GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any Lawyers out... our BRAND new GLE wrecked at Costco Today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
BRAND new GLE wrecked at Costco Today!

So the wife, baby & I decide to go to Costco today to "gear up" for Superbowl in our new GLE with 440 miles on it. I intentionally park as far away from store where no one else was parked to avoid door dingers. As we are driving out of the lot some guy is filling his minivan with purchased items. We were stopped in traffic exiting when the guy lets go of his cart (still half full of his stuff) and it rolls backwards about 8' and slams the passenger rear door of the GLE leaving a small dent & 2 scratches. The color is diamond silver (light blue) and they will never match it. I am pissed & don't want to be an *** but really just want a new car at this point. He apologized and gave insurance info but I don't think his auto insurance will cover it. Will I just have to sue for negligence? I really don't want to fix the car. Any users have thoughts/options?

Last edited by Boston; 02-07-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Change posting title
Old 02-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
Sucks!!.

I know silver is and diamond white are very, very hard colors to match. but....

I've seen cars at the local MB shop scratched up and come back in both those colors and could NOT tell in any light angle.

It's possible!!, a good painter can do it.

Trading will cost thousands and you'll end up with another scratch, I guarrantee it.

The local shop that does the work for MB is Colorworks, think they are a francise.

Accident dollar recovery like this are hard to win in court, cause drama and money up front. Sounds maybe lacks, but I would put some effort in recovering your deductible for sure and try to get insurance to cover it. end it there cause it will consume weeks or months of your time....

Last edited by nookie; 02-04-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Relax, take it to the Dealer and ask them about PDR and fixing the scratches, you'd be amazed at what they do today. Yes I'd be upset at 440 miles but believe me it's not going to be your first or last imperfection.

I just wonder if the other guys insurance will actually pay since he was not in the car and driving.

If not don't open a claim with your insurance company before asking him to pay out if pocket
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - get a Mercedes Certified Collision Center to give you a quote to do the repair - the metallic can be done correctly with their correct training and material - "guaranteed" actually.

This link is the Mercedes Certified Collision Center locator:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/deale...OLLISIONCENTER

Please understand that ANY processed/paid insurance claim will show on CarFax - without amping out on that - it's called "Diminished Value" and unless your state has specific laws on that any CarFax "acccident" means you lose "some" future value.

In this case - for the guy who "hit" you - and for you - it might be better for him to man up and you cash for the repair - private cash paid repairs - not involving insurance - "normally" are not reported to CarFax - and do NOT have your dealer service department handle the repair - do direct with Collision only.

I'm sorry this happened - please understand "Small dent and 2 scratches" is not going to get your GLE "replaced" by insurance - and I don't know of a Court proceeding that will award you in dollar equivalent of replacement..
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
You won't get a new car from any insurance carrier.

You can file a diminished value claim and fight it out with insurance company, but it's certainly not totaled, and no insurance carrier is going to buy you out.

You suffered a financial loss and can expect to be compensated according to damage and value lost.

Last edited by Mike450; 02-04-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
If you go forward and get insurance to pay out, there will probably be a ding on your carfax about the car. I don't like or trust carfax, or autocheck, but it is what it is and people now a days live by them so make sure you document the damage and ask for "diminished value."
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Lol... you ain't getting a new car; if only we could all sue for negligence on every car accident

sorry about your experience and a good body shop will match the paint

been there.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Mike450
You won't get a new car from any insurance carrier.

You can file a diminished value claim and fight it out with insurance company, but it's certainly not totaled, and no insurance carrier is going to buy you out.

You suffered a financial loss and can expect to be compensated according to damage and value lost.
Thanks for the info on the diminished value claim, I'll have to research how to calculate it. Perhaps If I can get enough I can trade it in for a new one, eat the difference then sue in small claims for that amount.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by nookie
Sucks!!.

I know silver is and diamond white are very, very hard colors to match. but....

I've seen cars at the local MB shop scratched up and come back in both those colors and could NOT tell in any light angle.

It's possible!!, a good painter can do it.

Trading will cost thousands and you'll end up with another scratch, I guarrantee it.

The local shop that does the work for MB is Colorworks, think they are a francise.

Accident dollar recovery like this are hard to win in court, cause drama and money up front. Sounds maybe lacks, but I would put some effort in recovering your deductible for sure and try to get insurance to cover it. end it there cause it will consume weeks or months of your time....
Sound advice, appreciate your input.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Rainers
Relax, take it to the Dealer and ask them about PDR and fixing the scratches, you'd be amazed at what they do today. Yes I'd be upset at 440 miles but believe me it's not going to be your first or last imperfection.

