Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How much to buff out a paint scratch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle 550e
Question How much to buff out a paint scratch?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum because I just (within the month) got a new MB GLE550.

It looks like when I was parked yesterday, someone swiped the front part of my car and it now has a white paint park, but I'm not sure if my actual car is scratched or if there is just white paint on it.

I'd like to get this fixed, without spending more than I have to. Anyone know how much my authorized service center would charge to buff it out? Am I better off going to a regular auto body shop to get it buffed out? What's the general cost and expected turn around time for this work?

Thank you!!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
go to a local detail shop and see if they can buff it out
Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM

gle 550e
Originally Posted by Rainers
go to a local detail shop and see if they can buff it out

thanks! Any idea how much it should be?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 4matic
No harm in asking a local detail shop and an authorized auto body shop what it would cost to buff/repair the mark on your car. If it's just a paint scuff, I would think that would be much easier and less costly than having scratches that need repairing.
As far as time, if it as simple as buffing it out, it could be a quick item, maybe as little as an hour or two. Of course the more involved the fix, the longer the time frame as well as it depends on the shops jobs that they have going at the time.
I have no idea on possible costs, not likely that any shop would quote you over the phone. They would want to take a look at it in person.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
$100 to polish/buff if it's only in the clear coat

if it's a respray then they need to blend multiple panels and it's about $1000-2000 depending on who you ask

you can take some polish for about $10 and the soft pad that comes with it and remove most of that paint yourself with elbow grease. If it looks deeper after your polish then you need professional repair
Old 03-03-2017, 02:47 PM

gle 550e
thanks for all the help! ill take it in next week and see what they say!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM

gle 550e
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
$100 to polish/buff if it's only in the clear coat

if it's a respray then they need to blend multiple panels and it's about $1000-2000 depending on who you ask

you can take some polish for about $10 and the soft pad that comes with it and remove most of that paint yourself with elbow grease. If it looks deeper after your polish then you need professional repair

i know this is a dumb question, but when you mean polish, what does that mean? what's it called in the store?

thanks!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Ask for a swirl remover to start with, I think with your expirence you should not try anything harsher. Leave that up to someone who can do a better job for you.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You can try the EZ way - a diatomaceous earth based polish - the polishing grains beak down with heavy pressure - so "safe" to use by hand with a microfiber cloth ..

Amazon Amazon

Squirt a 25/quarter size dollop on the cloth - small circle medium rub - keep fresh polish back on the cloth - wait for residual to haze and wipe off with dry cloth - 20 min you should be way done with what can be done by hand - and handy polish to have around.

A "old school guy" would take a rag with brake cleaner - user that to wipe off any paint transfer - then buff the reat

A "bidy shop" or "detailer will charge about $30/$40 to use a buffer and mild abrasive to take it off - the advantage of the buffer is high speed can "mend" minor scratches that might be under the paint transfer/if they are there.

Keep the beat !