that.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:39 AM
27T

13ML BT
Why do you repeat the same nonsense? No one ever said that.
I never said that you claimed the OP can get DV for a scratch. You talk about comprehension but you get so red-faced-mad that you concocted a dialog that didn't exist. Crazy.

You say my info is nonsense...but in reality it is accurate. Getting a scratch will not result in a successful DV claim. Since you claim my post is nonsense you must believe that the OP isn't wasting his time. Make up your mind.

Try not to blow a gasket. Meditate?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Lawyers out... our BRAND new GLE wrecked at Costco Today!