I just wonder if the other guys insurance will actually pay since he was not in the car and driving.

If not don't open a claim with your insurance company before asking him to pay out if pocket
Good thoughts. If I file a claim it will also diminish my value when it comes time to trade, etc. I agree his auto insurance probably will not cover it, perhaps honeowners or umbrella policy. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 AM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure - get a Mercedes Certified Collision Center to give you a quote to do the repair - the metallic can be done correctly with their correct training and material - "guaranteed" actually.

This link is the Mercedes Certified Collision Center locator:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/deale...OLLISIONCENTER

Please understand that ANY processed/paid insurance claim will show on CarFax - without amping out on that - it's called "Diminished Value" and unless your state has specific laws on that any CarFax "acccident" means you lose "some" future value.

In this case - for the guy who "hit" you - and for you - it might be better for him to man up and you cash for the repair - private cash paid repairs - not involving insurance - "normally" are not reported to CarFax - and do NOT have your dealer service department handle the repair - do direct with Collision only.

I'm sorry this happened - please understand "Small dent and 2 scratches" is not going to get your GLE "replaced" by insurance - and I don't know of a Court proceeding that will award you in dollar equivalent of replacement..
Fabbrisd1- Thanks for the link & your thoughts on this as well as the advise to avoid dealer on it! I will talk with the guy on Monday and see if he will "Man up" & go from there.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
Though I do understand your frustration you are living in a fantasy world if you think that they should buy you out and you should be able to get a replacement car. That is absurd! The person who hit you gave you his insurance and apologized for the incident. You should be happy with that alone. 90% of the time you don't even get that with these situations and that is what really sucks. It's a car and these thing are going to happen. Yes it hurts more now because the car doesn't even have 500 miles on it but it will eventually happen. Get it fixed and move on. At the end of the day is it really with your time for all of this nonsense? I would love to see a picture of the "damage" though if you get a chance upload a picture.

Sorry that this happened again but manage your expectations. If you live in San Diego by any chance there is a really good Mercedes repair facility by the name of Amato's Auto Body. They are certified for Benz, BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lambo, etc etc etc.

I am crazy about my car also and these things have happened to me in every car I have owned and I also am like you and park at the back of the lot to avoid these issues. No one has ever left me a note and it fell on me to fix. Your situation is t that bad. Just get it fixed at a certified shop and you will be happy with the result.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)

Gee, with a heading like that I thought somebody got hurt or that something actually happened to this guy or someone he loves. Turns out it's nothing, he just can't figure that out.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 AM

2015 gl450
Think you are frustrated now, wait until you deal with the insurance on a DV claim.

Any calculation you come up with will be no where near what they may offer you.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by SoCalBenzGuy
Though I do understand your frustration you are living in a fantasy world if you think that they should buy you out and you should be able to get a replacement car. That is absurd! The person who hit you gave you his insurance and apologized for the incident. You should be happy with that alone. 90% of the time you don't even get that with these situations and that is what really sucks. It's a car and these thing are going to happen. Yes it hurts more now because the car doesn't even have 500 miles on it but it will eventually happen. Get it fixed and move on. At the end of the day is it really with your time for all of this nonsense? I would love to see a picture of the "damage" though if you get a chance upload a picture.

Sorry that this happened again but manage your expectations. If you live in San Diego by any chance there is a really good Mercedes repair facility by the name of Amato's Auto Body. They are certified for Benz, BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lambo, etc etc etc.

I am crazy about my car also and these things have happened to me in every car I have owned and I also am like you and park at the back of the lot to avoid these issues. No one has ever left me a note and it fell on me to fix. Your situation is t that bad. Just get it fixed at a certified shop and you will be happy with the result.
Fair enough; the time sink is definately a factor & it seems that one is never compensated for thier time in these situations. I don't feel like I should eat the diminished value though since we had zero fault in this circumstance. I would be curious to see what the dealer would give me for mine right now though. Thanks for the "tough love". Not in San Diego (see my user name) ... Live in Championshipsville....oops I mean Boston!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Mike450
Think you are frustrated now, wait until you deal with the insurance on a DV claim.

Any calculation you come up with will be no where near what they may offer you.
Thanks for the encouraging words.... if we hadn't won the Superbowl last night I might be totally depressed! Will post results once complete. Their must be some legal way to calculate diminished value?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:52 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by mustbebenz

Gee, with a heading like that I thought somebody got hurt or that something actually happened to this guy or someone he loves. Turns out it's nothing, he just can't figure that out.
You are right... in the grand scheme of life it is nothing... no one hurt is huge! My disappointment with the situation is that I spent an addtl. 3K on extras trying to make it a perfect gift for the wife & she is somewhat bummed out. It's more of a happy wife/happy life thing but you are certainly correct about it not being a big deal.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Boston
You are right... in the grand scheme of life it is nothing... no one hurt is huge! My disappointment with the situation is that I spent an addtl. 3K on extras trying to make it a perfect gift for the wife & she is somewhat bummed out. It's more of a happy wife/happy life thing but you are certainly correct about it not being a big deal.
I don't blame you for being pissed. I would be too. I'm extremely fastidious when it comes to my vehicles, so trust me, I understand. I think it was just the title of the thread that threw some people (including me) off. When I clicked on the thread, I was expecting to see pics of a demolished vehicle, a tow truck, a crowd of spectators.....and maybe even an ambulance in the background!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
It can be fixed good as new. Take it to a MB center to be fixed. I have a Diamond Silver C class that was hit. It was fixed. Cannot tell it ever happened.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Op you seem like a good guy and Are taking this very well and reasonably

I wish you speedy repair and resolution
Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Your car is scratched and you want a new one? You could be swapping cars like this forever.

I understand it sucks but at the same point you should be happy because from this point onwards your mind will be free.

Been there..
Happened to my new W221 - X5 reversed into my door in a parking lot and my freshly painted W126 has now dents in 3 places (matter of weeks after whole body repaint). Such is life and cars are ephemeral.
The W221 was repaired and painted, it was like new again. The W126 can be now parked with much more freedom.
I was a much happier person from the W221 moment because I knew everything can be fixed.. really.. just a car (on top of that your GLE is just a consumer car manufactured in huge volumes with no significant value after 10 years from now)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Your car is scratched and you want a new one? You could be swapping cars like this forever.

I understand it sucks but at the same point you should be happy because from this point onwards your mind will be free.

Been there..
Happened to my new W221 - X5 reversed into my door in a parking lot and my freshly painted W126 has now dents in 3 places (matter of weeks after whole body repaint). Such is life and cars are ephemeral.
The W221 was repaired and painted, it was like new again. The W126 can be now parked with much more freedom.
I was a much happier person from the W221
moment because I knew everything can be fixed.. really.. just a car (on top of that your GLE is just a consumer car manufactured in huge volumes with no significant value after 10 years from now)
Jan AMG- Understand & agree we are not talking about a 1954 Mercedes Formula 1 race car & that GLE's are a dime a dozen. That said, I spent over $60K on it & I was just pissed as it was for my wife & I put a lot of time & effort into getting everything just right (lots of addtl accessories, had car & rims waxed, etc., etc.). That, combined with losing a family member last week magnified the entire situation for me. I guess the real conversation or thread should be about "diminished value" & how to assure you don't get screwed by insurance companies. Thanks for your comments.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 PM

GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
If you go forward and get insurance to pay out, there will probably be a ding on your carfax about the car. I don't like or trust carfax, or autocheck, but it is what it is and people now a days live by them so make sure you document the damage and ask for "diminished value."
"Bacn"- Thanks for this... very good advice. The only formula I found to do this was on Wikihow & apparently it is weighted to save the insurance company's money. I guess perhaps the true measure of DV would be to see what my dealer would give me for it on a trade?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM

2015 gl450
"Bacn"- Thanks for this... very good advice. The only formula I found to do this was on Wikihow & apparently it is weighted to save the insurance company's money. I guess perhaps the true measure of DV would be to see what my dealer would give me for it on a trade?
Ask your dealer for verified report of what your car was worth immediately before the damage and after.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Thanks for the info on the diminished value claim, I'll have to research how to calculate it. Perhaps If I can get enough I can trade it in for a new one, eat the difference then sue in small claims for that amount.
What happens does suck but you need to chillax. Get it fixed and move on with life. ***** happens. You have your health and wealth. Enjoy it.

bwahahaha at wanting a new car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Lawyers out... our BRAND new GLE wrecked at Costco Today!